• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
You know, if Smash were made by a Western dev and thus had mostly characters from Western devs, would we be complaining about too many western animation styled and/or “realistic” characters?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I have friends of mine on this very site, and elsewhere, that expect Spirit upgrades.

To be honest, and I’m saying this not as a Jonesposter, but just as a human being: It makes more sense to expect more of the same as opposed to a drastically different outcome, and that drastically different outcome should be seen as a possibility more than a probability.

I realize folks want upgrades, and I can understand that. When your most wanted is on the cusp of playability, that desire to inch them “over the finish line”, or what have you, can just totally invigorate that desire. I totally get that.

However, I don’t necessarily know that it’s realistic to expect a Season 2 that is full of them, or even full/majority of 1st parties when that hasn’t happened in the past.

It’s better to hope for the change and be cautiously optimistic rather than going in, guns blazing, fully expecting it. Those are two different things entirely. At least in the context of Smash speculation, I mean.

It’s speculation, so it’s fun to talk about it. I just think expectations can skyrocket and lead to disappointment. It happens every single time with this game.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Do you think a Indie character might be a fighter with how Nintendo is doing with Indie Games? If so, who do you think might get it? We got Six more chances to wait
Screenshot_20200116-095657_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20200116-095632_YouTube.jpg
dkfx-xwvsaaqfahjpg.jpeg

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I have friends of mine on this very site, and elsewhere, that expect Spirit upgrades.

To be honest, and I’m saying this not as a Jonesposter, but just as a human being: It makes more sense to expect more of the same as opposed to a drastically different outcome, and that drastically different outcome should be seen as a possibility more than a probability.

I realize folks want upgrades, and I can understand that. When your most wanted is on the cusp of playability, that desire to inch them “over the finish line”, or what have you, can just totally invigorate that desire. I totally get that.

However, I don’t necessarily know that it’s realistic to expect a Season 2 that is full of them, or even full/majority of 1st parties when that hasn’t happened in the past.

It’s better to hope for the change and be cautiously optimistic rather than going in, guns blazing, fully expecting it. Those are two different things entirely. At least in the context of Smash speculation, I mean.

It’s speculation, so it’s fun to talk about it. I just think expectations can skyrocket and lead to disappointment. It happens every single time with this game.
This IS a Jonespost though as it's related to Resident Evil, also known as Biohazard in Japan

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
As disappointed as I was with Byleth’s reveal, it’s nowhere near as bad as I had it with Corrin’s reveal.

At least here I’m meh on the character, but am enjoying the reactions and fanart (from both sides).

But with Corrin.... man I wanted that **** erased from the game and existence.

I really hope they reveal another character this month, if it’s at least a challenger approaching silhouette.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to set my expectations low and assume that one of the character slots will be taken up by an 8th gen Pokémon. That leaves us with 5 potential unique game series represented.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It would, if you didn't notice differences among a fighting game's DLC seasons.
I’ve already pointed out that Wii U had only 1 first party newcomer, and that Ultimate now also has 1 first party newcomer, and both were protagonists from their respective games, which were new titles at their respective times, and they’re both from the same series.

All other picks have been from 3rd party series, were main protagonists or mascots of their respective games...

Other fighting games aren’t mascot fighters. Those other fighting games are either adding missing characters, or entirely new fighters. Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat fit that sort of description better than Smash would.

I just don’t quite get how folks are so bent on the upgrades being a sure thing. That’s totally different than hoping for it, which I’d see as more reasonable.

If it happens, great! More folks get their characters they’ve been waiting for. I don’t really care much if I’m wrong. I just don’t see why folks actively expect it. If I saw reason to, I’d be right there with you if I’m being honest.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Why is it everyone calls me overdramatic when what I described is actually what's happening? Do people here actually look at sites that aren't Smashboards?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I just don’t quite get how folks are so bent on the upgrades being a sure thing.
I mean, you're bent on all DLC fighters appealing to your own bubble rather than the Smash bubble. How is that any different?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Why is it everyone calls me overdramatic when what I described is actually what's happening? Do people here actually look at sites that aren't Smashboards?
Yeah. They said they weren't going to buy Ultimate after the outrage of Grinch being fake. They whined about Terry getting in after Banjo despite saying they'd never complain again. Waluigi got an opinion piece for a newspaper. This is the same **** as previously seen

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
How would you feel if, without revealing this, Sakurai added an echo fighter which could only be received through some piece of accessory to a game, like a Raichu character if you connected a Poke Ball Plus, or something similar?

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Because people will just forget even if they are massively disapointed?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, the supposed "rules" fans made for Smash DLC that are broken
2251bb05b03c1e70cc7f460c0ad992c7.jpg

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm going to set my expectations low and assume that one of the character slots will be taken up by an 8th gen Pokémon. That leaves us with 5 potential unique game series represented.
Why add spirits from Swoshi this late in the game if they're also planning to include a character from it?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Prettty much what I feel like after all the anti-Byleth stuff is starting to chill:
#NevergonnahappenbutgibmePaleMoonforSmash
Hope: A dragon that uses its demonic powers to entertain children with wholesome performances.
Probable Reality: A demonic dragon that lures children away with candy, and then kills them.

You know, if Smash were made by a Western dev and thus had mostly characters from Western devs, would we be complaining about too many western animation styled and/or “realistic” characters?
Probably.

Do you think a Indie character might be a fighter with how Nintendo is doing with Indie Games? If so, who do you think might get it? We got Six more chances to wait
Not really, but if it is it would definitely be Quote. He's the only one with an impact on gaming history, and the other indie characters are either on par with or a bit more low key than things like Undertale and Cuphead.

As far as costumes go, we could see some of the more notable indie titles like A Hat in Time. We may be able to see something from Crypt of the Necrodancer due to it's positive relations with Nintendo, though I wouldn't bet on an Ori and the Blind Forest costume for the inverse reason.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Only one Fire Emblem character has gotten cut and he was brought back as paid DLC in the next game. There's no historical precedence to affirm that several FE characters would have gotten cut if everyone is here hadn't been a thing.
Yeah, but Smash 4 was only supposed to have 3 FE characters before Lucina's upgrade and DLC. If characters had to be cut, the two Marth clones make the most sense for first picks to be cut.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Why add spirits from Swoshi this late in the game if they're also planning to include a character from it?
To be fair one could argue that the new regions and content are unrepresented but st the same time, that presentation was recorded in November, meaning DLC was locked in by that point and Sakurai would have known about the SwoShi DLC so he wouldn't have put the Spirits in there to begin with

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Speaking of rules, there are only two rules in Smash that should be obvious for new inclusions.

1. Character must originate from a Video game. That's pretty much a given and been there since the beginning.

2. Any rules that fans themselves have made for Smash are made to be broken at some point during the game's life cycle.

And yes, I added #2 because a lot of fan rules have been broken between SSB4 and Ultimate yet people keep trying to put more in.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, you're bent on all DLC fighters appealing to your own bubble rather than the Smash bubble. How is that any different?
I’m bent on figuring out who is going to be in the fighter pass based on precedent, stuff we’ve seen in the past, and general fan want.

Not really getting the labeling, as I literally said that folks I’m friends with, or people in my “bubble” want different things. Do I think Dante and 2B would be great? Yes. Do I think Rex would be great? Yes, I just don’t expect him as much because I don’t expect upgrades (though to be fair, I feel he’s a prime candidate for it).

I don’t think Dante is likely just because I want Dante. I think he’s relatively likely for a few reasons, and it’s not just because of “Resident Evil” bull****.

There’s a major difference in wanting something, and expecting something to happen just because you want it. I’ve learned that over the years, and Resident Evil, despite the fact that it did have quite a bit going for it, was a major want of mine. Interestingly enough, many, many people more or less felt that staindgrey staindgrey and myself were onto something, because the shock of that spirit reveal was massive.

Until I’m given reason to expect spirit upgrades, I will stand by the idea that it’s nothing more than wishful thinking, and people have all the right to hope for them.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Yeah, but Smash 4 was only supposed to have 3 FE characters before Lucina's upgrade and DLC. If characters had to be cut, the two Marth clones make the most sense for first picks to be cut.
Smash 4 was "supposed" to have 3, but then Fire Emblem became a victim of circumstance and ended up with 6. I fail to see how this supports the notion of several FE characters being cut.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It's possible that it might not be from SWSH, we could get a Pokemon DLC fighter from a new Pokemon game releasing next year. The DLC is gonna last until December 2021 so the possibility for this very much exists.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Yeah. They said they weren't going to buy Ultimate after the outrage of Grinch being fake. They whined about Terry getting in after Banjo despite saying they'd never complain again. Waluigi got an opinion piece for a newspaper. This is the same **** as previously seen
The backlash against Byleth is completely above and beyond any of that, though.

D

Deleted member

Hope: A dragon that uses its demonic powers to entertain children with wholesome performances.
Probable Reality: A demonic dragon that lures children away with candy, and then eats then
Technically speaking neither one is wrong, but Hope is more correct here. Just...we don’t speak of the children eating thing...

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
How would you guys react if we got extra stages in between major characters updates that represent games that don't have actual characters playable in game?

Like take the same treatment that the DLC fighters have and put background cameos from those games, for example:

A scuttle town stage where the Shantae cast is hanging out in the background with low poly models watching the battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom