• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Byleth feels a bit underbaked as I suspected. Can't aim their side aerials, no multiple inputs on anything etc. All their moves hit like Ganondorfs which is kinda novel.

I turned off all the Three Houses music since I've heard enough of it in FEH so at least I can pretend Garreg Mach is Rigel Castle, or Belhalla right after Arvis burns everyone. Arvis for Smash, his intro trailer has him turn all 8 FE fighters into cinders, that's something everyone can get behind
Are all of the tracks they picked also in Fire Emblem Heroes? If not I recommend turning on the ones that aren't 'cuz they're great. Unless it's got Edge of Dawn in it. That song is overused even as a leitmotif (it's like they chopped it up, remixed it a bunch of times, and called it a soundtrack).

It's still good though, just overused. Kinda like Main Theme (Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U) except I like Edge of Dawn better.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Alright, finished my spirit board run with Byleth. Swept the floor with it because I have too many lvl 99 legends that do everything for me.

Opinions haven't changed a single bit. Character's slow as hell, it's like if Ganondorf and Link had a baby and then raised it to imitate the past DLC characters. That's really how it feels with the slow specials.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So apparently Byleth's codename is Master. Imagine the salt if Master was datamined before Byleth's reveal.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
So far I like Byleth. CPU tests went pretty well even with one not so good joycon. Going to have to wait until tomorrow to play against people and see how it works there

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Byleth is super fun. I'm not excellent as her or anything but I thoroughly enjoy her kit and she really feels super....Fire Emblem-y, like she feels me with those good feelings I had playing Three Houses. So glad she's here.

I have no confidence people would be saying Terry if he wasn’t already in. Y’all were awfully quiet the weeks months years prior to his reveal.
Ahem.
IMG_20200128_234909.jpg

:p

With that all said and done...did anyone get a magic datamine or anything?
For God's sake, no. Of ****ing course not. Even if there was I doubt it would trickle down outside of the main people cracking the thing. We haven't had a real datamine that has actively spoiled things since Brave a year ago. The most we have now from what I can tell is that Byleth's codename is "master", seemingly from "sensei", and possibly a few params. Maybe more will come out eventually but it's not going to change the world. Please stop asking these things.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I took this picture and I still think it might be fake.

This game is preposterous in the best way.
Add Crash, Spyro, Rayman, Shovel Knight, and Shantae, (maybe Gex too) then we have the ultimate Platforming Mascot heaven.

D

Deleted member

For God's sake, no. Of ****ing course not. Even if there was I doubt it would trickle down outside of the main people cracking the thing. We haven't had a real datamine that has actively spoiled things since Brave a year ago. The most we have now from what I can tell is that Byleth's codename is "master", seemingly from "sensei", and possibly a few params. Maybe more will come out eventually but it's not going to change the world. Please stop asking these things.
Oh we, guess I'll hype responsibly then. But dear God, help us during the biggest dry spells yet...

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Clean slates are the most fun times for speculation.
My prediction: Steve will get a Deluxe Mii Swordfighter costume some time in the future. IF we get a second Microsoft fighter, it will be Master Chief, but I'm not betting on him for this Fighter's Pass. Maybe if we get Volume 3.
As for Rayman, I think that the Rabbids and Altaïr costumes mean that Rayman is either a lock for Volume 2 or a hard deconfirmation; there is no in between. I lean toward lock.
Also, I will start on my FPV2 semi-prediction / semi-wishlist on the first day of February (if a Direct is not announced before then).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So apparently Byleth's codename is Master. Imagine the salt if Master was datamined before Byleth's reveal.
I’m glad It didn’t.
I would have pushed for master chief as fighter 5 even harder lol.

speaking of

what would master chiefs codename be anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Byleth is super fun. I'm not excellent as her or anything but I thoroughly enjoy her kit and she really feels super....Fire Emblem-y, like she feels me with those good feelings I had playing Three Houses. So glad she's here.

Ahem.

:p
If the best evidence is agreeing when another person broached it elsewhere over a year ago, I kinda stand by what I said.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Not gonna lie... I'm a little disappointed in Byleth.

Don't get me wrong the character is still super fun to play but of all the DLC characters I fel like Byleth has the most unoriginal moveset design. It's very basic. It's fun, but it's basic. Granted Banjo is very basic as well but, I dunno, Byleth feels like a character made for Brawl...

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If the best evidence is agreeing when another person broached it elsewhere over a year ago, I kinda stand by what I said.
I mean it's a conversation me and my partner had multiple times beforehand hence the familiarity but it was just meant to be in good fun ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ My take is more that outside of those conversations he didn't seem as possible as he should have but now that he's actually in he's someone I can't imagine not being in. Though I felt that way about Ryu as well I suppose.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Now I know you've all been desperately waiting for it, so here comes, without further ado, my opinion on Byleth's moveset.

It's fun. I like it.

Also I made my Cuphead Mii, so I think my work is done.

Oh boy thank God we dodged that one

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not gonna lie... I'm a little disappointed in Byleth.

Don't get me wrong the character is still super fun to play but of all the DLC characters I fel like Byleth has the most unoriginal moveset design. It's very basic. It's fun, but it's basic. Granted Banjo is very basic as well but, I dunno, Byleth feels like a character made for Brawl...
The thing about Byleth's moveset is it reminds me of a fan moveset.

B: shoots arrow, hold longer for more power
B>: slashes with lance
Bv: slams with axe, can spin around
B^: sword tether

I don't think it's bad, but it seems a bit... hollow? For lack of a better word I suppose. I'm certainly not against movesets that lack a gimmick, but even with standard movesets you generally find a bit more creativity in at least one the specials, something that hasn't been done similarly elsewhere. It's harder to see that here for me.

I guess the thematic gimmick is the use of the other weapons, but that's not really a new idea either. I guess I just think the moveset is a little wanting for creativity, which doesn't make it a bad moveset, just a little... bland?

It'll be a real monster in FFAs though.

Polan

Smash Lord
Oh we, guess I'll hype responsibly then. But dear God, help us during the biggest dry spells yet...
pretty confident we're gonna see #6 at the february direct. byleth has been near finished since november and was apparently gonna release back in december and they already had the pass locked down by then. plus i imagine there's quite a lot of people waiting to pull the trigger on the second pass based on who is revealed as well. probably won't release until e3 but still.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I adore Byleth. Her and Joker are definitely my favorite newcomers, base or DLC.
I’m glad It didn’t.
I would have pushed for master chief as fighter 5 even harder lol.

speaking of

what would master chiefs codename be anyway?
My guess would be Marine..considering the amount of Marines in gaming, it wouldn't be the greatest of hints..but I could just see the speculation for Doomguy rising..which is funny since they're both Space Marines in similar green armor.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I'm glad datamining stopped with Hero. Thank god.

Or they could name all of their future fighters Joe.

I will officially label it weird if we get Mii Costumes of FFNAF, Slenderman, and Angry Red Bird.
I can see FNAF actually happening as a brawler costume. No kidding

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm glad datamining stopped with Hero. Thank god.

Or they could name all of their future fighters Joe.
I'm surprised they even managed to datamine what they did. Codenames were a good call, but you'd think after Roy & Ryu, they'd run the tightest ship possible.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I'm surprised they even managed to datamine what they did. Codenames were a good call, but you'd think after Roy & Ryu, they'd run the tightest ship possible.
As I have said before I thought it was Nintendo threatening stuff is why they stop the codename digging?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'm curious just how the first Fighter Pass 2 character will go. Will they try to start off with a bang like they did with Joker by having some big popular character like Sora or will they rely on good will from Fighter Pass 1 and begin with anyone regardless of how much of a big deal they'd be.

D

Deleted member

I'm curious just how the first Fighter Pass 2 character will go. Will they try to start off with a bang like they did with Joker by having some big popular character like Sora or will they rely on good will from Fighter Pass 1 and begin with anyone regardless of how much of a big deal they'd be.
Everyone is probably playing safe right now, but really, the first character is going to set the mood for the second pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
The reason Joker was a big deal was less because how popular he was and more due to him being super unpredictable.

A character can be a good start for FP2 even if they are not a huge fan favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom