• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't really care for Sora at all (the key guy not the company that did a good job in making Ultimate), but my reasons are pretty petty and shallow so I'll leave it at that ;)
How DARE you not like the character I like by law I am now obligated to call you names and act like you are below me and my MORTAL ENEMY and we must FIGHT TO THE DEATH over funny character party game because it's SERIOUS business and I lack the self-awareness to understand that people may have different opinions than myself and that's okay but I don't have that so U R A STOOPID DOODOOHEAD.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
What characters don't I want? That's an easy question. Here's the list:
  • There
  • Aren't
  • Any
  • Characters
  • I
  • Don't
  • Want
  • Geno
  • Discussions
  • These
  • Aren't
  • Productive
  • And
  • Just
  • Lead
  • To
  • Flaming
  • So
  • Let's
  • Drop
  • This
Now that I look at it, there are a lot of characters I don't want, huh?
I think these discussions are a form of venting. Obviously they're not productive because there's really nothing to gain from learning who everyone hates, especially when these same characters can be ones other people love, but quite often, people want to get these opinions out there.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly the only character I can think of that I outright wouldn't want is Earthworm Jim.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think these discussions are a form of venting. Obviously they're not productive because there's really nothing to gain from learning who everyone hates, especially when these same characters can be ones other people love, but quite often, people want to get these opinions out there.
There are plenty of places to vent that aren't going to cause character wars.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I can’t really think of any characters who would annoy me AND have a realistic chance of showing up. At this point I just want characters who are fun to play.
> "I really don't have many characters who I outright wouldn't like seeing get in as a fighter, usually I'm focused on who I would want to get in... hmm, I guess these ones are the closest I have..."
> Proceeds to name at least 9 characters, insult their fanbases, and then insult people who don't like the characters they like.

View attachment 260165
No dude it’s ok when he does it because

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
There's really not any characters I'd be too mad if they got in. That's not to say I don't have a few least wanteds, but it would be more of a "Oh, well that sucks" reaction. I just mentioned recently that I really wouldn't want Sam Bridges from Death Stranding but the chances of that happening are so low that it's not even worth thinking about

I guess if I have to give more on that, I don't really want another Warioware rep. That series screams one at best for me. I'm also good on FE characters now even though I like the series. All I wanted from Ultimate was to get 3 Houses repped and now I have that. Dont need Alm or Celica or a future title game in since it feels like it's 100% covered now

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
It was just a fun, nonsense question I was asking. Everyone always talk about what they want. I wanted to know what they didn’t want.

I haven’t bought the pass yet and won’t until I know who the first character is.

Some of you get really bent out of shape over speculation over a video game. Goodness.
Fair enough. If people want to vent about who they don't want I'm fine with it as long as they're not personally attacking others.

My comment was aimed towards those that actually felt like they got scammed by the fighter's pass. If that doesn't apply to you then you can ignore it.

I can’t really think of any characters who would annoy me AND have a realistic chance of showing up. At this point I just want characters who are fun to play.
No dude it’s ok when he does it because
There's really not any characters I'd be too mad if they got in. That's not to say I don't have a few least wanteds, but it would be more of a "Oh, well that sucks" reaction. I just mentioned recently that I really wouldn't want Sam Bridges from Death Stranding but the chances of that happening are so low that it's not even worth thinking about
This. All the characters I wouldn't want are about as likely as the characters I do want. And even if they got in I'd tolerate them if they had a fun playstyle.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
It's hilariously ironic that you're calling out people for simply not liking Geno when half of this post is outright bullying people who want characters you don't want. I don't know how it works in any other thread you visit, but generally you don't get to call people "****ing idiots" for not wanting a character while also saying such things as:

Or

Or

in the same post, no less.

When someone is being THAT overwhelmingly toxic, of course there are going to be people who hope they don't get rewarded for it.
Wow, nice elbow drop on that strawman, Cena! Did you even read my post before you responded? If not, allow me to at least explain these points you brought up so as to dispell any ideas that I was bullying anyone. (****ing really, mate?)

First off, it's not bullying to say I think most people who want Rillaboom only want them because "muh grass starter" when it's literally all I've ever heard from these people when they talk about this ****. Even before Rillaboom was revealed I saw no shortage of people going "Yo, they should put the new Gen VIII grass starter in so we can complete THE TRIO!". Hell, even before then people wanted to see Decidueye get in for the same reasons, and Sceptile before then.

Second, and I guess I should clarify this, but I don't actually believe you deserve to burn in hell because you want an Overwatch character in Smash. I guess I should've put a smiley face after it so people knew that I was being sarcastic, because I guess I foegot that some people in this thread can't comprehend the clear and present hyperbole in that statement.

Third, while this last statement is certainly not nice, it's not bullying in the slightest. I'm sorry I find people to be less intelligent because they unironically allow the actions of other, less intelligent people, to dictate what characters they personally want in Smash. I'm sorry that I don't find myself railing against Sorabros because they show more support for the character they want than people do for the ones I want.

Stop getting all your info from f*tman
>Unironically censoring people's names with an asterisk
HappyCrocoMan.jpeg

> "I really don't have many characters who I outright wouldn't like seeing get in as a fighter, usually I'm focused on who I would want to get in... hmm, I guess these ones are the closest I have..."
> Proceeds to name at least 9 characters, insult their fanbases, and then insult people who don't like the characters they like.

View attachment 260165
How dare you. You have no idea how long it took me to come up with those answers.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Hmmmm, which characters I don't want?

Simply put I don't want your favorites to get in. Yes, your favorites do not deserve to be in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch.

If your favorites are my favorites, then I don't want them in. I'll support better characters instead of my trashy current favorites.

If Sakurai doesn't hand pick the next 6 characters for my, and only my tastes; then it is literally discrimination and I will boycott Nintendo.

Sarcasm obviously.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
5 - Tracer/Any Overwatch Character - There's a special place in hell for people who unironically want someone from this cluster**** of a franchise to get in. Overwatch has some of the most boring characters in existence, every one of them seems designed to be the most bland and inoffensive people in existence. It's amazing how the generic player characters from TF2 have more personality than these people. Speaking of, imagine paying $60 for an inferior version of TF2, then paying another $60 for it's glorified expansion pack "sequel". Keep this **** as far away from Smash as you possibly can.

Why are TF2 fans still so butthurt about Overwatch? Is it jealousy since Valve essentially stopped supporting TF2? Everytime I see someone hating on Overwatch they always have to go “TF2 GOOD. OVERWATCH BAD!”

I like both. But if you don’t like one or the other, don’t talk about it & stop comparing them to each other.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
How DARE you not like the character I like by law I am now obligated to call you names and act like you are below me and my MORTAL ENEMY and we must FIGHT TO THE DEATH over funny character party game because it's SERIOUS business and I lack the self-awareness to understand that people may have different opinions than myself and that's okay but I don't have that so U R A STOOPID DOODOOHEAD.
Allow me to use facts and logic to show why I'm in the right for this behaivour whereas you are clearly an unintelligent troglodyte for daring to disagree with me.

I ****ed your mum and your dad

Anyway for real there's a reason the only timed hit attack in the game is a command grab that starts the attack, by doing that, you don't need to take early or late hits into account and get a clearcut window of your chance to land the timed hit, can you ****ing imagine a character filled with timed hits, ESPECIALLY with the buffer system and Nintendo's garbage online

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Only characters I'd dislike right now are Travis, Dante, Doom Slayer, or a Dark Souls rep. Even if they get in, though, it's not the end of the world: It's just a game, after all. I'd go "Oh well" and move on. I'd rather just be happy for the people who got their character than complain about me not getting what I want all day.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wow, nice elbow drop on that strawman, Cena! Did you even read my post before you responded? If not, allow me to at least explain these points you brought up so as to dispell any ideas that I was bullying anyone. (****ing really, mate?)

First off, it's not bullying to say I think most people who want Rillaboom only want them because "muh grass starter" when it's literally all I've ever heard from these people when they talk about this ****. Even before Rillaboom was revealed I saw no shortage of people going "Yo, they should put the new Gen VIII grass starter in so we can complete THE TRIO!". Hell, even before then people wanted to see Decidueye get in for the same reasons, and Sceptile before then.

Second, and I guess I should clarify this, but I don't actually believe you deserve to burn in hell because you want an Overwatch character in Smash. I guess I should've put a smiley face after it so people knew that I was being sarcastic, because I guess I foegot that some people in this thread can't comprehend the clear and present hyperbole in that statement.

Third, while this last statement is certainly not nice, it's not bullying in the slightesr. I'm sorry I find people to be less intelligent because they unironically allow the actions of other, less intelligent people, to dictate what characters they personally want in Smash. I'm sorry that I don't find myself railing against Sorabros because they show more support for the character they want than people do for the ones I want.

View attachment 260167

How dare you. You have no idea how long it took me to come up with those answers.
Dude, you were literally calling people dumb, saying they were degenerates, and questioning how their parents raised them because of who they want to see in the Mario Pikachu punchy punch game. And you're continuing to do so in this post.

That is absolutely bullying.

D

Deleted member

There aren't really any characters I want, I just hope we get nothing but Fire Emblem characters until Smash fans stop whining about fun characters to play as simply because they aren't the one they particularly want

Last edited by a moderator:

Krankees

Smash Ace
There aren't really any characters I don't want anymore. There used to be but I think I'm ready to be open to anybody as long as they come from a video game.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Third, while this last statement is certainly not nice, it's not bullying in the slightesr. I'm sorry I find people to be less intelligent because they unironically allow the actions of other, less intelligent people, to dictate what characters they personally want in Smash. I'm sorry that I don't find myself railing against Sorabros because they show more support for the character they want than people do for the ones I want.

View attachment 260167

ogNrt6xjoxcgp7z0v_1Zi1oMaZFLnP1GlBCxOVfgIs8xyKIv6cojhN6Eao2dlFHmnVeIBx1QU8wWRjakMrSCUJWTjalEi-...jpg

There's a lot to unpack here and pretty much none of it is good.

There's a difference between sarcasm and bullying. You can't tell people "if you like this you should go to hell" then say "just kidding!" and expect people to not be offended.

No one likes an academic elitist, and this is coming from someone who used to be an academic elitist himself. Once you look at people moreso as people than being inferior to you it becomes a lot easier to talk to them, and they want to talk to you more often too. I've had some great conversations with people who could be considered "less intelligent" than me, so really you're the one missing out here.

If it took you a long amount of time to type out that, maybe you should've taken a second longer to reconsider hitting that "Post reply" button.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Sorry, I just don't want my posts to get dragged into the Geno thread the next time he has another meltdown and searches his own name.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
There aren't really any characters I want, I just hope we get nothing but Fire Emblem characters until Smash fans stop whining about fun characters to play as simply because they aren't the one they particularly want
Me: I completely understand the complaint of oversaturation of FE, especially with 4 Marth movesets

Also me: hnnnngh smash heads open with Edie, Black Knight and Hector. Set people on fire with Celica and Lyon. Be a speedy ****wit with Lyn and Claude

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

View attachment 260167

Wow dude, you're really showing off your 6000 IQ with your superior taste in who you want to see in a baby party game. I'm surprised you haven't been accepted into Harvard with your massive galaxy brain that's enough to rival even the most diehard of Rick and Morty fans.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wonder once the characters are fully
complete if we will get a new World of Light update.
Doubtful, but it would be amazing. I have a concept idea for a World of the Four Elements expansion - realms of Fire, Water, Earth and Wind. Or like... something to represent the green area of Final Destination in another WoL map. Void Realm with the other DLC characters if not Four Elements?

I do believe another trailer will incorporate WoL like Hero’s did but with the light realm instead of the dark realm

D

Deleted member

First off, it's not bullying to say I think most people who want Baboom only want them because "muh win" when it's literally all I've ever heard from these people when they talk about this ****. Even before Baboom was revealed I saw no shortage of people going "Yo, they should put the new Gen VIII grass starter in so he can WIN!". Hell, even before then people wanted to see Yodasumi get in for the same reasons, and Kasumi before then.

Second, Resident Evil, known in Japan as Biohazard,[a] is a Japanese horror media franchise created by Shinji Mikami and Tokuro Fujiwara,[1][2] and owned by the video game company Capcom. The franchise focuses on a series of survival horror games and includes live-action films, animated films, comic books, novels, audio dramas, and merchandise. The story follows outbreaks of zombies and other monsters created mainly by the Umbrella Corporation.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wow dude, you're really showing off your 6000 IQ with your superior taste in who you want to see in a baby party game. I'm surprised you haven't been accepted into Harvard with your massive galaxy brain that's enough to rival even the most diehard of Rick and Morty fans.
I misread your post at first but could you imagine the ultimate big brain play of leaking another codename, having it be Terra, only to not actually be a codename and have been for Terra Branford? Then again her Japanese name is Tina so it'd technically be a codename

I.D.

Smash Lord
Trolling
Also absolute :laugh: at genobros crying about "X character is being willed by 4chan into existence!". Nonsensical sentiment I've only ever seen expressed in the Geno thread, has no basis in anything other than a certain someone's delusions and is hypocritical to the extreme considering the character they are backing.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
How does someone wish actual damnation on someone and then say "Ha ha, funny joke!"

Like, my word, think before you type. Wishing harm on someone isn't funny.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Hmmmm, which characters I don't want?

Simply put I don't want your favorites to get in. Yes, your favorites do not deserve to be in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch.

If your favorites are my favorites, then I don't want them in. I'll support better characters instead of my trashy current favorites.

If Sakurai doesn't hand pick the next 6 characters for my, and only my tastes; then it is literally discrimination and I will boycott Nintendo.

Sarcasm obviously.

Edgeworth is what really makes this post amazing

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I misread your post at first but could you imagine the ultimate big brain play of leaking another codename, having it be Terra, only to not actually be a codename and have been for Terra Branford? Then again her Japanese name is Tina so it'd technically be a codename
Yeah I wad gonna do the codename thing but I decided to scrap it bc I needed to respond to big brain. But yeah, using Terra for Steve would be a galaxy brain play and I'd love it so much

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
First off, it's not bullying to say I think most people who want Baboom only want them because "muh win" when it's literally all I've ever heard from these people when they talk about this ****. Even before Baboom was revealed I saw no shortage of people going "Yo, they should put the new Gen VIII grass starter in so he can WIN!". Hell, even before then people wanted to see Yodasumi get in for the same reasons, and Kasumi before then.

Second, Resident Evil, known in Japan as Biohazard,[a] is a Japanese horror media franchise created by Shinji Mikami and Tokuro Fujiwara,[1][2] and owned by the video game company Capcom. The franchise focuses on a series of survival horror games and includes live-action films, animated films, comic books, novels, audio dramas, and merchandise. The story follows outbreaks of zombies and other monsters created mainly by the Umbrella Corporation.
RPGS are a niche genre and any RPG that's not called Super Mario RPG, Kanye Quest, or Mega Man X: Command Mission is even more obscure. I don't know why insecure Baboom fans are so desperate to act like Green Donkey Kong is a household name and that anyone who doesn't know who he is is ignorant. It's always so lame when people hold up a character for their "win value" or because they represent a particular company or genre. They'll take the boring, generic character over the interesting or popular one just for the sake of a roster that they think is "correct". The harsh reality is that Nintendo is dead, Pokémon has never been mainstream, and unless you are an RPG junkie or Japanese, the only reason you might have even heard of Baboom is because of memes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

3 - Reimu - Don't hate the series or the character, I just think it's kind of ridiculous that so many people are jumping on this bandwagon. Like, /v/ is trying so desperately to will her into Smash, and unlike with Lip it's actually starting to work. Seriously, does anybody who wants her in Smash actually play her games? And do you honestly think she'll get in this time around if even Shovel Knight couldn't get in? Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it seems pretty unlikely.
This whole "Oh people jumping on a bandwagon/but /v/'s just trying to will it into smash" line of thought is just a poor excuse of hand-waving away characters/franchises that are popular but you just don't understand why. Please quit that and do some research instead cause Touhou is an amazing franchise that people genuinely enjoy like myself and countless others.

The Touhou franchise may be niche but the games and franchise itself is a lot of fun plus the music is amazing and would be worth the Smash inclusion alone. The reason Touhou and Reimu might be worth including instead of Shovel Knight would be due to it's legacy and massive popularity in Japan while niche in the west it's absolutely massive in the east.

The Series has been going on since 1995 and has had 28 mainline games alongside countless spin-offs and fangames plus Manga, CDs, Anime and merch to name a few. ZUN is also incredibly easygoing with Touhou's licensing and has already shown interest in being apart of Smash so if Nintendo wanted ZUN would absolutely be open and easy to negotiate with which may give an edge over Shovel Knight.

Shovel Knight is absolutely a modern icon of indies I won't doubt that him and Sans totally fit that role but Reimu and her series is one of the longest running indies with one of the biggest legacies in the indie scene which absolutely holds it's own alongside if not surpassing them in my eyes.

So yeah it's an absolutely fun franchise with an absolutely massive legacy alongside being a massive series which really gives it a push to being a contender for a hypothetical indie character. Please do more research before accusing people of hopping on a bandwagon and ****ting on the character as you wouldn't want someone to do the same to your favorites.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Third, while this last statement is certainly not nice, it's not bullying in the slightest. I'm sorry I find people to be less intelligent because they unironically allow the actions of other, less intelligent people, to dictate what characters they personally want in Smash. I'm sorry that I don't find myself railing against Sorabros because they show more support for the character they want than people do for the ones I want.

View attachment 260167

I hit my head on the wall this morning anx got a massive headache
i dont need this on top of that

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I feel like we can sit here and argue who is more likely as DLC but the real answer I personally believe is the fact we have no clue of how predicting what Sakurai picked or decided he could conceivably create based off Nintendo’s list of characters he was presented.

I believe the DLC to be so random, yet everyone will still claim “obvious pick”.

I’m not saying it’s worthless to speculate on who will be DLC, however it’s better to just say you’d want someone just cause you like them more than “so-and-so is likely” because chances are you as well as myself are completely wrong.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Also absolute :laugh: at genobros crying about "X character is being willed by 4chan into existence!". Nonsensical sentiment I've only ever seen expressed in the Geno thread, has no basis in anything other than a certain someone's delusions and is hypocritical to the extreme considering the character they are backing.
Not to support the notion or insult anyone, but the argument of a character's fanbase being "willing into existence" by 4chan or any other site makes no sense to me. Isn't that kind of the point of Smash speculation? Fanbases are built on the backs of passionate fans who express their passion consistently. In doing so, they attract other potential fans, thus growing their fanbase even more.

Like, every fanbase has started out this way, so what's the harm in it?

Last edited:

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
tenor (13).gif

If this smug storm gets any bigger we're going to have to start evacuating the board soon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What a simplistic view of the grievances some people took.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I’m bored so I’ll do another code names game for all of Pass 2 now that all of Pass 1’s codenames are known. Guess who my pass 2’s are...

Pass 1 - Jack (Joker), Brave (Hero), Buddy (Banjo), Dolly (Terry), Master (Byleth)
Pass 2 - Vessel, Psych, Test, Ghost, Vector, Woah Crate
Ehh what the hell, I'll give it a shot. It'll be pretty easy but here are some codenames for characters I'd think would be pretty neat. I'll give the real names in the next post

Finger, Mastermind, Mann, Human, Paper, Wolf_2 (The 2 is very important)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It always amuses me that people frequently come up with the most contrived, hypocritical and downright absurd reasons for as to why they don't want a character.

You can just say "I don't want character" and leave it at that you know.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Not to support the notion or insult anyone, but the argument of a character's fanbase being "willing into existence" by 4chan or any other site makes no sense to me. Isn't that kind of the point of Smash speculation? Fanbases are built on the backs of passionate fans who express their passion consistently. In doing so, they attract other potential fans, thus growing their fanbase even more.

Like, every fanbase has started out this way, so what's the harm in it?
It's a petty attack. It's a way of implying a character's support is completely artificial and sustained only by propaganda/spam and is not wanted on their own merits or whatever and therefore invalid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom