• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Now this is gonna be interesting, not because of a poll, but because SG already made a poll for Smash 4 and I think it'd be great to compare the results, especially due to all the things that have happened in the last 5 years
Given how much the speculation cycle has changed, especially with the base game and DLC, I can see a huge mix up in character speculation and we may get new frontrunners or characters thought weren't in demand would now be requested.

It'll be such a good way to tally things up and compare.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Alright let me see if I can figure you two out and explain my reasoning!

MooMew64 MooMew64

You want:
Octoling - I remember you having a Splatoon profile pic of... I'm gonna say Callie with a santa hat?
Gooigi - I want to say that this is japes but I'm going to go against my gut feeling on this and say you do actually want him.
Travis Touchdown - Come on, you can't tell me you don't want Travis Touchdown. It'd be a falsehood to deny it.

Don't want
Geno - I think remember you not really getting the appeal of him.
Dante - I don't think I remember you talking about Dante very much.
Arle - Same thing with Dante. I don't remember you talking about her that much, even when she was the discussion of the month.
Ah, close, but not completely right:

Octoling and Gooigi are 100% correct, however, Travis and Arle need to be swapped: I don't desire Travis at all, lol. Puyo Puyo is my favorite puzzle game, so I'd be thrilled to see her, and I have brought her up a few times when the conversation has shifted over to Sega content.

D

Deleted member

I'll have a go at this game, because why not.

Geno
Issac
Steve
Kos-Mos
Shantae
Crash Bandicoot

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Oh this will be fun. Let’s see. My 6 are:

Crash Bandicoot
KOS-MOS
Sora
Waluigi
Rayman
New Pokémon from Sword & Shield
I don't know anything about you but I'm gonna try to guess with the information I found by digging through your postings.
Want: SwSh pokemon, Sora, KOS-MOS
Don't want: Waluigi, Crash, Rayman
You talked about Spirit deconfirming fighters and said they mean nothing, then you brought SwSh pokemon. For Sora, you made an individual code name for him.
Waluigi and Crash, you said 'I feel the same way'-ish thing to a post saying 'I don't want Crash and Waluigi as a fighter'. The rest are just guesses.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I don't know anything about you but I'm gonna try to guess with the information I found by digging through your postings.
Want: SwSh pokemon, Sora, KOS-MOS
Don't want: Waluigi, Crash, Rayman
You talked about Spirit deconfirming fighters and said they mean nothing, then you brought SwSh pokemon. For Sora, you made an individual code name for him.
Waluigi and Crash, you said 'I feel the same way'-ish thing to a post saying 'I don't want Crash and Waluigi as a fighter'. The rest are just guesses.
We have a winner ladies and gentlemen!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Given how much the speculation cycle has changed, especially with the base game and DLC, I can see a huge mix up in character speculation and we may get new frontrunners or characters thought weren't in demand would now be requested.

It'll be such a good way to tally things up and compare.
That's honestly what would be exciting about another official Ballot if it'd ever happen. Regardless of what results would occur, I'd genuinely would like to see more people at least be less scared to talk about who they really want regardless of how likely the community thinks they are, or any established rules or patterns.

On top of all that, Ballot characters like Bayo, K.Rool, Ridley, Simon, Wolf, ICs, and Inkling(was gonna happen anyway) are in the game now, so how would the voting change?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Here goes.

Geno
2B
Rillaboom
Doomguy
Reimu
Heihachi
Want: 2B, Rillaboom, Doomguy
Don't want: Geno, Reimu, Heihachi

Gotta say, I admire how you keep finding new gifs of Cortez.

This looks fun. I'll take "don't want" as "lack of want" because I want many characters and the ones I actively dislike I've been very vocal about. Let's see if this is hard to guess:

Rayman
Geralt
Elma
Shantae
Sora
Adol
Want: Geralt, Sora, Adol
Don't want: Rayman, Elma, Shantae

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Now this is gonna be interesting, not because of a poll, but because SG already made a poll for Smash 4 and I think it'd be great to compare the results, especially due to all the things that have happened in the last 5 years
They actually made another one in 2018 just before the E3 info dump.

https://sourcegaming.info/2018/06/10/mega-smash-poll-switch-results/

Results are quite funny compared to what we actually got, no Dragon Quest or Fatal Fury presence at all. Surprinsingly, :ultjoker: still had some votes back then.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
That's honestly what would be exciting about another official Ballot if it'd ever happen. Regardless of what results would occur, I'd genuinely would like to see more people at least be less scared to talk about who they really want regardless of how likely the community thinks they are, or any established rules or patterns.

On top of all that, Ballot characters like Bayo, K.Rool, Ridley, Simon, Wolf, ICs, and Inkling(was gonna happen anyway) are in the game now, so how would the voting change?
This is what I have a problem with the community mainly. A good chunk of people usually seem to put down others for having "Less safe" character wants than the typical handful you commonly hear about. Whether due to ignorance, dislike of a series, or not knowing what said series this character is from, some people put down others choices of characters unless they're the typical "Safe" selection.

With us getting requested characters in already, it'd be nice to see new faces pop up and get a chance to shine. It's why I prefer to talk about other characters than the typical Geno/Sora/Waluigi/Doom Guy crowd.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Oh this will be fun. Let’s see. My 6 are:

Crash Bandicoot
KOS-MOS
Sora
Waluigi
Rayman
New Pokémon from Sword & Shield
You don’t want Crash, New Pokemon and Waluigi. You do want Sora, Rayman and KOSMOS. Oops. Just read another page and seemed someone else already predicted.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'll do the game too. There aren't a total of three characters I dislike that wouldn't be immediately obvious though (like, if I put Bubsy on it), so some might be indifference instead.

Crash Bandicoot
Earthworm Jim
Waluigi
Edelgard
Bandana Dee
Crono

D

Deleted member

I'll do the game too. There aren't a total of three characters I dislike that wouldn't be immediately obvious though (like, if I put Bubsy on it), so some might be indifference instead.

Crash Bandicoot
Earthworm Jim
Waluigi
Edelgard
Bandana Dee
Crono
Want: Edelgard, Crash, and Crono
Don't Want: Waluigi, Jim, Bandana Dee

Edelgard and Crash were obvious. The rest were not.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Crash Bandicoot
Earthworm Jim
Waluigi
Edelgard
Bandana Dee
Crono
Opo even I can tell what this is. You've been vocal on disliking Doug Tennapal for completely valid reasons, the Bandana Dee Brigade is something you've mentioned disliking and as you've been very vocal on liking Edie and Waluigi alongside being the Crash Support thread OP, Crono's the odd one out

D

Deleted member

Opo even I can tell what this is. You've been vocal on disliking Doug Tennapal for completely valid reasons, the Bandana Dee Brigade is something you've mentioned disliking and as you've been very vocal on liking Edie and Waluigi alongside being the Crash Support thread OP, Crono's the odd one out
Okay Gwen. Way to style on me with this expert Opossum intel I didn't have.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I'll try the 3 want and 3 don't want game too since it seems fun and here is my 6.

Darkrai
Flandre Scarlet
Mishima Heihachi
Monokuma
Crash
Master Chief

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Calamitas Calamitas

You want:
Elma - Xenoblade avatar and I remember mentioning that you part of the Elma thread.
Rex & Pyra - I think I remember you talking about wanting Rex & Pyra in one of your wishlists
Akira Howard - I remember you being sad when they were confirmed as spirits

Geno - v
Chibi-Robo - All three I've never heard you talk about much.
Waluigi - ^
That's two out of three. I absolutely hate Rex & Pyra and do actually want Waluigi.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I got another list here of for those who want to take another guess for me:

Eggman
Doom Slayer
Sephiroth
Mallow
Hat Kid
Waluigi

Should be pretty easy, but I have a feeling one or two of these might make some second-guess.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I got another list here of for those who want to take another guess for me:

Eggman
Doom Slayer
Sephiroth
Mallow
Hat Kid
Waluigi

Should be pretty easy, but I have a feeling one or two of these might make some second-guess.

Want- Sephiroth, Hat Kid, Waluigi
Don't want- Eggman, Doom Slayer, Mallow

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
huh, I guess y'all are being pretty chill with this

none of these are necessarily the absolute top of the tops or the worst of the worst. Simply characters I have a slightly more positive or negative spin on

2B
Kratos
Jonesy
Travis
Professor Layton
Lloyd

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I shall partake I guess

Poison
Geno
Cinderace
Lulu Baran
Kassandra
Goemon
Want: Poison, Kassandra, Lulu Baran
Don't Want: Geno, Goemon, Cinderace

My logic was you wanted character I didn't know and vice versa, except Poison. I just guessed you liked her because it was very specific.

Last edited by a moderator:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm gonna do this list thing as well (I Don't hate any characters, but for characters i "dislike" I chose one i thought be would very indifferent, disappointing, or just bland for me. Also didn't chose top 3 most wanted, since there only 1 character really want)

Bandanna Dee
Reimu
Velvet
Adol
Shadow The Hedgehog
Dante

Also if someone guesses wrong do we correct them?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If anyone is interested, SourceGaming is hosting another Mega Fan Poll.

I'm going to singlehandedly get Sigurd to the top of this poll.

On a more serious note, I generally expect the big change between this and 2018 one is third parties will do much better than before. Getting 4 in the previous pass and the branding of Smash as a more general gaming crossover brings a momentum that generally benefits third party support across the board. I'm going to be bold and say that 75% of the top 20 will be third parties, with most of the most popular first parties placing towards the bottom of that number. Waluigi will likely be the exception. Indies will also take a hard hit relative to 2018 due to the deconfirmations of Shovel Knight, Shantae, Sans, and Cuphead.

Also, I predict Crash will have the most votes of any character. He was #5 on the 2018 poll, so he already has a very solid foundation. Third party momentum, his series growing thanks to the CTR remake and mobile game, and leak talk has made him a popular topic.

Any other predictions on how this might go?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm going to singlehandedly get Sigurd to the top of this poll.

On a more serious note, I generally expect the big change between this and 2018 one is third parties will do much better than before. Getting 4 in the previous pass and the branding of Smash as a more general gaming crossover brings a momentum that generally benefits third party support across the board. I'm going to be bold and say that 75% of the top 20 will be third parties, with most of the most popular first parties placing towards the bottom of that number. Waluigi will likely be the exception. Indies will also take a hard hit relative to 2018 due to the deconfirmations of Shovel Knight, Shantae, Sans, and Cuphead.

Also, I predict Crash will have the most votes of any character. He was #5 on the 2018 poll, so he already has a very solid foundation. Third party momentum, his series growing thanks to the CTR remake and mobile game, and leak talk has made him a popular topic.

Any other predictions on how this might go?
Dante will probably do pretty well. Ryu Hayabusa should place decently well. Sora will still do pretty well despite the fairly pessimistic view of his chances. Shantae and Rayman will still get a good chunk of votes. I don't know about Shovel Knight though, then again he's more popular than most indie characters, so he might do better than Shantae at least.

I could be totally wrong about all of this, but hey, it's no big deal.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually curious how many responses the Source Gaming poll will get; for comparison, the 2018 poll got ~2000 responses.

On the one hand, I feel like the general speculation scene has grown a lot in that time, so the responses might be much greater. On the other hand, there is a lot more suspicion or apathy towards poll these days, at least from what I've seen in this thread, so I wonder if that could reduce turnout.

D

Deleted member

For reference, here's the results of the 2018 poll:
The statistics are going to change on the sole basis of Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie being in. That's over a 1000 votes going to other characters, which is big relative to this poll's sample size.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I just realized the GTA character they had wasn't even CJ. What a disappointment.

For reference, here's the results of the 2018 poll:
I think this is around the time where, Ridley, while still pretty popular, his fans were real low on morale. I know I kind of was. Waluigi will probably do just as well, since he's a freaking Mario character. But I can see Spring-Man and Bomberman taking a huge hit, unfortunately. But with Banjo, Ridley and K.Rool in, that frees up 3 major spaces on these types of polls. I'm betting Rillaboom will just take the Ghost Owl's spot.

I still stand by Dante getting a lot more pull this time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom