• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
SoV got jack****. quit your fearmongering.
I'm still sad over this.

I feel like Alm would have made a great Roy echo or Celica a good Robin echo.

Instead we got Chrom and my favorite game in the series was left to die.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think this rules out Waluigi-

Thoughts?
It hurts him, but I wouldn't say it rules him out. There's still a lot of Mario stuff that's not in that could be put in the pass. There are plenty of Mario Kart tracks that would make for good stages (including Waluigi Pinball and Stadium), and given the sheer volume of the Mario series I'm sure you could scrounge up a spirit board with whatever's not in yet (iirc there are a few notable enemies like Cheep Cheep without spirits, and if that isn't enough you can fill it with bosses from Oddessy and Galaxy or whatever).
How would you guys react if we got extra stages in between major characters updates that represent games that don't have actual characters playable in game?

Like take the same treatment that the DLC fighters have and put background cameos from those games, for example:

A scuttle town stage where the Shantae cast is hanging out in the background with low poly models watching the battle.
I'd like that. Scribblenauts and Undertale are never getting characters, but a stage is much more reasonable and would still capture the essence of those series. Plus we'd get more music, which is a plus (especially if it was Undertale).

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
PapaGenos will likely leave the speculation scene and the Smash community after this. I can't see him being a fan of this game anymore considering his reaction.
So, I don't follow PapaGenos or any other leakers/personalities, but if this is legitimate then that's the most childish thing I've ever heard.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm still sad over this.

I feel like Alm would have made a great Roy echo or Celica a good Robin echo.

Instead we got Chrom and my favorite game in the series was left to die.
Celica really wouldn't have fit as a Robin echo. She's always shown as a fairly fast character with nimble rapier-like swordplay and freehand magic that doesn't use a tome. She'd have to be unique.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
PapaGenos will likely leave the speculation scene and the Smash community after this. I can't see him being a fan of this game anymore considering his reaction. Vinny obviously tried very hard to stay optimistic for the next six characters even though he clearly wants nothing to do with Smash anymore, and Max isn't even a Smashtuber.
As for them caring about Rex, of course none of them do. I wasn't talking about them in that post.
Papagenos definitely behaved like a child, but I don't see him ragequitting Smash speculation solely because he didn't like this character. I'd be weird for him to give up his successful YouTube channel themed around Smash because he felt that wronged by Byleth.

Likewise, Vinny is barely in Smash speculation. The most he does is "I think this character would be cool because I like them" and reactions to character reveals. Plus, Smash Ultimate recently broke Tomodachi Life for his longest running series. It's clear he loves Smash Ultimate and I don't think he's going to give it up because he fell for a jape with Dante and he was mildly upset by Byleth. He literally says at one point to chat "everything will be fine, there's still 6 characters left". He was also on about 4 hours of sleep because he has the ultimate Jabroni sleep schedule, so it's understandable that he was a little short about the whole thing.

Max actually had a very well-balanced reaction. It's clear he was a little disappointed and definitely took the piss of the whole thing ("Thrakia" is my favourite game:4pacman:), but he definitely had an open-mind about the whole thing. He even had a few moments where he went, "Oh, that's actually pretty neat", so he clearly has some interest left in Smash.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
How many dislikes did Corrin and Bayo's trailers get? How many dislikes did the Kencineroar trailer get?
Smash Ultimate has sold around 16 million copies as of last November. Right now, the Byleth trailer has 2.4 million views, 124k likes and 67k dislikes. A bunch of disappointed fans being mad about Fire Emblem does not represent the entire consumer base by any means.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Oh yes, Robin brought in magic, Corrin brought in Manakete/shapeshifter representation, and Byleth brought the rest of the weapon triangle, but we are not done with FE yet as we still need cavalier and flier representation. :troll:
Don't forget armour and hidden weapons and guantlets

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
SoV unfortunately ended up being a flop but thankfully we had Chrom ready to step up to the plate.
It wasn't a flop at all. It was a 3DS remake of an old game that released in a post-Switch world. They outright said they were happy with the sales, and most estimates put it at about 700-800k. That's far from a flop given the context.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Dude, he was clearly laughing out of sheer disbelief. His first words when seeing Byleth were "Oh no". If he actually liked what he was watching he would have watched to the end instead of tuning out halfway through.
He said " Oh no" because he knew how people would react. He literally titled the video "The Funniest Nintendo Reveal Ever" and then said in his description "I needed that". He also likes Three Houses.

Seems to me you're twisting things to fit your view.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It wasn't a flop at all. It was a 3DS remake of an old game that released in a post-Switch world. They outright said they were happy with the sales, and most estimates put it at about 700-800k. That's far from a flop given the context.
Ok but it didn't sell 5 million therefore it's objectively a flop regardless of making back it's money and then some despite being released post Switch

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Celica really wouldn't have fit as a Robin echo. She's always shown as a fairly fast character with nimble rapier-like swordplay and freehand magic that doesn't use a tome. She'd have to be unique.
Then make her another Marth, there's already a precedent for it as that's what she was in Fire Emblem Warriors, a clone of Marth.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
At most, I could see her as a:ultwolf:/:ultlucas: type character.

Then make her another Marth, there's already a precedent for it as that's what she was in Fire Emblem Warriors, a clone of Marth.
Didn't Fire Emblem fans hate that?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Tbf there's a reason people call 3H Flier Emblem, bring in Timeskip Hilda as FP6 baybeeeee
Guess I'm going to start having issues when Hilda and Cyril are my only mounted units. lol

Then again it's normal mode so...

They really wouldn't have. Alm, ok, maybe, but Celica's fighting style is too finesse and her cost of magic isn't durability but rather her own HP
A good Ken style echo. More sword range but no Levin Sword, and her special moves hurt her instead of going away after a while.

Don't forget armour and hidden weapons and guantlets
Oh! And mechanical puppet riders! :4pacman:

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
So here's my theory:
Sakurai knew Byleth would make people mad. After all, he was well aware of the backlash Corrin got, so he planned to make Byleth have a varied move set to help with some of the rage. Keep Corrin in mind for a second.

Sakurai also realized that in order to get Byleth's presentation translated and edited in time, he would have two options: record before the holidays, or record right after everyone came back from the holidays. If he did the latter, Byleth wouldn't release until most likely late February, and the longer the wait in between characters the more disappointment people would have.

However, Sakurai realized he could kill two birds with one stone here. If he does the presentation in November, not only could he have time to prepare for Byleth and polish some things, but he could also have time to make a new trailer for the next available Nintendo Direct. So he gets in contact with Nintendo and plans for Byleth's reveal to be situated nearby the first Nintendo Direct of 2020, all so he can quell the anger of irate fans.

And the best part is: He's already done this before with Corrin. He knew as soon as Nintendo told him "Please add Corrin for Smash Bros DLC" that people would not be elated, so he planned to reveal him at the same time as he revealed Bayonetta. I think the same applies with this situation. Nintendo asked for him to include Byleth, so he knew he would have to time it properly again so people weren't as angry with his inclusion. He knew he couldn't include him in slots 1, 2, or 3 because Three Houses hadn't been released yet, and if he released him in slot 4, very few people would be excited for fighter 5 since it would be Terry Bogard instead. The releases planned themselves.

TL;DR, Sakurai knew Byleth would make people angry, so he's planned Byleth's release around the first Nintendo Direct of 2020. Fighter 6 will be revealed there, it will be a fan favorite inclusion, and it will all be to restore faith for fighter pass 2. However, I don't think fighter 6 will release until later, much akin to Joker.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
So here's my theory:
Sakurai knew Byleth would make people mad. After all, he was well aware of the backlash Corrin got, so he planned to make Byleth have a varied move set to help with some of the rage. Keep Corrin in mind for a second.

Sakurai also realized that in order to get Byleth's presentation translated and edited in time, he would have two options: record before the holidays, or record right after everyone came back from the holidays. If he did the latter, Byleth wouldn't release until most likely late February, and the longer the wait in between characters the more disappointment people would have.

However, Sakurai realized he could kill two birds with one stone here. If he does the presentation in November, not only could he have time to prepare for Byleth and polish some things, but he could also have time to make a new trailer for the next available Nintendo Direct. So he gets in contact with Nintendo and plans for Byleth's reveal to be situated nearby the first Nintendo Direct of 2020, all so he can quell the anger of irate fans.

And the best part is: He's already done this before with Corrin. He knew as soon as Nintendo told him "Please add Corrin for Smash Bros DLC" that people would not be elated, so he planned to reveal him at the same time as he revealed Bayonetta. I think the same applies with this situation. Nintendo asked for him to include Byleth, so he knew he would have to time it properly again so people weren't as angry with his inclusion. He knew he couldn't include him in slots 1, 2, or 3 because Three Houses hadn't been released yet, and if he released him in slot 4, very few people would be excited for fighter 5 since it would be Terry Bogard instead. The releases planned themselves.

TL;DR, Sakurai knew Byleth would make people angry, so he's planned Byleth's release around the first Nintendo Direct of 2020. Fighter 6 will be revealed there, it will be a fan favorite inclusion, and it will all be to restore faith for fighter pass 2. However, I don't think fighter 6 will release until later, much akin to Joker.
That require the second pass to have been approved before Byleth was locked in as DLC

I.D.

Smash Lord
It topped sales charts in Japan and went through 80% of its initial shipments within the first week alone. Also the NPD Group reported that SoV resulted in a considerable rise of portable sales. Nintendo flat out said that the game was a popular success as well.

Do you just type up random stuff without even spending a second to google if what you're saying is true?
Is Fire Emblem supposed to be a multimillion heavy hitter on the level of Mario or Zelda or is it not?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ok but what if we got Twilight of the Gods if Celica was in Smash? It'd be well worth the salt cause that song ****ing slaps
The rebuttal would be that we already have Mila's Divine Castanets.

Would someone do that? Just go on the internet and fail to do basic research?
It's better to use Murphy's Law: If you don't know something, say something incorrect, and someone will give you the truth.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
So, I don't follow PapaGenos or any other leakers/personalities, but if this is legitimate then that's the most childish thing I've ever heard.
Well in Papa's defense: He did admit that he was unnecessarily salty and will give the character a more level headed approach after finishing venting.
Still an absolutely embarrassing reaction. I wonder why he even bothered uploading this.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So here's my theory:

Correction: Nintendo didn't tell Sakurai to make Corrin playable, it was a request from the development team after they decided to add a character from a recent release.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
i wanted celica too but after seeing people pissing and ****ting themselves over byleth maybe its for the best that they didn't get in.
I just wish we got Alm instead of Chrom.

Chrom bugs me not because he's another FE character, but because there's 3 awakening characters in smash.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Last I saw it was more like 220k.

Got a source? I'd always thought it was a financial flop as well.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well in Papa's defense: He did admit that he was unnecessarily salty and will give the character a more level headed approach after finishing venting.
Still an absolutely embarrassing reaction. I wonder why he even bothered uploading this.
The dude makes 12 minute videos talking about short tweets, the video was still uploaded to get clicks and ad revenue
Is Fire Emblem supposed to be a multimillion heavy hitter on the level of Mario or Zelda or is it not?
Mario flopped on the 3ds so hard around that period M&L ****ing died, FE confirmed a better selling franchise than Mario because of your insight, thanks!

osby

Smash Obsessed
It is, get ready for Marth stealing Mario's spot and being Nintendo's new mascot before 2020 ends.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If we're using this logic, Fire Emblem's remake of a classic RPG late in the 3DS' life span actually outsold Mario's remake of a classic RPG late in the 3DS' life span, so that must mean there's more interest for Fire Emblem than Mario if we're evaluating singular games outside of their general context.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Last I saw it was more like 220k.

Got a source? I'd always thought it was a financial flop as well.
220k is waaaay too low, considering it made like two thirds of that in its first week in Japan alone, and their sales would've been lower than international sales due to having gotten OG Gaiden.

Don't have the exact numbers on me because it's sub-one million, but that was the number getting tossed around a while back.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
So here's my theory:

Well it clearly didn't work. Nobody ****ing cares about the second fighter pass now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom