• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
With five games in and a wave of dlc just finished, I have a question for everyone. Are any of your dream characters a fighter in smash?

For me, sort of. There were a lot of characters that I liked that got into smash such as Sonic, Mega Man, and Ryu. But I never actively gave much serious thought about the possibility of them arriving before they were revealed. While I'm grateful they got in, Phoenix would technically be the first dream character that I've actively wanted.
Melee::bowsermelee:
Ultimate::ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There's that and also the fact that there just aren't many retro characters put over Takamaru. Balloon Fighter and Mach Rider are the only other ones I think might get in over him.
Meanwhile I'm still out here hoping for Muddy Mole in a future game. :p

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Here's the thing: Ice Climbers were the only characters added in for the sake of having a "retro character".

Like Pit definitely wasn't added to add a new retro rep. He was a genuinely popular request. Sakurai himself said so.

I was well aware that Pit was a popular character in both America and Japan. I tried as best I could to design this version of him in a way that reflected current tastes, so I'm happy to see him so well received.
You could say that Pit was basically the Brawl equivalent of characters like K. Rool or Banjo & Kazooie, popular fan requests that happened to be dormant. People were wanting a new KI game for years, so it made sense that Pit was heavily demanded to be in Smash.

As for Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B and Duck Hunt, it should be noted that Sakurai has never once described them as "retro characters". In his words, they're "surprise characters". And Piranha Plant is meant to be Ultimate's equivalent to them. Which, right then and there, makes the entire concept of "retro fighters" outside of Ice Climbers pretty much null.

So really, ICs were pretty much the only time he ever explictly included a random NES era character for that reason. For all the other characters like Pit, R.O.B and Duck Hunt, it was really more happenstance that they're all old characters.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
With five games in and a wave of dlc just finished, I have a question for everyone. Are any of your dream characters a fighter in smash?

For me, sort of. There were a lot of characters that I liked that got into smash such as Sonic, Mega Man, and Ryu. But I never actively gave much serious thought about the possibility of them arriving before they were revealed. While I'm grateful they got in, Phoenix would technically be the first dream character that I've actively wanted.
Prior to Smash Wii U/3DS being announced, I wanted :4megaman: to be a fighter. I've wanted :ultridley: and :ultkrool: since Smash for Wii U/3DS were announced, and I've wanted :ultjoker: since Ultimate was shown off at E3 2018. Got all of them in Ultimate, and hoping for more of my most wanted to join the roster in the future.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Not going to mention the original or Melee; I can't remember most of the characters that I badly wanted at that time.

Brawl: Meta Knight, Wario, and Sonic were all characters that I really wanted to see in Smash. Some of my first games were the Wario Land games on the Game Boy, I really liked Meta Knight from Kirby Super Star, Nightmare in Dreamland, and Kirby: Right Back At Ya, and after Snake got in, I would have been baffled if Sonic didn't.

Smash 4: Mega Man (I found it weird that he didn't make it into Brawl), Little Mac (I thought the assist trophy in Brawl was a waste), and Bayonetta. (Bayonetta 2 was one of the reasons why I bought a Wii U, and while I felt like she'd be a ton of fun, I didn't think that she was likely - she was one of the characters that I voted for on the Smash Ballot, but part of that was hoping that she could appear in the next Smash game or get a third game further down the line) I suppose it's worth noting that, at the time, I hadn't played Final Fantasy 7.

Ultimate: Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie. The first two were characters that I had wanted since Brawl - both were major villains who felt long overdue for Smash, and it was incredible to see them both get promoted to playable, seemingly because of the sheer fan demand for them. (it helps that they also had the most memorable boss fights of their series) Banjo and Kazooie were characters that I had wanted to see in Smash since the original game, though thanks to Microsoft's buyout of Rare, I felt like it was extremely unlikely.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Here's the thing: Ice Climbers were the only characters added in for the sake of having a "retro character".

Like Pit definitely wasn't added to add a new retro rep. He was a genuinely popular request. Sakurai himself said so.

You could say that Pit was basically the Brawl equivalent of characters like K. Rool or Banjo & Kazooie, popular fan requests that happened to be dormant. People were wanting a new KI game for years, so it made sense that Pit was heavily demanded to be in Smash.

As for Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B and Duck Hunt, it should be noted that Sakurai has never once described them as "retro characters". In his words, they're "surprise characters". And Piranha Plant is meant to be Ultimate's equivalent to them. Which, right then and there, makes the entire concept of "retro fighters" outside of Ice Climbers pretty much null.

So really, ICs were pretty much the only time he ever explictly included a random NES era character for that reason. For all the other characters like Pit, R.O.B and Duck Hunt, it was really more happenstance that they're all old characters.
Who was asking for Pit? I didn't know those games were successful enough for a dedicated community to ask for him for Smash long after his series died.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Who was asking for Pit? I didn't know those games were successful enough for a dedicated community to ask for him for Smash long after his series died.
For what it's worth, the original Kid Icarus on NES sold 1.76 million.

I recall there being a handful of publications during the 64/Melee era like IGN expression their disappointment in Pit not being playable.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Especially after he has stated again and again his disdain for more sword-wielding characters.
Sakurai never stated such a thing. At most, he said he understands that there are complaints about too many sword users and it's not always easy to make them feel distinguished. People just keep taking his words about Byleth out of context.

Also, I don't think it's smart to write off any character's chances just because they happen to use swords, especially after we got two just in this pass.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sakurai never stated such a thing. At most, he said he understands that there are complaints about too many sword users and it's not always easy to make them feel distinguished. People just keep taking his words about Byleth out of context.

Also, I don't think it's smart to write off any character's chances just because they happen to use swords, especially after we got two just in this pass.
Considering Japanese fiction's love of swords/katanas, I'd eat my hat if at least one character in this pass doesn't use a bladed weapon like that.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace

If we limit ourselves away from sword users, we lose out on a ton of potential characters, including some popular ones. The main part is trying to make Sword users feel unique, which would be a main goal and is partially one reason why FE gets a bad rep in Smash other than the ton of characters: Most of them are clones or semi clones of each other that happen to be sword users.

If we get new Sword users in Smash, they'll have their own unique playstyle.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Allow me to add some character development to myself

I actually have never had any dream characters during my time playing the Super Smash Bros series. During the Melee and Brawl days, Having a character I'd really want in Super Smash Bros never crossed my mind for some reason. I just rolled with whatever Sakurai and Nintendo put into the games and I was fine with it, even during the Smash 4 base roster. :ultbanjokazooie: and the Smash ballot changed my mind.

For the record, I'm actually not an OG Banjo & Kazooie fan and I never grew up with the duo. In fact I grew up playing TimeSplitters before I found out about them. I don't know what happened but something in me felt like Banjo & Kazooie deserved to be in Smash Bros and I wasn't going to rest until they finally got in. I've played a lot of Donkey Kong Country when I was younger and I played lots of Goldeneye so I was aware of Rare but didn't find out about Banjo & Kazooie until much later.

Now that they're in Smash Bros, I feel like the game is complete but now I've realised that I could have asked for more. Not that it would change anything but the options to ask for someone else were there. Oh well... that's my story of how I came to realise that I wanted more characters.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If we limit ourselves away from sword users, we lose out on a ton of potential characters, including some popular ones. The main part is trying to make Sword users feel unique, which would be a main goal and is partially one reason why FE gets a bad rep in Smash other than the ton of characters: Most of them are clones or semi clones of each other that happen to be sword users.

With enough effort we could end up with all 6 characters in season 2 being swordfighters lol

Sora, Dante, any tales of protagonist, Professor Layton, any Sakura wars protagonist, etc, etc, etc.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Eh, let people think whatever. I just don't like some of them going "Sakurai secretly hated swords all along!!" when it's obviously not the case.

And Fire Emblem has the same ratio of clones with Zelda now, people are just using Marth clones as an excuse to hate on it.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

It's wild to me that people forget how heavily requested Pit was during Melee. It felt like every single gaming magazine that covered the game was wondering if Pit would get in.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord

I wasn't involved with the Smash fandom before 4's DLC

So far I have:
:ultincineroar:
:ultbanjokazooie:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, Sol's one of those characters I don't know too much about, but I'd be perfectly fine with being added if it ever happened. He looks cool and some interesting moves, so I'd probably end up liking him quite a bit.
He could incorporate air dashes, Roman Cancels and if Sakurai's crazy enough he could make Sol's final Smash an instant kill, like happens in his games lol
Also he has Dragon Install as a transformation. That or roman cancels could use a meter.

And while some of his special moves are somewhat similar to Terry's visually speaking, Gunflame would have less range but taller hitbox, maybe more powerful than Power Wave. His specials could be:

Up Special - Volcanic Viper (0:25 in the video), if Sol hits then he can do Knockdown by pressing the button or entering the command input a second time
Front Special - Bandit Revolver (0:04), but if you charge the move Sol will do Bandit Bringer (0:17)
Back Special - Riot Stamp (0:36)
Neutral Special - Gunflame (0:07)
Down Special - Fafnir (0:48)

Dragon Install (1:03 in the video). It would be very cool if the song that plays changes to Ride the Fire as happens when he uses Dragon Install lol

I wasn't active in speculation before Pit was added but that doesn't surprise me a lot. Sure, I greatly doubt he had the same support as K. Rool or Ridley, but I can see him being a frequent request even if he wasn't the most popular one.
I'm sure a good amount of his supporters back then didn't played the original Kid Icarus or the GB one but I guess that the concept of an angel and all that was enough to convince that people.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If it means much, there was that whole thing with Pit's Melee trophy and the whole "Shall Pit ever fight again?" line at the end that might have helped spark some interest and support for him in the future. Much like how Chrom getting the cold shoulder and the whole "I suppose I get my chance another day" line made some fans wanting to see him in the next game as well.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

Some of them are:

Kirby
Metaknight
King Dedede
Sonic
Young Link
EDIT-Wario

Though, among them I'm only partially* satisfied with Kirby, while for all the other characters I'm disappointed of their moveset.

Metaknight has an incredibly boring moveset, Dedede is annoying and slow, Sonic I don't know, I don't like how they adapted him, and Young Link is still a clone, I would have prefered him to use ocarina songs and masks in his moveset, and Fierce Deity as final smash.

*Partially because I think he could have been done better. Instead of putting random abilities in his moveset such as hammer and stone, they could have used some of his neutral skills (air bullet, headbutt, megaman-like slide, warpstar for up-B, etc...), and let him copy the full canon abilities (replacing all or most of his special moves) from the opponents instead of copying just the neutral special move. I know it would have been harder to develop, but it would have been way cooler IMO; character hats are funny but IMO they should have been the canon ability hats.

EDIT: Oh I forgot Wario. I wanted Wario a lot, but my ideal wario was based on Warioland, not Wario Ware; I dislike the current Wario in Smash.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Want: Sol Badguy, Bomberman, Frisk
Don’t Want: Lara Croft, Rayman, KOS-MOS
Oof, you almost got it!

Want is Sol, Bomberman and Rayman. Don't want is Frisk, Lara and KOS-MOS. For the explanations:

Bomberman and Rayman have been in my top 10 since Brawl. The OG Rayman, Great Escape and Bomberman Hero were a big part of my childhood. I've lowered my hopes for them because they were turned into Spirit/AT, but if they were deemed possible you'd be hearing a lot more on them from me.

Sol is my go-to for another fighting game rep. Heihachi would be cool, I guess, but I have no personal attachment to Tekken, unlike Guilty Gear. Sol is great as a character and can bring a lot of interesting stuff to Smash.

Frisk is... complicated. I love Undertale, but no moveset I've seen so far has convinced me that Frisk should be in. They're either unfaithful to the source material by having no choice between FIGHTing and ACTing (or the equivalent of a karma system) or they require avoiding combat... which sounds lame imo. Maybe my perception will change as Deltarune develops and I'll come to support Kris or Susie, but for now I'd rather just have the Sans Mii costume.

As for Lara and KOS-MOS... there's just better choices imo. I get Lara is iconic in her own right, but as far as Smash is concerned, I'd rather have someone else from one of SE's own homegrown series. Same for KOS-MOS and Namco.

He could incorporate air dashes, Roman Cancels and if Sakurai's crazy enough he could make Sol's final Smash an instant kill, like happens in his games lol
Also he has Dragon Install as a transformation. That or roman cancels could use a meter.

And while some of his special moves are somewhat similar to Terry's visually speaking, Gunflame would have less range but taller hitbox, maybe more powerful than Power Wave. His specials could be:

Up Special - Volcanic Viper (0:25 in the video), if Sol hits then he can do Knockdown by pressing the button or entering the command input a second time
Front Special - Bandit Revolver (0:04), but if you charge the move Sol will do Bandit Bringer (0:17)
Back Special - Riot Stamp (0:36)
Neutral Special - Gunflame (0:07)
Down Special - Fafnir (0:48)

Dragon Install (1:03 in the video). It would be very cool if the song that plays changes to Ride the Fire as happens when he uses Dragon Install lol

I wasn't active in speculation before Pit was added but that doesn't surprise me a lot. Sure, I greatly doubt he had the same support as K. Rool or Ridley, but I can see him being a frequent request even if he wasn't the most popular one.
I'm sure a good amount of his supporters back then didn't played the original Kid Icarus or the GB one but I guess that the concept of an angel and all that was enough to convince that people.
I remember someone suggested Dragon Install as a mechanic and your FS animation changes depending on whether you have it activated or not.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman

The only dream character I can think of that actively got in at an opportune time was Diddy Kong in Brawl. I'm not a big fan of the way he plays, and my opinion of the character has somewhat dwindled in recent years, but it was the closest I got to getting something I wanted, and I was pretty excited to see him at the time. Ridley was another character I kinda wanted to see playable, but at some point his psychopathic nature threw me off the idea before it reignited in Smash. But beyond that... I haven't had any luck with active supports. I can adapt to liking already playable characters after the fact, but have had only one true dream inclusion 12 years ago.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Figure i'd hope on the bandwagon...

A lot of characters I really didn't care about or didn't know on this list. But even some of the ones I put on "Don't Want" I wouldn't mind much being in the game TBH even if i'd rather not.

Also gimme gimme Andy, Mashed Potato Man.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So from that tier thing there were a few glaring omissions that would be on list like KOS-MOS, Sakura Shinguji and Rean Schwarzer, this was more of a rough of who I would want and not.
Most wantedS.jpg

So go on guys tear me apart.

I'm willing to do a Q and A on my choices.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Ridley was the only one I'd really call a dream character for me, but he also was that to such an extent that I chose to focus entirely on him when it came to character support. I have had other characters that I wanted, with Dedede, K. Rool and Dark Samus being examples which made it in (and sort of Wario as well, although that was before I actively took part in Smash speculation), but even in those cases there's a very big difference between how I felt about them compared to Ridley.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Sol Badguy would be really cool and carries a ton of moveset potential, but I'm skeptical of his chances because of one reason: Heihachi. Fighting games aren't really like RPGs where you can add a ton of characters from them, as fighting game characters typically sell themselves on being mechanically unique relative to other fighters. As such, adding multiple characters in a single wave risks flooding the market and diluting the originality that was their main appeal.

In a vacuum, Sol over Heihachi is already a tough sell simply because Tekken is so much larger and historically important than Guilty Gear. Likewise, Heihachi's costume still being missing is extremely suspicious when Sakurai made a big deal of having Tekken costumes last game and Terry's wave being a perfect time to reintroduce it. It just feels like an uphill battle for poor ol' Sol relative to everything Heihachi has going for him.

That being said, if we got another Namco character or Heihachi's costume returned, I'd be much more optimistic about Sol's chances. I do think we will continue the trend of getting a new Fighting game rep every wave of DLC and if Heihachi isn't available, I think Sol is the next best character.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So from that tier thing there were a few glaring omissions that would be on list like KOS-MOS, Sakura Shinguji and Rean Schwarzer, this was more of a rough of who I would want and not.
View attachment 262758

So go on guys tear me apart.

I'm willing to do a Q and A on my choices.
I think this is the first time I've seen Spyro in a negative tier, any reason why?

Also Kiryu is great, surprised to see so many people put him in the "I don't know this character" tier. Guess I'll have to do a post about the glories of the Yakuza series soon.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think this is the first time I've seen Spyro in a negative tier, any reason why?

Also Kiryu is great, surprised to see so many people put him in the "I don't know this character" tier. Guess I'll have to do a post about the glories of the Yakuza series soon.
Doesn’t Blizzard Activision own Spyro? Given controversies with the company that may be why

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Even as a die hard Arle supporter I gotta say Kiryu has shot up my wants list. I'm really into Yakuza Kiwami right now. He'd be so funny in Smash, just super serious the whole time. I'd love to see the fanart.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......

Being honest with Spyro its not that I hate the character. It's more I'm very, very unfamiliar with him and I just can't visualise him. I respect the appeal of the series and the character compared with the others in that row, I just would place him as surprisingly annoyed but not intentional, kinda like Incineroar.
And no not really controversy as to why as well even though the China **** annoyed me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hmm come to think of it.. Sakurai likes really Out there characters when it comes to retros.

Ice Climbers, Pit, and Duck Hunt. Pit being the most “traditional” of them.

I kind of fear Takamaru wouldn’t give him the opportunity to go wild with another retro moveset..
Especially after he has stated again and again his disdain for more sword wielding characters.

Sakurai clearly did say there are too many FE characters and sword-wielders. Adding the caveat of "I also understand" doesn't change that, he didn't say "I understand the complaints, but I disagree." He said (basically verbatim): "I too understand. There are too many FE characters. And there are also too many sword wielders." Which he then compounded with "but I didn't choose the character". That's not really a necessary defence if you don't believe the complaints. Even the interviewer later remarked at Sakurai's candor.

What I've seen is people try to twist his words to mitigate Sakurai's bluntness. People are literally adding unsaid words to change the context. Even PushDustin originally translated it as "a lot" when what was said was clearly "too many". You really have to take that specific interpretation with a grain of salt considering others who have read the Japanese tell a bit of a different story. Even despite my shaky Japanese I understood the line in question.

Everyone has their own opinions, I mean I agree with the FE part but I don't agree with the swordie part. But I'm not going to try to downplay what was said.

That said, I'm not sure "disdain" is the right word to describe Sakurai's feelings towards those characters. I think that might be reading into it too much. Perhaps it's the case, I mean he really did throw Nintendo under a bus with that last article, but I think he just sees them as overabundant. Even if he does have disdain for them, clearly he still tries to make them enjoyable. So it's not any possible disdain bleeds into the execution.

However, disdain or not, if he does feel like those categories are already replete, it is entirely possible he'll avoid adding more when he can make choices of his own volition.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Even if many of the characters are already in or confirmed to not be in, I'm still placing them in regards to if I wanted them or not

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom