• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Didn't Fatmanonice Fatmanonice once say that a triple reveal was possible?
Three question marks and Sakurai's holding up three fingers.
Not saying that I'm betting on or even leaning toward a triple reveal, but it does seem worthy of speculation.
I took that back. My original theory was that the General Direct and the Smash presentation were going to be back to back ala the September presentations but that didn't happen. I still think 5, 6, and 7 will be revealed in no more than a few weeks apart from each other though. I also think this presentation has a decent chance of having a double because of past precedent.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Name one instance when overspeculating lead to the right character getting revealed.
Banjo. I don't think he counts though, because Banjo has appeared in fake leaks and theories for years. There was bound to be one that happened to be right by accident.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I took that back. My original theory was that the General Direct and the Smash presentation were going to be back to back ala the September presentations but that didn't happen. I still think 5, 6, and 7 will be revealed in no more than a few weeks apart from each other though. I also think this presentation has a decent chance of having a double because of past precedent.
There's certainly enough time for a double reveal.
But Terry's presentation took 45 minutes, so....

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Triple reveal was entirely my own speculation. My contacts have said since November that 5 and 6 would either be revealed in the same presentation or super close together. I went the extra mile because a crazy rumor in November did pop up that 5, 6, and 7 would all appear in the same presentation. Half my contacts had heard this too but none of the four believed it. Another reason I gave this credence is because everything I've heard is that 6 is not the true start to "Season 2" and that 7 is. 6 is supposedly a bonus with a lot of disagreement on the nature of it. Most my contacts say a standalone character but one has suggested a full on pack but none of the music, spirits, Mii costumes, or stage relate to the character. It's kind of weird right now to say the least.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Most likely they are stick with 1 character and maybe mention what the release method is gonna be like if there is a second fighters passes with 4 to 5 characters or if it will follow the Smash 4 model of no season pass and just basically release as many until its time to move on.

This is longer then Hero's and Banjo's, but neither of them had a character trailer that lasts at least a couple minutes. While still being 13 minutes short then Terry's.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Most likely they are stick with 1 character and maybe mention what the release method is gonna be like if there is a second fighters passes with 4 to 5 characters or if it will follow the Smash 4 model of no season pass and just basically release as many until its time to move on.

This is longer then Hero's and Banjo's, but neither of them had a character trailer that lasts at least a couple minutes. While still being 13 minutes short then Terry's.
I take from that there'll only be a sane amount of music this time.

Did Nintendo put a "NO EXTRA CHARACTER HERE" disclaimer this time?
No they didn't but absence of a negative doesn't equal a positive.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Double post

Last edited:

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice
Following Smash speculation is also following PapaGeno's descent into madness.

My God, I used to like him a lot, but his whole Arle thing is just ridiculous. I wouldn't even mind getting her, but it's so cringy seeing him vouching for her in the way he is doing.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's true, but I also think breaking a fandom down by specific games is a kinda *****y and entitled thing to do.

Like, even though FE fans have 7 reps already, they're gonna claim they actually have no representation, because they're a "Three Houses" fan?

Like, hey, I know DQ has 4 reps already, but I'm a DQ5 fan! Where's my rep?!

**** that.
I mean, asking for any character in general is entitled, if we're looking at it in a vacuum.

My point is that when it comes to a series like Fire Emblem, and even others like Xenoblade or EarthBound, not to mention third parties like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Persona, different games have totally different casts of characters. Not all are going to appeal to everyone, especially since some games are radically different from others.

So no, I don't think it's unreasonable or overly entitled to think that someone wouldn't be "satisfied" getting, say, Corrin, if they love Three Houses/a hypothetical Three Houses addition, but hated Fates/Corrin. Personally, Corrin is a character I really dislike from a game that I thought was disappointingly subpar, while Three Houses is easily a top three Fire Emblem game for me (at the very least...I'm naturally indecisive so I can't decide where in the top three specifically) and a game with actually good characters.

To me the character will always matter more than the series they're from. And for what it's worth, I do think the DQ5 Hero would be the second unique Dragon Quest character if the series were to ever get one, considering his popularity and the fact that Sakurai considered adding him. But being third party likely makes things more complicated than it would for a first party franchise.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Imagine this. Sakurai on the stream announces that the update will also include six brand new assist trophies, five linked with the Challenger Packs and one available for everyone. After showing off the five assist trophies associated with the Challenger Packs, the screen goes black, followed by a distinctive revving sound and then a shout of "Is good time to run, cowards!"

Your reaction?

Edit: Editing for a bit more clarity.

Last edited:

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice
What happened?
Basically, every time Sakurai farts, he just goes like

"well, farts are generally represented as being yellow, which is very similar to orange. Do you guys know who fits colour theory for orange??? That's right, Arle confirmed. This is EVIDENCE."

It's a shame because I used to really like him up until FP5 speculation.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

My God, I used to like him a lot, but his whole Arle thing is just ridiculous. I wouldn't even mind getting her, but it's so cringy seeing him vouching for her in the way he is doing.
I get it's a stretch but how is it cringe?

Maybe the depths of obsession I've seen in others has numbed me but I can't see it.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Imagine this. Sakurai on the stream announces that the update will also include six brand new assist trophies, five linked with the Challenger Packs and one available for everyone. After showing off the five assist trophies, the screen goes black, followed by a distinctive revving sound and then a shout of "Is good time to run, cowards!"

Your reaction?
I would never ask for anything again. The roster would forever be perfect.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Imagine this. Sakurai on the stream announces that the update will also include six brand new assist trophies, five linked with the Challenger Packs and one available for everyone. After showing off the five assist trophies, the screen goes black, followed by a distinctive revving sound and then a shout of "Is good time to run, cowards!"

Your reaction?
Hype. Followed by disappointment when they don't add TF2 music to the actual game

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I figured I'd share this rumor because there's really no real way to prove it and it's just kind of goofy anyways. According to one of my contacts, Arle is kind of a meme with Smash insiders. The story he shared is that Nintendo always wanted a new SEGA rep for DLC but they wanted someone from a new franchise. Supposedly they narrowed it down to two and presented this to Sakurai and the development team: Persona or Puyo Pop. Needless to say, Persona won by a landslide, especially with Sakurai's favor in tow. That said, it's rumored that Arle became a meme because it was BTFO that hard. On this note, I will say I don't know if Papa is being genuine or he's memeing and that's none of my business. He's a friend of mine and he can support whatever he wants but I figured I'd share this story because people ask me "WTF is up with Arle" all the time.

D

Deleted member

Your reaction?
I'd just stare blankly. Then I'll go to sleep.

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice
I get it's a stretch but how is it cringe?

Maybe the depths of obsession I've seen in others has numbed me but I can't see it.
Simply because there is a difference between been a regular user and being someone that actively shares information with the community.

It's one thing to be absolutely mad and be personally offended if a character does not fit your preference (however selectively that preference might be), and post it on a forum.

It's a different thing to be a person who takes the position of actually sharing news. IMHO

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice
I figured I'd share this rumor because there's really no real way to prove it and it's just kind of goofy anyways. According to one of my contacts, Arle is kind of a meme with Smash insiders. The story he shared is that Nintendo always wanted a new SEGA rep for DLC but they wanted someone from a new franchise. Supposedly they narrowed it down to two and presented this to Sakurai and the development team: Persona or Puyo Pop. Needless to say, Persona won by a landslide, especially with Sakurai's favor in tow. That said, it's rumored that Arle became a meme because it was BTFO that hard. On this note, I will say I don't know if Papa is being genuine or he's memeing and that's none of my business. He's a friend of mine and he can support whatever he wants but I figured I'd share this story because people ask me "WTF is up with Arle" all the time.
That's actually the best Smash leak I've ever read, I love it so much

Saelind Genesis

Smash Apprentice
For the records, my perspective on the DLC that we already have has always been positive.

- Piranha Plant -> Wow that looks really goofy, and a really out there choice! Cool!
- Joker -> I haven't even played the game, but this has been a big year for Persona, nice one!
- Hero -> Aaaah, I always wanted to get into DQ, guess now it's the time!
- Banjo & Kazooie -> Wow, I never played this game, but I bet a lot of people will be happy!
- Terry -> Damn, growing up in Latin America I knew a lot of people that liked this. Very curious choice, and fun playstyle! Cool Engrish

Hell, I never played Xenosaga, No More Heroes and Touhou, and got excited by the prospects. People should chill with the characters, I'm sure it will be great.

I think the only character I disliked was Incineroar, and even then I came to accept the big cat

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Do tell.

I am most curious about the Bayonetta aftermath though since she’s my main.

What was it like?
People screaming, breeding toxicity, shouting at people who had the nerve to be happy at Bayonetta's inclusion, demanding the ballot results, overall, INCREDIBLY unhealthy enviroment and I ****ed off out of the K.Rool support thread at the time due to the immense screeching. Bayo being the best charactet in the game certainly didn't help to the point some people were still mad after 3 years. **** was ****ing ugly, especially as most of it came from grown ass adults who should know better

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Imagine this. Sakurai on the stream announces that the update will also include six brand new assist trophies, five linked with the Challenger Packs and one available for everyone. After showing off the five assist trophies associated with the Challenger Packs, the screen goes black, followed by a distinctive revving sound and then a shout of "Is good time to run, cowards!"

Your reaction?
As cool as it would be to see Heavy in Smash Bros, it would kind of leave a bad taste in my mouth personally. Spent way too much money on the loot boxes.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Do tell.

I am most curious about the Bayonetta aftermath though since she’s my main.

What was it like?
Cutie Gwen is spot on. People were pretty pissed because, yes, Bayo was popular but she was much further down the general wish list than other characters and most people ruled her out for "being too mature" anyways. As Gwen said, Bayo being a broken mess at launch definitely didn't help and the fact that she was super niche outside the Smash fanbase made the matter even worse. Despite all this, Corrin was probably the worst received newcomer of all time.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
My money is on PapaGenos taking the piss

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Your reaction?

Edit: Editing for a bit more clarity.
I would be screaming so freaking much in happiness due to Heavy being one of my most wanted fighters.^-^
"HEAVY Brings out the Big Guns!"

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Please tell me more about how badly people reacts to corn
Corrin was basically a perfect storm of what the Smash fanbase didn't want to see at the time:

-They didn't want another swordsman.

-They didn't want another Fire Emblem character.

-They didn't want a promotional character.

-They didn't want a character that virtually no one asked for.

I feel like Corrin probably would have been a lot better received if him and Cloud had swapped places. Concept wise, Corrin's pretty cool but the timing of the reveal kind of added insult to injury when he basically became the poster child for "Sakurai chose this over *insert your most wanted here*", kind of like how ROB was with Brawl. In short, he became King of the Scapegoats ™ right out of the gate.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Please tell me more about how badly people reacts to corn
When the base roster for Smash 4 was revealed there were people complaining that Fire Emblem was getting too many characters. When Roy was announced there were even more people complaining about Fire Emblem. Add to it that people had a bias against "anime swordsmen" at the time. When the final Smash direct was announced a lot of people thought we would get characters that scored high on the ballot, people thought characters like Wolf were a shoe in. You can tell how this was gearing towards disaster when the first thing we saw at the direct was a cutscene from Fates, a game that has yet to even be released overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom