• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With five games in and a wave of dlc just finished, I have a question for everyone. Are any of your dream characters a fighter in smash?

For me, sort of. There were a lot of characters that I liked that got into smash such as Sonic, Mega Man, and Ryu. But I never actively gave much serious thought about the possibility of them arriving before they were revealed. While I'm grateful they got in, Phoenix would technically be the first dream character that I've actively wanted.
Well, to start 64 had Donkey Kong and Pikachu and that was already awesome for me. I wished for Diddy to be there too, but was very content with them alone.

Melee had Mewtwo, which I never would've expect. I did imagine Mewtwo being an awesome fighter and tried to envision him in Smash but thought it wouldn't be likely. Then it happened.

Brawl had Diddy Kong of course , my most wanted character ever. Ike also counts, I LOVE Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. Toon Link was also welcome, but not exactly a dream character, same for Lucas.

Smash 4 had literally nothing except for Mewtwo's return. That was pretty hype however.

Ultimate had K.Rool as the number one most wanted, and Banjo comes second.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Guys I'm doing the Source Gaming poll. Kinda bored.

Am I the only who thinks that of all changes I would want to see, its some of the past stages getting a better makeover?

For example I feel like a few such as Spirit Train, Luigi's Mansion, Spear Pillar and Rainbow Cruise could do a touch up to hide low polys and make the wider areas more detailed.
Feel like that would nice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

With five games in and a wave of dlc just finished, I have a question for everyone. Are any of your dream characters a fighter in smash?

For me, sort of. There were a lot of characters that I liked that got into smash such as Sonic, Mega Man, and Ryu. But I never actively gave much serious thought about the possibility of them arriving before they were revealed. While I'm grateful they got in, Phoenix would technically be the first dream character that I've actively wanted.
I never thought Pac-Man would ever be in Smash, but that was before I started to seriously want certain characters so he doesn’t count.
So basically................. None of my "dream picks" are fighters.

.....Yet.;)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sol Badguy would be really cool and carries a ton of moveset potential, but I'm skeptical of his chances because of one reason: Heihachi. Fighting games aren't really like RPGs where you can add a ton of characters from them, as fighting game characters typically sell themselves on being mechanically unique relative to other fighters. As such, adding multiple characters in a single wave risks flooding the market and diluting the originality that was their main appeal.

In a vacuum, Sol over Heihachi is already a tough sell simply because Tekken is so much larger and historically important than Guilty Gear. Likewise, Heihachi's costume still being missing is extremely suspicious when Sakurai made a big deal of having Tekken costumes last game and Terry's wave being a perfect time to reintroduce it. It just feels like an uphill battle for poor ol' Sol relative to everything Heihachi has going for him.

That being said, if we got another Namco character or Heihachi's costume returned, I'd be much more optimistic about Sol's chances. I do think we will continue the trend of getting a new Fighting game rep every wave of DLC and if Heihachi isn't available, I think Sol is the next best character.
Yeah, I agree.
I'm not expecting Sol or any ArcSys character in the game. Even the spirit event for Kunio surprised me a lot. So any content for GG or Blazblue would be good for me: a new spirit board, Mii costumes... anything.

In normal circumstances I agree that Heihachi or any Tekken rep is the next choice for a fighting character. The thing is, is Sakurai able to make a Tekken moveset? He wasn't a few years ago, but maybe now he's able to do it. If he isn't capable of translating Heihachi to Smash, I honestly think that an ArcSys fighting rep is the most likely option. My reason for that is, if Sakurai isn't capable of bringing Heihachi, I don't think he will be able to translate Soul Calibur as well. Then there's Mortal Kombat. It could happen, but due to it's little presence in Japan, so I'm not expecting Scorpion anytime soon.
I'd like Heihachi or any Tekken rep, to clarify. I played a LOT of Tekken 3 and 5 back then. Every friend I knew that had a PS2 also had a Tekken 3 copy. That game brings me a lot of memories. I also played Tekken 1, 2 and 4, and luckily I still have my physical copies of 1 and 5.

Technically having 2 fighting characters in the pass could happen. We had Hero, Joker and Byleth in one pass, so... but yeah, it's not the most likely scenario. I'm not even sure if we'll get another fighting rep.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599

That pretty much already happened for me in Sm4sh: Rosalina and Cloud were two characters I always wanted but never thought were possible...and well here we are.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Yeah, I agree.
I'm not expecting Sol or any ArcSys character in the game. Even the spirit event for Kunio surprised me a lot. So any content for GG or Blazblue would be good for me: a new spirit board, Mii costumes... anything.

In normal circumstances I agree that Heihachi or any Tekken rep is the next choice for a fighting character. The thing is, is Sakurai able to make a Tekken moveset? He wasn't a few years ago, but maybe now he's able to do it. If he isn't capable of translating Heihachi to Smash, I honestly think that an ArcSys fighting rep is the most likely option. My reason for that is, if Sakurai isn't capable of bringing Heihachi, I don't think he will be able to translate Soul Calibur as well. Then there's Mortal Kombat. It could happen, but due to it's little presence in Japan, so I'm not expecting Scorpion anytime soon.
I'd like Heihachi or any Tekken rep, to clarify. I played a LOT of Tekken 3 and 5 back then. Every friend I knew that had a PS2 also had a Tekken 3 copy. That game brings me a lot of memories. I also played Tekken 1, 2 and 4, and luckily I still have my physical copies of 1 and 5.

Technically having 2 fighting characters in the pass could happen. We had Hero, Joker and Byleth in one pass, so... but yeah, it's not the most likely scenario. I'm not even sure if we'll get another fighting rep.
IDK if they can make Heiachi a character worth having on the roster. Don't get me wrong, tekken was one of the first fighting games I really got into, but Heihachi just seems too basic of a character just in terms of game play. I cant picture him playing too much differently from the likes of Ryu and Ken.

Im not too familiar with Sol Badguy at all, but based off the brief gameplay video i just seen of him he seems like he could potentially offer more variety in terms of playstyle compared to the other fighting game characters we have.

D

Deleted member

I would like to be wrong, but anytime people mention ATs getting upgraded, it's usually Waluigi, Isaac, and Shovel Knight with the occasional Zero and Shadow fan. Even Midna and Krystal get pretty sandbagged.

Granted I'd like Isaac, Spring-Man or Knuckles to pull the miracle(as far as ATs go). But Bomberman's got some of the most prestige out of those ATs.
Oh yeah. Bomberman is completely dead in the water as far as Ultimate is concerned. I'm just hoping his votes in this poll don't die down because of him being out. A strong following is a good sign for maybe a future game or even future DLC if I'm blessed by the goddess of explosions. A strong following also makes me happy because it tells me people like him, and that brightens up my day.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Okay. I guess I'm doing this. My top 5 would be way too obvious, so I won't be using any of them. Keep in mind, I'm using "don't want" very loosely here. I don't have any big problems with the characters in question, it's just I'd rather have someone else for various reasons.

Frisk
KOS-MOS
Rayman
Sol Badguy
Bomberman
Lara Croft
Hmm, I'll go with

Want: Sol, Lara, Frisk
Do not want: KOS-MOS, Rayman, Bomberman
Sounds rather fun. For me, it'd be:
  • Elma
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Waluigi
  • Geno
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Officer Howard/Akira Howard
I tried limiting myself to first party(-ish) characters. Should be pretty easy nonetheless, though.
I think I got this one down.

Want: Elma, Howard, Waluigi
Do not want: Rex, Chibi, Geno

(If I'm wrong with something I'm guessing it's that Waluigi and Geno are switched)
Want: Geralt, Sora, Adol
Don't want: Rayman, Elma, Shantae
You got it right! Dang, I thought I was making it difficult.
I'll do the game too. There aren't a total of three characters I dislike that wouldn't be immediately obvious though (like, if I put Bubsy on it), so some might be indifference instead.

Crash Bandicoot
Earthworm Jim
Waluigi
Edelgard
Bandana Dee
Crono
Want: Edelgard, Crash, Jim
Do not want: Crono, Dee, Waluigi
Meanwhile I'm still out here hoping for Muddy Mole in a future game. :p
Good to know I'm not alone in the world.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
IDK if they can make Heiachi a character worth having on the roster. Don't get me wrong, tekken was one of the first fighting games I really got into, but Heihachi just seems too basic of a character just in terms of game play. I cant picture him playing too much differently from the likes of Ryu and Ken.

Im not too familiar with Sol Badguy at all, but based off the brief gameplay video i just seen of him he seems like he could potentially offer more variety in terms of playstyle compared to the other fighting game characters we have.
Sol is awesome but Heihachi would be totally different from Ryu and Ken by virtue of Tekken playing completely different from a traditional SF-style fighter. He is also a heavy, heavy hitter and a rushdown fighter. Ryu and Ken use fireballs and bait people into jumping into DP. Completely different strategy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hmm, I'll go with

I think I got this one down.

(If I'm wrong with something I'm guessing it's that Waluigi and Geno are switched)

You got it right! Dang, I thought I was making it difficult.

Want: Edelgard, Crash, Jim
Do not want: Crono, Dee, Waluigi

Good to know I'm not alone in the world.
You were very close! Just needed to swap
Waluigi and Jim.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
Sol Badguy would be really cool and carries a ton of moveset potential, but I'm skeptical of his chances because of one reason: Heihachi. Fighting games aren't really like RPGs where you can add a ton of characters from them, as fighting game characters typically sell themselves on being mechanically unique relative to other fighters. As such, adding multiple characters in a single wave risks flooding the market and diluting the originality that was their main appeal.

In a vacuum, Sol over Heihachi is already a tough sell simply because Tekken is so much larger and historically important than Guilty Gear. Likewise, Heihachi's costume still being missing is extremely suspicious when Sakurai made a big deal of having Tekken costumes last game and Terry's wave being a perfect time to reintroduce it. It just feels like an uphill battle for poor ol' Sol relative to everything Heihachi has going for him.

That being said, if we got another Namco character or Heihachi's costume returned, I'd be much more optimistic about Sol's chances. I do think we will continue the trend of getting a new Fighting game rep every wave of DLC and if Heihachi isn't available, I think Sol is the next best character.
I mean you would be correct, but you know what else is a hard sell? Terry Bogard over Heihachi. Like there is no arguing that Tekken is a much larger and historically important game then Fatal Fury. Nintendo could have picked Heihachi for the first wave of DLC, but for some reason they decided to pick Terry, who didn't even have an upcoming game to advertise. While that isn't saying anything about his chances now, Nintendo has picked a smaller fighting game over Tekken before, so I don't see why they would be opposed to do it again.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yes. Mega Man, Little Mac, Simon and Hero were all dream characters for me.

Am I the only who thinks that of all changes I would want to see, its some of the past stages getting a better makeover?
I don't remember there being a question for what changes I wanted. Just one for what new modes. To which I answered "Kirby style Boss Rush".

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I guess that visually speaking Heihachi isn't super different to Ryu and Ken. He's older, but they wear similar clothes and all that. But besides that I don't find much more similarities, honestly.
I would relatively agree with you if Heihachi in Smash wouldn't have any of the Tekken mechanics, but I don't think Sakurai would add Heihachi without that after seeing how he introduces third party characters in the game.

frozolloyd frozolloyd While Tekken is more popular now than Fatal Fury or KoF, I don't think picking Terry over Heihachi was so unimaginable. If you ask me Terry is probably one of the most recognizable or popular characters in fighting games, and SNK in general was a pretty big deal back in the 90s. I don't think it's the same situation at all for Sol, Ragna or any character from an anime fighting game, excluding Dragon Ball FighterZ, of course.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
for the people that want Master chief i do find it interesting that a game like killer instinct had a choice to add him and actively passed because arbitar was more interesting to make a moveset for, how would you as his fans make him interesting.

i think one thing that many fps characters(outside of doomguy) have going against them is that their potential movesets are often limited.

in terms of sony rep ratchet and clank over kratos easily.

i got my dream character in Bayonetta if i get dante in wave 2 that would be 2/3 total dream characters with sephiroth being the third.
Honestly, it's possible there may have been restrictions from 343 Studios in that regard.

See a similar thing kinda happened with Dead or Alive 4 back in the day. Team Ninja wanted to include Master Chief as a guest fighter, but Bungie objected due to being really anal about storyline restrictions or something like that. So as a work around, TN came up with their own MC lookalike Spartan character, named Nicole.

It's possible the same thing prevented Chief from appearing in Killer Instinct. It should be noted that the Arbiter that appears as a guest fighter in that game isn't Thel 'Vadam that's a prominent character in Halo 2 and Halo 3, and is instead supposed to be an "amalgam of historical characters".
As someone who followed Killer Instinct pretty closely, I remember reading or more likely hearing in a video from one of the developers at Iron Galaxy that they decided to go with Arbiter as the Halo representative rather than Master Chief because they felt that his alien and more fiercer monster-like design was a better fit with the tone of the Killer Instinct roster.

Probably the same reason why they also decided to go with General Raam instead of Marcus Fenix from Gears of War.

Rash (Battletoads) does have a more of a cartoony and wacky vibe compared to the rest of the cast, But still manages to fit in pretty well even if they had to give him more of a serious and realistic, His character still acts true to his spirit and source material.

All 3 were great choices as guest characters even if General Raam didn't do much for me, But man I loved using Rash and Arbiter alongside my Riptor as my mains.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Heihachi missing as an Mii costume since:ult_terry:is one of the reasons I'm sure he's among the 6 DLC fighters.
Could just be a coincidence that doesn't mean anything in the long run. The Mega Man costumes were split up between bundles 3 and 5, and Rathalos is still missing when it's already a boss. Then there's also the SE costumes, Geno and Chicobo, still MIA.

blackghost

Smash Champion
As someone who followed Killer Instinct pretty closely, I remember reading or more likely hearing in a video from one of the developers at Iron Galaxy that they decided to go with Arbiter as the Halo representative rather than Master Chief because they felt that his alien and more fiercer monster-like design was a better fit with the tone of the Killer Instinct roster.

Probably the same reason why they also decided to go with General Raam instead of Marcus Fenix from Gears of War.

Rash (Battletoads) does have a more of a cartoony and wacky vibe compared to the rest of the cast, But still manages to fit in pretty well even if they had to give him more of a serious and realistic, His character still acts true to his spirit and source material.

All 3 were great choices as guest characters even if General Raam didn't do much for me, But man I loved using Rash and Arbiter alongside my Riptor as my mains.
raam filled a need in KI which was a grappler. gears of war main soldier characters even if you love them,design-wise they are rather generic.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Entirely right. Tbh I only really put Chibi there because he was one of the few first-party characters that I don't really care for that came to mind - thinking of Rex and Geno was far easier, lol.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Hmm, I'll go with

Sorry, you're off by two.

Want is Sol, Rayman and Bomberman. Don't want is KOS-MOS, Lara and Frisk.

And now, for something completely different: we're getting another Spirit Event or Tourney this week, yes? I wonder if we're really getting one almost every week until the end of FP2... there are bound to be more deaths if that's the case.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
While it's certainly suspicious, the same could be said for Lloyd costume. Maybe we'll get Lloyd and Heihachi returning as a costume.
I have a strong feeling one of them is in and the other will stay a costune.

Seems kinda suspicious that neither has come back honestly.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Yeah. But who knows, maybe the Lloyd costume will return alongside a JRPG character and Heihachi will do the same but with a fighting character.
I was one of these that thought a Namco character was a given for the first fighter pass. With 6 new slots I think a Namco character has high chances to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen after seeing the first pass.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
While it's certainly suspicious, the same could be said for Lloyd costume. Maybe we'll get Lloyd and Heihachi returning as a costume.

It does seem odd that we still haven't seen any of the Bandai-Namco costumes from Smash 4 make a return yet. Chances are, it could be either Lloyd, Heihachi, or for something highly unexpected, Gil. Or all three of them could be in the same Mii costume set alongside a different Bandai-Namco character. But still, it seems weird that those costumes haven't come back. And we still haven't seen the Geno, Chocobo, and the two Monster Hunter costumes come back.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

tbh I still think Lloyd, Heihachi and Gil will remain costumes and we'll get a different namco rep

I.D.

Smash Lord
Again with the Bamco song and dance? You know just because they have a "suspicious" lack of content doesn't mean they are getting a fighter, especially now that Nintendo has officially kickstarted third party spirit events. Things like Tekken and Tales can easily end up being represented by spirit events, namco mii costumes can come with unrelated fighters like it has already happened with other FPs.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Anyone know when that Famitsu column with Sakurai about FP2 is dropping?

It should be sometime this week apparently.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
It would be funny if a Namco character gets in but it's Gil, and everyone is mad about it
But for real though, he's from the 1980s and apparently was a huge thing in Japan. Multiple sequels, and even had an online game. He actually have what it takes to be a fighter... except for movesets. But I think Sakurai will cross the bridge with that one.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
When it comes to Heihachi, I think he has a solid shot. I'm not saying he's a lock, and he isn't quite in my web of speculation, but I would be very surprised if Namco Roulette was the extent of Tekken representation in Ultimate.

At the very least a Spirit Event is in due order, and a case for him exists.

But Namco having “nothing” new was evidence in DLC for Smash 4, in Ultimate base game, and in Volume 1. So by no means do I think Bandai Namco is assured of anything.

D

Deleted member

Probably neutral. I have no issues with the series and I would be all for a new Bomberman Land game (played it like 10 years ago).

Just again I'm not into the series.
Funny you mention that. I notice a lot of people typically don't hype Bomberman up, but everybody readily accepts the idea of him being in. It's a very interesting pattern I've noticed, at least on these boards.

It probably doesn't help that he got assist deconfirmed early on so there's not much reason to hype him up.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Funny you mention that. I notice a lot of people typically don't hype Bomberman up, but everybody readily accepts the idea of him being in. It's a very interesting pattern I've noticed, at least on these boards.

It probably doesn't help that he got assist deconfirmed early on so there's not much reason to hype him up.
I definitely wouldn't mind him since I recall really enjoying Bomberman Blast when it first released for WiiWare.

It's a shame that Konami doesn't seem interested in porting the 64 games, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom