• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Question: how many think Sakurai is aware of the memes he generates and, if so, was the Byleth presentation video an effort to generate even more memes? Like the whole “smiling to the camera while putting up the Byleth poster” and the “counting in binary saga”? If so, perhaps we could craft a new theory called Meme Theory and guesstimate what characters could be in the pass based on meme potential in relation to Sakurai’s personality and character traits?

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I feel like a Joker esque pick wouldn't work again since anyone waiting for the first pick will also be very aware of the last pick.

Although part of me thinks they're planning on this, so when all 6 characters ARE fantastic, they get more money from people buying each one separately as they come out (since people are counting on a Byleth-style surpise). And the way FP1 is priced, they didn't lose any money since buying the first 4 is about the same as the whole pass... They're playing the long con on us.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Question: how many think Sakurai is aware of the memes he generates and, if so, was the Byleth presentation video an effort to generate even more memes? Like the whole “smiling to the camera while putting up the Byleth poster” and the “counting in binary saga”? If so, perhaps we could craft a new theory called Meme Theory and guesstimate what characters could be in the pass based on meme potential in relation to Sakurai’s personality and character traits?
im 100% sure he knows of the memes is gives birth to. Quick, someone ask Sakurai is he likes puzzles!

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Probably new toy syndrome, but I'm enjoying Byleth more than I expected to.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
The worst part is Joker really doesn't need that many nerfs to be balanced, seeing how he's pretty reasonable in his base form. It's only when Arsene comes out that things get a little janky. I'm scared they're going to go too far in the other direction, do general damage nerfs on his entire moveset, and make it impossible to get anything done without Arsene.
Can't say I have faith in the balance team so I'm just going to expect the worst with every patch from now on.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
seems like some have already put the toy in the bottom of the toy box
I'll play any character. It's just kind of annoying that we have eight Fire Emblem characters. Realistically, we only needed Marth, Ike, Chrom, and Byleth to represent the high points of the series.
But I refuse to allow roster cuts, so I will defend them all to the death now.
Sakurai, please just give us more ****ing Zelda characters. Impa, Midna & Wolf Link, Tingle, Skull Kid, Revali, Toon Zelda, Tetra, and Demise as an Echo of Ganondorf!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
You may run into trouble if you stick around past Ultimate.
Don't worry. I already wrote Sakurai a stern letter letting him know that I will give him 200 spankings for each cut character in the future.
Now let us pray that Sakurai isn't a sexual deviant.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Gonna be at work so how is the giant shield patch treating everyone?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I feel like a Joker esque pick wouldn't work again since anyone waiting for the first pick will also be very aware of the last pick.

Although part of me thinks they're planning on this, so when all 6 characters ARE fantastic, they get more money from people buying each one separately as they come out (since people are counting on a Byleth-style surpise). And the way FP1 is priced, they didn't lose any money since buying the first 4 is about the same as the whole pass... They're playing the long con on us.
I don't think the precedent of Smash always ending with a whimper will deter people. For this Pass we already had the precedent of every single game and DLC season before, hell, the last reveals were Incineroar and Piranha Plant, and people still bought the Pass in droves. Many even expected someone like Dante or Master Chief to end it.

That said, I could see a Joker-style character be less effective. Like you said, I think Joker worked in large part due to how unexpected he was and how he felt like opening the door to endless characters. At this point, there's virtually no character that people don't expect or think is impossible, so I can see the first character lacking the same impact.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
*sigh*

Little Mac got nothing besides the same shield buff everyone else got...

So apparently Byleth's codename is Master. Imagine the salt if Master was datamined before Byleth's reveal.
Haha-holy-****, yes. That would have been a ****storm!

I will officially label it weird if we get Mii Costumes of FFNAF, Slenderman, and Angry Red Bird.
Not gonna lie, Freddy makes sense as a costume.

Cause he IS a costume.

Also, unrelated but...
1580283654696.png

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Downside to Joker getting nerfed: Arsene goes away faster.

Upside to Joker getting nerfed: I'll hear less complaining about Arsene carrying.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Downside to Joker getting nerfed: Arsene goes away faster.

Upside to Joker getting nerfed: I'll hear less complaining about Arsene carrying.
Don't forget down gun getting nerfed. It's hardly a small nerf if you ask me. They're both pretty significant imo.

Of course people are celebrating it...

https://twitter.com/dietsoda_9/status/1222366601397272576?s=21

Anyway general consensus seems to be that Byleth sucks speed and gameplay wise.

Can't say I like the idea of Byleth being this slow and bad, even if I was disappointed with his reveal.

No character should be a pain in the ass the play.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
So, I was setting songs for Garreg Mach Monastery when I noticed an oddity with the music for Fire Emblem Fates.
1.jpg 2.jpg
3.jpg 4.jpg
(Click to Enlarge)
As you can see, all but one song is listed as belonging to 'Fire Emblem IF', which is the Japanese title for it.
Everyone is probably playing safe right now, but really, the first character is going to set the mood for the second pass.
I agree.
The reason Joker was a big deal was less because how popular he was and more due to him being super unpredictable.

A character can be a good start for FP2 even if they are not a huge fan favorite.
He was still very popular. Persona 5 was the one of the biggest games released in 2017, it was even a contender for game of the year in many places along with Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and NieR Automata.

There are still characters that could do that.
Many have written off Sora due to Disney and a character more associated by some with anime, especially in the West, like Saber from the Fate series, could be a big surprise.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Saw this in one of my discords. Are there any characters not in Smash that you feel like 100% deserve to be in Smash. Like there are no counterpoints(or valid ones anyway, not that dumb **** where we had someone screaming that we cant have 2 DLC characters wearing trench coats in the game), no obvious reasons from them to not be in, and it feels like the only thing keeping them out is the fact they just haven't been picked yet. Overall, this character really should be here and them not being in it feels wrong.

I'm really not sure there is one. Inkling was the only slam dunk for me right off the bat and she was the first one taken care of. Interested in hearing opinions on this because it feels like all the must haves might be covered
Don't know if this is an unpopular opinion here but for me it's Bandana Waddle Dee.
Heavily requested, Waddle Dees being genarally iconic and marketable (especially in Japan), has been building himself up to be a mainstay character over the years, charming, would bring something unique to the table and Kirby's long overdue for another character and more up to date content.

The biggest argument against him was btfo a year ago so the only thing people can say against him now is ''he lame and boring :(:(:('' which, unless said by another Kirby fan, is often based on ignorance and a lack of imagination.

Also Octolings, they're now basically as big of a part of Splatoon's identity as the Inklings are.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Don't forget down gun getting nerfed. It's hardly a small nerf if you ask me. They're both pretty significant imo.

Of course people are celebrating it...

https://twitter.com/dietsoda_9/status/1222366601397272576?s=21

Anyway general consensus seems to be that Byleth sucks speed and gameplay wise.

Can't say I like the idea of Byleth being this slow and bad, even if I was disappointed with his reveal.

No character should be a pain in the ass the play.
Joker's obviously still gonna be a good character, he just got bit nerfed. It sucks but at least it doesn't totally ruin him.

As for Byleth, I don't know how they say she's bad gameplay wise. She's got good range and her Up-b combos are scary since you can't tech the bounce after around 100%. Plus her recovery is really good.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Not gonna lie... I'm a little disappointed in Byleth.

Don't get me wrong the character is still super fun to play but of all the DLC characters I fel like Byleth has the most unoriginal moveset design. It's very basic. It's fun, but it's basic. Granted Banjo is very basic as well but, I dunno, Byleth feels like a character made for Brawl...
I get why people would be underwhelmed by it, especially since most FE characters are already pretty basic, but I actually prefer Brawl style movesets. I don’t think it hurts to have a mix of unique movesets and more basic ones, for those of us that prefer the latter Smash 4’s newcomers were pretty disappointing since the only thing that seemed to matter was how far out there they could push a concept, which is always neat to see, but not always fun to play.

So apparently Byleth's codename is Master. Imagine the salt if Master was datamined before Byleth's reveal.
I can’t believe they added me to Smash.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the precedent of Smash always ending with a whimper will deter people. At this point, there's virtually no character that people don't expect or think is impossible, so I can see the first character lacking the same impact.
People always say this and yet they were caught off guard by Byleth of all people.

Also I hard agree with the first statement, this is why the arguments about character reveal orders always bore me. People complained about how the base roster ended and still bought the fighter's pass. Now people are complaining again about how the first fighter's pass ended and are still buying the second pass.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Joker's obviously still gonna be a good character, he just got bit nerfed. It sucks but at least it doesn't totally ruin him.

As for Byleth, I don't know how they say she's bad gameplay wise. She's got good range and her Up-b combos are scary since you can't tech the bounce after around 100%. Plus her recovery is really good.
So long as they don't give him more nerfs...

I think for Byleth, it's the speed and her startup lag that is a huge issue. It allows faster characters, which is most of the roster given how slow she is, such an edge 1 vs 1.

For Ultimate, what I've experience is speed and reduced lag are such important factors in being able to do well. Of course, you'll need attack power on top of that too, otherwise you'll just end up with Sheik lol.

She's ok. Nothing to write home about and difficult to solo main in terms of viability. It's still early, but she doesn't feel good to manoeuvre generally speaking.

Honestly, there is no way they are making another smash. How will they surpass this one?
Improve the gameplay.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Honestly, there is no way they are making another smash. How will they surpass this one?
I honestly think that the "theme" of the next Smash's roster will be adding in secondary characters from Third-party series already represented in Smash. E.G. Tails, Knuckles, Proto Man, Bass, X, Zero, Sephiroth, Chun Li, Raiden, etc.
I also think that the time is right for Indie reps. Shovel Knight, Frisk, Sans, Cuphead, and Shantae.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
At this point, there's virtually no character that people don't expect or think is impossible, so I can see the first character lacking the same impact.
I agree on the "no character is impossible" part, but there is a difference between "impossible" and "improbable". There are still a truckload of rather big characters we are bringing on the table here sometimes - or that even are never brought on the table - that will have a big impact like Joker was, because they are improbable. Doomguy, Crash, Rayman or Dante are no more "improbable", they won't have nowadays the same impact than Joker had, but there are still high-requested, improbable and big characters picks like Sora or Master Chief, low-requested, improbable and big characters like a Sony rep or Warcraft rep, or even big black sheeps like Steve, Jonesy or a League of Legends rep.

Make controllers that don't drift.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
They absolutely will make another Smash, but it's going to be an odd one as it's the first time where it's not going to be guaranteed that in terms of content it'll be better than its predecessor. I'm not sure what they'll do, I'm not sold on any of the reboot ideas I've heard, but there's no way that Ultimate is the last.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Improve the gameplay, add more single player modes and rework some of the veterans to be more faithful to their the source material.

And that's without going into all the new potential newcomers they could add after the massive success of Ultimate.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
That said, I could see a Joker-style character be less effective. Like you said, I think Joker worked in large part due to how unexpected he was and how he felt like opening the door to endless characters. At this point, there's virtually no character that people don't expect or think is impossible, so I can see the first character lacking the same impact.
Y'know, related to that, I had some thoughts about whether there's any first-party character that would be comparably unexpected. Only one I could think of was Waluigi.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Y'know, related to that, I had some thoughts about whether there's any first-party character that would be comparably unexpected. Only one I could think of was Waluigi.
If I had to pick a first party rep that no-one would expect, It would be Shake King himself from Wario Land. (Would love to see more of him one day, he's pretty underrated.)

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If I had to pick a first party rep that no-one would expect, It would be Shake King himself from Wario Land. (Would love to see more of him one day, he's pretty underrated.)
I mean, if barely anyone knows or cares about the character, it's hard for him to be expected. The reason why I thought of Waluigi is because people actually want him.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Played an hour or two of Byleth before I went to sleep yesterday.

Moveset-wise... I like the concept, but God, this character is definitely not my cup of tea. Strong and has some range, but most of it is linear range anyway (except nair and side b) and the lag in most of their moves is a big deal for me, moreso than their general speed.

I feel like most zoners in the game (especially high and top tier ones) will prevent Byleth from showing up too much in competitive.

On other notes, Spirit Battles were the easiest of the bunch for me (one of them literally killed itself lol) and Classic Mode was... something. Garreg Mach is pretty cool (finally another stage tied to a specific FE game).

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Played an hour or two of Byleth before I went to sleep yesterday.

Moveset-wise... I like the concept, but God, this character is definitely not my cup of tea. Strong and has some range, but most of it is linear range anyway (except nair and side b) and the lag in most of their moves is a big deal for me, moreso than their general speed.

I feel like most zoners in the game (especially high and top tier ones) will prevent Byleth from showing up too much in competitive.

On other notes, Spirit Battles were the easiest of the bunch for me (one of them literally killed itself lol) and Classic Mode was... something. Garreg Mach is pretty cool (finally another stage tied to a specific FE game).
I'm enjoying the Cuphead costume a lot.
I now understand the way Sans fans felt when they proclaimed that Sans was a playable character. But the Mii Gunner actually kinda feels like how Cuphead might play had he been a proper character.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I've never heard of Nintendo retiring a franchise because it made too much money and they didn't know how to keep milking it. Smash will continue, although perhaps with a different audience in mind.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Geno isn’t a piece of cake to obtain because he is obviously owned by someone who doesn’t or at least didn’t want to play ball. You can’t say just because one company is stingy that it means all of them are. And just because Sakurai promoted X-Box doesn’t mean Nintendo did. Nintendo are even less likely to do that because they have a ship they need to keep afloat. Like I said it doesn’t seem likely that Nintendo are going to get Chief. He is a mascot of a rival system who is also still receiving games. And even then just because Microsoft played ball with Banjo it doesn’t mean they’d play ball with Chief as they are in two completely different scenarios. One is dead, other is alive, one is a mascot, one is more associated with the company trying to get them etc etc. A lot of these arguments just make you seem like you are arguing for Chief just because you want him in the game and if so you shouldn’t be making assumptions based on bias. You should at least acknowledge what he has going against him instead of intentionally ignoring it and coming up with arguments that don’t apply much in the first place
That's the thing. Despite history with Nintendo, people still doubted their chance just because they've been owned by Microsoft. History with Nintendo means jack**** when Microsoft could've simply refused. Obviously, previous Xbox head would've refused Nintendo's request back in the day, but that changed. The reason I brought Geno is the same case with Banjo. Both are relatively obscure in grand scheme of gaming. My point is that Banjo opened the door. So called touted Xbox exclusives like Ori and Cuphead ended up in Switch. Sure, you can argue that they are not exactly first party, but that still proves MS's change of stance... or openess. I doubt you were so sure that Banjo would join Smash before reveal. Although MS may ask bigger pie for Chief, I doubt they would be that stingy like SquareEnix was regarding Cloud.

Benefit of Chief's inclusion
MS: Benefit of advertisement, expanding player base
Nintendo: Potential to attract players who were previously interested in Nintendo

I am not saying these are solid reasons, but these are not completely baseless. It depends on Nintendo's calculation, but I am sure they at least considered this when they approached Microsoft for Banjo.

I may be biased, but my claims and theory are not completely without bases.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
That's the thing. Despite history with Nintendo, people still doubted their chance just because they've been owned by Microsoft. History with Nintendo means jack**** when Microsoft could've simply refused. Obviously, previous Xbox head would've refused Nintendo's request back in the day, but that changed. The reason I brought Geno is the same case with Banjo. Both are relatively obscure in grand scheme of gaming. My point is that Banjo opened the door. So called touted Xbox exclusives like Ori and Cuphead ended up in Switch. Sure, you can argue that they are not exactly first party, but that still proves MS's change of stance... or openess. I doubt you were so sure that Banjo would join Smash before reveal. Although MS may ask bigger pie for Chief, I doubt they would be that stingy like SquareEnix was regarding Cloud.

Benefit of Chief's inclusion
MS: Benefit of advertisement, expanding player base
Nintendo: Potential to attract players who were previously interested in Nintendo

I am not saying these are solid reasons, but these are not completely baseless. It depends on Nintendo's calculation, but I am sure they at least considered this when they approached Microsoft for Banjo.

I may be biased, but my claims and theory are not completely without bases.
I know they could have refused but they were a lot more likely to refuse to put Chief in the game than Banjo. He was a character who was associated with them, was requested for 20 years and was not having anything done with him or his series aside from the occasional bit of merch. Chief is the complete opposite of everything I just said. Someone pointed out that Banjo doesn’t open the door for Chief because he is synonymous with Nimtendo so much to an extent that Nintendo did more with the IP when they were associated with rare more than Microsoft despite owning rare for nearly 20 years and a lot longer than Nintendo had them as a second party dev. Banjo was up for the taking. And Nintendo would almost certainly try other means of getting a larger player base than putting a rival mascot in smash. There are better ways of trying to get a bigger audience that will affect only Nintendo instead of putting Chief in smash and advertising a rival console while they are at it. At least cloud wasn’t owned by Sony if that was a point you intended on mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom