• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd love it. Almost everything I know about Granblue m is from hype fighting game trailers lol. Everything else is from that one upcoming ARPG (Relink). That and every ice using sword wielder I can think of is cool (also pun intended). Jin (Blazblue), Mitsuru (Persona), Weiss (RWBY), etc. Most importantly, we'd get her theme song though.

She'd be a pretty dope mobile game rep; I can think of people a whole lot worse.
Since people are going to whine either way, I hope Sakurai follows ArcSystem Works' example and makes her broken like Jin and Mitsuru.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
What leak?
It wasn't a "leak". Some random "insider" on reddit said that Katalina from GB Fantasy would be one the FP characters.

That was back in November 2018 when no one really knew anything about the DLCs. Case in point, Hitagi (the insider in question) also said that we wouldn't be getting any Atlus characters in the FP...and then a month later Joker was revealed.

And yes, i know Hitagi later dismissed the claim about "no Atlus characters"...but for that matter they also dismissed the Katalina rumor by saying It was actually for another game, soooo...yeah

I.D.

Smash Lord
What would be your reactions if the character ends being catalyna from Grand blue
Resigned disappointment that they went for the blandest character in a group of main characters already designed to be as boring and inoffensive as humanly possible.

Also Granblue is technically a browser game, not a mobile game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That’s why I barley ever go for my favorite characters, it’ll always end in disappointment.
I have very little investment toward character reveals outside an in the moment yay or nay. I'm still giving them a fair shot when they release, and if I don't like them, I still have Hero. I'm just glad to see new content. Bring on Jonesy Fortnite.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I have very little investment toward character reveals outside an in the moment yay or nay. I'm still giving them a fair shot when they release, and if I don't like them, I still have Hero. I'm just glad to see new content. Bring on Jonesy Fortnite.
I’m hoping for interesting viable characters (which can also give a big middle finger to annoying characters). Terry and Joker are around the right track.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I’m hoping for interesting viable characters (which can also give a big middle finger to annoying characters). Terry and Joker are around the right track.
Downside to that is, if a DLC character ends up being viable, some people are going to start chanting the "pay to win" schtick again, and how anyone who uses a DLC character is "getting carried." The people who use these DLC characters will then be outcast and bullied online.

I do wish the fanbase would stop that.

I use Bayonetta and Joker, so I've had to go through that twice now.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Downside to that is, if a DLC character ends up being viable, some people are going to start chanting the "pay to win" schtick again, and how anyone who uses a DLC character is "getting carried." The people who use these DLC characters will then be outcast and bullied online.

I don’t care care what they say. Viable characters kill off cancer and gimmicks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Downside to that is, if a DLC character ends up being viable, some people are going to start chanting the "pay to win" schtick again, and how anyone who uses a DLC character is "getting carried." The people who use these DLC characters will then be outcast and bullied online
Unless the devs get more straight with balancing the game. To me, MkLeo's Joker run at EVO was one of the most skillful runs in Smash. He isn't winning everything, and there have been times when he lost, but needless to say, a DLC character that is viable, but locked behind a skill gap, is good enough for the meta. No wonder people stuck with Melee Fox after all these years.

WeirdSandwich

Smash Cadet
If you're interested, I created a moveset concept for Carmen that's an amalgamation of every version of her. It's a long read, but it's worth skimming at least.

Her new Netflix show is also really good; I'm glad it introduced another generation to such an iconic character.
That's a pretty interesting moveset, the idea of temporarily 'stealing' the opponents special moves so they can't use use them is really unique.

And she got weirdly popular back in the day (America got some game shows based on the game), and is a good rep for edutainment games. Never got around to watching the Netflix show though.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Ditto here. In fact that's who I'm betting on for FP5 at this point.

Others that'd be surprising would be Dovahkiin, Sony rep and Travis Touchdown.

Then there's one of the more dark horse picks like John Marston or an GTA rep.
GTA is immensely popular in Japan among junior high to high school kids. Or was when V was popular.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
That's a pretty interesting moveset, the idea of temporarily 'stealing' the opponents special moves so they can't use use them is really unique.

And she got weirdly popular back in the day (America got some game shows based on the game), and is a good rep for edutainment games. Never got around to watching the Netflix show though.
Wait, she’s actually a game character?

WeirdSandwich

Smash Cadet
GTA is immensely popular in Japan among junior high to high school kids. Or was when V was popular.
GTA III was one of the most influential games of all time, so it would be cool to see the series get some representation in Smash. The problem is that the PC in GTA III is pretty boring and has no personality. Maybe Tommy Vercetti? But I would be satisfied with Spirits tbh.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Last edited:

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
Do you folks think there's any possibility we'll get another 1st Party character in Smash in a similar way to how we got Plant? Maybe an extra fighter on the end of the Fighter's Pass.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sakurai has a hard time with western developers. It’s pretty expected we don’t get any western characters.
And people said we'd never get:ultridley:because Sakurai said he's too big or :ultkrool:because he's too irrelevant or:ultbanjokazooie:because they're too 3rd party OR:ultcloud:never getting in because he's barely been on Nintendo consoles and seen more as an Playstation icon. Then there's the surprise that was:ultjoker:no one would had thought would had gotten in.

Look where we are now. Never say never. These fan made rules need to stop since Sakurai just keeps breaking them. So stop.

Last edited:

WeirdSandwich

Smash Cadet
Sakurai has a hard time with western developers. It’s pretty expected we don’t get any western characters.
Sakurai put Banjo in the game, and reached out to Grant Kirkhope to do a remix.

He even invited Toby Fox over to play Smash before adding a Sans costume and music.

There's no barriers to Western developers anymore.

D

Deleted member

With Ultimate, if a character becomes too viable, Sakurai and team can just nerf since this isn't the final character. Besides, Smash fans jump the gun regardless.

I mean, look at :ulthero: Hero. He's the most broken B-tier in the game. The horror.

D

Deleted member

Look where we are now. Never say never. These fan made rules need to stop since Sakurai just keeps breaking them. So stop.
Either they don't want other characters other than their most wanted, or basically didn't give thought into it. They're just skeptical due to the chances of how the other companies behave regarding Smash. We don't know if Sakurai can do the talking with both Disney and Square to get Sora. But does everybody know how Disney will react exactly? They haven't even asked yet and they assume Disney will open cans of worms.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
GTA III was one of the most influential games of all time, so it would be cool to see the series get some representation in Smash. The problem is that the PC in GTA III is pretty boring and has no personality. Maybe Tommy Vercetti? But I would be satisfied with Spirits tbh.
Tommy would be awesome but there is no way they'd be able to get Ray Liotta onboard especially when he supposedly had a dispute with Rockstar over his pay for Vice City. A similar thing happened with Niko's voice actor so he'd probably be out too.

If they went for a GTA character it'd probably be either CJ or Trevor since both of the San Andreas-based games are the most popular in the series.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sakurai put Banjo in the game, and reached out to Grant Kirkhope to do a remix.

He even invited Toby Fox over to play Smash before adding a Sans costume and music.

There's no barriers to Western developers anymore.
Tbf Toby was already in Japan by then
Unless the devs get more straight with balancing the game. To me, MkLeo's Joker run at EVO was one of the most skillful runs in Smash. He isn't winning everything, and there have been times when he lost, but needless to say, a DLC character that is viable, but locked behind a skill gap, is good enough for the meta. No wonder people stuck with Melee Fox after all these years.
MKLeo's just carried by the game he wouldn't be winning if he didn't play

osby

Smash Obsessed
Do you folks think there's any possibility we'll get another 1st Party character in Smash in a similar way to how we got Plant? Maybe an extra fighter on the end of the Fighter's Pass.
No, but there's no reason to assume we can only get first-party characters as bonuses.

There's a non-zero chance that FP5 will be a Nintendo owned fighter and if it isn't, there are still additional DLC. If Corrin can be a standalone purchase, so can a lot of other Nintendo characters.

WeirdSandwich

Smash Cadet
Tommy would be awesome but there is no way they'd be able to get Ray Liotta onboard especially when he supposedly had a dispute with Rockstar over his pay for Vice City. A similar thing happened with Niko's voice actor so he'd probably be out too.

If they went for a GTA character it'd probably be either CJ or Trevor since both of the San Andreas-based games are the most popular in the series.
Oh didn't know about the disputes. In that case, bring CJ in. Better to get some more POC representation anyway.

D

Deleted member

What would be your reactions if the character ends being catalyna from Grand blue and that old leak turns to be real all this Time?
It'd give me an excuse to check the series out.

Otherwise, I'd just laugh my ass off because Hitagi was right.
Okay, let's go back to actual speculation: What kind of potential non-fighter characters like Isabelle can bring an interesting moveset to Smash?

Is there any such characters you want and/or think are likely?
I mean, people want Phoenix Wright for a reason. Hell, even in UMvC3, he never directly punches someone. His uppercut move is literally just sneezing on you (and can you believe that's a reference to his games?)

Probably unlikely if the Capcom deconfirmation is anything to go by. I'd personally want a Naruhodou alt.

D

Deleted member

Okay, let's go back to actual speculation: What kind of potential non-fighter characters like Isabelle can bring an interesting moveset to Smash?

Is there any such characters you want and/or think are likely?
There’s two I really want, but don’t know if they are likely at all:

Pauline from Mario and the Baby Metroid.

I have quite some good ideas for the moveset of both.

D

Deleted member

Nah Zero only ever touched Diddy, I'm pretty sure one of the reasons he stopped playing was because he wasn't braindead anymore
Hey man, thinking's hard. I'm only here for the journey

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom