• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Nothing directly, I've just been lurking on the thread a bit since there are some rumors there and they tend to go off-topic and talk about general speculation. And a lot of them are also Doomguy supporters, so there's naturally a bit of dismissive/hostile attitude to Dovahkiin as an idea.
If anything, most of the Geno thread probably supports Dovahkiin more than most because it fits the overall narrative that a certain individual has been trying to build over there.

If we do get Skyrim in Smash, I want it done right is all I really ask at this point. I still hate how much credit Skyrim gets given how many problems have been there since Day 1 and literally never even touched in subsequent re-releases, but I can't deny how massive that game was for so many people and who it appeals to. If they go all out with Skyrim in Smash with tons of cool alts, actually neat abilities that go beyond the basic stuff, and maybe have him use anything but one handed sword in addition to a cool stage with a lot of music, I might be able to live with that lol.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
It did say to back up replays right? I think the 1/30 that nessdeltarune00 nessdeltarune00 mentioned may be when the amiibo patch hits, with 1/16 being a general direct and 2/13 (it was 2/13 right) being when FP5 is available for download.
The Amiibo patch is already out. Also those dates have nothing to do with Smash, they're the possible dates in which additional infos on the DMC 3 Switch port are going to get revealed.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I agree. It would be a great way to end all of the DLC.
Senran Kagura is a fan service game through and through, so I doubt it gets anywhere near Smash. But, hey, you've got it as a part of Blazblue Cross Tag Battle, so that's at least a win.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Senran Kagura is something I wouldn't mind in Smash but I feel like if Mai couldn't even get a Spirit then I doubt Asuka, Yumi, or anyone else would get in.

Also some people despise the series to the point of thinking Blazblue, not Blazblue Cross Tag Battle but Blazblue in general is permanently ruined for having Yumi in its crossover game. And trust me, I got attacked for liking it. Just imagine the backlash if SK got in Smash in some way.

Also the usual anime-esque stigma on franchises like that is a big factor for backlash too. I wouldn't mind Asuka in Smash but I know she's heavily unlikely and will cause a bit of controversy.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The Amiibo patch is already out. Also those dates have nothing to do with Smash, they're the possible dates in which additional infos on the DMC 3 Switch port are going to get revealed.
Not possible dates, confirmed dates. There's simply speculation that one of those dates could be a Direct date too depending on how big the announcement is, like idk, Lady or an Atlus character like people have speculated

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Senran Kagura is something I wouldn't mind in Smash but I feel like if Mai couldn't even get a Spirit then I doubt Asuka, Yumi, or anyone else would get in.

Also some people despise the series to the point of thinking Blazblue, not Blazblue Cross Tag Battle but Blazblue in general is permanently ruined for having Yumi in its crossover game. And trust me, I got attacked for liking it. Just imagine the backlash if SK got in Smash in some way.

Also the usual anime-esque stigma on franchises like that is a big factor for backlash too. I wouldn't mind Asuka in Smash but I know she's heavily unlikely and will cause a bit of controversy.
I hate how Senran Kagura is in cross tag but I wouldnt go out of my way to attack people that like it. I just really really really hate everything behind the series

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Nothing directly, I've just been lurking on the thread a bit since there are some rumors there and they tend to go off-topic and talk about general speculation. And a lot of them are also Doomguy supporters, so there's naturally a bit of dismissive/hostile attitude to Dovahkiin as an idea.
I've been regularly checking the Geno thread as well, I still wish some of that Dohvakiin discussion would flow into our actual support thread (especially since every other character support thread gets loads of attention when a leaker suggests them).

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
and FEH's latest banner treats some of my favorite characters criminally poor.
Really says a lot when ****ty gatcha mobile game, made you take a break

Do you play anything else other then Nintendo stuff?

Why can’t PapaGenos just admit that he secretly wants Arle for FP5?
I agree wholehear-

Vergeben has shot her down already.
You lost me

Be like Jon GameXplain everyone. Credible,
Well he’s not a leaker in general, I would say he’s like Fatmanonice and likes to speculate, but this websites sure like to take there words for gospel for some reason

But otherwise, I agree

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Personally I think that if the post-Pass characters get kicked off with anything other than an NPC promotion, under the assumption that it's once again in a Pass format, then we won't be getting promotions at all. Just a hunch.
In fairness...he's right. Travant really should've gotten Gungnir.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
In fairness...he's right. Travant really should've gotten Gungnir.
Wait, Travant doesn't use Gungnir in Heroes? That's really dumb, why wouldn't they give him his holy weapon? I guess it's so Arion can use it, but at the same time we have both Sigurd and Seliph using Tyrfing, both Altenna and Quan using Gae Bolg.

Same thing with Ced not using Forseti. At least that can be explained by Lewyn not having to be his father, but it's still tied to him in Thracia 776.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Do you play anything else other then Nintendo stuff?

I agree wholehear-

You lost me

Well he’s not a leaker in general, I would say he’s like Fatmanonice and likes to speculate, but this websites sure like to take there words for gospel for some reason

But otherwise, I agree
Ehhh I don't know, Jon makes sure to word his stuff purely as speculation, Fatman goes "Well my super secret sources told me this", says what he claims is inside info and then gets upset when people say that prematurely talking about something the general public shouldn't know is leaking. Jon passes his legit stuff as lucky guesses and he constantly makes wrong guesses, either to hide his tracks or because it's genuine speculation

SKX31

Smash Master
I have a question to all the people who actually play smash, casual and competitive. If your dream character got in and turned out to be low tier or you find that you're not having fun playing that character, would you still want to play as that character? What was your reaction if this is already the case with a character currently in.

In my case, tiers don't matter to much to me as it's more about the player and low tiers can still win matches. If I don't like the playstyle, I would try to adjust to it anyway since I wanted the character so much.
I don't take tiers or competitive rules super-seriously, even though it's my preferred way of playing (Mains Cloud, I'm mid-to-high Elite Smash territory with him).

I'd play my personal favorite character no matter what (Dota 2 is the kind of game you would never expect in Smash.) but if said character was not fun or low tier I'd A) have a decent grasp of why, since I prefer playing up close and personal (thus Cloud) and / or B) I'd likely struggle with way more matchups than as Cloud. Still though, I'd play as said favorite character. Probably more as a secondary or Spirit Board battles (like how I use crit builds on Hero. I just love 36 % crit chance on him).

Well...I did think Beck and Call was pretty dumb.
Yeah, I can see that. Don't think it was the worst choice really, but it's a minor problem compared to everything else surrounding Might No. 9.

Which is a shame, since the potential was there and spin offs don't look bad at all. It's just really clear that the main game got caught in a whirlwind of mismanagement.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Tiers are nice, but don't make a character worth using to me. They gotta click with me first and foremost. And sometimes character updates make them unwieldly. Mario felt odd since F.L.U.D.D. came in, and the Doc felt a lot easier to work with now. Ganondorf doesn't feel nearly the same compared to his other 4 playable versions, so I can't work with him nearly as well. He's better ranged, sure, but that doesn't mean much if I can't flow with the guy. Bowser's wrestling-like style makes him very difficult for me to work with. Link I haven't made much of an effort to try among them, though, so I'll get back to you on that. Pit I didn't really find too jarring of a change at that point, so I can still work with him(he didn't heavily connect to me either way).

So for a character I want in; it doesn't matter if they're bad or good. It's whether I can connect with their playstyle or not. Even if I can't, I'll be damn happy they're in anyway.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Wait, Travant doesn't use Gungnir in Heroes? That's really dumb, why wouldn't they give him his holy weapon? I guess it's so Arion can use it, but at the same time we have both Sigurd and Seliph using Tyrfing, both Altenna and Quan using Gae Bolg.

Same thing with Ced not using Forseti. At least that can be explained by Lewyn not having to be his father, but it's still tied to him in Thracia 776.
Supposedly, the reason for no Gungnir is because it's Gen 2 Travant and not Gen 1 Travant(because the Banner is Gen 2 themed). In Gen 2, Travant gave Gungnir to Arion and when Travant fights against Seliph's army, he fights with a Silver Lance. So from a game-story perspective, it's being faithful.

But it is a Gacha game and being faithful or unfaithful is a double-edged sword in a Crossover Gacha game.

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I have a question to all the people who actually play smash, casual and competitive. If your dream character got in and turned out to be low tier or you find that you're not having fun playing that character, would you still want to play as that character? What was your reaction if this is already the case with a character currently in.

In my case, tiers don't matter to much to me as it's more about the player and low tiers can still win matches. If I don't like the playstyle, I would try to adjust to it anyway since I wanted the character so much.
I'm kinda an odd case. I don't have a dream character, never have. Are there still a lot of characters I'd like to see added? Definitely! But as far as playstyles are concerned, I've got at least a couple characters to fit that bill in the Pits and MiiSwordfighter. Thematically, they also fit very nicely with my interests as you can tell by my name&emblem! Seeing as you can customize the Miis too. Although, I deeply miss the Knight Armor set they had in Smash-4 and hope they bring it back.

As you can tell, I don't care where they are tier-wise so long as they are fun, fit with my playstyle, and as a result win more matches with them than I would with the vast majority of the rest of the cast.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Isn’t there supposed to be maintenance today as well? According to that schedule? We got maintenance Monday and will on the 20th for that “pass” thing

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
for that “pass” thing
Just FYI, (since it seems nobody understood what Passes meant in that context)

Passes in the eShop are subscriptions services

So stuff like Nintendo Online, Just Dance Unlimited, Hulu, or whatever that has that type of things, will be having maintenance

The Fighter Pass, is just name, and they function as normal DLC

D

Deleted member

So how would master chiefs smash reveal go in teaser trailer form?
Like there’s no gameplay and we don't know who it is in the beginning.

D

Deleted member

Because he feels the need to pass himself off as a reputable source for some reason. Seriously, why can't notable figures in the community speculate like normal people?

Be like Jon GameXplain everyone. Credible, but doesn't build a personality around his information. He speculates with the rest of us like a true homie.
Because speculation by info providers is always taken as hints or leaks and seen as truth. They can't speculate because people will misinterpret everything they say as something happening and not just a 'want' or 'hope'.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just FYI, (since it seems nobody understood what Passes meant in that context)

Passes in the eShop are subscriptions services

So stuff like Nintendo Online, Just Dance Unlimited, Hulu, or whatever that has that type of things, will be having maintenance

The Fighter Pass, is just name, and they function as normal DLC
Speaking of Hulu and related video streaming services, I am legit surprised Switch doesn’t have Netflix yet. PS4 and Xbox One have Netflix so????

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Speaking of Hulu and related video streaming services, I am legit surprised Switch doesn’t have Netflix yet. PS4 and Xbox One have Netflix so????
The Switch doesn't have HDCP, which makes piracy incredibly easy if you're willing to get a capture card. Don't know the details but I had this conversation with a group of friends before

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

If Professor Layton's play style doesn't mesh with me I won't force myself to play him, but I'd still be overjoyed that he'd be in the game. Also just because a character playstyle doesn't mesh with me doesn't mean the same is for everyone else. At the very least I will greatly enjoy the visuals and music of Layton's stage on Battlefield and Omega forms if the stage is too gimmicky.

Kind of had the same thing happen already with Little Mac. besides Robin and Villager, Mac was one of my most wanted for Smash 4 newcomers, I don't care for his playstyle but I'm still very glad he's in the game and I like his stage.

D

Deleted member

I'm sure it'll eventually get added in; same with Disney+. I think it took awhile before Wii U had it as well, right?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm sure it'll eventually get added in; same with Disney+. I think it took awhile before Wii U had it as well, right?
Do PS4/XBOne have Disney+ yet or no?

also, Crunchyroll on Switch. Or better yet, VRV.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Surprised Sakurai's newest column wasn't posted here yet.
Here's the thread:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Here's the thread:
So basically Sakurai really loves what people can do that can't be done outside of the gaming medium? Good stuff, feel the same as **** like Zero Escape literally doesn't work outside of games

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Wii U and 3DS have it too. Switch is literally the only major system among the big 3 in the past decade to not have it. (Even the Wii had it until around a year ago).

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Here's the thread:
>Praising Visual Novels as a genre in general

Gee, that sure does give me a bit of HOPE, wouldn’t you all agree?

(For future Ace Attorney and Danganronpa content)

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
So basically Sakurai really loves what people can do that can't be done outside of the gaming medium? Good stuff, feel the same as **** like Zero Escape literally doesn't work outside of games
The same thing can also be said with Yoko Taro's games as well; those multiple endings in many of his games can't be translated to or have the same impact in a different visual medium like television or film.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It's what also makes translating a Vanillaware character from their games to Smash difficult IMO.
This is also why I don't like the idea of Cuphead in Smash. The art style defines the game to a point where changing it to fit Smash would actually rob it of so much identity and that just feels wrong.

Even Sol Badguy is a bit of a compromise, but Guilty Gear has a long enough history with variation that I think we can get away with him.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
This is also why I don't like the idea of Cuphead in Smash. The art style defines the game to a point where changing it to fit Smash would actually rob it of so much identity and that just feels wrong.

Even Sol Badguy is a bit of a compromise, but Guilty Gear has a long enough history with variation that I think we can get away with him.
I don't think I've seen a fan-made Smash render of Cuphead that I feel captures the original art style well. I am pretty sure the Smash art department will find a way though to capture those kinds of art styles should someone like Cuphead or a Vanillaware rep come along; none of the fan-made Joker renders did it for me personally in translating Soejima's art style until the official render came out.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
Let's play a new game, make a fighter's pass with 5 characters from games that normally got an m rated or at least had one game/a few games that got an m rating.
Here's My list.
1:Dante(Devil May Cry)
2:Master Chief(Halo)
3:Lara Croft(Tomb Raider)
4Phoenix Wright(Ace Attorney)
5:Ryu Hayabusa(Ninja Gaiden)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom