• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Let's play a new game, make a fighter's pass with 5 characters from games that normally got an m rated or at least had one game/a few games that got an m rating.
Here's My list.
1:Dante(Devil May Cry)
2:Master Chief(Halo)
3:Lara Croft(Tomb Raider)
4Phoenix Wright(Ace Attorney)
5:Ryu Hayabusa(Ninja Gaiden)
When did PW got an M rating?

Krankees

Smash Ace
In particular, it was due to the... implications of one scene

“Something’s wrong with mom, so I’ll take her apart to fix her!”

you don’t actually see it but the implications and written descriptions got it an M alone
Wasn't it because of another scene?

The scene when the courtroom was blown up by a bomb.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Let's play a new game, make a fighter's pass with 5 characters from games that normally got an m rated or at least had one game/a few games that got an m rating.
Here's My list.
1:Dante(Devil May Cry)
2:Master Chief(Halo)
3:Lara Croft(Tomb Raider)
4Phoenix Wright(Ace Attorney)
5:Ryu Hayabusa(Ninja Gaiden)
1. Dante
2. Master Chief
3. Kratos
4. Doomguy
5. Scorpion

Honorable mentions: Lara Croft, Phoenix Wright

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wasn't it because of another scene?

The scene when the courtroom was blown up by a bomb.
Bunch of other T rated games involve bomb based terrorism so I doubt that was it

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
In particular, it was due to the... implications of one scene

“Something’s wrong with mom, so I’ll take her apart to fix her!”

you don’t actually see it but the implications and written descriptions got it an M alone
Nah it was cause of this
4e8e0db78b0716490a3fd6aea2321a90.jpg

A child havong their face covered in blood probably didn't help that scene at all lmao

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Anyway age ratings are bull**** they censored an 11 year old boy's death by not having him get stabbed realistically but rather getting stabbed by multiple giant magic swords just to get the game in the west despite a later shot showing his bloody corpse

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Anyway age ratings are bull**** they censored an 11 year old boy's death by not having him get stabbed realistically but rather getting stabbed by multiple giant magic swords just to get the game in the west despite a later shot showing his bloody corpse
Age ratings are also bull****, especially in Japan, because they are the reason why probably one of the most iconic SNK characters was excluded from a cameo on the KOF stage.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Age ratings are also bull****, especially in Japan, because they are the reason why probably one of the most iconic SNK characters was excluded from a cameo on the KOF stage.
I mean I get that, they don't want panty shots in there at all. Sure, people would never even ****ing seen the panty shots without hacking the camera, but I get the core argument. ****ing boomer asses are always in control of age ratings too

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I have my own challenge, round 2. This time, it's about Nintendo's history!
  1. A Nintendo newcomer from a game on the following consoles: NES, Game Boy, SNES, Game Boy Color, Nintendo 64, or Virtual Boy. Must be debut.
  2. A Nintendo newcomer from a game on the following consoles: GBA, GameCube, Nintendo DS, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, or Switch. Must be debut.
  3. A (Nintendo or third party) newcomer from a game that was a launch title on a Nintendo console. Didn't have to make their debut, just had to be in a launch title.
  4. A third party character whose series has an intense history with Nintendo (all consoles listed above, except Virtual Boy, skipping no more than two home consoles or three handhelds. Accounts for debut, so characters from after consoles discontinuation don't count as skipping. For example, Shovel Knight counts even though he isn't on the Wii or older because he's younger than the Wii's lifetime, and is on all three consoles he's been around for.)
  5. A third party character whose series would make its Nintendo debut in Smash. Cameos in multiplat games that release on Nintendo consoles don't count (as Nintendo debut).
    1. Bonus: Now the above does count as a Nintendo appearance. Does your answer change?
My picks: Paper Mario, Isaac, Earthworm Jim Kinda starting to doubt how much he actually counts, so I'll go with King Boo instead, Arle Nadja, and Sly Cooper.
Ooh this is my kind of challenge. Since this is, basically how I already think about my wants anyway. So maybe not really a challenge for me lol, but still it speaks to me. But these are my picks, assuming ATs are viable options:

1. Dixie Kong
2. Isaac from Golden Sun
3. Bomberman
4. Farmer from Story of Seasons. Duh. I see a lot of people saying Phoenix Wright (who I also support), but Story of Seasons honestly has the stronger history. I mean Nintendo already sort of did a cross over with Story of Seasons and its been around longer.
5. Kid from Chrono Cross. This one was incredibly hard for me as there really aren't any characters that I want that fit this criteria. Generally speaking if a character hasn't been on a Nintendo console, I don't want them in Smash (even if I like the character and/or series). But I chose Kid because I love Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger is a very important SNES game. Though were we to ever get Kid (we won't) I would want to see Crono first.

And if we count ATs as nonviable options I would remake my list as such:

1. Dixie Kong
2. Rhythm Girl
3. Rayman (launch title for GBA)
4. Farmer
5. Kid

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I have a limit in Smash for gore, titilation, and characters that reference it with their very presence. My ideal Smash is light-hearted, but it's losing that quality more and more as these characters get added.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
You would thinkProfessor Layton and Azran Legacy and Unwound future would be rated M because
Layton and a few other characters straight up died in Azran Legacy and Laytons girlfriend and Clives mom died in an explosion in Unwound Future
but nope E10

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I have a limit in Smash for gore, titilation, and characters that reference it with their very presence. My ideal Smash is light-hearted, but it's losing that quality more and more as these characters get added.
Erm... what has changed in regard to the light-hearted Smash? Even if Joker and Terry are serious at times from more serious worlds, they're also both lovable goofballs at various points. And base game didn't really add anything dark besides Castlevania, which in of itself has plenty of more light heart-ed elements sprinkled into its various incarnations despite being known for being dark...

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So a couple days ago someone, I forget who =(, made one of those list activity things and one of their character criteria was a character you don't have a connection to or nostalgia for (or something along those lines anyway) that you nonetheless support for Smash. And honestly I've been thinking a fair amount about it, because if I'm honest a large number of characters I support are characters I have no connection to. Is anyone else like that? And for that matter, since the original question only asked for one character, what characters if any do you all support despite having not played their games?

Like I said, for me there are quite a few for various reasons. But currently I support:

Anyone from Advance Wars, Takamaru, anyone from Rhythm Heaven, Crash Bandicoot, Sora, Jill Valentine, Bandana Waddle Dee (I've never played a Kirby game...), Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Ryu Hayabusa, Elma (didn't have a Wii U), Shantae, and honestly probably more that I'm not thinking of at the moment. But suffice to say, there are quite a few.

I assume I'm not the only one? ANd what characters do you support in spite of a relative lack of experience with them? And why? For me it boils down to some combination of my bias for new series representation, new Nintendo characters, new genre representation, strong ties to Nintendo and gaming history, and/or an appealing aesthetic (to me anyway).

And for that matter if you can't support a character without having some personal experience with them, why do you think that might be? I'm curious as to people's thoughts on this.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
I think a lot of the appeal of smash comes from the sheer variety of its source material so more M rated characters would be nice in my book.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Erm... what has changed in regard to the light-hearted Smash? Even if Joker and Terry are serious at times from more serious worlds, they're also both lovable goofballs at various points. And base game didn't really add anything dark besides Castlevania, which in of itself has plenty of more light heart-ed elements sprinkled into its various incarnations despite being known for being dark...
Snake shoots people in the head, and Bayonetta is worse.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Snake shoots people in the head, and Bayonettea is worse.
What? He doesn't even have a gun. Bayonetta is certainly more promiscuous than characters meant for children, but she doesn't really make things less light-hearted since she doesn't take any of this seriously.

I suppose characters like Ridley and Joker cause a tonal shift, but I'd argue they only take the game from a TV Pokémon tone to a Movie Pokémon tone. Sure bad things are happening on an epic scale, but in the end friendship wins and everything goes back to being happy again.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Smash is still lighthearted, doesn't matter what characters do in their home series.
Honestly, a LOT of great characters would get tossed if they tried to only include E10 and under characters. All Fire Emblem, Shulk, possibly Metroid & some Zelda, Street Fighter, Castlevania, F-Zero, Cloud, Bayo, Snake, Joker, Terry, etc
I'd legit stop supporting the series if it became a rule that only family friendly series could get in.
I much prefer Smash as a celebration of Video Games..in fact, a complaint I have with the series is their trying to cling to an E10+ rating. I wish they'd just let it be Teen so they wouldn't have to censor or leave out characters so much..

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Layton Swearing?!!?!?
View attachment 256301
that’s inconceivable to me and totally un-gentlemenlike behavior. Layton nearly always keeps himself well mannered, some crazy things would have to be happening for him to be so unreserved.
I recall Layton losing his patience with one of the NPC's in Curious Village (At least privately in one of his Journal entries) and I think he also used some British slang in one of the later games if I recall.

But yeah, he's as gentlemanly as he goes.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So a couple days ago someone, I forget who =(, made one of those list activity things and one of their character criteria was a character you don't have a connection to or nostalgia for (or something along those lines anyway) that you nonetheless support for Smash. And honestly I've been thinking a fair amount about it, because if I'm honest a large number of characters I support are characters I have no connection to. Is anyone else like that? And for that matter, since the original question only asked for one character, what characters if any do you all support despite having not played their games?

Like I said, for me there are quite a few for various reasons. But currently I support:

Anyone from Advance Wars, Takamaru, anyone from Rhythm Heaven, Crash Bandicoot, Sora, Jill Valentine, Bandana Waddle Dee (I've never played a Kirby game...), Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Ryu Hayabusa, Elma (didn't have a Wii U), Shantae, and honestly probably more that I'm not thinking of at the moment. But suffice to say, there are quite a few.

I assume I'm not the only one? ANd what characters do you support in spite of a relative lack of experience with them? And why? For me it boils down to some combination of my bias for new series representation, new Nintendo characters, new genre representation, strong ties to Nintendo and gaming history, and/or an appealing aesthetic (to me anyway).

And for that matter if you can't support a character without having some personal experience with them, why do you think that might be? I'm curious as to people's thoughts on this.
Fun thought.

For me, both of mine already got in: :ultridley::ultkrool:. And I'm having loads of fun with both of them.

I've never played a Metroid game (unless you count the 10 minutes I put Metroid II into my GameBoy a million years ago before I moved on to Pokémon), and the only DK game I played was DK64, where I never got past the second level until last year. However, I really got on board with both of their support communities back in the Sm4sh days.

I've always liked the rushdown heavies best, and Smash has always seemed a bit light in the villain department, so I supported both of them because they seemed like exactly what Smash needed: first party villains from franchises that have been in since the beginning. I knew about them pretty well exclusively from the trophy descriptions they had in Melee/Brawl, Rids' boss fight in Brawl, the DK64 opening cinematic and the support threads, but I was all in for hoping they'd make it. It's actually one of the main reasons I got burned by Sm4sh so bad was that neither made it.

For DLC now, I have a pretty short list of 'wanted' characters, and all are from games I've played before. I'm one of those people who's pretty slow to open up to new things in general unless one of my friends is directly introducing me to it (which is how I got into Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Assassin's Creed...). One of the best things about the latest characters they've added is how lovingly crafted they are to reference their home series - compare Ganondorf to K.Rool. But if you don't know that home series, a lot of those references just end up being completely lost. Also, it's a bit of the idea that I'd like other people to see something get as much love as I give it. I remember being really bummed about Zelda representation (it's still pretty one-sided) especially after Hyrule Warriors came out, since that was a giant love letter to the series, while Zelda in Smash has always felt like "You got a bunch of stages, now here's a bunch of clones. You good finally?"

It's also partly that, if it's a character I don't really know, I'll need to see how they play first. I've never touched a Fire Emblem game, but I loved Ike in Brawl since he played exactly the way I liked: a heavy rushdown tanky guy. Because of that, I ended up really liking him, even though I was totally indifferent to Marth and co. from Melee since I'm not all that into the fragile speedster archetype. But the DLC characters they've introduced seem to be heavy on really gimmicky kits, and I'm not really a fan of too-complicated kits - Shulk's buff wheel is too complicated for me to play for a character I'm completely indifferent to, and then Hero comes in with not 5 but 20 different dSpecials and resource management? Ugh, ain't nobody got time for that.

Not to mention that you have to open your wallet to get a chance to test them out unless you have a friend nearby, but if you're already indifferent to the character it's tough to think about shelling out, especially since I like to collect the amiibo as well, and some are not easy to get a hold of. And yeah, you could be missing out then - I was bummed enough by Bayo (and Corrin) at the end of Sm4sh that I didn't get them, but as Ultimate got closer I actually found myself curious and wanted to try her out - not my favorite, but she is fun.

And the add-ons, as well. How's the stage look? The music? I don't need to be a fan of Undertale or even indies to tell that MEGALOVANIA is an awesome song, and I want to buy the Sans costume specifically for that track. I also really think that Yggdrasil's Altar is a beautiful stage, but I'm not at all a fan of how Mementos looks.

And again, what does the character look like? I'm a big fan of the realistic-looking style, but I know a lot of people favor cartoony. I've had my fill for the stereotypical 'anime' style, so I'm disinclined that way in general. Sure, no one point is a dealbreaker, but some characters just hit every point.

And the big factor: as much as we'd probably all like DLC to go on forever, there will be an end sometime...we just want to make sure we get a character we like before that end comes. I'm the kind of person who, if my #1 gets in, I'll just stop being anxious and enjoy the ride after that (and buy everything for completionist's sake). But until then, if I'm not going to be interested, I can wait until there's a sale or never.

I will say, of the DLC announced so far, I've only ever heard of one of those characters outside this site...and I never even played Banjo-Kazooie. Still, they fit beautifully with the style of the game, and I've played DK64, so it's not like they're completely foreign. I do remember B-K as pseudo-mascots of the N64 back then, so I am happy they finally made it in. The other three? I'll hold on...for now. Like I said, if the stars align, I'm throwing all the money I can at Nintendo, so I'm getting them and their amiibos for completion. But otherwise, I'll decide if I need them or not. Especially since Smash is really good about setting up the game - if you don't buy the DLC, it's almost like they weren't released; you don't end up with some silhouette on the CSS screaming "BUY THIS OR ELSE IT LOOKS LIKE THERE'S A HOLE" like Netherrealm does with Injustice/Mortal Kombat.

EDIT: holy **** I was not intending to write a book. TLDR: Everyone has different opinions for different reasons.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Smash is still lighthearted, doesn't matter what characters do in their home series.
It's subjective. I was referring to my own experience.
Honestly, a LOT of great characters would get tossed if they tried to only include E10 and under characters. All Fire Emblem, Shulk, possibly Metroid & some Zelda, Street Fighter, Castlevania, F-Zero, Cloud, Bayo, Snake, Joker, Terry, etc
I didn't recommend that restriction.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I’ll always be slightly bitter than Solid Snake who is regularly depicted using a non-lethal tranquilizer pistol isn’t allowed to use it, but Joker is.

I know that Joker’s gun is a replica that becomes real only in the metaverse, I don’t care because it acts like an actual firearm in Smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm fine with M-rated characters as long as Sakurai tries blending them in with Smash and not keeping the gorey, suggestive stuff.

Bayonetta is the only character I'm still not completely comfortable with, and it's not because of the guns or anything. I don't like how blatantly seductive and sexual she is, and she just makes Smash feel awkward and uncomfortable sometimes. I mean, when one of your signature abilities is stripping off your clothes to attack, you're kind of pushing it.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Well he’s not a leaker in general, I would say he’s like Fatmanonice and likes to speculate, but this websites sure like to take there words for gospel for some reason
> Jon GameXplain
> Like Fatman

Fatman is the kind of person Jon called out when he went after Sabi. Does Jon mix in insider info with his speculation? Probably. But he doesn't use it as the basis of his speculation, nor does he center his personality around it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ridley, the most violent character in the game, still doesn't bring gore.

Ones like Scorpion wouldn't either.

And Palutena and Bayonetta are the most fanservicey characters we've gotten, which is barely there. I'm not worried about any of this. Tone 'em down, and sweet.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm fine with M-rated characters as long as Sakurai tries blending them in with Smash and not keeping the gorey, suggestive stuff.

Bayonetta is the only character I'm still not completely comfortable with, and it's not because of the guns or anything. I don't like how blatantly seductive and sexual she is, and she just makes Smash feel awkward and uncomfortable sometimes. I mean, when one of your signature abilities is stripping off your clothes to attack, you're kind of pushing it.
Maybe it's because I'm used to her and her games, but I have a hard time imaginining that someone considers Smash depiction of Bayonetta as uncomfortable.
idk, when I play with her or against her I don't see sexuality neither seduction in everything she does. When she taunts maybe yes, but if we speak about her proper moveset I don't feel or see nothing awkward. Of course she has the attitude and all that, but I don't feel that pushes anything.

I know it's your opinion, and maybe I'm the only one who doesn't feel anything super seductive on her Smash depiction. I'm just a bit curious with your point of view, haha.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Ridley, the most violent character in the game, still doesn't bring gore.

Ones like Scorpion wouldn't either.

And Palutena and Bayonetta are the most fanservicey characters we've gotten, which is barely there. I'm not worried about any of this. Tone 'em down, and sweet.
So would you be okay with a character from a porn game, if they weren't pornographic in Smash?

D

Deleted member

So would you be okay with a character from a porn game, if they weren't pornographic in Smash?
What kind of game would even grab that much of an audience for Smash Bros?

I mean, I guess besides Fates, but that series clearly has more than sex scenes at this point in time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Woah, don't fall off the shark you're jumping in on.

That's a massive leap of logic and isn't even worth discussing and you know it. Because it'd be absolutely ludicrous. "well if you can have a character who makes the gooey red stuff come out once in a while or the character in question is physically attractive then SURELY NAKED IS OK!" -_-

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Funnily enough, people use that argument against Saber from Fate/Stay Night... or is it Stay/Fate Nights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom