• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Eevee is already summonable from a Pokéball
To be fair, it's an extremely basic Poke Ball. You're not losing much.

And yes, I think Eevee is highly underrated because Smash fans seem to focus too much on what ideas for Pokemon newcomers would "balance" the roster, ignoring ways in which Rillaboom does not.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Can someone honestly explain to me the appeal of Crash Bandicoot in Smash?

I just don’t understand the demand for him. I played the games growing up as well, but I don’t ever remember him being in the “big leagues” like Street Fighter, Zelda, Mario, Mega Man, Pac-Man, etc.

Yeah, sure he is popular in a since, but I don’t know. I guess he just lacks the “star power” or it factor for me I guess. (And before someone comments on characters like Ice Climbers or something not having star power, they are Nintendo IP. They have history and legacy with the company that makes the game. It’s a different standard for 1st Party. They are also a retro Sakurai pick. We always get someone retro.)

I know he has honest to God fans, but I swear to you I never saw such an outcry/ fan demand for him until Smash Ultimate and The Crash N.Sane Trilogy coming to Switch.

I don’t get it. I just feel there are better choices.
There's plenty of reasons as to why he's so demanded now. The N.Sane Trilogy was certainly a factor, but it's also the fact that a lot of other characters that would've demanded people's attention for getting into Smash (Sonic, Mega Man, Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo) are already in, so focus can now shift to Crash. There's also the fact that people just really like Crash and his games (or most of the ones that matter anyways), and even grew up with them in place of Mario, Sonic or Mega Man. Examples of this can be seen with Somecallmejohnny and Caddicarus, two big names who were very much Playstation boys who grew attached to Crash in this way as one would to Mario.

There's also the fact that he's orange, and it's scientifically proven that ******* love orange things.

I was a child of the 90’s and for the life of me I can not recall a rivalry between the 3. Mario and Sonic, yes.
Mario and Sonic was the big one, but Crash was there for a time and managed to hold his own quite well.

I’m not saying Crash can’t or won’t happen, but I just see why it’s such a big deal when there are other characters that would fit the mark better.

I feel like I’m being rude, and I swear I’m not trying to be.
It's okay man, we don't think you're being rude at all. It's always nice to see people be civil about their disagreements.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
If we DID get a Bamco rep... I've always considered Agumon the biggest Dark Horse character that'd sneak up on us and get in first. (For reference, the mainstream candidates are some combination of Heihachi, a Tales character, and the Prince. The tier below includes Nightmare and KOS-MOS.)

But, what if I told you, there's somebody else who's another one? I don't think she's likelier than Agumon, but is the other Dark Horse.

Meet Haruka Amami. Basically, Haruka is more video game-ish Miku owned by Bamco. Her franchise, the Idolmaster, is not only clear as day originating from video games, but also incredibly financially successful. While I don't have a good gauge on how popular she is in the Smash fandom, she could probably worm her way in as the "Japan's fan favorite" pack.

Or get a Spirit Event. I wouldn't be too surprised. I don't really care about Idolmaster, and I don't have a moveset in mind.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Alright, hear me out - but as a new Pokémon rep, what do y'all think to Eevee?

I know it sounds ridiculous, but hear me out.

1. Nintendo, and also Sakurai, have no problems with 1st party picks for DLC (proven by Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Corrin, Piranha Plant and Byleth.)
2. Eevee is clearly a recognisable character in Nintendo's eyes, proven by the Let's Go games and general Pokémon marketing/merchandise.
3. Licencing isn't much of an issue at all - a quick chat with Game Freak should sort it out, and Eevee may already be in the licencing deal anyways.
4. Although Sakurai has struggled with quadrupeds in the past, Eevee's vast number of evolutions could provide a moveset unlike any other seen from Pokémon.
5. Pokémon is deemed by the general masses to be a relevant and justified series to get high representation in Smash.
6. A Normal type Pokémon is currently not in Smash. (Not as big a point though.)
7. Lots of people actually do like Eevee - although discussion about Eevee as a possible fighter are rare, Eevee is a popular Pokémon.
8. As such, the character is relevant in the modern age, and likely to be in the future.
9. Eevee isn't so recent that the game was developed after the decision to add it (with Eevee being from Gen I, and this issue being proven by Rex.)
9. When Nintendo did a poll in 2016, in which half a million people voted for their favourite Pokémon, Eevee came 12th (and, notably, Sylveon, one of Eevee's evolutions, came 5th - and 7 total Eevee evolutions came in the top 100.)

However, there are drawbacks -

1. Eevee is already summonable from a Pokéball - perhaps leaving us in a similar situation to that of Assist Trophies.
2. More Gen I representation might leave Gen II, III, V and VIII fans salty.
3. It seems to break a hypothesised recent tradition in Pokémon newcomers to Smash being by Generation and Type.
4. Following the extremely poor reception of Byleth, Sakurai may want to refrain from 1st party additions. This is, however, completely unconfirmed.
5. Again, Sakurai has had issues with quadrupeds in the past (Ivysaur.)

I mean, if you were to use the movesets of all the Eeveelutions (including Eevee) then you'd have 9 Pokémon movesets to pull from, each of different types!

I mean, as a sleeper pick that no-one is discussing, I reckon it's feasible - I'd say that it has a likelihood rating of around 45%.
Just a thought though - what do y'all reckon?
I love Eevee and wanted it for smash in the past, so I'd be more than happy with this. However, for SSBU in particular I'd prefer Toxtricity, as I think it's one of the best designs of Sword and Shield and this game may be it's only chance to join Smash.

Eevee however, will always be relevant seeing as how it's practically the second mascot now, not to mention being a Gen 1 mon meaning it will always be popular.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
There's plenty of reasons as to why he's so demanded now. The N.Sane Trilogy was certainly a factor, but it's also the fact that a lot of other characters that would've demanded people's attention for getting into Smash (Sonic, Mega Man, Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo) are already in, so focus can now shift to Crash. There's also the fact that people just really like Crash and his games (or most of the ones that matter anyways), and even grew up with them in place of Mario, Sonic or Mega Man. Examples of this can be seen with Somecallmejohnny and Caddicarus, two big names who were very much Playstation boys who grew attached to Crash in this way as one would to Mario.

There's also the fact that he's orange, and it's scientifically proven that ******* love orange things.

Mario and Sonic was the big one, but Crash was there for a time and managed to hold his own quite well.

It's okay man, we don't think you're being rude at all. It's always nice to see people be civil about their disagreements.
Yeah, I used to be very active on here, but some people in the Smash community can be very aggressive and toxic. I had to remove myself from the equation for a while. There were times I’d get personally attacked for wanting characters like Sora, and I’d get heated too. It wasn’t healthy.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I love Eevee and wanted it for smash in the past, so I'd be more than happy with this. However, for SSBU in particular I'd prefer Toxtricity, as I think it's one of the best designs of Sword and Shield and this game may be it's only chance to join Smash.

Eevee however, will always be relevant seeing as how it's practically the second mascot now, not to mention being a Gen 1 mon meaning it will always be popular.
I've done a lil research and actually, Toxtricity looks really cool! I can't say I'm an expert yet, but given what I can find rn on Bulbapedia, I reckon an original design & moveset shouldn't be too hard for Sakurai at all.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Aight dawgs I'm making me list

Fighter Pass 1: Rex & Olethro Ruins stage
Fighter Pass 2: Sora & Hollow Bastion stage
Fighter 3: Geno & Forest Maze stage
Fighter 4: Crash & Wumpa Islands stage
Fighter 5: Rayman & Band Land stage
Fighter 6: Shantae & Scuttle Town stage
Bonus Fighter: Waluigi

Of course I am 100% right as always and there's no way it's deviating from this at all, pack it up boys, that's your roster

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If we DID get a Bamco rep... I've always considered Agumon the biggest Dark Horse character that'd sneak up on us and get in first. (For reference, the mainstream candidates are some combination of Heihachi, a Tales character, and the Prince. The tier below includes Nightmare and KOS-MOS.)

But, what if I told you, there's somebody else who's another one? I don't think she's likelier than Agumon, but is the other Dark Horse.

Meet Haruka Amami. Basically, Haruka is more video game-ish Miku owned by Bamco. Her franchise, the Idolmaster, is not only clear as day originating from video games, but also incredibly financially successful. While I don't have a good gauge on how popular she is in the Smash fandom, she could probably worm her way in as the "Japan's fan favorite" pack.

Or get a Spirit Event. I wouldn't be too surprised. I don't really care about Idolmaster, and I don't have a moveset in mind.
It's worth noting that Haruka was front-and-center of Bandai-Namco's "Happy 2020" image along with a character from God Eater, the new Tales of Arise protagonist, Don-chan and Katsu-chan, and Heihachi. Goes to show who they consider among their company's faces.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Not going to lie, I don't really like Crash, I think his game aside from the racing spin-off are pretty mediocre and I just hate his design, especially his huge eyebrows. That being said, I know he's a popular request so I would be happy for fans who want him and also, he could bring some excellent music.

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
I was a child of the 90’s and for the life of me I can not recall a rivalry between the 3. Mario and Sonic, yes.

I’m not saying Crash can’t or won’t happen, but I just see why it’s such a big deal when there are other characters that would fit the mark better.

I feel like I’m being rude, and I swear I’m not trying to be.

Wow I didn't think anyone felt the same.

I recall those games (from what I played of them back when they first came out) as being finicky and frustrating platforms and the aesthetic being gross enough to completely turn me off. I remember the advertisements with the guy in a suit being pretty well-done for the time and what they were.

I do not remember, even from my friends who were very big into the Playstation 1 and 2, Crash being a large icon. They told me all about Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid all the time, but Crash was just kind of "also there" and we played it a few times. Kind of like an Arms or Astral Chain level. I can see why people would want the funny mascot in Smash, but I do not think his legacy is near as strong as we portray it to be, nor do I feel his chances to be that strong.

To this end, one of the big things I think, with this Doom quote and how Crash kind of came out of nowhere in the last 6 months, is that we have an English and Western perspective. Like, we can ask Mojang and Id if they've talked to Nintendo very easily at conventions and interviews. Even something like Crash, where nobody specifically is talking, we at least can investigate and track down leads.

I'm not saying characters like Doomguy or Crash are more popular over here vs Japan (though that may be the case), but instead I'm saying that we, as Smash Bros fans who care about DLC, are looking for clues; anything, anywhere. But like with Byleth, we're never going to find any hints between two very close Japanese developers/publishers. If the next characters are from Nintendo franchises, even with second party developers like Golden Sun or Fire Emblem, we will never, in any way, get any hints. Especially after Sakurai went on lockdown for Byleth.

The entire second pass could be first party and we'll be sniffing at tons of dead trails because all the live ones are across the Pacific and in another language.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Yeah, I used to be very active on here, but some people in the Smash community can be very aggressive and toxic. I had to remove myself from the equation for a while. There were times I’d get personally attacked for wanting characters like Sora, and I’d get heated too. It wasn’t healthy.
Yeah I get that, people can get pretty rude when it comes to Smash Speculation. I think the best way to avoid that kind of attitude is to keep your expecations in check and don't get too attached or invested. And by too attached, I mean attached to the point that you willingly dismiss and attack others for their assessments whilst provide little to no logical counterarguments yourself. A lack of communication and an unwillingness to take the time to properly explain yourself in a civil manner is the cause of most problems we experience in the world. That's largely why I tend to make long posts about all sorts of things.

Fighter 1: Rex & Olethro Ruins stage
Fighter 2: Sora & Hollow Bastion stage

Of course I am 100% right as always and there's no way it's deviating from this at all, pack it up boys, that's your roster
I'd be very happy if this was the final outcome.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Th
Don't worry, reception to Byleth has been mostly positive despite how loud the negative voices are
This is more profound then I think most people realize, yet also extremely simple in concept. If you had a nursery with 20 kids and one of them is screaming and crying while the other 19 are content playing with their toys, guess which one will be noticed? IIRC, Byleth comes from the best-selling entry in the franchise. Additionally, FE:TH won the player's choice at the Game Awards. Those two stats mean something. Also, it's kind of difficult for Sakurai to hide his hard on for the franchise. Itsno surprise they are in the game.

That being said, I think the timing was awful and I'm not fond of the choice when considering the alternatives. In a vacuum, I think they are not just good, but incredible picks. Their design is interesting and their moveset looks fun. However, when you consider all of the in-house franchises that people have been hoping would get in for over a decade just to have them shafted for yet another FE rep, it hurts. Then when you consider all of the legendary third-party picks waiting behind Byleth - who is a literal nobody compared to some bigger, more historic characters - the pain is nauseating. For a game that prides itself in being the greatest gaming crossover ever (I would even argue it's the greatest crossover ever) and basically being a museum to gaming as a whole, it's kind of stupid that they keep putting in what are basically one-off characters (barring Ike and Marth) from an already heavily represented franchise. The good news though is that these aren't the last DLC fighters, and we are no doubt getting some awesome picks in the second pass.

Also, I know this is way off topic, but your comment pretty much sums up American politics right now. Hahaha. A bunch of people screaming and yelling when, in reality, most people are not actually just OK with things, but they like them. (I told you that your comment was profound.)

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I mean, who wouldn't say yes to their character getting into Smash Bros.?

One thing to consider is that Phil Spencer has shot down the notion of there ever being a Microsoft Smash clone, on more than one occasion.

https://kotaku.com/microsoft-you-do-not-want-an-xbox-smash-bros-clone-5916929

I think this played a big part into why Spencer was so willing to let Banjo & Kazooie in Smash happen, because as shown by the above, he knows that any attempts of Xbox Game Studios making a Smash Bros. styled game would just be a waste of time and would end up in flames just as PSABR did, so in that sense, it makes more sense to let Nintendo handle their IPs in the real deal, if they were up for it.

I don't think Microsoft themselves are the problem with Chief getting into Smash. If anything, it's just that Smash Bros. is a Japanese game aimed mostly at Japanese audiences, so it's kind of hard to say whether Nintendo/Sakurai would be interested in including him. Same thing with other very western oriented characters like Doom Slayer.
True, I think a lot of people overlook how popular Banjo is in the east. Any “western” fan pick has had popularity back east. This is why I don’t see characters only popular in the West make it into Smash. It hasn’t happened yet, doesn’t mean it can’t, just that there is no precedent for it

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
To this end, one of the big things I think, with this Doom quote and how Crash kind of came out of nowhere in the last 6 months, is that we have an English and Western perspective. Like, we can Mojang and Id if they've talked to Nintendo very easily at conventions and interviews. Even something like Crash, where nobody specifically is talking, we at least can investigate and track down leads.

I'm not saying characters like Doomguy or Crash more popular over here vs Japan (though that may be the case), but instead I'm saying that we, as Smash Bros fans who care about DLC, are looking for clues; anything, anywhere. But like with Byleth, we're never going to find any hints between two very close Japanese developers/publishers. If the next characters are from Nintendo franchises, even with second party developers like Golden Sun or Fire Emblem, we will never, in any way, get any hints. Especially after Sakurai went on lockdown for Byleth.

The entire second pass could be first party and we'll be sniffing at tons of dead trails because all the live ones are across the Pacific and in another language.
That's not speculation.

Speculation nowadays is about concocting tinfoil conspiracy theories and taking the word of "insiders" at face value. We have no need for facts, interviews, or any sort of hard evidence like that.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
That's not speculation.

Speculation nowadays is about concocting tinfoil conspiracy theories and taking the word of "insiders" at face value. We have no need for facts, interviews, or any sort of hard evidence like that.
Right, sorry forgot where I was.

I have personal inside information that Advance Wars will return in 2020 as Fire Emblem: Three Houses 2: Four Nations.

Screenshot this post.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I want reactions from you all if this was our Fighter’s Pass Vol. 2:

Challenger Pack 6:
Monster Hunter
Stage - Ancestral Steppe

Challenger Pack 7:
Pokémon from Sword & Shield (Rillaboom, Cinderace, Inteleon, Galarian Pokémon Trainer?)
Stage - Wild Area

Challenger Pack 8:
Rex & Pyra
Stage - Mor Ardain

Challenger Pack 9:
Sora
Stage - Scala Ad Caelum

Challenger Pack 10:
Heihachi Mishima
Stage - Mishima Dojo

Challenger Pack 11:
Paper Mario
Stage - Battle Stage (complete with audience.)

Packs not necessarily in the order I put them in.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman

Challenger Pack 6:
Monster Hunter
Stage - Ancestral Steppe

Challenger Pack 7:
Pokémon from Sword & Shield (Rillaboom, Cinderace, Inteleon, Galarian Pokémon Trainer?)
Stage - Wild Area

Challenger Pack 8:
Rex & Pyra
Stage - Mor Ardain

Challenger Pack 9:
Sora
Stage - Scala Ad Caelum

Challenger Pack 10:
Heihachi Mishima
Stage - Mishima Dojo

Challenger Pack 11:
Paper Mario

No Crash, 0/10

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Challenger Pack 6:
Monster Hunter
Stage - Ancestral Steppe

Challenger Pack 7:
Stage - Wild Area

Challenger Pack 8:
Rex & Pyra
Stage - Mor Ardain

Challenger Pack 9:
Sora
Stage - Scala Ad Caelum

Challenger Pack 10:
Heihachi Mishima
Stage - Mishima Dojo

Challenger Pack 11:
Paper Mario

Not bad.

Also not amazing. I honestly believe we'll be seeing more third parties primarily, and I especially don't see Rex & Pyra considering they got hard friendzoned spirited by Sakurai while Byleth got in under the same conditions Rex & Pyra were rejected for.

Sora is hella hype though, and the first parties you did choose are some of the better ones ( Idon Idon made me come around to the idea of Cinderace, and I think a real kick-centric character could be fun). I'd be pretty satisfied with this pass ngl.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

Fighter Pass 1: Rex & Olethro Ruins stage
Fighter Pass 2: Sora & Hollow Bastion stage

Rex - “Oh yay, my boyfriend will be so happy.”
Sora - I’d have to be rushed to the ER due to going into cardiac arrest from the excitement.
Geno - “Finally. Now people can hush. ;)
Crash - Meh, okay.
Rayman - Huh?
Shantae - Well, they started out strong.

Not bad.

Also not amazing. I honestly believe we'll be seeing more third parties primarily, and I especially don't see Rex & Pyra considering they got hard friendzoned spirited by Sakurai while Byleth got in under the same conditions Rex & Pyra were rejected for.

Sora is hella hype though, and the first parties you did choose are some of the better ones ( Idon Idon made me come around to the idea of Cinderace, and I think a real kick-centric character could be fun). I'd be pretty satisfied with this pass ngl.
As much as I’d hate it to be Cinderace, I’m in the same boat. Like, he’s such a cool Pokémon. Another fire starter would get people so riled up though.

Sora is my #1 most wanted. I’d ascend if he got announced. Maybe replace Rex with a Tales of Rep, KOS-MOS, or Euden from Dragalia Lost.

I don’t think FPV2 will be as 3rd Party centric. Maybe Lean towards it, but not the majority. 3-4 maybe.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok but try THIS challenger’s pack on for size:

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Neku Sakuraba
3. Octoling (cause they’d be FP8, get it?)
4. Elma (yes, Elma. I still believe Rex is as good as dead in the water and will have to wait for next game)
5. KOS-MOS
6. Ryu Hayabusa

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

Challenger Pack 6:
Monster Hunter
Stage - Ancestral Steppe

Challenger Pack 7:
Stage - Wild Area

Challenger Pack 8:
Rex & Pyra
Stage - Mor Ardain

Challenger Pack 9:
Sora
Stage - Scala Ad Caelum

Challenger Pack 10:
Heihachi Mishima
Stage - Mishima Dojo

Challenger Pack 11:
Paper Mario

Monster Hunter: Don't see them getting in, but they'd be alright
Pokemon: I'm pretty indifferent on all the starters and I doubt they'd ever do another 3 in one character, but I'd love one of the non-starters like Dragapult or something
Rex and Pyra: I really dislike Rex's design but I gotta admit that XC2 fans got screwed over with Smash, so I'd be okay with it
Sora: I don't care for Sora but my reasons are pretty petty so I'll leave it there; I can't deny he'd be big though
Heihachi: I'm not really that into fighting games, but he'd be alright and Namco really ought to get something other than Pac Man only
Paper Mario: Hell yeah; second most wanted character right here

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Maybe I’m not the right person to rate lists right now. I’m still a bit bummed by the Doom Slayer news. Right after Kunio’s deconfirmation. I’m not seeing a bright 2nd pass ahead at this very moment. Still, there’s a whole bunch of characters I still like.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Monster Hunter: Don't see them getting in, but they'd be alright
Pokemon: I'm pretty indifferent on all the starters and I doubt they'd ever do another 3 in one character, but I'd love one of the non-starters like Dragapult or something
Rex and Pyra: I really dislike Rex's design but I gotta admit that XC2 fans got screwed over with Smash, so I'd be okay with it
Sora: I don't care for Sora but my reasons are pretty petty so I'll leave it there; I can't deny he'd be big though
Heihachi: I'm not really that into fighting games, but he'd be alright and Namco really ought to get something other than Pac Man only
Paper Mario: Hell yeah; second most wanted character right here
I still don’t understand how Paper Mario isn’t in. The moveset potential writes itself. He is also my second most wanted fighter.

Sorry I failed to meet the mark for you personally otherwise.

I know Sora is controversial, but God, I’d have to be rushed to the hospital to get my heart rate to go down if he got announced. Again, another character who’s moveset potential is divine.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Challenger Pack 6:
Monster Hunter
Stage - Ancestral Steppe

Challenger Pack 7:
Stage - Wild Area

Challenger Pack 8:
Rex & Pyra
Stage - Mor Ardain

Challenger Pack 9:
Sora
Stage - Scala Ad Caelum

Challenger Pack 10:
Heihachi Mishima
Stage - Mishima Dojo

Challenger Pack 11:
Paper Mario

Monster Hunter: Not my first Capcom pick, but far from my last.

Pokemon SwSh: Cinderace? Hell yeah!

Rex & Pyra: I'm down for that, but sadly won't happen anytime soon.

Sora: Yes please X 100. Also, get the defibrillator!

Heihachi: Meh I prefer Jin Kazama

Paper Mario: Meh not interest in him but a unique choice nonetheless.

All in all 4/6 not bad. I personally would like to have a character from Tekken, just not Heihachi. Also Cinderace would be such a hype choice for me

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Dream Pass:

-Steve
-Geno
-Gengar
-Skull Kid
-Separate Alph or Louie
-Porky Minch
-a bunch of others I can’t fit in, such as Toad

Predictions:

-Crash Bandicoot
-Geno
-Steve or Chief
-Dante
-Reimu
-Waluigi

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I still don’t understand how Paper Mario isn’t in. The moveset potential writes itself. He is also my second most wanted fighter.

Sorry I failed to meet the mark for you personally otherwise.

I know Sora is controversial, but God, I’d have to be rushed to the hospital to get my heart rate to go down if he got announced. Again, another character who’s moveset potential is divine.
You don't need to apologise :), we've all got our own tastes and preferences - Rex and Sora aren't personally my cup of tea, but they are for a lot of people, and I doubt there'd be many people other than me popping off if a fully playable Master Hand was revealed

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
*Giggles*
My girlfriend just sent me a suggestion for a Pokémon rep.
Gloria riding a Wooloo.
The ultimate sword and shield rep make it happen

You don't need to apologise :), we've all got our own tastes and preferences - Rex and Sora aren't personally my cup of tea, but they are for a lot of people, and I doubt there'd be many people other than me popping off if a fully playable Master Hand was revealed
I would be one of the people other than you popping off if Master Hand was announced as a fighter. You're not alone hon :3

Flyboy

Smash Hero
That's not speculation.

Well luckily for all of you I'm a real insider who puts her money where her mouth is and I'm here to hit you all up with some actual picture evidence BABY that's right.

You may know me from my famous leaks of The Game Guy and Terry, but this one? This one's gonna knock your SOCKS off.

This is a screencaps from an upcoming trailer. I can't mention the character by name, or Sakurai will assassinate me personally, but I can say that this definitely looks good for fans of a certain character.

1280px-SSBU-Green_Greens_2_2.png

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Well luckily for all of you I'm a real insider who puts her money where her mouth is and I'm here to hit you all up with some actual picture evidence BABY that's right.

You may know me from my famous leaks of The Game Guy and Terry, but this one? This one's gonna knock your SOCKS off.

This is a screencaps from an upcoming trailer. I can't mention the character by name, or Sakurai will assassinate me personally, but I can say that this definitely looks good for fans of a certain character.

View attachment 259237
I can verify this leaks authenticity because Ken is in his "thumbs up" pose. All real leaks have Ken in that pose.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Th

This is more profound then I think most people realize, yet also extremely simple in concept. If you had a nursery with 20 kids and one of them is screaming and crying while the other 19 are content playing with their toys, guess which one will be noticed? IIRC, Byleth comes from the best-selling entry in the franchise. Additionally, FE:TH won the player's choice at the Game Awards. Those two stats mean something. Also, it's kind of difficult for Sakurai to hide his hard on for the franchise. Itsno surprise they are in the game.

That being said, I think the timing was awful and I'm not fond of the choice when considering the alternatives. In a vacuum, I think they are not just good, but incredible picks. Their design is interesting and their moveset looks fun. However, when you consider all of the in-house franchises that people have been hoping would get in for over a decade just to have them shafted for yet another FE rep, it hurts. Then when you consider all of the legendary third-party picks waiting behind Byleth - who is a literal nobody compared to some bigger, more historic characters - the pain is nauseating. For a game that prides itself in being the greatest gaming crossover ever (I would even argue it's the greatest crossover ever) and basically being a museum to gaming as a whole, it's kind of stupid that they keep putting in what are basically one-off characters (barring Ike and Marth) from an already heavily represented franchise. The good news though is that these aren't the last DLC fighters, and we are no doubt getting some awesome picks in the second pass.

Also, I know this is way off topic, but your comment pretty much sums up American politics right now. Hahaha. A bunch of people screaming and yelling when, in reality, most people are not actually just OK with things, but they like them. (I told you that your comment was profound.)
Oh I'm not just talking about how popular 3H is and that it got a LOT of praise, but rather, if Byleth was hated as much as they seem to be, why are there more likes than dislikes on the trailer videos and not more in line with Federation Force's ratio

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Challenger Pack 6:
Monster Hunter
Stage - Ancestral Steppe

Challenger Pack 7:
Stage - Wild Area

Challenger Pack 8:
Rex & Pyra
Stage - Mor Ardain

Challenger Pack 9:
Sora
Stage - Scala Ad Caelum

Challenger Pack 10:
Heihachi Mishima
Stage - Mishima Dojo

Challenger Pack 11:
Paper Mario

Amazing Pass overall, but if this were to pan out you'd still hear me ******** about Pokemon.

Still, I don't see SwSh or MonHun getting characters.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Monster Hunter: Not my first Capcom pick, but far from my last.

Pokemon SwSh: Cinderace? Hell yeah!

Rex & Pyra: I'm down for that, but sadly won't happen anytime soon.

Sora: Yes please X 100. Also, get the defibrillator!

Heihachi: Meh I prefer Jin Kazama

Paper Mario: Meh not interest in him but a unique choice nonetheless.

All in all 4/6 not bad. I personally would like to have a character from Tekken, just not Heihachi. Also Cinderace would be such a hype choice for me
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve dreamt of Sora’s reveal, and the trailer is always the same.

Krankees

Smash Ace

Challenger Pack 6:
Monster Hunter
Stage - Ancestral Steppe

Challenger Pack 7:
Stage - Wild Area

Challenger Pack 8:
Rex & Pyra
Stage - Mor Ardain

Challenger Pack 9:
Sora
Stage - Scala Ad Caelum

Challenger Pack 10:
Heihachi Mishima
Stage - Mishima Dojo

Challenger Pack 11:
Paper Mario

Monster Hunter: I still think Monster Hunter is out and that Dante is the current frontrunner.

Gen 8 Pokemon: I could see it happening and would like it.

Rex & Pyra: I would like but I also don't see it happening.

Sora: I played Kingdom Hearts recently and would be excited for this but my most excited.

Crash: Could happen though I wouldn't be too moved by it.

Paper Mario: I'm not sure how likely he would be considering there are other Nintendo picks to go for, especially recent ones.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's not speculation.

The crazy theories have always been part of Smash speculation, people constantly overanalyzed Sakurai's PotD back during Smash 4, and some of the theories that people made up during Brawl speculation makes most modern theories look like top class detective work.

Insiders' influence on speculation is definitely worse than ever though. Whether legitimate or not, the effects it has on the community is just draining.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman

Challenger Pack 6:
Monster Hunter
Stage - Ancestral Steppe

Challenger Pack 7:
Stage - Wild Area

Challenger Pack 8:
Rex & Pyra
Stage - Mor Ardain

Challenger Pack 9:
Sora
Stage - Scala Ad Caelum

Challenger Pack 10:
Heihachi Mishima
Stage - Mishima Dojo

Challenger Pack 11:
Paper Mario

Monster Hunter - I invested roughly 2,000 hours in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate alone. I would definitely be excited, and even more so for a friend of mine who has been clamoring for this addition since Sm4sh DLC. Also, beautiful stage!
New Pokemon/Trainer - My hype level would depend on which one, but honestly, I'm always up for another Pokemon. The stage would probably distract me to some extent, 'cause I'd be looking at the various Pokemon showing up in the background. LOL Still a cool idea, though.
Rex & Pyra - As I said previously, nice! The stage pick would be a little eh for me (nature boy, here), but we don't have all that many industrial settings to choose from, I guess, so it'd definitely be a switch from the likes of Gaur Plain.
Sora - Cool, they did it. I'm not big on Kingdom Hearts, but I feel like this would be the biggest impact character they could add currently, and I'd be really happy for all the fans out there. Scala Ad Caelum looks pretty, so stage hype for sure!
Heihachi - Eh, he's cool, he's got personality, and Smash needed an old man at some point (besides Cranky's shadow). Mishima Dojo is... Cool, but kind of creepy. Probably the least hype out of this pass for me, but still not a disappointment in the least; generally happy about anyone getting in. LOL
Paper Mario - Actually in my top five most wanted; super hype! At the same time, I'd feel almost a little guilty since some may be very angry about this inclusion due to already having two versions of Mario... But, I'd get over it with time and enjoy the heck out of getting one of my top picks from one of my absolute favourite games. Battle Stage would be excellent, and most likely highly entertaining, especially during casual play.

Another strong pass lineup, in my opinion, but as I say, I'm generally pretty happy with stuff regardless of who all get in.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

I'm gonna be real here, I don't think Namco would want their pop idol fighting other characters. From what I saw on the wiki about her series, she is just a regular girl. All she does is sing and eat deserts, so what would set her apart from other characters, and why would she be a better rhythm game pick than someone from Nintendo's own in-house rhythm series, or heck, even Don-chan himself, who has a very clear presence on Nintendo.

I can see a Digimon character, or a Soul Calibur, or even a Tekken one or Don-chan, but not this rando anime girl. Sorry.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I have a question for Crash fans. The first pass have a big emphasis on characters gimmick and unique mechanics, even Sakurai acknowledge it. I'm guessing the second pass will also have lot of these, so what would Crash could bring new? By the way I'm not asking that because I think a character that have no gimmick have no chance, I'm just curious to read some idea because I really don't have any.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Ok but try THIS challenger’s pack on for size:

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Neku Sakuraba
3. Octoling (cause they’d be FP8, get it?)
4. Elma (yes, Elma. I still believe Rex is as good as dead in the water and will have to wait for next game)
5. KOS-MOS
6. Ryu Hayabusa
1. Eh okay but I'm more of a Spyro fan.
2. Sounds good. If I can't get Sora, I'd be down for Neku.
3. Not sure how to feel about getting an echo fighter in DLC (unless they're not then I'm sorry), but at least it's an echo of a good character so why not, I'm in.
4. Yes please bring her home.
5. She's always sounded like an interesting character so yes.
6. Yes, I want more ninja in Smash please.
All in all, pretty good list.
*Giggles*
My girlfriend just sent me a suggestion for a Pokémon rep.
Gloria riding a Wooloo.
The ultimate sword and shield rep make it happen
Final Smash everyone dies due to overwhelming adorableness.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
1. Eh okay but I'm more of a Spyro fan.
2. Sounds good. If I can't get Sora, I'd be down for Neku.
3. Not sure how to feel about getting an echo fighter in DLC (unless they're not then I'm sorry), but at least it's an echo of a good character so why not, I'm in.
4. Yes please bring her home.
5. She's always sounded like an interesting character so yes.
6. Yes, I want more ninja in Smash please.
All in all, pretty good list.

Final Smash everyone dies due to overwhelming adorableness.
Assume Octoling is a semi clone in the vein of Wolf/Lucas/Isabelle, using some weapons the Inklings don’t like chargers and dualies

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I wonder how big the disappointment will be when the next DLC fighter is someone completely different than the chars that are thrown around currently.
Byleth is not even one week old and this thread is going bonkers already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom