• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I love how we got an announcement of a Pokemon Direct and the 6.1.1 update both today as if to specifically shoot down a lot of people's hopes about Smash news this week lol.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I love how we got an announcement of a Pokemon Direct and the 6.1.1 update both today as if to specifically shoot down a lot of people's hopes about Smash news this week lol.
I know, right? There go all of our hopes for anything.

I bet there are already people datamining the update...and Nintendo's gotten clever enough that they most likely scrubbed the data. Or better yet, the new character has obviously fake stats and an internal name of 'TROLOLOL'

This does make me wonder if they're specifically trying to do a "Fighter 5 available now!" thing, which they haven't done before - even Hero had a few weeks between reveal and release. If that's the case, we'll likely be getting our first bit of post-pass DLC announced as well.

I just want them to announce it so we can stop getting antsy about this. If by some miracle they announce who I want, I can wait as long as I need to. I just want to know. And that doesn't include leakers giving me false hope/false disappointment either - I want the info from Nintendo.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Let’s just drop this ww3 stuff away and move on. I don’t wanna see this thread turn into a political thread.

here’s something to talk about instead

What got you interested into Nintendo and becoming a Nintendo fan?
I actually got into Nintendo through Smash. Brawl, to be specific. Seeing all the different characters and the variety that the medium has to offer is what got me into gaming.
I know this is premature since Fighter 5 obviously hasn't been revealed yet at the time of this post... but let's try another game:
create another Fighters Pass using the same character "types" as the current one (they can be first-party or third-party).
  1. Modern / "Relevant" character (Joker)
  2. RPG character (Hero)
  3. Platformer character (Banjo & Kazooie)
  4. Fighting Game character (Terry)
  5. ... I dunno, you're free to make up a new category and character for this one
I'll start...
  1. Modern / "Relevant" character - Akira Howard
  2. RPG character - Adol
  3. Platformer character - Crash Bandicoot
  4. Fighting Game character - Sol Badguy
  5. Visual Novel character - Phoenix Wright
Off the top of my head:

1. Modern character: Travis Touchdown
2. RPG character: Sora
3. Platformer character: Crash Bandicoot
4. Fighting game character: Heihachi Mishima
5. If it's another visual novel character: Professor Layton
Let's see how objectively bad I could make this...
  1. Modern - Jonsey
  2. RPG - Cyril
  3. Platformer - Call
  4. Fighting Game - Decapre
  5. ... I dunno, you're free to make up a new category and character for this one - Blade
How did I do?
I only know two of the characters but I'd say you did a pretty good job at being terrible.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I have my own challenge, round 2. This time, it's about Nintendo's history!
  1. A Nintendo newcomer from a game on the following consoles: NES, Game Boy, SNES, Game Boy Color, Nintendo 64, or Virtual Boy. Must be debut.
  2. A Nintendo newcomer from a game on the following consoles: GBA, GameCube, Nintendo DS, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, or Switch. Must be debut.
  3. A (Nintendo or third party) newcomer from a game that was a launch title on a Nintendo console. Didn't have to make their debut, just had to be in a launch title.
  4. A third party character whose series has an intense history with Nintendo (all consoles listed above, except Virtual Boy, skipping no more than two home consoles or three handhelds. Accounts for debut, so characters from after consoles discontinuation don't count as skipping. For example, Shovel Knight counts even though he isn't on the Wii or older because he's younger than the Wii's lifetime, and is on all three consoles he's been around for.)
  5. A third party character whose series would make its Nintendo debut in Smash. Cameos in multiplat games that release on Nintendo consoles don't count (as Nintendo debut).
    1. Bonus: Now the above does count as a Nintendo appearance. Does your answer change?
My picks: Paper Mario, Isaac, Earthworm Jim Kinda starting to doubt how much he actually counts, so I'll go with King Boo instead, Arle Nadja, and Sly Cooper.

I know this is premature since Fighter 5 obviously hasn't been revealed yet at the time of this post... but let's try another game:
create another Fighters Pass using the same character "types" as the current one (they can be first-party or third-party).
  2. RPG character (Hero)
  5. ... I dunno, you're free to make up a new category and character for this one
I'll start...
  2. RPG character - Adol
For this, I'm going with Frisk (Undertale just won't die. If it doesn't count as relevant, then a 3H character), Lloyd Irving, Crash again and Heihachi Mishima.

As for my arbitrary fifth category, it's Arle. Let's say female character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. A Nintendo newcomer from a game on the following consoles: NES, Game Boy, SNES, Game Boy Color, Nintendo 64, or Virtual Boy. Must be debut.
  2. A Nintendo newcomer from a game on the following consoles: GBA, GameCube, Nintendo DS, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, or Switch. Must be debut.
  3. A (Nintendo or third party) newcomer from a game that was a launch title on a Nintendo console. Didn't have to make their debut, just had to be in a launch title.
  4. A third party character whose series has an intense history with Nintendo (all consoles listed above, except Virtual Boy, skipping no more than two home consoles or three handhelds. Accounts for debut, so characters from after consoles discontinuation don't count as skipping. For example, Shovel Knight counts even though he isn't on the Wii or older because he's younger than the Wii's lifetime, and is on all three consoles he's been around for.)
  5. A third party character whose series would make its Nintendo debut in Smash. Cameos in multiplat games that release on Nintendo consoles don't count (as Nintendo debut).
    1. Bonus: Now the above does count as a Nintendo appearance. Does your answer change?
My picks: Paper Mario, Isaac, Earthworm Jim, Arle Nadja, and Sly Cooper.

For this, I'm going with Frisk (Undertale just won't die. If it doesn't count as relevant, then a 3H character), Lloyd Irving, Crash again and Heihachi Mishima.

1.StarTropics guy
2.Meteos rep
3.Can’t think of anyone
4.Travis Touchdown
5.Frank West from Dead Rising

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
  2. RPG character - Adol
Modern / "Relevant" character: Sora
RPG character: Ringabel
Platforming: Spyro
Fighting game: Yosuke Hanamura
Visual novel: Layton

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Let's see how objectively bad I could make this...
  1. Modern - Jonsey
  2. RPG - Cyril
  3. Platformer - Call
  4. Fighting Game - Decapre
  5. ... I dunno, you're free to make up a new category and character for this one - Blade
How did I do?
I swear I’m the only person who doesn’t hate Cyril. like sure he isn’t my favorite in a game full of wonderful characters, but he’s hardly terrible and I actually like his bluntness.
F9EB7A29-D5CB-40B2-A8C6-D8BF5299E940.jpeg

Sure he talks about Rhea a bit too much, but at least he’s not as obsessive as Hubert is to “Lady Edelgard”. (Still like Hubert tho)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
  2. RPG character (Hero)
  1. Modern - Edelgard
  2. RPG - Rex
  3. Platformer - Crash
  4. Fighting Game - Kyo Kusanagi
  5. Visual Novel - I'm gonna cheat and pick Kyo again since he was technically in a PS1 visual novel as well as this recent unholy creation.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
  2. RPG character (Hero)
I'll start...
  2. RPG character - Adol
Neat.

1) Modern Fellow: Travis Touchdown
2) RPG character: Crono (Trigger)
3) Platformer: Bonk
4) Fighting Game Character: Yoshimitsu
5) Because Why not: Bandana Waddle Dee

Krankees

Smash Ace
My picks: Paper Mario, Isaac, Earthworm Jim, Arle Nadja, and Sly Cooper.
My picks would be these.

1. Geno to please the Geno fans.
2. Another Pokemon because I can't think of anything else and at least each one plays differently.
3. Shovel Knight since he first appeared on Nintendo.
4. Phoenix Wright who started from GBA and was only excluded from GameCube and Wii U.
5. Master Chief until I can think of someone I want more that hasn't appeared on Nintendo yet.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Lots of **** happening since I left last night

RE: Pokemon direct

Likely just Pokemon Sleep and Home as well as a few updates on SwSh. Possibly even Detective Pikachu 2. No D/P remakes and sure as **** no Smash announcement

RE: 6.1.1 update

This killed any potential Shadow Drop this month. Doesn't mean an announcement can't happen, but don't expect a character release next week or whenever the direct is

RE: DMC3 ****

Means nothing for smash.

It doesn't help that the current Smash source was through a third person, making it a bad game of telephone.
His current Smash source is the one he's had throughout all of Pre-Release and DLC

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
His current Smash source is the one he's had throughout all of Pre-Release and DLC
That is not what I'm saying. His actual source is someone talking to another person. It's a game of telephone because he's not directly talking to the actual main person with information, but the person who is reading the information off to him. A.K.A. A go-between.

That's where the company confusion came from in the first place.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I swear I’m the only person who doesn’t hate Cyril. like sure he isn’t my favorite in a game full of wonderful characters, but he’s hardly terrible and I actually like his bluntness.
Sure he talks about Rhea a bit too much, but at least he’s not as obsessive as Hubert is to “Lady Edelgard”. (Still like Hubert tho)
I haven't interacted with him much. The most noteworthy interaction I've had with him was accidentally trying to recruit him while I was searching for the owners of various lost items (I swear nobody owns that joke book), denied him, then quit without saving because that pissed him off and I wanted to keep my options open. I haven't tried to recruit anyone since they made it sound like they have to come to you, but I think I've reached the last month before the time skip so I should probably ask someone so my team doesn't get locked into a number below the maximum.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Lord, please don't let FP5 be a Pokémon.
And not just because I have to crack an egg on my forehead if it is.
I just genuinely want ANYTHING else.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm 99.999999% sure there isn't going to be a Smash reveal during the pokedirect. IF we ever get another pokemon rep (something I can't say I want as there isn't really a pokemon I really care about that much), it won't be until after the fighters pass concludes.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
1. Waluigi
2. Lyn
3. Ashley (IIRC WarioWare Touched was a launch title for the DS)
4. Leon S. Kennedy or Monster Hunter
5. Kratos or Gordon Freeman
Bonus: Nope

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok, let's try this... and for a bonus, I'm not gonna repeat answers for the two prompts.

2. RPG character (Hero)
Relevant character: Realistically, I have to go with the Wah. He's the king of Ninty spin-offs to this day, and he's still showing up.
RPG character: my boy Dovahkiin
Platformer character: Tails from Sonic
Fighting game character: Nightmare from Soul Calibur
Extra: Character from a simulation game - Bella Goth from The Sims

Ninty Oldie: Gotta go with Pauline, actually. She started way back on Ninty arcades, then took a looooong break to come back as everyone's most hated spirit battle.
Ninty Newbie: Ooh, you're making me choose between Midna and Urbosa. But Urbosa can fit into the below, so Midna from Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC)
Launch Title: Urbosa, since Zelda: BotW was a Switch launch title. Yeah, Twilight Princess was a Wii launch title, but this way works.
Ninty History: Technically Mortal Kombat works, since it only missed Virtual Boy, 3DS and WiiU. Scorpion's the obvious choice, even though I favor Kenshi.
Ninty newbie: I think if you wanted to break the internet, Master Chief would be a good way to do so.

...this took ages. I am coming to the realization that I don't know too many games. I'm loving that first pass though...

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
  1. Jody Summer (F-Zero X, a Nintendo 64 title)
  2. Lana / Cia (Hyrule Warriors, which was a Wii U title and has since been ported to 3DS and Switch)
  3. Excitebiker (Excitebike was an NES launch title)
  4. Phoenix Wright (the original Ace Attorney trilogy was first released on GBA and has been ported to DS, Wii, 3DS, and now the Switch, only missing the GameCube and Wii U)
  5. Ratchet & Clank (one of Sony's PlayStation exclusive series from the PS2/GC/XBOX era, and one I would love to see in Smash if possible)

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Sakurai is cutting out the Nintendo characters due to Nintendo purists getting upset at the love SNK got
Man I wish this were real.
Sakurai for the love of god PLEASE do this for April Fools!
Let’s just drop this ww3 stuff away and move on. I don’t wanna see this thread turn into a political thread.

here’s something to talk about instead

What got you interested into Nintendo and becoming a Nintendo fan?
Not gonna specify my age but I got my first Nintendo system as a kid (the Nintendo DS), and then I became a fan of Mario, Sonic, and Pokemon. (That's your average idiot, everybody.) Eventually, I lost my interest in Sonic the Hedgehog, got into Smash Bros. (starting towards the end of the Brawl days) and from there I kind of branched out to other Nintendo stuff like Fire Emblem and Splatoon.
  1. Gengar
  2. Byleth (Octolings and Rex are runner-ups)
  3. Watch these mental gymnastics: Skylanders Imaginators was the 6th installment in the mainline Skylanders series and featured Crash Bandicoot, alongside Dr. Cortex, as playable characters. Although it is not a Crash Bandicoot series game and the game in question was first released October 13, 2016, it was later ported to the Nintendo Switch on March 3, 2017 as a launch title and thus Crash Bandicoot made his Switch debut at the launch of the then-new system.
  4. Either Travis Touchdown or Shovel Knight
  5. Either Raz (from Psychonauts) or the Heavy (from Team Fortress 2)

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
1. Shantae
2. Amaterasu
3. Ling Xiaoyu (Tekken Tag Tournament 2)
4. Rayman
5. Kat (Gravity Rush)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My picks: Paper Mario, Isaac, Earthworm Jim Kinda starting to doubt how much he actually counts, so I'll go with King Boo instead, Arle Nadja, and Sly Cooper.

This should be easy

1. Waluigi (Mario Tennis - N64)

2. Isaac (Golden Sun - GBA)

3. Bomberman (Super Bomberman R - NS)

4. Phoenix Wright (GBA - NDS - Wii - 3DS - NS)

5. Nathan Drake (Uncharted)

Bonus. Yeah, I probably would, but honestly aside from Master Chief and 2B I can't think of another character that satisfies those conditions.
Cyril is from Fire Emblem: Three Houses and seems to be disliked by the fanbase, Call is from Mighty No. 9, and Blade is a Sonic o.c. from Super Smash Flash.

EDIT: I'm glad I succeeded at something today.
I knew Blade, though I don't know if I should be proud of that.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
  1. Waluigi
  2. Isaac
  3. Don't know
  4. Phoenix
  5. Ratchet & Clank

Krankees

Smash Ace
I have a question to all the people who actually play smash, casual and competitive. If your dream character got in and turned out to be low tier or you find that you're not having fun playing that character, would you still want to play as that character? What was your reaction if this is already the case with a character currently in.

In my case, tiers don't matter to much to me as it's more about the player and low tiers can still win matches. If I don't like the playstyle, I would try to adjust to it anyway since I wanted the character so much.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I have a question to all the people who actually play smash, casual and competitive. If your dream character got in and turned out to be low tier or you find that you don't like how the character plays, would you still want to play as that character? If this is already the case for some people, what have you done?
My mains in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U were Mega Man, Duck Hunt, and Shulk. I don't like the changes made to the former two in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and never really got back into Shulk (though I enjoy him when I do play as him). I think that's just as well because it's more fun playing all of the characters rather than just three. I don't have a main in this game.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that I like to play with the competitive rulesets, but I am very casual otherwise.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I have a question to all the people who actually play smash, casual and competitive. If your dream character got in and turned out to be low tier or you find that you don't like how the character plays, would you still want to play as that character? What was your reaction if this is already the case with a character currently in.

In my case, tiers don't matter to much to me as it's more about the player and low tiers can still win matches. If I don't like the playstyle, I would try to adjust to it anyway since I wanted the character so much.
I mained Mario in Brawl.
But Brawl was a competitive trainwreck anyway.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I have a question to all the people who actually play smash, casual and competitive. If your dream character got in and turned out to be low tier or you find that you don't like how the character plays, would you still want to play as that character? What was your reaction if this is already the case with a character currently in.

To me the two most important things regarding a character is if I like the character themselves and the playstyle resonates with me. Even if they are low tier I would still play them and push them to the limit. If their playstyle doesn't fit me then it kinda becomes a problem, I love Mega Man and I wanted him in Smash but his moveset doesn't fit my playstyle even though it's admittedly faithful to his games. It's kind of why I want a character like Kratos, I like the character and his moveset for Smash is easy to imagine since he already appeared in another platform fighter.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
god the wait for FP5 is 200% not going to be worth it

the fact they updated Smash just for amiibo support (probably to coincide with the amiibo online tournament) doesn't help matters at all. in other news, I already don't look forward to whatever the Pokemon Direct has to offer ("here's how you transfer Pokemon over- the Pokemon we're allowing in, we mean") and FEH's latest banner treats some of my favorite characters criminally poor.

time to take a break from video games and follow... football, or something.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I have a question to all the people who actually play smash, casual and competitive. If your dream character got in and turned out to be low tier or you find that you're not having fun playing that character, would you still want to play as that character? What was your reaction if this is already the case with a character currently in.

I care more about the "fun to play" part than the "tier" part. I'd rather play a character whose moveset clicks with me and is lower tier or flat out low tier than play a characfter whose moveset is unexciting or is just all around "ugh" to use, but is high tier.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Two characters I'd absolutely love to see in Super Smash Bros. but know I'll never see join it..if only for the fan servicey nature of their series (even if they and their moveset potential would be awesome)
Sorry, I've been on a Senran Kagura kick..playing Burst Re:Newal..I love the mood whiplash between fan service and dark plot elements.
SmashTemplateAsuka.png SmashTemplateYumi.png
(Click to View Full Size)
Yumi has costume references.
3 - Homura (shinobi)
4 - Asuka (shinobi)
6 - Miyabi (uniform)
8 - Kitty Yumi (Peach Ball)

*Yes, I gave them the same Arcade Mode Path since I doubt both would make it in lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Two characters I'd absolutely love to see in Super Smash Bros. but know I'll never see join it..if only for the fan servicey nature of their series (even if they and their moveset potential would be awesome)
Sorry, I've been on a Senran Kagura kick..playing Burst Re:Newal..I love the mood whiplash between fan service and dark plot elements.
View attachment 256277View attachment 256278
(Click to View Full Size)
O. EHM. GEE (in Shiki's accent)

I've been binging SenKag this week and hell I want to promote but...

*gets yanked by a chain*

Smash is for good boys and girls

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Tiers don’t matter that much to me, I went from maining Meta Knight in Brawl to Jigglypuff in Smash 4, so I’ve already gone through the worst.

Playstyle absolutely does though, which is why I made that change. Like a wise man once said: If it’s not fun, why bother? Meta Knight is one of my favorite Nintendo characters, but I just haven’t enjoyed his playstyle and gameplan for the past two games now, so I’m quite simply not going to play him. Of course the character itself still plays a part, I’m never going to main a character that I enjoy playing but who’s design/personality/origins I dislike, this game has too many rich options for me to stoop to that, but I do still put priority to gameplay.

I’m lucky that Ridley turned out to be the complete package for me, I feel quite confident in saying that I’ve probably got a main for life in him.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
O. EHM. GEE (in Shiki's accent)

I've been binging SenKag this week and hell I want to promote but...

*gets yanked by a chain*

Smash is for good boys and girls
That it is..though, to be fair..Asuka with shorts under her skirt and lacking jiggle physics..and perhaps based on one of her less busty artworks..would possibly pass the bar enough to make it in lol
I'm sure it would shock people that think its just a lewd fan service series lol

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Here's mine:
1. Poochy (Yoshi)
2. Shake King (Wario)
3. Earthworm Jim (Earthworm Jim)
4. Phoenix (Ace Attorney)
5. Heavy (Team Fortress)

Tried my best.^-^

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
1. Skull Kid (The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask)
2. Black Knight (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance)
3. The Master (ActRaiser)
4. Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
5. Master Chief (Halo)

I guess technically ActRaiser wasn't a launch title, but it came out less than a month after the SNES' launch, so it's close enough that I'll use it as an excuse to plug such a great game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Did anyone try datamining the new update yet or are we still left with tumbleweeds and whatnot?

M@R!3

Smash Ace
That was quite the read. So we've got a Pokemon direct this week, and there's some potential for a general direct next week. If that fails I guess I'll place my bet on a February simultaneous reveal and release. At least I'll have Remind soon to pass the time.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

As for my arbitrary fifth category, it's Arle. Let's
1. Kamek. He debuted in Yoshi's Island, a SNES game.
2. Grovyle. He debuted in either Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2, which counts either way.
3. Maxwell Scribblenaut. Unlimited was a Wii U launch title.
4. Frisk. They've had an absolutely spotless record since they got on a Nintendo console.
5. I don't really care who this one is, I guess Mister Chef for all his fans.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is a fun one.

1. Ayumi Tachibana. I played Famicom Detective Club's SNES game last year and really thoroughly enjoyed it. I just really like her and think she could have a really fun moveset and there's a new game coming out too so she's relevant again!

2. The Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan. Look, let me cheat and put in one of my biggest Brawl wants. I'll never get them otherwise :(

3. Ryota/Akari Hayami. Wave Race 64 was the only other launch title for the N64 with Mario 64 and it's good, and Blue Storm was a GameCube launch title and I love I dearly.

4. Phoenix Wright. Started on the GBA, ported to and continued on the DS, new games on the 3DS, available on the Wii, and now on Switch.

5. 2B. It's 2B. And if she doesn't count due to the cameos then PaRappa the Rapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom