• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Robin was revealed in the very first Ultimate trailer, and Chrom is part of their Final Smash.
They wanted to hide the ways Chrom was represented in 4, even if only Ike's Chrom palette was cut.

D

Deleted member

Though admitedly I am in the camp that we won't know who Fighter 6 until E3, so I don't know if a Smash reveal is gonna happen there.
Well, we didn't get Joker until April, so we are really expecting a long wait time. And with no credible leakers (hope there won't be screwups like the SNK Leak, though Verge info is still hot and spicy like kimchi)...safe to say that anyone is still on the table.

Speaking of which, oh yeah. No more deconfirms from Verge and Sabi. Geez, that season was tiring for everyone here.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Granted I do take every he says with a massive grain of salt, but that seems interesting since its been years since they did a general direct on a Tuesday, its usually been either Wednesday or Thursday I believe.
I just want that ****ing 3D World port. I love that game more than I love spaghetti.
And if it comes with extra characters, extra levels, or extra anything really, that would make me smile like a madman.
Speaking of which, oh yeah. No more deconfirms from Verge and Sabi. Geez, that season was tiring for everyone here.
I mean, they WERE right.
All the deconfirmed characters were certainly not it.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Edit: Piss! Accidental double post. Please delete.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I just want that ****ing 3D World port. I love that game more than I love spaghetti.
And if it comes with extra characters, extra levels, or extra anything really, that would make me smile like a madman.
Same here man, 3D World like great Wii U deserves another a chance at life. Though I get the feeling we are gonna see reveal and the release of the Pikmin 3 port before the 3D World port. Since that was rumored to come out last year, but the additional content they are adding apparently pushed it back.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
@Fatmanonice told me in DMs that he expects a Direct on the 28th.
The same day Byleth is supposed to be released, as well as Fighters Pass 2 going up on the eShop for purchase?

I could see that possibly happening. During the Direct, they could easily put in a "Don't forget, Byleth releases for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate TODAY! Oh, and by the way..." tidbit that transitions to a Fighter 6 reveal.

Granted, I'm skeptical of a Direct and Fighter 6 reveal in January. I think the reveal will happen soon, but that sounds too soon to me... but hey, I'll be happy to be wrong if it ends up being true.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The same day Byleth is supposed to be released, as well as Fighters Pass 2 going up on the eShop for purchase?

I could see that possibly happening. During the Direct, they could easily put in a "Don't forget, Byleth releases for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate TODAY! Oh, and by the way..." tidbit that transitions to a Fighter 6 reveal.

Granted, I'm skeptical of a Direct and Fighter 6 reveal in January. I think the reveal will happen soon, but that sounds too soon to me... but hey, I'll be happy to be wrong if it ends up being true.
That Mandy leaker said that Crash Bandicoot would come "immediately" after the first Fighter's Pass.
But they are under scrutiny by Sabi for deactivating their account. She was like, "Nintendo can't take down text leaks, boii!"

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I doubt a Tuesday direct. While it's not super out there, I just don't think it';s hjappening. I think the direct is more for February.

Krankees

Smash Ace
So far I haven't found the Kunio news spread internationally yet. I see three possibilities from most likely to least likely.

1. They just haven't spread the news yet and is planning it soon which is the most likely.

2. They might be planning to switch to River City Ransom sprites for international version which could happen.

3. Japanese only spirits which I don't see very likely at all.

ZelDan

Smash Master
If we get a general direct I feel like it won't happen until February since we already got 2 directs this month. has Nintendo ever done 3 in a month in the past?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If we get a general direct I feel like it won't happen until February since we already got 2 directs this month. has Nintendo ever done 3 in a month in the past?
The Smash Presentation was neither marketed nor presented as a Direct.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If a Direct is happening in the last week of January, we'll likely know next Sunday A.D. on the 26th.

If not, I'm betting on a Direct the week after between February 4th and 6th... which thankfully still isn't too long a wait from now.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
As much as I disliked Byleth as a "marketing pick", if Toad (and a Toadette echo) is the first character for Volume 2 to promote the rumored 3D World port, I wouldn't even be mad.
I legit love the Mario series that much.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Finally finished this template for Saber from Fate/stay night as a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC Character.
View attachment 259176
(Click to View Larger Size)
Saber's default costume, used as base for the 3rd & 4th slots as well, is the main Saber used in the series, real name Arturia Pendragon, while her alternate costume is a different Saber, real name Nero and often nicknamed Red Saber, who was first used in Fate/EXTRA. She has a second alternate costume as well of Saber Alter, or Arturia corrupted.
The characters in her Classic Mode Route are references to other characters from her series, namely: Archer, Assassin, Rider, Berserker, Gilgamesh, and Caster..and I threw in Dracula as her Boss mostly because I thought he was the most fitting one and I didn't want to do a typical Master Hand/Crazy Hand Boss Battle.

For her Alternate Costumes, these are their inspirations...I couldn't find good enough, easy to edit sprites to use, so I actually made custom colours off of artwork..so I kinda wanted to show 'em off at a larger size anyway. They're all thumbnails, so click to view at full size.
View attachment 259177
- Lapis Lazuli Dress
View attachment 259178
- Red Saber's Casual Clothes
View attachment 259179
- Saber Lion from Fate/tiger colosseum
View attachment 259180
- Saber Lily from Fate/unlimited codes
View attachment 259181
- Saber Alter's Casual Clothes
Wait, don't Artoria and Nero have different Noble Phantasms and abilities? I don't think they'd work as palette swaps

Granted I do take every he says with a massive grain of salt, but that seems interesting since its been years since they did a general direct on a Tuesday, its usually been either Wednesday or Thursday I believe.
Me thinks that if there is a direct on the 28th, we might be getting a teaser trailer of Fighter 1 of Season 2 (mostly so it isn't a completely blind purchase)

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
The next thing I expect is an Animal Crossing direct, probably in February. I don't quite understand why Nintendo is barely showing anything regarding this game.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I really want to see what new games get revealed in the next direct, maybe we’ll get a character from one of those upcoming games.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Just because you bolded the number, doesn't make it a big deal. And just because you named other things that sold less, doesn't make Golden Sun an important franchise.
Attack on the form and lack of arguments to strenghten the main thesis are evidence of the weakness of the original assertion. If you didn't want to convince me, you've succeeded. For now I'll consider myself as right on this case.

But if Spirits are out, and fully out, then are they going to do 6 third party characters, with what seems to be a budget that's not very viable? Somehow I doubt that. Every relevant first party character is in as at least a Spirit, if not an Assist, Cameo or Boss Fight. I dunno, it just doesn't seem very financially viable to attempt to do this, with how profits are going everywhere...
That is exactly the reason why AT/spirit shouldn't be seen as a deconfirmation to first party characters. Every single viable first party is already in the game in some form. The only possibility for a new first party is if it is tied to a new game like, maybe, BOTW2, which can totally happen but I'm still doubtful.

Mechanically, which genre's would you like to see crossover with Smash next?
It's probably not a popular opinion, but JRPG, because half my wants are from JRPG.
Otherwise, I want an Advance Wars rep only to see how Sakurai would make it works.

Food for thought:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/21/doom...ew-chess-arcade-shooter-12095644/?ito=cbshare

This interview concerning Doom Eternal mentions Smash:

With this, I think we have a potential deconfirm but I’ll let you all handle this one.
Exactly. That's a way clearer and into depth talk than "Is XXX in Smash? - I can't answer you." or "Is XXX in Smash? - That would be cool.". I was already suspicious because of the lack of renown in Japan but I believe it even more now that Doomguy isn't one of the character in the fighter pass.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh, so Doom Person is most likely out? Kinda surprising of a deconfirmation, but I'd have to lie if I said that was unhappy about it. Still, my condolences to the supporters.

Problem with that is that general Directs pretty much always happen in the first half of the month. I'm not saying that it's impossible for one to still happen this month, but I really wouldn't bank on it.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Dragalia Lost has no content in Ultimate, there's a prime 1st party character there.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I saw discussion earlier about how spirit events are like a slasher movie where no franchise is safe. Well jokes on that because if you support a Sony character then you don't have to worry about these spirit events at all, the reason being is that we'll probably get nothing from Sony in the first place.:4pacman:

This is the best part about being a supporter for a Playstation character for smash, you don't have to worry about deconfirmations because it's either a full on DLC pack or nothing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Food for thought:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/21/doom...ew-chess-arcade-shooter-12095644/?ito=cbshare

For reference I’ve included the relevant bit:

GC: What about the rumours of Doom Slayer being in Smash Bros.? [This was a couple of days before the Byleth announcement – GC] Do you think it could ever happen? MS: I don’t know. We’ve asked them. GC: You asked them? MS: Yeah. GC: Well, that’s how Solid Snake got in it. Would they discount it just because of the gore and violence though? MS: I dunno. You would honestly have to ask them. We’ve never been approached and said, ‘Hey can Doomguy be in Smash Bros.?’ But we’re open-minded if they wanna ask. But we hear it all the time [from fans]. Who would say no? [laughs] GC: But you did ask them? MS: We’ve had… I don’t even know who talked to who, but we’ve bantered with them. We have a great relationship with them through bringing Doom 2016 to Switch and that kind of stuff. So we have great people over there but it’s one of those things where it’s like, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool?’ But it’s never gone anywhere serious, so we’ll see.

With this, I think we have a potential deconfirm but I’ll let you all handle this one.

By the way I apologize if someone already posted this.
Better luck next year...the game looks amazing and all, but this is confusing at best and straight up out of the question at worst.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Pretty sure they have had Spirits since launch. Like unless my memory is wrong, I am pretty sure I unlocked them in fact.
I'm pretty sure you're imagining that. I can't find a single trace of them anywhere, and I have all the non-DLC spirits.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pretty sure they have had Spirits since launch. Like unless my memory is wrong, I am pretty sure I unlocked them in fact.
Considering I can find every spirit via the SmashWiki, which is updated all the way up to Terry, and has none... nope.

Maybe there was something else you were thinking of?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I really hope Double Dragon ALSO gets a spirit event.
Bonus points if the Spirit name is "Bimmy and Jimmy".

Indeed. If it's a fake video, a giant prank to cause attention is ridiculously foolish and only going to make people angry.

If the video was real, he acted poorly, but at least he was honest about how he felt and that's better than heavily lying.

It's fair to say when somebody says "I'll never be mad if I get this character" isn't something to hold onto very well. People can react differently and changes their minds on things. It's not like it was a hard promise(might as well be, heh). He's absolutely within his right to feel differently as different situations come up. How he responds is a different story.

Anyway, he should've let it be or just apologized. Better off not saying he faked it, even if it was faked. Nobody's going to care nor find out most likely, and people would rather forgive him for his outburst if he at least saw the error of it. I mean, not all will, but that's just reality too.
Some people genuinely make big dumb mistakes like this. Unless he’s a master at acting, it’s certainly easier to believe, because his performance would’ve been like if time machines were real. That’s how good it would’ve been. He could’ve lucked out, but I’m not sure.

Regardless, I don’t think people should be giving him crap or harassing him over videogames anyway.
To be frank, people here will give him crap regardless of his course of action. It's been that way for a while. So no, even if it was real and he "apologized", it wouldn't have been enough for them.

Just move on, people. Jesus.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure you're imagining that. I can't find a single trace of them anywhere, and I have all the non-DLC spirits.
It appears I have gone crazy, I even checked my game and the Spirits never existed...

Well I can say that Dragalia Lost is in the table for DLC plans or a Spirit board.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well looks like the minor 3rd party list on Smash Wiki continues to grow.

I wonder if this means Arc Systems Works have anything more lined up.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Where's Mighty Wind?
I'll be honest, I know nothing of Fate/stay night outside of what I researched this week, 1 movie, and 9 episodes of the first anime. I asked for songs and only got two from Fate/stay night, so I used those and tried to find some songs from some other games that sounded cool to add to it.
That song is awesome though, I just gave it a listen, consider it under the 'and more' there.
Wait, don't Artoria and Nero have different Noble Phantasms and abilities? I don't think they'd work as palette swaps
Like I said above, I don't know much about the series..I asked my Fate/ superfan friend if Nero would work as an alternate for Arturia and he said 'yeah', so I went with it...honestly, it was Saber Alter as an alternate costume that he felt iffy on.
Though, I mean, it wouldn't be the first time a character or costume didn't match their actual self..take any of the Koopalings turning into Shadow Mario, Ganondorf's movesets for the most part, and Dark Samus as a Samus clone.
Maybe if they're willing to change idle poses and stuff they'd be willing to change some purely visual affects of some moves to better reflect costumes.
I mean, its not like Saber Alter fights like normal Saber either, but she'd still make an awesome costume swap and give a little more fan service.
If nothing else though, we could just replace that with a red colour to reference Nero, same for a Shadow Link-esque recolour for Saber Alter on regular Saber.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It hasn't stopped FE because it hasn't happened.

Even Corrin, while coming out before his game even released in the Americas, still existed. He was in the first trailer they ever showed off of the game.
Same with Greninja who actually did just make a moveset purely based off of concept art. The game had already released so people knew what a "Greninja" was.

Including a character from BotW2 meanwhile would basically be Sakurai going "Here's this character you don't know about yet. He doesn't exist yet, but he will in BotW2!" which I don't find Sakurai doing. Until we see any progress updates on BotW2, which may or may not be a long while, I find the chances of a BotW2 character slim to none.

Hm, maybe. We know nothing about the game and with the amount of time they have, they really could do anything with it.

I doubt it'd be Impa in particular though since BotW Impa is an extraordinarily old woman who can't do anything beyond spout exposition from a chair and tease her grand-daughter.
Impa can't do much in that state no. But as said in another post, Purah, her sister, was working on a anti aging rune in BotW. She used it on herself and took on the appearance of a child despite being older than Impa. If they used the rune on Impa, which is a likely thing cause she's the leader of the Sheikah AND Purah's sister, so quite important, there can easily be a younger Impa in BotW2. This is pure speculation however.

Since Ganondorf is likely coming back to BotW2, I could see young Impa being there as well. Again, based on pure speculation. But what else we got ? I honestly doubt that Sakurai would make BotW Zelda playable. Yeah she could be, but as a alternative / Echo of current Zelda. Same with Zombie Ganondorf. Would be quite clever actually.

Anyway, after seeing the sort of moveset Byleth got, I started to imagine a younger BotW Impa using the Sheikah Slate for her Specials and a bunch of Sheikah weapons for her normals that Link doesn't use, as short swords, spears and heavy blades. Spears and heavy blades of course being a throwback to her Hyrule Warriors appearance, and short swords are the Sheikah clan's main weapons as seen in BotW and the artworks of Impa and Sheik in Ocarina of Time.

I'm literally typing this from the toilet. So take it however you want it. If Impa is there in BotW2 and has a major role, I'm expecting her to be the token Zelda DLC character.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/69991/sonys-first-party-ps4-exclusives-coming-pc/index.html

This isn't directly related to Smash but it's another blow to the "Sony is close-minded and does not like cooperating with others" argument that I've been seeing. Between this and a Playstation team attending a Smash tournament in Japan, I think Sony cooperating with Nintendo for Smash doesn't seem that infeasible.
Sure, it's not the Switch or Xbox, but it's yet another recent example of them breaking out of their home turf.

I saw discussion earlier about how spirit events are like a slasher movie where no franchise is safe. Well jokes on that because if you support a Sony character then you don't have to worry about these spirit events at all, the reason being is that we'll probably get nothing from Sony in the first place.:4pacman:

This is the best part about being a supporter for a Playstation character for smash, you don't have to worry about deconfirmations because it's either a full on DLC pack or nothing.
Same for Sora, really. No way is Nintendo dealing with Disney just for some PNGs and/or a Mii Costume. It's all or nothing here.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Food for thought:

GC: What about the rumours of Doom Slayer being in Smash Bros.? [This was a couple of days before the Byleth announcement – GC] Do you think it could ever happen? MS: I don’t know. We’ve asked them. GC: You asked them? MS: Yeah. GC: Well, that’s how Solid Snake got in it. Would they discount it just because of the gore and violence though? MS: I dunno. You would honestly have to ask them. We’ve never been approached and said, ‘Hey can Doomguy be in Smash Bros.?’ But we’re open-minded if they wanna ask. But we hear it all the time [from fans]. Who would say no? [laughs] GC: But you did ask them? MS: We’ve had… I don’t even know who talked to who, but we’ve bantered with them. We have a great relationship with them through bringing Doom 2016 to Switch and that kind of stuff. So we have great people over there but it’s one of those things where it’s like, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool?’ But it’s never gone anywhere serious, so we’ll see.

Damn... That's some really bad news. Guess it's better to assume for now that Doom Guy is done for. Just makes it all the more better if he does actually become a fighter.

But this just means Sgt. Cortez can avenge him by becoming a playable character!

The road to being Fighter 11 is upon Cortez!

Yeah! It's Time to Split!

It's time to split fast.gif

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/69991/sonys-first-party-ps4-exclusives-coming-pc/index.html

This isn't directly related to Smash but it's another blow to the "Sony is close-minded and does not like cooperating with others" argument that I've been seeing. Between this and a Playstation team attending a Smash tournament in Japan, I think Sony cooperating with Nintendo for Smash doesn't seem that infeasible.
Sony has been the most reluctant to "play nice" but I think those attitudes are changing. They still see Microsoft as competitors and I can't help at see a little bitterness in the Switch Lite basically being a successful Vita but no harm can come from making old exclusives available on PC.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Food for thought:

Damn, that’s really depressing; I’ve been daydreaming about the Slayer in Smash for a while now.

Save us Master Chief, you’re our only hope for a FPS Rep now.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Really wanted Doom Slayer if true but Master Chief would be a great alternative and honestly I think he has a solid chance given Nintendo's and Microsoft's great relationship and crossplay along with the rumors of the Halo games being ported to the Switch.
That I could kinda see. They release Byleth and so they don't keep us waiting until E3 they reveal the first post-Pass character which by then with the latter or close to it said first post-Pass character gets released. I could then see the E3 reveal being released sometime in the Fall.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’ll say this. While Halo/Xbox isn’t too popular in Japan, it still gets a decent amount of merchandise from Japanese companies. I’ve never seen any Doom merch from those companies (sadly). So Halo must have some appeal in Japan, even if it’s just aesthetically.

There’s also the chance that Nintendo passed over Doom because of Halo. Whether because of the gore associated with the new Doom games or just because Halo is bigger.

Man, I just hope Sakurai doesn’t pass on a FPS character if he truly wants this game to be a celebration of gaming. There’s so many good FPS games & it’s such a huge genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom