• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Sony's not as known for playing nice, so I dunno about them getting a character in since they keep to themselves. I kind of doubt we'll see another Microsoft character, but I don't think it's impossible either. Cheif would be fine by me, but I'll mostly root for Fulgore.
Yeah while they're not the most generous kid on the playground, a character from them would be quite the twist for the fighters pass.

If they ever do play nice, I hope they allow Kat to be put in so I have a once in a blue moon chance of playing Gravity Rush on the Switch.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Reposting from another comment.
He wasn't "implying" that talks never developed into anything serious, he outright said it. Plus, "We’ve never been approached and said, ‘Hey can Doomguy be in Smash Bros.?’", so if they haven't been asked if Doomguy can be in Smash Bros., then Doomguy can't be in Smash Bros. That's literally the first step that needs to happen, legally, for a third-party character to be in Smash Bros.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah while they're not the most generous kid on the playground, a character from them would be quite the twist for the fighters pass.

If they ever do play nice, I hope they allow Kat to be put in so I have a once in a blue moon chance of playing Gravity Rush on the Switch.
Maybe. If we ever get a Sony character. I'd personally pick Ratchet and Clank. Really fun series if you never played any.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Denial: it's not just a river in Egypt.
He wasn't "implying" that talks never developed into anything serious, he outright said it. Plus, "We’ve never been approached and said, ‘Hey can Doomguy be in Smash Bros.?’", so if they haven't been asked if Doomguy can be in Smash Bros., then Doomguy can't be in Smash Bros. That's literally the first step that needs to happen, legally, for a third-party character to be in Smash Bros.
I'm not saying that this doesn't hurt Doomguy's chances whatsoever. Call it being in denial if you'd like, but I'm not going to completely dismiss a character just because of something like this. I wouldn't do that for Dante, I wouldn't do that for Travis, and I'm not going to do it for Doomguy.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Finally finished this template for Saber from Fate/stay night as a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC Character.
SmashTemplate2Saber.png
(Click to View Larger Size)
Saber's default costume, used as base for the 3rd & 4th slots as well, is the main Saber used in the series, real name Arturia Pendragon, while her alternate costume is a different Saber, real name Nero and often nicknamed Red Saber, who was first used in Fate/EXTRA. She has a second alternate costume as well of Saber Alter, or Arturia corrupted.
The characters in her Classic Mode Route are references to other characters from her series, namely: Archer, Assassin, Rider, Berserker, Gilgamesh, and Caster..and I threw in Dracula as her Boss mostly because I thought he was the most fitting one and I didn't want to do a typical Master Hand/Crazy Hand Boss Battle.

For her Alternate Costumes, these are their inspirations...I couldn't find good enough, easy to edit sprites to use, so I actually made custom colours off of artwork..so I kinda wanted to show 'em off at a larger size anyway. They're all thumbnails, so click to view at full size.
Cos3.png
- Lapis Lazuli Dress
Cos4.png
- Red Saber's Casual Clothes
Cos5.png
- Saber Lion from Fate/tiger colosseum
Cos6.png
- Saber Lily from Fate/unlimited codes
Cos8.png
- Saber Alter's Casual Clothes

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Am I the only one that DIDN'T take Doom Slayer's "deconfirmation" seriously?
I remember being in an official Activision Crash Bandicoot stream hoping for the reveal of the Spyro Reignited Trilogy, which was heavily rumored at the time, and they were asked about Crash in Smash and said pretty much the same thing the Doom person did.
Yet no one took that as a deconfirmation, and Crash is still heavily rumored. Even now, he's in the news for being supposedly leaked.
To me, nothing is a deconfirmation short of a direct statement from Sakurai or Nintendo.
NDAs seem pretty damn loose.

Edit: I usually just view these kind of statements as confirmation bias.
If you want the character, it's an NDA.
If you don't, then the character was killed off.

Last edited:

ManlyPlant

Smash Rookie
NDA's are loose but people have such a fantastical view of them that it just well strikes me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HB7zqP9QNo
Oh yeah also warning about the language in the video and stuff.

I believe they're telling the truth and saying it lead to nothing personally. Not against being wrong though, but I feel like dismissing this as an NDA is kinda silly.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Spyro's Japanese releases really got hoe'd. I would like to think characters mostly popular in the west can still have a chance, but it's still probably a smaller chance.

At least Crash is pretty popular character in both the West and the East.
Spyro's Japanese localization is so fascinating as it can be a case study of what not to do when bring a game over to another region. As well as how just changing 1 major gameplay aspect will completely destroy the quality of said game.

The franchise really did get screw over in Japan, by the changes they brought to it for its Japanese release.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
The situation is either you think Stratton is a liar or you think he's telling the truth. It smells like a killshot to me and I'm going to treat Doomguy as dead from now on.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
NDA's are loose but people have such a fantastical view of them that it just well strikes me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HB7zqP9QNo

I believe they're telling the truth and saying it lead to nothing personally. Not against being wrong though, but I feel like dismissing this as an NDA is kinda silly.
Haha. That perfectly personifies what I said about confirmation bias.
But you should probably put in a warning that that video says ****.
I've gotten warnings for censor dodging for something similar.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Finally finished this template for Saber from Fate/stay night as a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC Character.
View attachment 259176
(Click to View Larger Size)
Saber's default costume, used as base for the 3rd & 4th slots as well, is the main Saber used in the series, real name Arturia Pendragon, while her alternate costume is a different Saber, real name Nero and often nicknamed Red Saber, who was first used in Fate/EXTRA. She has a second alternate costume as well of Saber Alter, or Arturia corrupted.
The characters in her Classic Mode Route are references to other characters from her series, namely: Archer, Assassin, Rider, Berserker, Gilgamesh, and Caster..and I threw in Dracula as her Boss mostly because I thought he was the most fitting one and I didn't want to do a typical Master Hand/Crazy Hand Boss Battle.

For her Alternate Costumes, these are their inspirations...I couldn't find good enough, easy to edit sprites to use, so I actually made custom colours off of artwork..so I kinda wanted to show 'em off at a larger size anyway. They're all thumbnails, so click to view at full size.
View attachment 259177
- Lapis Lazuli Dress
View attachment 259178
- Red Saber's Casual Clothes
View attachment 259179
- Saber Lion from Fate/tiger colosseum
View attachment 259180
- Saber Lily from Fate/unlimited codes
View attachment 259181
- Saber Alter's Casual Clothes
Where's Mighty Wind?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Kirkhope really did a ****ing number on people, huh. :ohwell:

Doom Slayer is in my sig and I think this deconfirms him.
I'm on mobile. I cannot see signatures.
But still, I just don't take hardly anything as a hard deconfirmation.
As plenty stated in the thread, Grant Kirkhope flat out lied the day before Banjo was revealed.
Nintendo themselves denied the Switch lite just a year ago.
They also lied about the DS lite a day before its announcement.
So please pardon my reluctance to write things off.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Personally, I think that interview tidbit doesn't look good for Doom Slayer's chances... but until we get a definitive "Doom Slayer is not coming to Smash" statement from either party, I'm not completely counting him out just yet.

Same goes for any other possible character. Crash, Master Chief, Sora, Dante, Assist Trophy and Spirit promotions... I'm not gonna say they're completely off the table until Sakurai or whoever owns the character comes out and straight up says "They're not getting in".

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Kirkhope really did a ****ing number on people, huh. :ohwell:

Doom Slayer is in my sig and I think this deconfirms him.
Kirkhope did such a numbering on people that it caused them to suffer amnesia because they seem to forget the plenty of other times where developers were straight up honest about not being in Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Kirkhope did such a numbering on people that it caused them to suffer amnesia because they seem to forget the plenty of other times where developers were straight up honest about not being in Smash.
The thing is?

They lie. They also tell the truth.

So both can happen.

That means automatically assuming it can't be a lie is just bad as assuming it's a lie. Neither naturally are better assumptions.

Like, I'm leaning towards "he's telling the truth" myself, but it's not like he can't be under an NDA.

Nobody is in denial by being skeptical anyway. That's completely fair. There's precedent for NDA stuff as is. Of course, there's a very good chance it's telling the truth and a character is out. We've usually had truth-tellers anyway. Key term being "usually".

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Just on probability alone, any random character one chooses to ask about is not going to be in Smash.
Suppose for a moment that Doom Slayer IS in Smash, you know it, you are obviously under NDA, and you are asked if Doom Slayer is in Smash.
How do you respond?
This is why I take direct questions like this as a wash. It doesn't affect my perception of Doom Slayer's chances one way or the other.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It'd be helpful for times such as these that someone had compiled a list of all the times devs/VAs/whoever were honest about their characters not being in Smash, because it handily outweighs those who weren't upfront. If nothing else it would demonstrate how heavily people rely on exceptions as precedent.

Of course that probably wouldn't change much, due to the "in until proven out (with most evidence not counting)" mentality most people have.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
It'd be helpful for times such as these that someone had compiled a list of all the times devs/VAs/whoever were honest about their characters not being in Smash, because it handily outweighs those who weren't upfront. If nothing else it would demonstrate how heavily people rely on exceptions as precedent.

Of course that probably wouldn't change much, due to the "in until proven out (with most evidence not counting)" mentality most people have.
From the top of my head we have the following

Those who lied
Grant Kirkhope
Matt Mercer (he denied being in the game before Chrom was revealed)

Those who were honest
Hideo Kojima (Snake in Smash 4)
Matt Walker (DMC producer denied Dante before launch, so Dante does get in chances are talks began after he said that)

Those are the only ones I know of and can't seem to find anymore. Would make a great article for like Source Gaming or here if someone is willing to research and write that.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

I understand that, but by the same metric, the number of characters NOT IN SMASH heavily outweigh the number of characters that ARE in Smash.

Now switching to my own speculation.
Even if this is Doom Slayer's death sentence, this DOES show that the general gaming community is aware that people want Doom Slayer, which heavily increases his future chances.
Back in Smash 4 speculation days, Banjo-Kazooie was seen as impossible, but the second Phil Spencer publicly gave his approval, Banjo leaped from zero to 100 in requests and speculation.
Hell, the second I heard of Phil Spencer's approval, I voted for Banjo in the Fighter Ballot right then and there.
Whenever a Smash game is finished, it usually comes to pass that the next batch of characters includes the ones that felt "missing" from the previous entry.
And lo and behold, when Ultimate was revealed, we got Inkling, Ridley, K. Rool, Isabelle, and Chrom.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Darn it, would be a shame if Doom guy was disconfirmed.

if only we had another green-armored marine who can wield a variety of weaponry who is a huge deal in the FPS genre. If only...

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If this happened in Ultimate speculation, that's dumb, considering Robin was revealed in the very first Ultimate trailer, and Chrom is part of their Final Smash. So even if Chrom didn't make it as playable, Matt Mercer would still be involved in Ultimate.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Those who lied
Grant Kirkhope

Those who were honest
Matt Walker (DMC producer denied Dante before launch, so Dante does get in chances are talks began after he said that)

Those are the only ones I know of and can't seem to find anymore. Would make a great article for like Source Gaming or here if someone is willing to research and write that.
To give the Matt Mercer thing context, That was for Wii U/3DS where Chrom wasn't playable.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
If this happened in Ultimate speculation, that's dumb, considering Robin was revealed in the very first Ultimate trailer, and Chrom is part of their Final Smash. So even if Chrom didn't make it as playable, Matt Mercer would still be involved in Ultimate.
I think it might have been re-record news line he denied (which would of been technically true had Chrom not been in the game)

To give the Matt Mercer thing context, That was for Wii U/3DS where Chrom wasn't playable.
Granted, I only just learn about that in this very thread a page or two again, but I thought it was for Ultimate not Smash 4. If its for Smash 4 then depending on what he said like "he's not voicing anyone playable" he would be honest or if he said something like "I'm not voicing a character in Smash 4" then he would be lying there.

Last edited:

ManlyPlant

Smash Rookie
Suppose for a moment that Doom Slayer IS in Smash, you know it, you are obviously under NDA, and you are asked if Doom Slayer is in Smash.
How do you respond?
"I'd love to see it happen but not sure on if it will"

Short concise and to the point. Thing is for me their answer went really in depth and wordy, when NDA's want you to say as little as possible if you are even asked.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think it might have been re-record news line he denied (which would of been technically true had Chrom not been in the game)

Granted, I only just learn about that in this very thread a page or two again, but I thought it was for Ultimate not Smash 4. If its for Smash 4 then depending on what he said like "he's not voicing anyone playable" he would be honest or if he said something like "I'm not voicing a character in Smash 4" then he would be lying there.
It was a Q&A

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/69380312

Post #14

He was just asked if he did voice work for Chrom in Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Those who lied
Grant Kirkhope

Those who were honest

Suda strongly implied Travis wasn't in
Frank O'Connor said Master Chief wasn't in
Kiryu was deconfirmed by his devs (don't know their names)
Cristina Vee (Shantae/once Edelgard VA) said she wasn't recording for Smash
Someone at Mojang (forget who) strongly hinted Steve wasn't in Smash iirc
Ono said we aren't going to be getting Blanka (though idk if this should really count, obv we aren't getting Blanka)
and according to Ben, someone also said as much about Crash, though I'm unaware of this one

Those are the ones I remember.

Now most of those could be outdated, as most were all from theoretically before the second pass could've been selected, but it's not like any of those characters showed up in the first pass.

Don't have any links though, sorry.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Well he is still in the liar zone, admittedly for a completely different context then I thought he was in for.
I'd argue it depends on the contract. Chrom wasn't playable. It's not a stretch, though, to say that Characters with playable status would have far stricter NDAs than those that aren't playable.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Ono said we aren't going to be getting Blanka (though idk if this should really count, obv we aren't getting Blanka)
and according to Ben, someone also said as much about Crash, though I'm unaware of this one

Now most of those could be outdated, as most were all from theoretically before the second pass could've been selected, but it's not like any of those characters showed up in the first pass.

Oh yeah I remember some of them like Steve, I think it was full on denied in fact.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

They didn't say Crash wasn't in. They said that they'd love to see Crash in Smash, but they have no idea if he is or not.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I know the Steve and Master Chief ones were from before Pass 2 was decided, as I think it was decided sometime around E3 (at least according to Imran Khan). A few other Mojang members have expressed wanting/liking the idea of Steve in Smash, but they’re not in the position of Jens or Agnes so I don’t think they would know if he’s in or not; they didn’t deny he was.

The Mojang member who pretty much said Steve isn’t in was Aubrey, a community manager, and said this in early 2019, so I’m sure that’s outdated. I forgot when the Master Chief one was, but I think it was also before E3 last year.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Got a link?
Sure. When I find it, I'll edit into this post.
Edit: Well, after looking for it, I can't find it.
I remember people posting the clip to YouTube, but if you're masochistic enough to look for it, it was a Twitch Stream on Activision's official channel just before the reveal of the Spyro Reignited Trilogy.
It wasn't anyone too high up, but it WAS Activision. They were answering random questions in the chat.
But the jist was:
"Can Crash be in Smash Bros.?"
"I think that'd be dope, but that's way out of my control."​

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Steve one was meaningless. It was a community Manager, who wouldn't be honestly privy to that information. Only the far higher ups could be. She's also known for her hate boner against Steve, while many of the employees there vastly disagreed. So there's a reasonable chance she just pretended she knew something due to silly hatred. It's more likely bias on her part, not real information.

Of course, Steve wasn't in the first pass anyway, but the chances of her knowing is slim. To put it bluntly, Grant would have actual knowledge because he was hired for the product. She wouldn't because she wouldn't be involved in negotiations anyway. Grant saying no, and it not showing up, would be meaningless since he isn't necessarily going to be hired or told anything about plans that fell through.

It's the specific employee that would know, not just "works for it", which why would they be privy to that kind of information? And if they knew, they'd be under NDA unless it's a leak. And if it's a leak, there's a good chance they wouldn't be kept in the company anyway for that reason alone. So unless they're a real higher up, you know, ones who can help negotiate, what they say is either going to be a leak they shouldn't be, or probably know nothing.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
If anything it should be probable that February and MArch are the two months on the Speculation Community's crosshairs now.
Feb is the best bet, there was a general direct in Feb last year. There's still a lot we don't know about with Nintendo's first party line up, like they got 3 unreleased games we know have a 2020 date and 2 of them are set to release by the end of March with the last one rumor to release the end of May. So we need some new first party game reveals ASAP.

Though admitedly I am in the camp that we won't know who Fighter 6 until E3, so I don't know if a Smash reveal is gonna happen there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom