• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
ok so

yeah i know, "leakers" but this is kinda suspicious. This guy said Byleth was FP5 back in October, that Crash is next, neither Smash nor BOTW2 would be at TGA, MK11 WOULD be at TGA, and "direct on thurs" on the 13th. some part of me feels like something's a bit off though

https://twitter.com/MandyCanNot
I don't want to have false hope, but if that isn't a strong record then I don't know what is. Still probably best to remain skeptical.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Can't wait to find out how Cuphead looks on Sans' body.
Broke: Cuphead's head on Sans's body
Woke: Sans's head on Cuphead's body
Bespoke: Sans's head on Altair from the Altair Series(TM)'s body
Masterstroke: Cuphead's head on Altair from the Altair Series(TM)'s body

...cause you can't say Assassin's Creed cause Smash is for good boys and girls. :troll:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As I said before, I won't be mad until after the last character.

If fighter #11 comes out, and all of the new games that came out on the Switch walk away without getting a new character in Smash, that's when I'll be genuinely upset. It doesn't even have to be SwSh either. It could be ARMS, XC2, Astral Chain, BotW2 - just something that shows that FE didn't once again receive a newcomer when the other Nintendo franchises didn't. Otherwise, it's blatant favouritism for a franchise that was already racking up the characters before Byleth.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
ok so

yeah i know, "leakers" but this is kinda suspicious. This guy said Byleth was FP5 back in October, that Crash is next, neither Smash nor BOTW2 would be at TGA, MK11 WOULD be at TGA, and "direct on thurs" on the 13th. some part of me feels like something's a bit off though

OMG please be true! I really want Crash!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

osby

Smash Obsessed

If fighter #11 comes out, and all of the new games that came out on the Switch walk away without getting a new character in Smash, that's when I'll be genuinely upset. It doesn't even have to be SwSh either. It could be ARMS, XC2, Astral Chain, BotW2 - just something that shows that FE didn't once again receive a newcomer when the other Nintendo franchises didn't. Otherwise, it's blatant favouritism for a franchise that was already racking up the characters before Byleth.
Hey, we did get Piranha Plant. :4pacman:

Seriously though, I'd rather not have a character just because they are not from Fire Emblem.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Well, continuing to talk about Byleth and Fire Emblem only results in us going in circles. Byleth's in, and there's nothing we can do about it. No game has ever just thrown development time out of the window just to remove content. Unfair? Maybe. Deserved? Maybe. Came at the wrong/right time? Maybe. It's all in the eyes of the beholder, and nobody who didn't like FE before or didn't dislike it before is gonna get their minds changed. And the FE rep in DLC came after the announcement of more DLC, so I think it's pretty safe to say that now FE got its DLC character and won't get another. That would be idiocy considering no other FE game is relevant.

'sides, anybody acting like there isn't a bunch more potential music and stages for Zelda, Xenoblade, and other series is telling lies to themselves. Unless Nintendo has not only the money, but also manpower to burn, it's probably not gonna be a pure new series fest. I don't personally immediately predict them, but I'd say their chances are non zero at worst, if not actually pretty darned solid. I don't have a personal attachment to Xenoblade, and don't think X or 2 look half as good as 1, but I respect their fans and I hope they get a fighter anyway. Zelda I have more of a personal preference for but I cannot think of any fighters that I'd want for any reason besides filling a Zelda void, like fitting in with a potential moveset, besides Ganon without the dorf. And while Ganon would be unique and awesome to see, he'd still be a Triforcer and still another Ganon. Skull Kid, Tingle, Impa, and others like them though? All of them would fulfill that, and while they have potential movesets, I don't hold the same fondness for it. Still, I hope they get in someday.

---

On Mandy

I think they might have the sauce, but this could also be a lucky guesser OR somebody faking it by making a lot of guesses and deleting a bunch of them again. I already believe Crash will kick off the next pass, because he fits the same mold as Joker while also being widely popular, thus making him a strong candidate to sell people on the pass and wash the taste of Byleth out of the fandom's mouths. The fact they said this that early means it could be possible, though, they're in the know and have the sauce.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
In Japan it sold 135,195 units, dunno bout everywhere else though
Yeah, 220k seems too low then. After FEH's surge in popularity, I seriously doubt the game sold less in the US and Europe than Japan.

Guess the site where I got my information was wrong or outdated.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well it clearly didn't work. Nobody ****ing cares about the second fighter pass now.
Except most people do because it's 6 new characters. But sure, because this pass had a single Fire Emblem character, all the people who would want Dante or Heihachi will just want nothing to do with the game ever again. Yep.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Imagine if Lara Croft or Master Chief kicked off the second pass though. A blessing because because of the coolness, but a curse because of the following expectations.

EDIT: Though perhaps Japan would be underwhelmed.

>Remembers Cuphead has a similar color to Sans costume.

>Also remembers K.K. Slider costume exists.

>Fears the inevitable.
Cup K. Slider. Coming to stores near you!

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Be fair, I only do that to the poor souls deluded enough to believe they are getting "upgrades". Better than giving them false hope.
I find it hilarious that despite so many fan rules being broken in the past, people like you still have the need to act all high and mighty about which characters they absolutely know will not make it in.

Like it's perfectly fine if you don't think AT/spirit promotions have a chance (even I don't see them as likely), but I legit cringe when people try to gatekeep by saying stuff like "AT/spirit promotions won't happen, stop being delusional!" as if they worked on the game themselves.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

TBH I don't think having another Pokemon added would be any better than having another Fire Emblem character added in terms of favoritism. At least Fire Emblem only had Chrom added in this game, Pokemon has already had Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, and Incineroar added in one game. That's four, anymore Pokemon additions would be even more than Fire Emblem got in Smash 4 and would be more additions than any other series in any other game got in terms of new characters and cut veterans added from the previous game.

I would have liked to see an ARMS, XC2, Astral Chain, BoTW2 character added, but alas, we can only wait and see, and the DLC Spirit events/DLC costumes/ATs don't look good.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm all for tweaking Fire Emblem characters to make them less clone-y. Give Marth his Fire Emblem, man.

View attachment 258488

And for people who nag about Fire Emblem overrepresentation, here's a question: what is your ideal number of Fire Emblem reps?
I think 5 is the ideal number. No Corrin and Awakening gets one rep.

D

Deleted member

ok so

Why would I believe him when his location says vergeben sucks?

I ain’t putting stock into someone like that

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I find it hilarious that despite so many fan rules being broken in the past, people like you still have the need to act all high and mighty about which characters they absolutely know will not make it in.

Like it's perfectly fine if you don't think AT/spirit promotions have a chance (even I don't see them as likely), but I legit cringe when people try to gatekeep by saying stuff like "AT/spirit promotions won't happen, stop being delusional!" as if they worked on the game themselves.
But Sari, how else am I supposed to assert a sense of superiority while disguising it as being "helpful"?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
As far as I've seen it looks like you guys speculate about your wants and predictions, and then I.D. comes in and says "Your predictions are wrong and your hopes will be dashed because we're going to get more Fire Emblem. Also you're dumb for thinking your character has a chance because Fire Emblem."
At the end of the day, it's a video game. So I really don't know why people are so upset that.

1. You don't get someone you want, yeah kind of sucks, but its not the end of the world. Sometimes you take an L, but HOW you take those L's is important.

2. Why you bother getting mad at someone supporting their character of choice. **** I know another Mega Man character is fairly unlikely, but I might as well show my support, because staying quiet about what I DO like isn't helping either.

osby

Smash Obsessed
But Sari, how else am I supposed to assert a sense of superiority while disguising it as being "helpful"?
Of course by making uninformed hot takes about Fire Emblem like everyone else.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think having another Pokemon added would be any better than having another Fire Emblem character added tbh. At least Fire Emblem only had Chrom added in this game, Pokemon has already had Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, and Incineroar added in one game. That's four, any more would be even more than Fire Emblem got in Smash 4 and more than any other series in any other game in terms of new characters and cut veterans from the previous game.

I would have liked to see an ARMS, XC2, Astral Chain, BoTW2 character added, but alas, we can only wait and see, and the DLC Spirit events/DLC costumes/ATs don't look good.
Even if we assume cut veterans are equal to actual newcomers, is Pokemon getting one more character added in Ultimate than FE got in Smash 4 really breaking the bank? It might be different if we're talking about something like Xenoblade, but this is the most profitable franchise in the world. Each game usually sells well over 10 million.

Regardless, I don't think the reception to a new Pokemon will be nearly as bad as Byleth. Pokemon is more popular, and it seems like a lot of people are mentally prepared for it now anyway.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I wonder when the next character reveal is

Id imagine they have to announce it soon cause they cant just release a buyable pass and make people wait until E3 just to see what starts it off

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Everyone's talking about Cuphead and Assassin's Creed.

But you can make Cup Yagami or Cup Man.EXE. Now that's some real power.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Even if we assume cut veterans are equal to actual newcomers, is Pokemon getting one more character added than FE got in Smash 4 really breaking the bank? It might be different if we're talking about something like Xenoblade, but this is the most profitable franchise in the world. Each game usually sells well over 10 million.

Regardless, I don't think the reception to a new Pokemon will be nearly as bad as Byleth. Pokemon is more popular, and it seems like a lot of people are mentally prepared for it now anyway.
I mean it's not just getting one more character than FE got in Smash 4, it's a series getting five characters in one game (after already always being guaranteed a newcomer spot in every single game and having more characters than any other series in the game), which has never happened before. Regardless, I don't think having another Pokemon added would be any more fair than having Byleth added if you honestly care about series representation, especially when series like Zelda/Kirby/DK/Xenoblade need another rep far more.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Id imagine they have to announce it soon cause they cant just release a buyable pass and make people wait until E3 just to see what starts it off
I mean, Joker was confirmed earlier than planned due to the Game Awards and judging by how we had to wait since September to learn about Byleth, I'm pretty sure they do indeed plan on making people wait till E3. Nintendo isn't that good at marketing sometimes after all

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

E3 is the most likely and we will likely be getting a double reveal given 2015: Roy and Ryu, 2018: Daisu and Ridley and 2019: Hero and Banjo.

Not to mention the statement of "Taking more time" and the Pass running until December 31st, 2021.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Even if we assume cut veterans are equal to actual newcomers, is Pokemon getting one more character added in Ultimate than FE got in Smash 4 really breaking the bank? It might be different if we're talking about something like Xenoblade, but this is the most profitable franchise in the world. Each game usually sells well over 10 million.

Personally speaking, I feel like both Pokemon and FE were bound to have DLC characters anyway, with their nature of having rotating cast members/constant new editions to their franchise. Like if Square made Smash instead, you can bet your ass Final Fantasy would have just as many characters as Mario or Pokemon.

Though before Byleth's reveal, I would have guessed both Byleth and whatever Pokemon they added would've been Season 2 characters. Either way, felt like they were happening at some point.

Polan

Smash Lord
I mean, Joker was confirmed earlier than planned due to the Game Awards and judging by how we had to wait since September to learn about Byleth, I'm pretty sure they do indeed plan on making people wait till E3. Nintendo isn't that good at marketing sometimes after all
we're definitely getting a general direct in february. would be dumb if they made us wait till E3.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
E3 is the most likely and we will likely be getting a double reveal given 2015: Roy and Ryu, 2018: Daisu and Ridley and 2019: Hero and Banjo.

Not to mention the statement of "Taking more time" and the Pass running until December 31st, 2021.
not expecting any duel reveals tbh, otherwise, the announcement windows would be a little screwy

our deadline is 23 months away

23 months ago was February 2018, literally the month before Ultimate was even announced.

We've got 17 character announcements within that period

and this is only for 6 characters

they need to space out these things properly, or else we'd be looking at some brutal waiting periods

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
And for people who nag about Fire Emblem overrepresentation, here's a question: what is your ideal number of Fire Emblem reps?
Seven.

I think four variations of the Marth moveset is one or two too many, and likewise, three protagonists from Awakening is one or two too many. I understand why it ended up that way over the course of Smash's development, but we're talking ideal numbers here.

I'd probably remove Lucina. And if I remove Roy as well, I'd replace them both with a single character with a new moveset. Like Celica, Lyn or Micaiah. Or the Black Knight.

Oh, and I'd replace Corrin with Azura. Because I'm biased, and she'd be more aesthetically and functionally different from the other previous FE characters.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Why would I believe him when his location says vergeben sucks?

I ain’t putting stock into someone like that
To be fair, I believe this is the first time Vergeben has gotten something flat out wrong, given he deconfirmed Nintendo during the Great Guess Who of 2019

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I can see an early Joker or Terry style trailer that shows nothing/very little in a direct with an actual gameplay trailer at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom