• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I never said that Three Houses wasn't great.
But I don't think that's gonna correlate with a new character.
Super Mario Odyssey won a ton of awards and we never got Pauline or even Toad.
I just think that with the immense popularity of Three Houses, a dlc character would be too good of a money making opportunity to pass up. But then again I'm pretty sure almost any character would make a ton of money.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You'd be very wrong. It's looking like Dante, but I'm not betting on it yet.
I'm pretty sure I was the first person here to mention Dante as soon as the presentation was announced so I wouldn't be wrong at all
Other than someone named Zippo saying that it's a character related to Nintendo in a similar vein as Bayonetta before rescinding that, nothing new.
I'm choosing not to believe anything that doesn't give us a name at this rate, though that wpuld imply Travis so now I have false hope
Oddysey was released before Ultimate came out, 3H was not. It's that simple which is why Oddysey got a ****ton of content in base game, including a new alt for Mario and Cappy

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Nothing, just people thinking DMC3 news means Dante in Smash for some reason.
It's the coincidence of having Smash specific news, and DMC specific news, on the exact same date.

It's something, but I wouldn't say it's completely nothing either, so there's a reason for you.

I'd even say it's kinda obvious why some people would think that too.

Whether it's a correct correlation or not remains to be seen, but it's not farfetched why people are drawing the connection.

Krankees

Smash Ace
All I know for certain is that no matter who gets revealed on Thursday, I'm gonna be crying regardless.

soada7x

Smash Rookie
It's the coincidence of having Smash specific news, and DMC specific news, on the exact same date.

It's something, but I wouldn't say it's completely nothing either, so there's a reason for you.

Whether it's a correct correlation or not remains to be seen, but it's not farfetched why people are drawing the connection.
If it was DMC in general, sure, I would think it could be connected. But they literally said that it's for new features specifically in the Switch port of DMC3, so it's nothing to do with Smash.
No, we just got ****ing Piranha Plant...
And that's a good thing!

Kokiden

Smash Ace
If it was DMC in general, sure, I would think it could be connected. But they literally said that it's for new features specifically in the Switch port of DMC3, so it's nothing to do with Smash.
I think being on the same date is enough to qualify as a solid link for some people lol.

Smash speculations be like that.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
No, we just got ****ing Piranha Plant...
Think what you want, but I'm still convinced that Piranha Plant is there because of Mario Maker, and it would make sense too considering how successful the game was, most successful game on WiiU along with Splatoon.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Didn't @Fatmanonice once say that a triple reveal was possible?
Three question marks and Sakurai's holding up three fingers.
Not saying that I'm betting on or even leaning toward a triple reveal, but it does seem worthy of speculation.
Pretty sure that was just his own speculation, not anything he had heard from his alleged contacts.

I think the 35 minute runtime tells us that we're at least not getting a triple reveal. Everything is indicating that #5 will both be revealed and showcased, that alone could take up all of the presentation when you also factor in the stage, Mii Costumes and whatever else Sakurai might want to highlight. At most I think we might be lucky and get a trailer for the first post-Pass DLC character at the end, with a presentation for it to come closer to release, but even that I'm a bit doubtful of, there's a decent chance they'd save that for the next Nintendo Direct (which will probably be in February at this rate).

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Fire Emblem has seven****ing reps. More than ZELDA.
We can chill on Fire Emblem for a while.
To be fair, Fire Emblem has a rotating cast, Zelda doesn't..and it seems like, aside from Sheik (who was originally part of Zelda), Sakurai doesn't want to add one-off Zelda characters to the game.
Representing a new Zelda games just means changing Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf's designs.
Representing a new Fire Emblem game means adding a new character.
Similarly to what I said above, Super Mario Odyssey already has representation through Mario, Bowser, and Peach, with Mario even having Cappy for a Taunt and added to his Up Special (as well as his Wedding Outfit..and a Builder outfit to rep Super Mario Maker), as well as a new stage. Since Super Mario Odyssey features the same core main characters as essentially every other Mario game, so it didn't need any new characters.

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I'd have an easier time believing we were getting a triple reveal if Nintendo didn't go out of their way to not reveal FP5 up until now. They've had multiple times to reveal them already.

All I know for certain is that no matter who gets revealed on Thursday, I'm gonna be crying regardless.
Same. I don't know what's worst: Everyone hating on and downplaying your most wanted pick for "stealing a slot" or waiting over 3 months for a character you've never even heard of before.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Same. I don't know what's worst: Everyone hating on and downplaying your most wanted pick for "stealing a slot" or waiting over 3 months for a character you've never even heard of before.
I was thinking more along the lines of either crying tears of joy for my most wanted getting in or tears of despair finding out that my pick wasn't the one.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm pretty sure a triple announcement is not going to happen... Maybe a double announcement, just to keep the fans hooked to the game even after the fighter pass (and this is not even guaranteed); but a triple one is impossible.

Also I'm a bit skeptical about this Dante thing. The tweet is clear, they say these dates are important for news about new features of a specific DMC game, not Smash. The tweet is too specific, it's not Smash.
But Dante can be in Smash regardless of the tweet, it's not a confirmation but also not a deconfirmation of anything.

I honestly have no idea of who can be the newcomer. Last time, when we knew it was an SNK character, I said it was going to be Metal Slug because we already got Ken as fighting game character and King of Fighters was unlikely; at the end it was Terry and I was wrong.
This means, by the same logic, I would say no JRPG character, but it can turn to be one, because they don't care of balancing the representation.

Considering how Sakurai seems to love characters who seem to come out from a shonen anime or something close to it, Dante, Travis and KOS-MOS are all possible IMO.
There's an high chance it will be someone I care absolutely nothing about, as always. I hope first parties will be considered, at least for fighter pass 2.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking more along the lines of either crying tears of joy for my most wanted getting in or tears of despair that my pick wasn't the one.
I know, it's just that my picks are so niche and obscure that I know a lot of people are going to scratching their heads while I'm busy losing my ****.
And unfortunately none of the front runners that haven't been deconfirmed have really spoken to me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
We have tons of Odyssey characters in Ultimate. Mario, Peach, Bowser, Luigi as of Balloon World, Yoshi...they all appear in Odyssey.

We don't have a single Three Houses character on the roster. Three Houses is a very popular game with a very well-received cast. Mario Odyssey fans have Mario. You can't say the same for Three Houses fans with, like, Corrin, simply due to the different natures of their series.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

It's likely just coincidence, but I still find it odd that they would have DMC3 news on the same day as a Smash Announcement revealing a new character considering how much the latter tends to overshadow every other bit of news on that day even if this is a morning reveal (in regards to smash)

Pretty sure that was just his own speculation, not anything he had heard from his alleged contacts.

I think the 35 minute runtime tells us that we're at least not getting a triple reveal. Everything is indicating that #5 will both be revealed and showcased, that alone could take up all of the presentation when you also factor in the stage, Mii Costumes and whatever else Sakurai might want to highlight. At most I think we might be lucky and get a trailer for the first post-Pass DLC character at the end, with a presentation for it to come closer to release, but even that I'm a bit doubtful of, there's a decent chance they'd save that for the next Nintendo Direct (which will probably be in February at this rate).
Yeah, my guesses is that we'd have to factor in the following for #5 (loosely in order)
  • Reveal Trailer
  • Opening Statement
  • Brief history lesson on the character, their series, etc.
  • Showcase of their moveset and brief explanations on their function, history, use, etc
  • Showcase of their stage along with any interesting things regarding said stage
  • List of music tracks the character is bringing (along with remixes)
  • Gameplay showcase usually via a single match (possible chance of something else like Classic Mode)
  • Show off Spirit Board
  • Show off new Mii Costumes
  • Show off new Amiibo set
  • Reveal when the character will release (unless it was already done via trailer)
  • Closing Statement*
* Around here is where one could expect the reveal for the first post pass character unless everything listed takes up the full 35 minutes (which is possible)

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It's likely just coincidence, but I still find it odd that they would have DMC3 news on the same day as a Smash Announcement revealing a new character considering how much the latter tends to overshadow every other bit of news on that day even if this is a morning reveal (in regards to smash)
What's Nintendo suppose to do, tell every developer when Smash will have a reveal so nobody gets overshadowed?

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
A 35 minute reveal means nothing when Terry got a 48 minute reveal for literally no reason other than Sakurai played god damn single player mode. Expect nothing more than the other 3 Fighter Presentations we’ve had (Joker at least had a budget and editing).

I.D.

Smash Lord
This is the first time a fighter hasn't been announced by surprise at some big event beforehand. So the format might be significantly different.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
This is the first time a fighter hasn't been announced by surprise at some big event beforehand. So the format might be significantly different.
I am not expecting the format to be that different it just opens with the character reveal trailer and the style of presentation we had for Hero, Terry, and Banjo.

Krankees

Smash Ace
A 35 minute reveal means nothing when Terry got a 48 minute reveal for literally no reason other than Sakurai played god damn single player mode. Expect nothing more than the other 3 Fighter Presentations we’ve had (Joker at least had a budget and editing).
I just checked the Hero and Banjo video lengths and they were around 21-25 minutes long. Terry was long because most of it was just Sakurai explaining the character's history and everything that would be included with him which was a lot. For all of them, when Sakurai was done explaining everything the character had to offer, time was filled up by explaining additional things like mii costumes and small updates. I say at the very least we're getting information on how DLC is gonna work after FP5 unless it's some character that needs some explanation but not as much as Terry's.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
We don't have a single Three Houses character on the roster. Three Houses is a very popular game with a very well-received cast. Mario Odyssey fans have Mario. You can't say the same for Three Houses fans with, like, Corrin, simply due to the different natures of their series.
That's true, but I also think breaking a fandom down by specific games is a kinda *****y and entitled thing to do.

Like, even though FE fans have 7 reps already, they're gonna claim they actually have no representation, because they're a "Three Houses" fan?

Like, hey, I know DQ has 4 reps already, but I'm a DQ5 fan! Where's my rep?!

**** that.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Also my sources that are absolutely real and totally not a fabrication said we'd get a character with one of the most iconic win quotes in gaming history.

That's right, Venom Guilty Gear is in
Venom is channeling his inner SonicFox in that image.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Also, didn't the segment showing off his moveset take 15 minutes? I can easily see the moveset segment in #5's presentation taking over 10 minutes. As for Gameplay showcase (I.E. playing a match or doing a classic mode run), that depends on what he decides to do; it could be a single vs match, could be a Mob Smash run, could even be another Classic Mode run.

Heoj

Smash Ace
Im definitely betting on a double reveal.

And i also think cacomallow is legit

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
I wish people can stop looking at everything Sakurai does and assumes that it's some kind of Smash hint. The man isn't a Rorschach Test where we can all see what we want to individually see. His entire existence isn't meant to be him being a living breathing Smash hint.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
SonicFox is our true FP5, for their neutral special, they yell "Trans rights!"

Also I'm personally banking on the presentation being Terry's but without the Classic mode runthrough
Yeah I think so too. I expect the last five minutes of the presentation to at least give us an idea on how season 2 DLC might play out, and if we're lucky we might even get a glimpse on the next fighter.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I am not expecting the format to be that different it just opens with the character reveal trailer and the style of presentation we had for Hero, Terry, and Banjo.
Actually it opens with Sakurai doing his best impression of a professional insider and giving vague hints for the character's identity, daring you to guess who it is. This goes on for 10 minutes until it's revealed. Then 25 minutes of presentation.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah I think so too. I expect the last five minutes of the presentation to at least give us an idea on how season 2 DLC might play out, and if we're lucky we might even get a glimpse on the next fighter.
At the same time I think they'd rather kick off season 2 at E3, while this presentation is already different, I don't see them announcing another character to possibly get the one who's been featured to get overshadowed, especially after Sans

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Actually it opens with Sakurai doing his best impression of a professional insider and giving vague hints for the character's identity, daring you to guess who it is. This goes on for 10 minutes until it's revealed. Then 25 minutes of presentation.
Watch as the first 10 minutes is him showing the Mii costumes to break everyone's hearts at the start.

D

Deleted member

I wish people can stop looking at everything Sakurai does and assumes that it's some kind of Smash hint. The man isn't a Rorschach Test where we can all see what we want to individually see. His entire existence isn't meant to be him being a living breathing Smash hint.
Name one instance when overspeculating lead to the right character getting revealed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, 20 pages since last night.

Let's see if the page numbers surpass world war 2 before the day.

I think multiple characters is a possibility, and would explain some of the contradictory clues, but I wouldn't count on it. That's just setting things up for disappointment.

D

Deleted member

Wow, 20 pages since last night.

Let's see if the page numbers surpass world war 2 before the day.

I think multiple characters is a possibility, and would explain some of the contradictory clues, but I wouldn't count on it. That's just setting things up for disappointment.
35 minutes for a single presentation could all just be ome character. Case in point; Terry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom