• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faso115

Smash Lord
If there was a KH exam and consider i know nothing of the series, i will just write "Okay, i believe you" and call it a day

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Here’s a fun game. Make a predictions list of characters you DON’T want or would be disappointed by.
I’d feel like I wasted my money on the pass. To the point I’d seriously contemplate calling Nintendo for a refund. (Knowing that absolutely nothing would come of it.)
If people are contemplating calling Nintendo for a refund then maybe they should hold off on buying DLC before it's even revealed.
Oh who am I kidding? Everyone who replied to this post with their own lists has already bought FPV2 anyway.

Just another reason why reveal order is pointless.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If we’re counting main titles, I’d pass. But if we’re talking the portable games, I’ve only played Chains of Memories so I think I’ve missed a great lot of the story of I were to play KHIII.

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
Here’s a fun game. Make a predictions list of characters you DON’T want or would be disappointed by. (Serious inquires only please. i.e. they have to have somewhat of a chance.)

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

I’d feel like I wasted my money on the pass. To the point I’d seriously contemplate calling Nintendo for a refund. (Knowing that absolutely nothing would come of it.)
1. Sora
2. Steve
3. FE Anything
4-6. Double down on the above

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If there was a KH exam and consider i know nothing of the series, i will just write "Okay, i believe you" and call it a day
Now I'm picturing a Kingdom Hearts exam where some of the questions may or may not be made up to see if people are paying attention.

359. The Japan-exclusive Kingdom Hearts mobile game, Kingdom Hearts Xrd: Memories of a Lost Tomorrow reveals that series villain Xehanort was actually being manipulated by:

a) Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
b) Groot
c) Abu
d) Eeyore

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
359. The Japan-exclusive Kingdom Hearts mobile game, Kingdom Hearts Xrd: Memories of a Lost Tomorrow reveals that series villain Xehanort was actually being manipulated by:

a) Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
b) Groot
c) Abu
d) Eeyore
Is it bad that I can't tell if this is real or not?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Is it bad that I can't tell if this is real or not?
I have no idea (I made it up, but something similar to that might wind up happening for all I know - "the supposed bad guy being manipulated the whole time, or part of a larger scheme" seems to be a common anime trope) - I've only played Kingdom Hearts 1 and Chain of Memories. (I've started on KH2, but I tend to focus on one game at a time, and Dragon Quest XI is taking that focus at the moment)

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
I’m glad It didn’t.
I would have pushed for master chief as fighter 5 even harder lol.

speaking of

what would master chiefs codename be anyway?
I'm surprised no one suggested "John" considering Joker's codename was "Jack."
Halo fans will know the significance of "John."

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And FFVII summons
And several Poké Ball Pokémon.
And quite a few KoF cameos.
And Dedue, Petra, Lorenz, Flayn, and Gatekeeper for Garreg Mach, too.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Kingdom Hearts 101 would have the lowest pass rate at Video Game University, but Metal Gear Solid 101 would be close.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m bored so I’ll do another code names game for all of Pass 2 now that all of Pass 1’s codenames are known. Guess who my pass 2’s are...

Pass 1 - Jack (Joker), Brave (Hero), Buddy (Banjo), Dolly (Terry), Master (Byleth)
Pass 2 - Vessel, Psych, Test, Ghost, Vector, Woah Crate

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Here’s a fun game. Make a predictions list of characters you DON’T want or would be disappointed by. (Serious inquires only please. i.e. they have to have somewhat of a chance.)

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi
Oh, an actual new interesting discussion! There we go.

The first two would piss me off, mainly because I see them as less to seriously less deserving than my top contender, Isaac.
After that it's mostly a lack of interest and the hindrance it would create for other characters on my wishlist.
  1. Geno: the biggest one. There are several things in his character that bother and even irk me, but mostly two things: his lobbyist and somewhat obnoxious fanbase, and the fact he - a secondary character of an old spinoff game - actually has a larger fanbase than most other better options, which gives him a visibility I don't understand.
  2. Porky (or any character for a serie with already 2+ fighters, like Dixie, Bandana Waddle Dee, a new Pokémon...): I have nothing against these characters per se, but seeing them as potential newcomers despite being from series that already have several characters is annoying, while my favorite still hasn't even one. That's especially true for Porky, who's coming from a finished serie that got a rather low success in his time and that is only somewhat alive only thanks to Smash.
  3. Rex (or Pyra): nothing against him per se either, but seing him would kill the hope for Elma. I prefer Elma as a character and strongly believe she has both a better moveset and a brighter future than Rex.
  4. Master Chief: I have no interest in his archetype of character, and I'm annoyed by all the talk he has, despite having (IMO) a really really low chance of happening because of his lack of renown in Japan. And he would block Steve, who's on my wishlist.
  5. Doom slayer: same remark.
  6. Capcom character who's not Phoenix: all the top contenders from Capcom are interesting for their own sake, I wouldn't mind them honestly, but my most wanted from Capcom is Phoenix

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

Honestly there are very few characters I would be disappointed by or dislike their inclusion and have them be characters that have an actual chance. I would say another Fire Emblem character....but that just happened and I don't think another one is happening. I'm open to a very wide range of characters. With that said, here is my list:

1. Freddy Fazbear - The only inclusion I would strongly dislike. FNAF was a fad and its inclusion would do nothing for me. And this is coming from someone who is a big horror fan.
2. Ninten - I'm not a Mother fan and I think Porky would be a lot cooler anyway, plus he is identical to Ness.
3. Dixie Kong - I'm not a big Donkey Kong fan and her inclusion would do nothing for me
4. Elma - I would much rather have Rex and Pyra
5. Octoling - Don't care about Splatoon
6. Fortnite rep - Dear god no. Just no

Yeah I can't think of anybody else who even has remotely a decent shot. Even games that I don't care about like Cave Story, Reimu's games, Overwatch, etc. I would not be even that disappointed by. They all have reasons to be in Smash and unlike characters like Ninten and Dixie Kong, they would bring a whole new world and thus a new style and fresh content. I can't be mad about that.

Thinking about this, I do think that a Fire Emblem character was the worst possible outcome for me personally (besides maybe FNAF which doesn't even have moveset potential and Fortnite). But I've beaten that horse. I ended up liking Byleth and if I decently enjoyed my least wanted character, I can't imagine I would be all that disappointed by anybody else. Unless it's Bubsy who has absolutely no chance.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Elma, ???, Neku, ???, Octoling (?), Crash (?)
Elma is actually Ghost because Ghost Factory. Fiora is Vessel. Crash was obvious, Octoling is Test (because TEST FAILED... or Passed), Neku is Psych

vector is NOT Vector the Crocodile. Hint: company name

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

1. Insert Fire Emblem/Other JRPG swordie protag here
2. Cringey Zoomer Meme Game Character #1 (Minecraft, Fortnite, Overwatch, Undertale, etc)
3. Cringey Zoomer Meme Game Character #2
4. Character from a game I've never played in my life but I know they'll be boring because trust me, I saw three seconds of gameplay from their game one time
5. Insert Highly Requested character here for contrarian points
6. Sora because Disney is an evil megacorporation unlike the totally innocuous and friendly Microsoft and Konami

There, I broke the usual responses to this question down to their bare essentials. Can I have my reddit gold for sharing my lukewarm takes please.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Jeez man, did Reimu gut punch you and then steal your wallet or something?
Huh... probably was a bit harsh there but eh... don't like the look of the touhou series.

Sir your Banjo Main is showing.
Good! Banjo & Kazooie main represent and you better remember it! There ain't no shame in being a fan of one of the best platformers of the late 90's!

Banjo & Kazooie main represent.jpg

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
As someone who's played pretty much all of KH (minus Re:Mind) I think I'd pass KH 101 with like a solid B. Maybe an A if I studied hard enough.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

I'm going to take what slrigeigdew slrigeigdew said

If people are contemplating calling Nintendo for a refund then maybe they should hold off on buying DLC before it's even revealed.
But if I'm going to honest, while I would be dispointed in certain characters, I wouldn't say I hate them

Smash is inherently a fun and unique game, that they could get a playable POS, and I would still like to play as themittearly any Square Enix rep

1. Littearly any Square Enix rep

I absolutely do not know why people legitimately expected another SE rep in the first fighter pass, I aboustly do not know why out of all the companies in the world, why SE are so dead set about everything

Well other then 2 of the most obnoxious fan bases (Geno and Sora) are form them

2. Rex and Pyra

I just personally hated Xenoblade 2, it's character desgins and it's whole philosophical lesson that it was trying to be high and mighty about

I absolutely prefer Elma, please add more POC to Smash

3. A Pokemon

I'm 100% expecting a Pokemon in this FP, and that's bad because I want to be unexpected

That's literally it

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Elma is actually Ghost because Ghost Factory. Fiora is Vessel. Crash was obvious, Octoling is Test (because TEST FAILED... or Passed), Neku is Psych

vector is NOT Vector the Crocodile. Hint: company name
Welp nobody guessed it

Vector was KOS-MOS. Vector Industries.

If anyone else wants to take a crack at their own pass 2 codenames be my guest

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Flaming/baiting

For me, if FPV2 was

1. Crash
2. Shantae
3. Rayman
4. Steve
5. Geno
6. Waluigi

Wow, you guys really hate fun, don't you?

I really don't have many characters who I outright wouldn't like seeing get in as a fighter, usually I'm focused on who I would want to get in... hmm, I guess these ones are the closest I have...

1 - Freddy Fazbear - Even as just a costume, I'd much rather not have this series anywhere near Smash. Not that I have a particular hate for the series or anything, I just wouldn't like to see them.
2 - Fortnite Character - Same as above. Fortnite to me seems like such a flash-in-the-pan series, I wouldn't like to see anything from it in Smash.
3 - Reimu - Don't hate the series or the character, I just think it's kind of ridiculous that so many people are jumping on this bandwagon. Like, /v/ is trying so desperately to will her into Smash, and unlike with Lip it's actually starting to work. Seriously, does anybody who wants her in Smash actually play her games? And do you honestly think she'll get in this time around if even Shovel Knight couldn't get in? Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it seems pretty unlikely.
4 - A Gen VIII Pokemon - I think the thing that bothers me most about this one is that I know damn well nobody saying they're gonna put one of these in actually wants it. They either just want to be right about a prediction for once, or they want to see Rillaboom get in so they can fill that Grass Starter quota they for some reason have. That said, bit of respect for Toxitricitybros. At least they actually want that character in because they think they'd be cool.
5 - Tracer/Any Overwatch Character - There's a special place in hell for people who unironically want someone from this cluster**** of a franchise to get in. Overwatch has some of the most boring characters in existence, every one of them seems designed to be the most bland and inoffensive people in existence. It's amazing how the generic player characters from TF2 have more personality than these people. Speaking of, imagine paying $60 for an inferior version of TF2, then paying another $60 for it's glorified expansion pack "sequel". Keep this **** as far away from Smash as you possibly can.
6 - Another Fire Emblem character - Why are you like this? Did you parents not do a good enough job at raising you? What kind of degeneracy do you have to be into to actively want not only another Fire Emblem character, but another Fire Emblem character after Byleth? I refuse to believe you're being sincere about it, you must be taking the piss, I refuse to believe that there are people out there who are that stupid as to want another goddamn Fire Emblem character.

And a few dishonourable mentions:
A - Ashley - Don't like the character, don't want her in, but since she's already an Assist Trophy I'd reckon she's not getting in at this rate.
B - Bubsy - Don't really care about the character one way or the other, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to see them in Smash.
C - Goku/Any 4th Party characters - It's not ****ing happening, shut up about it already.

As an aside, why is it that everyone's list is composed of characters that are popular in speculation at the moment? Geno, Sora, Crash, Waluigi... are you guys just being contrarians for the sake of it? Or do you actually have that bad a taste?
>Oh b-but you don't understand, Mike! Those fanbases are SO OBNOXIOUS!!
Any open fanbase like this becomes annoying when it becomes big enough, it's inevitable. A few loud, obnoxious people who consider themselves part of that fanbase aren't a reflection of that fanbase as a whole. If that's enough to completely turn yourself off of a character, you're officially a child and should probably step away from the internet for a while until you learn to not be a ****ing idiot.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Alright, here's mine:

Mask, Finance, Star, Servant, Punk, Brush
Brush - Adeline?
Geno is either Star or Servant
Mask - **** it, Black Shadow as a really wild guess
Punk - ???????
Finance - LITERALLY ???????

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The only characters I would hate to see in Smash are the ones whose gameplay and movelist I won't enjoy. Even Geno, a character I'm not interested in, would be fun as hell if they implement his timing hit mechanic right. I also don't get hating a character just because of their fanbase. If I don't like a character it's because I think the character sucks, and not because their fans suck.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Oh who am I kidding? Everyone who replied to this post with their own lists has already bought FPV2 anyway.

Just another reason why reveal order is pointless.
It was just a fun, nonsense question I was asking. Everyone always talk about what they want. I wanted to know what they didn’t want.

I haven’t bought the pass yet and won’t until I know who the first character is.

Some of you get really bent out of shape over speculation over a video game. Goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom