• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
With Doomguy seemingly out of the running and Gordon likely going to gain popularity because of the Half-Life titles being free to play on Steam until March, we might start seeing increased support for Gordon Freeman in the coming months, maybe even weeks.

Master chief would like a word with you

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
If King Zell turns out to be true, then we will hear something big in next Nintendo Direct. If he is true, it means that MS will try to push Master Chief into Smash to promote Halo on Switch. Sure, Nintendo has no obligation to help Microsoft with this as Smash hasn't always been about promotion besides their own games. But, this is Microsoft that allowed Banjo. I think they will try to lower price or cover up portion of Master Chief dlc development cost to make up for Japan. Who knows? Nintendo may make exception for Chief despite Japan.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
76: Crash Bandicoot - Late January/February reveal/Summer release
77: Master Chief - E3 reveal/Fall release
78: Rex - Fall reveal/January release
79: Lloyd Irving - January/February reveal/Summer release
80: Travis Touchdown - E3 reveal/Fall release
81: Rillaboom - Fall reveal/December release

Thoughts if these were the fighters?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

After looking at the Mandy account i think is just guesses

-no smash reveal that wasn’t hard to guess
-no botw 2 obviously
-Mk11 of course it was gonna be there what did you expect?
-and direct on Thursday? That was because of that dark cloud guy with the timer for the next direct announcement which really wasn’t a direct

I’m still not putting stock in him and yet he now has 914 followers

Last edited by a moderator:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Legit, I've abstained from even looking at this board in light of the recent reveal...
I'm personally fine with it, myself, just because Byleth is clearly a very unique fighter, putting series aside.

D

Deleted member

81: Baboom - Fall reveal/December release

It looks good to me

hehe Baboom

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't think a Switch port has anything to do with anything.

Somebody's gonna get revealed at E3, and it sure as hell isn't going to be somebody who isn't popular in the west (without somebody carrying them). Previous E3 reveals have had big western names like :peachmelee::bowsermelee::wario::snake::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::ultridley::ultbanjokazooie: to keep fans sated. Now of course, more than a few of them also have Japanese appeal, but at the time there was nowhere to go but up.

I don't think E3 will have Fighter 6, but rather Fighter 7. And, seeing as big names are always revealed at E3 and the biggest names are revealed first... Master Chief, I think, has a solid shot. He's not the ONLY candidate for the position, but he is a notable one.
Personally I think this is revisionism at best.

Speaking as someone who wanted them, Pac-Man and Ryu were INCREDIBLY controversial in the lead up to their reveal, with many in the fanbase being vocally against them. So much so that I'd actually say Palutena was BY FAR more wanted among the western Smash speculation base than Pac-Man was, thanks mostly to worries about him being based on The Ghostly Adventures.

Which, again, sucks because I was really excited for them lol. But back then anti-third party sentiments were much more common than they are now.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Crash Bandicoot is great
Master Chief is okay
Rex is kind of boring
Lloyd Irving is also boring
Travis is great
Rillaboom is boring

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Crash - Hype
Master Chief - Hype
Rex - Hype
Lloyd - Alright
Travis - Pretty cool
Rillaboom - No thanks

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Crash - NOICE
Master Chief - YEEEEEEEAAAAAHHH
Rex - meh
Lloyd - meh
Travis - meh
Rillaboom - I SEE THIS AS AN ABSOLUTE WIN

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Personally I think this is revisionism at best.

Speaking as someone who wanted them, Pac-Man and Ryu were INCREDIBLY controversial in the lead up to their reveal, with many in the fanbase being vocally against them. So much so that I'd actually say Palutena was BY FAR more wanted among the western Smash speculation base than Pac-Man was, thanks mostly to worries about him being based on The Ghostly Adventures.

Which, again, sucks because I was really excited for them lol. But back then anti-third party sentiments were much more common than they are now.
I remember when people claimed that both Capcom doesn't need more than one rep since they had Mega Man and that "Fighting game characters in Smash are a bad idea" to argue against Ryu. Now look where we are.

Now I see people just whine about Smash potentially dipping into lesser known/more niche franchises for diversity for Third Parties as well as Third Party titles they don't know.

Here I am willing to open my arms to almost every character.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
So essentially, the first one could be either Crash or Dante while Chief could be saved for E3.

So far, these 3 were in my picks for the pass so I ain't complaining at all. I mean, that is if it is the case at all.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

I should note heihachi mii costume is still no where to be found and that suposivly that icon that was found/leaked that made people think kyodai is shoe in that symbol it was revealed as nothing more than for a anniversary thing for a collection

And soul calibours nightmare is in the running as well

And I still can’t understand why people can’t let go of Mii Costumes and assist trophies as promoted later I would replace Rex with Ryu hayabusa since a couple of sources that are reliable said he may be coming (yet to hear from iamshifty again though)

Except geno though that’s a acception since there’s a war going on to get him in smash even from spirit status and no costume in sight

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord

In the fandom? Maybe. In fact I would rather believe this to be the case, especially Pac-Man since not only was GA a thing but at the time people also thought third parties were one and done, and the debates between him and Lloyd, probably Heihachi too got heated as hell. I don't remember Ryu being particularly unpopular, though, except before Mega Man's reveal when people thought he'd take Mega Man's spot and doom him to death. (That was when the cancellation of several Mega Man projects was still fresh. I remember several people being really desperate to see Mega Man, I among them.) [Pre-post note: Apparently it was because he was a fighting game character and people thought that it wouldn't fit in Smash! The more things change...]

But I'm also taking a layman perspective into account. Pac-Man and Ryu, even if the hardcore fanbase were... not exactly happy with them, were objectively the biggest names revealed at E3, and the ones who got the most attention in general (last I remembered). I would say that from a casual perspective, these were the biggest deals there. Maybe Palutena and Roy were better received to the fandom, but I'm also talking characters that could reach a wider audience. A relatively niche 3DS game and an appearance in Melee/Awakening means relatively little in the grand scheme of things.

Conversely, Ridley and Banjo aren't really that big of deals among non Smash fans (Banjo might be bigger, but he'd also largely fallen out of the public eye, meanwhile Ridley was at least relevant), but were of unspeakably large magnitude among these circles. Hero was also a big name, but not to the audience of E3.

Crash and Lloyd: Hell yes.

Master Chief, Rex, Travis: Good for their fans! Nice to see.

Rillaboom: Eh, even if I don't think SwSh are particularly good, I got Crash and Lloyd. I can't be too mad.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In the fandom? Maybe. In fact I would rather believe this to be the case, especially Pac-Man since not only was GA a thing but at the time people also thought third parties were one and done, and the debates between him and Lloyd, probably Heihachi too got heated as hell. I don't remember Ryu being particularly unpopular, though, except before Mega Man's reveal when people thought he'd take Mega Man's spot and doom him to death. (That was when the cancellation of several Mega Man projects was still fresh. I remember several people being really desperate to see Mega Man, I among them.) [Pre-post note: Apparently it was because he was a fighting game character and people thought that it wouldn't fit in Smash! The more things change...]

But I'm also taking a layman perspective into account. Pac-Man and Ryu, even if the hardcore fanbase were... not exactly happy with them, were objectively the biggest names revealed at E3, and the ones who got the most attention in general (last I remembered). I would say that from a casual perspective, these were the biggest deals there. Maybe Palutena and Roy were better received to the fandom, but I'm also talking characters that could reach a wider audience. A relatively niche 3DS game and an appearance in Melee/Awakening means relatively little in the grand scheme of things.

Conversely, Ridley and Banjo aren't really that big of deals among non Smash fans (Banjo might be bigger, but he'd also largely fallen out of the public eye, meanwhile Ridley was at least relevant), but were of unspeakably large magnitude among these circles. Hero was also a big name, but not to the audience of E3.

Crash and Lloyd: Hell yes.

Master Chief, Rex, Travis: Good for their fans! Nice to see.

Rillaboom: Eh, even if I don't think SwSh are particularly good, I got Crash and Lloyd. I can't be too mad.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, if we're talking about the general populace as a whole, I definitely agree. They were big names, even if they weren't for the online Smash fandom at the time (or at least the more vocal side of it).

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman

Crash - Cool. I am happy for the Crash fans.
Master Chief - Cool. I am happy for the Master Chief fans.
Rex - Nice! (But I'd simultaneously mourn internally for Elma, even though I know she's lost her chance.)
Lloyd - Was this pass made for me?! <3
Travis - Cool. I am happy for the Travis fans.
Rillaboom - Huh. I... I'm happy for the Rillaboom fans. *later discovers I was born to main Rillaboom*

My bias aside, I think it's actually a really nice lineup (though Rex and Lloyd happening one after another would have quite a number of people raging about anime swordsmen, probably), but there's no clear female addition (assuming Pyra and Mythra have more of a supportive role with Rex, not so much a playable one), so I think that'd be pretty disappointing for many out there. The idea of an 8th gen Pokemon trainer is so nice since they could have male and female alts, and of course even more variety in Pokemon and their movesets, but then there'd probably be some calling them a boring echo even if the moves were completely different, so I don't know if that's a great solution either... I'm glad I'm not in the position of trying to make everyone happy, 'cause I'd clearly fail, and I'd probably die trying. LOL

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Feb is the best bet, there was a general direct in Feb last year. There's still a lot we don't know about with Nintendo's first party line up, like they got 3 unreleased games we know have a 2020 date and 2 of them are set to release by the end of March with the last one rumor to release the end of May. So we need some new first party game reveals ASAP.

Though admitedly I am in the camp that we won't know who Fighter 6 until E3, so I don't know if a Smash reveal is gonna happen there.
I think February is a pretty safe bet as well, the first Directs of the year tend to happen in February after all. I don't think we'll be going until E3 without at least one character reveal before then. I mean, we have around 6 Fighters, and if we most likely won't be waiting until the end of 2021 to get them all I really don't think we'll have to wait until halfway through the year. Keep in mind that Vol.2 goes live on the 28th, and they'd need to give people a good reason to buy it, so I think there's a good chance we get FP6 revealed during the Direct for an April/May release.

Oh right, I had forgotten that Metroid Prime was an FPS series.
*Pushes up glasses*
UHM, ACKTHUALLY, METROID PRIME ITH CONTHIDERED A FIRTH PERTHON ADVENTHURE GAME, NOT AN FPS!

Right from the horse’s mouth:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

make of this what you will
Is it true...? Is Cash Banooka finally getting in Smash?!
CashBanooka.png

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Master Chief and Gordon Freeman are not getting in because they have never appeared as characters in a Nintendo game before. Chief's appearance in Minecraft does not count as that is a skin, not the actual character.
I highly doubt any FPS rep will be getting in. I also believe Doomguy's deconfirmation also deconfirms Dovahkiin and only skyrockets the chances of a certain other character even more, that being Dante.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Attack on the form and lack of arguments to strenghten the main thesis are evidence of a the weakness of the original assertion. If you didn't want to convince me, you've succeeded. For now I'll consider myself as right on this case.
Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep at night.

Suicidal.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Master Chief and Gordon Freeman are not getting in because they have never appeared as characters in a Nintendo game before. Chief's appearance in Minecraft does not count as that is a skin, not the actual character.
I highly doubt any FPS rep will be getting in. I also believe Doomguy's deconfirmation also deconfirms Dovahkiin and only skyrockets the chances of a certain other character even more, that being Dante.
Chief didn’t need Nintendo history

He’s Xbox’s poster boy

a modern console rival

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Rex alone makes the pass worth it to me.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Crash: Ok
Master Chief: ...
Rex: ...
Lloyd: ...
Travis: Cool!
Rillaboom: ...

I might reconsider my stance on absolutely getting all characters if these were the final 6 tbh.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Reminder king zell is a extremly creditable source and believes MCC (master chief collection) is coming to switch

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

Crash - Hype
Master Chief - Ultra Hype
Rex - Cool
Lloyd - Fine
Travis - Cool
Billaboom - Good

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Can someone honestly explain to me the appeal of Crash Bandicoot in Smash?

I just don’t understand the demand for him. I played the games growing up as well, but I don’t ever remember him being in the “big leagues” like Street Fighter, Zelda, Mario, Mega Man, Pac-Man, etc.

Yeah, sure he is popular in a since, but I don’t know. I guess he just lacks the “star power” or it factor for me I guess. (And before someone comments on characters like Ice Climbers or something not having star power, they are Nintendo IP. They have history and legacy with the company that makes the game. It’s a different standard for 1st Party. They are also a retro Sakurai pick. We always get someone retro.)

I know he has honest to God fans, but I swear to you I never saw such an outcry/ fan demand for him until Smash Ultimate and The Crash N.Sane Trilogy coming to Switch.

I don’t get it. I just feel there are better choices.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace

I just don’t understand the demand for him. I played the games growing up as well, but I don’t ever remember him being in the “big leagues” like Street Fighter, Zelda, Mario, Mega Man, Pac-Man, etc.

Yeah, sure he is popular in a since, but I don’t know. I guess he just lacks the “star power” or it factor for me I guess. (And before someone comments on characters like Ice Climbers or something not having star power, they are Nintendo IP. They have history and legacy with the company that makes the game. It’s a different standard for 1st Party. They are also a retro Sakurai pick. We always get someone retro.)

I know he has honest to God fans, but I swear to you I never saw such an outcry/ fan demand for him until Smash Ultimate and The Crash N.Sane Trilogy coming to Switch.

Given how for a moment he was Sony's Mascot during the PS1 days and was up there with Mario and Sonic as a console mascot for a while, that's mostly it. And a lot of people, including me grew up on his games.

Most people didn't demand him because of Crash Of The Titans and Mind Over Mutant killing the franchise for a good while and people thought Crash was permanently dead.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Crash - cool
Master Chief - seems a bit cool, but meh.
Rex - okay.
Lloyd - okay.
Travis - okay. :nessmelee:
Rillaboom - what can I say except [Baboom win]

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

He was essentially Sony's mascot in the PS1 era and made many a childhood for a lot of people. It'd be essentially Sonic 2.0 if he made it in. It won't be as big as someone like Kratos because Crash isn't pure Sony but Crash would still be huge due to him being an important franchise and character in Sony's history.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
He was essentially Sony's mascot in the PS1 era and made many a childhood for a lot of people. It'd be essentially Sonic 2.0 if he made it in.
Not to mention a three-way rivalry with:ultmario:and:ultsonic:in the 90s. What they are to Nintendo and Sega he was to Sony when they used to own the rights to him.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220

It has Lloyd Irving so count me the **** in! All the other characters are neat, too. I would definitely enjoy this roster, especially Baboom.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Not to mention a three-way rivalry with:ultmario:and:ultsonic:in the 90s. What they are to Nintendo and Sega he was to Sony when they used to own the rights to him.
I was a child of the 90’s and for the life of me I can not recall a rivalry between the 3. Mario and Sonic, yes.

I’m not saying Crash can’t or won’t happen, but I just see why it’s such a big deal when there are other characters that would fit the mark better.

I feel like I’m being rude, and I swear I’m not trying to be.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Alright, hear me out - but as a new Pokémon rep, what do y'all think to Eevee?

I know it sounds ridiculous, but hear me out.

1. Nintendo, and also Sakurai, have no problems with 1st party picks for DLC (proven by Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Corrin, Piranha Plant and Byleth.)
2. Eevee is clearly a recognisable character in Nintendo's eyes, proven by the Let's Go games and general Pokémon marketing/merchandise.
3. Licencing isn't much of an issue at all - a quick chat with Game Freak should sort it out, and Eevee may already be in the licencing deal anyways.
4. Although Sakurai has struggled with quadrupeds in the past, Eevee's vast number of evolutions could provide a moveset unlike any other seen from Pokémon.
5. Pokémon is deemed by the general masses to be a relevant and justified series to get high representation in Smash.
6. A Normal type Pokémon is currently not in Smash. (Not as big a point though.)
7. Lots of people actually do like Eevee - although discussion about Eevee as a possible fighter are rare, Eevee is a popular Pokémon.
8. As such, the character is relevant in the modern age, and likely to be in the future.
9. Eevee isn't so recent that the game was developed after the decision to add it (with Eevee being from Gen I, and this issue being proven by Rex.)
9. When Nintendo did a poll in 2016, in which half a million people voted for their favourite Pokémon, Eevee came 12th (and, notably, Sylveon, one of Eevee's evolutions, came 5th - and 7 total Eevee evolutions came in the top 100.)

However, there are drawbacks -

1. Eevee is already summonable from a Pokéball - perhaps leaving us in a similar situation to that of Assist Trophies.
2. More Gen I representation might leave Gen II, III, V and VIII fans salty.
3. It seems to break a hypothesised recent tradition in Pokémon newcomers to Smash being by Generation and Type.
4. Following the extremely poor reception of Byleth, Sakurai may want to refrain from 1st party additions. This is, however, completely unconfirmed.
5. Again, Sakurai has had issues with quadrupeds in the past (Ivysaur.)

I mean, if you were to use the movesets of all the Eeveelutions (including Eevee) then you'd have 9 Pokémon movesets to pull from, each of different types!

I mean, as a sleeper pick that no-one is discussing, I reckon it's feasible - I'd say that it has a likelihood rating of around 45%.
Just a thought though - what do y'all reckon?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I was a child of the 90’s and for the life of me I can not recall a rivalry between the 3. Mario and Sonic, yes.

I’m not saying Crash can’t or won’t happen, but I just see why it’s such a big deal when there are other characters that would fit the mark better.

I feel like I’m being rude, and I swear I’m not trying to be.
I understand to an extent. I definitely saw the rivalry happen back in the day, especially with the mascot costume commercials, but as neat as it would be historically I just can't muster up excitement for Crash the character in Smash. At least, no more than the normal "hey this is really cool!" excitement I get for any new franchise or character joining.

I guess for a lot of people he's just neat, and the remake trilogy reminded people of that.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I understand to an extent. I definitely saw the rivalry happen back in the day, especially with the mascot costume commercials, but as neat as it would be historically I just can't muster up excitement for Crash the character in Smash. At least, no more than the normal "hey this is really cool!" excitement I get for any new franchise or character joining.

I guess for a lot of people he's just neat, and the remake trilogy reminded people of that.
I can understand that. I just feel if Crash was announced as DLC that I’d just feel kind of “Meh. Okay.” About it. Nothing against his fans.

I know we all have characters we are gunning for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom