• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
If Ragna gets in me and Kunio fans would be that one meme where the 2 burly dudes shake their hands, putting their differences aside to both hate Ragna
Has he suffered enough hatred from from his game already? I know if Ragna got in I'd be hyped. What can I say? The thought of the Bloodedge getting into Smash has grown on me.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, third party Spirits make me think that Sakurai and the team consider Spirits to be part of the celebration.

While we're looking more at characters and costumes, Sakurai and co. are nabbing up characters for Spirits. It certainly makes me reconsider "Spirits Disconfirm" being out the window.

Maybe, to Sakurai and team, being a Spirit is tantamount to being playable in terms of representation.
I don't think they see it as being tantamount to playability, but I do think Sakurai cares greatly about every aspect of the game, while the diehard crowd mostly tends to go for the only things relevant in VS/online: characters, mechanics, music, etc.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I still believe base game content doesn't affect anything anymore, since these characters weren't planned to be in Smash at all. Originally it was just Volume 1, that would've been the end. (Oh god, Byleth then...).

However, post launch content is something much more worrying. It's possible that Spirits are being used as a "sorry, I failed to negotiate for them" button. Which would be pretty bad news.

I can understand why people would believe that Spirits are permanently out, but it just has that feeling of being either based on Byleth, who was planned from day 1 (of DLC, I'd be very surprised if protagonist from Fire Emblem NX made the original cut for the roster but at the same time very unsurprised) and people's emotional reactions to them, or simply assuming more of the same.

But if Spirits are out, and fully out, then are they going to do 6 third party characters, with what seems to be a budget that's not very viable? Somehow I doubt that. Every relevant first party character is in as at least a Spirit, if not an Assist, Cameo or Boss Fight. I dunno, it just doesn't seem very financially viable to attempt to do this, with how profits are going everywhere...

Unless, the pass was as unrealistically fan hype as possible. Like, 6 characters with worldwide, global appeal that get people talking. And, I dunno if there are enough third party characters, purely relating to video games, that could pull that off. Maybe 3 or 4, but at some point you're gonna have to get regional. And those won't be big sellers.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
He could still go back and decide to make one from basegame playable. The playable roster is usually seen as the coolest thing, and Sakurai likely knows just how much people want their favorite characters as playable fighters.

maybe a certain one he’s expressed wanting as playable himself, referring to the costume as at least something
At the same time there's literally way too many potential characters to add to Smash, we already have ****ing 80, which is FAR from the norm for fighting games where the movesets aren't mostly copypasted like the DBZ arena games, it's a harsh reality but some characters just won't end up making it in

Droodle

Smash Lord
I still believe base game content doesn't affect anything anymore, since these characters weren't planned to be in Smash at all. Originally it was just Volume 1, that would've been the end. (Oh god, Byleth then...).

However, post launch content is something much more worrying. It's possible that Spirits are being used as a "sorry, I failed to negotiate for them" button. Which would be pretty bad news.

I can understand why people would believe that Spirits are permanently out, but it just has that feeling of being either based on Byleth, who was planned from day 1 (of DLC, I'd be very surprised if protagonist from Fire Emblem NX made the original cut for the roster but at the same time very unsurprised) and people's emotional reactions to them, or simply assuming more of the same.

But if Spirits are out, and fully out, then are they going to do 6 third party characters, with what seems to be a budget that's not very viable? Somehow I doubt that. Every relevant first party character is in as at least a Spirit, if not an Assist, Cameo or Boss Fight. I dunno, it just doesn't seem very financially viable to attempt to do this, with how profits are going everywhere...

Unless, the pass was as unrealistically fan hype as possible. Like, 6 characters with worldwide, global appeal that get people talking. And, I dunno if there are enough third party characters, purely relating to video games, that could pull that off. Maybe 3 or 4, but at some point you're gonna have to get regional. And those won't be big sellers.
AHEM

RING FIT ADVENTURER is not a spirit.

She's in!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Has he suffered enough hatred from from his game already? I know if Ragna got in I'd be hyped. What can I say the thought of the Bloodedge getting into Smash has grown on me.
I think you misunderstand me, me dislike of Ragna wouldn't be bexause of his game, but rather that if he gets in before Sol, I'm gonna whine like a petty little ***** cause I VASTLY prefer GG over BB

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Some people genuinely make big dumb mistakes like this. Unless he’s a master at acting, it’s certainly easier to believe, because his performance would’ve been like if time machines were real. That’s how good it would’ve been. He could’ve lucked out, but I’m not sure.

Regardless, I don’t think people should be giving him crap or harassing him over videogames anyway.
I agree. I¨m just so disappointed by him no matter if he is telling the truth or not

GuiltyGyarados

Banned via Administration
What's the over/under on a BotW2 rep? We know next to nothing about that game, let alone a release date, but maybe Sakurai was given some character sketches or something. I'd be absolutely delighted to get another Zelda rep. That's one franchise that deserves to have more than FE.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

This is a smart man, people should listen more to the likes of you.
What's the over/under on a BotW2 rep? We know next to nothing about that game, let alone a release date, but maybe Sakurai was given some character sketches or something. I'd be absolutely delighted to get another Zelda rep. That's one franchise that deserves to have more than FE.
There's a possibility for young Impa? I mean, it's set after BotW and Impa's sister Purah was working on a anti aging rune in the original game. It worked a bit too well, and she ended up looking like a kid as a result. It could theoretically make young Impa possible. I wouldn't count on BotW Zelda or Zombie Ganondorf, and the Champions are gone for good as well.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I think you misunderstand me, me dislike of Ragna wouldn't be bexause of his game, but rather that if he gets in before Sol, I'm gonna whine like a petty little ***** cause I VASTLY prefer GG over BB
I gotcha, like if Dante got in before my Capcom pick, nothing but love to his supporters, but I'd be caught up in my feelings.
Really the only FE character I want is Lyn, been wanting her since Brawl. That can of worms aside, it'd be great if Fi, Tetra, or even Linkle were consider as the next character.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
After seeing that one dumbass on twitter making a thread filled with lies on why Smash fans are justified to ***** about FE all the time, he took the suggestion to add an Ice Climber and you will like it!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
R.I.P in peace River City Ransom. I know at least DarthEnderX DarthEnderX was looking forward to them since he's a huge retro fan. Someone from a classic beat' em up would have been kind of cool. Not a genre we usually see, but could fit like a glove in these titles.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
At the same time there's literally way too many potential characters to add to Smash, we already have ****ing 80, which is FAR from the norm for fighting games where the movesets aren't mostly copypasted like the DBZ arena games, it's a harsh reality but some characters just won't end up making it in
Of course, I just think it’s possible he decides to make a character playable without caring if he’s made them a spirit in the past (except spirits in events during the latter half of last year/the ones this year, those characters and Tetriminos are staying dead unless he made some weird decision).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well, ignoring the fact that I think "I want a character for the sake of underrepresentation (and not because I like said character) to the point I'm willing to ask for a hypothetical character from a game we barely know anything about" is a bad way to go about asking for characters, a BotW 2 rep seems highly unlikely considering the ONLY characters we know that are in are the typical triforce trio but in BotW2's style.

If we get an endearing partner character along the likes of Midna/Fi or a charismatic villain like Zant/Ghirahim, then possibly they'll be taken under consideration, but if the game retains its typical "open world, mess around for 80 hours before you get bored and go to the final boss" type gameplay from BotW1, don't expect anyone like that to even exist to begin with.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
R.I.P in peace River City Ransom. I know at least DarthEnderX DarthEnderX was looking forward to them since he's a huge retro fan. Someone from a classic beat' em up would have been kind of cool. Not a genre we usually see, but could fit like a glove in these titles.
How many must we lose on our journey towards the zenith?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Is it being out of touch? Dude has an artistic vision that isn't bound to the fans. I don't see anything necessarily wrong with it.
I think that believing that a bunch of PNGs significantly enhances the game's status as the great gaming crossover is very, very mistaken. It's his vision, sure, but that doesn't mean he isn't wrong in how he's executing it.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
The problem I have with saying "let FE fans be happy" is that they've already been happy seven times before this.

Imagine if you woke up on Christmas after a whole year of being a good boy, only to get a single present. Your brother, on the other hand, gets EIGHT presents, despite being arguably less well-behaved than you were.

Sure, you can be grateful for your one present, but is it really unjustified for you to NOT feel happy for your brother in this position?
That's a good point. However, my view on this subject is this: The gift has been given. There's no reason to keep harping on it.

There's no changing that and no amount of whining or begging to the parents, who made that choice, is going to make a difference.

I'm just tired of the merry-go-round everyone seems to be stuck on.

How many essays do we need to see of "I don't like Byleth, here is why!" Or dumb Fan theories as to how Byleth was swapped with another fighter with no evidence to prove this or general salt about FE.

I keep seeing pages and pages of the people saying the same things over and over.

Which was no different than before but at least with the speculation part, I find myself seeing characters from other fantasy packs that I think would be cool.

Just accept that Byleth is in, buy/play them or don't, and move on with it.

GuiltyGyarados

After seeing that one dumbass on twitter making a thread filled with lies on why Smash fans are justified to ***** about FE all the time, he took the suggestion to add an Ice Climber and you will like it!
If that led to an actual new Ice Climber game, I would be unironically down for that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, ignoring the fact that I think "I want a character for the sake of underrepresentation and not because you like said character to the point I'm willing to ask for a hypothetical character from a game we barely know anything about" is a bad way to go about asking for characters, a BotW 2 rep seems highly unlikely considering the ONLY characters we know that are in are the typical triforce trio but in BotW2's style.

If we get an endearing partner character along the likes of Midna/Fi or a charismatic villain like Zant/Ghirahim, then possibly they'll be taken under consideration, but if the game retains its typical "open world, mess around for 80 hours before you get bored and go to the final boss" type gameplay from BotW1, don't expect anyone like that to even exist to begin with.
I don't think BotW2 will be that. I mean, each Zelda is basically build off from criticism of the previous game. Or at least since Twilight Princess. I don't think BotW2 will be all that much like BotW except for the engine.

Also there's still a possibility for Impa to have a major role.

GuiltyGyarados

Well, ignoring the fact that I think "I want a character for the sake of underrepresentation (and not because I like said character) to the point I'm willing to ask for a hypothetical character from a game we barely know anything about" is a bad way to go about asking for characters
Hasn't stopped FE!

a BotW 2 rep seems highly unlikely considering the ONLY characters we know that are in are the typical triforce trio but in BotW2's style.
All the more reason to think it might happen, because that has to be a commonly expressed concern about our current Zelda representation right now, and the Byleth trailer has made it clear that they do hear fan complaints (even if they do nothing about them).

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Mechanically, which genre's would you like to see crossover with Smash next? I'll gladly shill for more fighting game and platformer characters, but I'm curious as to how a puzzle game character could bring their mechanics into Smash, hopefully without feeling awkward. I think Hero, Pokemon Trainer and Robin do the whole RPG thing pretty well. We do have Dr. Mario, but he's obviously an off-shoot of an existing character.

And that's not even getting into character/franchise specific stuff either.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
We don't know a single thing about BOTW2 yet, so its virtually impossible to say if we will get a character at this moment.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's a little ironic to be chastised for not knowing the exact character before supporting them when after the fact, people are generally expected to embrace every addition lest they get roasted. On here at least.

Blind support is already a very active part of the process.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
R.I.P in peace River City Ransom. I know at least DarthEnderX was looking forward to them since he's a huge retro fan. Someone from a classic beat' em up would have been kind of cool. Not a genre we usually see, but could fit like a glove in these titles.
We don’t really have a beat em up rep, do we?
*sigh*

Ok, time to get the list out:

[x]Kunio-Kun
[*]River City Girls
[*]Double Dragon
[_]Castle Crashers
[*]Final Fight
[*]Streets of Rage
[*]Golden Axe
[_]Battletoads

Most likely none from Capcom, since they got bigger protagonists to choose from, or SEGA since they already went for Joker. Shame since SoR4 is coming this year.

Does Viewtiful Joe count as beat em up? Cause it kinda felt like one, but I haven’t played it in years.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hasn't stopped FE!

All the more reason to think it might happen, because that has to be a commonly expressed concern about our current Zelda representation right now, and the Byleth trailer has made it clear that they do hear fan complaints (even if they do nothing about them).
It hasn't stopped FE because it hasn't happened.

Even Corrin, while coming out before his game even released in the Americas, still existed. He was in the first trailer they ever showed off of the game.
Same with Greninja who actually did just make a moveset purely based off of concept art. The game had already released so people knew what a "Greninja" was.

Including a character from BotW2 meanwhile would basically be Sakurai going "Here's this character you don't know about yet. He doesn't exist yet, but he will in BotW2!" which I don't find Sakurai doing. Until we see any progress updates on BotW2, which may or may not be a long while, I find the chances of a BotW2 character slim to none.

I don't think BotW2 will be that. I mean, each Zelda is basically build off from criticism of the previous game. Or at least since Twilight Princess. I don't think BotW2 will be all that much like BotW except for the engine.

Also there's still a possibility for Impa to have a major role.
Hm, maybe. We know nothing about the game and with the amount of time they have, they really could do anything with it.

I doubt it'd be Impa in particular though since BotW Impa is an extraordinarily old woman who can't do anything beyond spout exposition from a chair and tease her grand-daughter.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mechanically, which genre's would you like to see crossover with Smash next? I'll gladly shill for more fighting game and platformer characters, but I'm curious as to how a puzzle game character could bring their mechanics into Smash, hopefully without feeling awkward. I think Hero, Pokemon Trainer and Robin do the whole RPG thing pretty well. We do have Dr. Mario, but he's obviously an off-shoot of an existing character.

I wouldn't mind another stance fighter akin to Pokmeon Trainer, but it should be the same character with a new fighting style.

The only two I can think of that works well for that is Nightmare(Soul Calibur), and the 3rd moveset of Brian(Quest 64).

The first one focuses more on how his weapon works. He'll focus on a different stance that is more about using his fists and kicks, but still have sword moves. The other would be long range with swords.

Brian's is basically cycling among the 4 elements, with similar animations, but very different status effects/abilities. You could think of it akin to having stuff like Lip's Stick, Metal Box, Rambling Flower, etc. go off when it comes to status effects. None of them are exact examples, but that's just a small part of it. I like the idea of RPG characters having an experience system, and only Lucario kind of has that in some way. We have a cool MP system with Hero(the second idea I had for Brian, but I won't deny that Hero did it better due to have a coherent amount of MP used. When using 1, 2, 3 MP? You can't balance it very well. It's too easy to have tons of magic, or you never have enough). So in a sense, you could say I combined Pokemon Trainer and Lucario into one unique package.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

First Person Shooter, BAY-BEE.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of DOOM, so I'd love to see Doom Slayer/Guy come in with all his rage and fury intact.

Otherwise, Tracer, Heavy, Master Chief, I'm not... very interested in them, but I'd be all right with them nonetheless.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I wouldn't mind another stance fighter akin to Pokmeon Trainer, but it should be the same character with a new fighting style.

The only two I can think of that works well for that is Nightmare(Soul Calibur), and the 3rd moveset of Brian(Quest 64).

The first one focuses more on how his weapon works. He'll focus on a different stance that is more about using his fists and kicks, but still have sword moves. The other would be long range with swords.

Brian's is basically cycling among the 4 elements, with similar animations, but very different status effects/abilities. You could think of it akin to having stuff like Lip's Stick, Metal Box, Rambling Flower, etc. go off when it comes to status effects. None of them are exact examples, but that's just a small part of it. I like the idea of RPG characters having an experience system, and only Lucario kind of has that in some way. We have a cool MP system with Hero(the second idea I had for Brian, but I won't deny that Hero did it better due to have a coherent amount of MP used. When using 1, 2, 3 MP? You can't balance it very well. It's too easy to have tons of magic, or you never have enough). So in a sense, you could say I combined Pokemon Trainer and Lucario into one unique package.
Dante can also work as a stance character with his styles

Krankees

Smash Ace

Visual Novel since having a genre not represented yet is one of Phoenix's advantages over most characters.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Hey, that MandyCan person’s twitter is still viewable on mobile, and all of his tweets/the replies, though it says they have 0 followers despite also saying two people I’m following follow them...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Whatever genre Ninja Gaiden is.
Well, he'd be another of those hype platformer characters I mentioned I really like to root for. Though I do expect he'd have some influence from the hack-n-slash 3D games as well.

Hayabusa seems like the type of character to have two costumes like Bayo at that. As much as I wanted Garou Terry, his original design is super iconic. While Ryu Hayabusa's two designs are both really recognizable. DOA still uses the Old-School one, so we got an idea of how it'd look in Smash already.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I'm rooting for both you Ammy and Phoenix fans. Despite me more so wanting a 2nd Mega Man or Dante more.

Phoenix espeically, since I have family members who really like his series.
Thanks, here's hoping Sakurai picks two Capcom characters for the pass. Hey I mean crazier things have happened. As for Ammy all I can do is hope. The only relevance for her lately was Kamiya's announcement to want to make Okami 2, and some new merchandise for Okami
Now I just need to decide which arm or leg I should cut off to get this statue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom