• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think are the chances that we may get two character reveals at the Game Awards (assuming there is a reveal there in the first place)? I'm going to guess a slim chance, but anything is possible.

D

Deleted member

What do you guys think are the chances that we may get two character reveals at the Game Awards (assuming there is a reveal there in the first place)? I'm going to guess a slim chance, but anything is possible.
I feel the chance exists.

Not sure how likely it would be, but there’s a chance for sure.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I bet it. Also, we must pay attention to the swtich games whenever there are two characters in one reveal.

Plank08

Smash Lord
In my experience, the best way to get other people to try the Ace Attorney series is not to emphasize its fantastic writing, characters, and problem solving...

...but to instead draw attention to just how funny it is.

Ace Attorney is one of the funniest game series you'll ever play. It won't necessarily make you laugh super hard all the time or anything, but all the laughter you'll get from the situations and words the characters say will be 100% genuine. The series' sharp wit has a very distinct identity shaped by how punchy certain jokes can be due to the way the game's text boxes are edited.

Did you ever play EarthBound? Remember how, in that game, text would have different speeds of crawling across the screen depending on the context, to draw attention to certain lines or to communicate a certain way of speaking? The way Ace Attorney operates its text boxes is like EarthBound taken even further beyond. LOTS of care is taken to making its already sharp writing hit you as hard as possible with the VERY precise and exact way the text shows up, in every scene in the game.

Of course, the game isn't "on" 100% of the time with its text boxes, so the punchiness never gets exhausting. As funny as Ace Attorney is, it's surprisingly restrained at times.

So, yeah. If you want a game series that will make you laugh, please check the Ace Attorney games out. What other Ace Attorney fans have said is accurate and true, but I wanted to draw attention to its comedy and how it's done in a very special and considered way. I hope this helps put the series onto your "I gotta play this soon instead of later" brain category, haha.
Dang it now I really want to play Ace Attorney, comedy is my weakness, I’ll try and get the trilogy while it’s still on sale, maybe give me even more of a want for Phoenix in smash

M@R!3

Smash Ace
I'm not about to assign any degree of chance to it, but a double reveal would be a good way to keep momentum going straight into the post pass content. The catch is we would probably see another six month drought for new fighter reveals if they do a double reveal unless the post pass characters are farther along than expected.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Whenever the next character is revealed, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got a double reveal. Terry's been out for almost a month; work on whoever the fifth fighter is must be pretty close to done.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
It's possible, but since we're likely not getting anything this week, I think they instead might want to save the first post-Pass character for a January Direct focusing on 2020 Switch titles.

Maybe at the Game Awards, Fighter 5 gets revealed, then we get a "Mewtwo as Smash 4 DLC"-style reveal and tease of the next character.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
At least we know FP5 has to be out by February. If we see the first post-pass character revealed expect a drought of Joker reveal to release proportions.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
It is bad that I'm on that spot where I'm genuinely hoping for someone to deconfirm Sora Hard, straight up Verge coming and saying "ahaha no Sora you idiot".

I shouldn't but I feel it.

A disturbance in the force.

I'm lowkey optimistic for Sora right now.

And even if it's not him, I'm sure FP5 will be amazing
Apart of me does kinda want either Vergeben or Sabi to just come out and rip the band-aid and not get me hopeful while going into next week. I'm also pretty lowkey optimistic for Sora, and the fact that no one hasn't said anything about him does make me hopeful that he could be pretty 50/50 of happening.

D

Deleted member

Whenever the next character is revealed, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got a double reveal. Terry's been out for almost a month; work on whoever the fifth fighter is must be pretty close to done.
The fact that it took them this long must be that the character is a really complex one to be precise.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The February thing is just a placeholder.
For all we know they could drop the character during the game awards.

Apart of me does kinda want either Vergeben or Sabi to just come out and rip the band-aid and not get me hopeful while going into next week. I'm also pretty lowkey optimistic for Sora, and the fact that no one hasn't said anything about him does make me hopeful that he could be pretty 50/50 of happening.
Same, man.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sora is the biggest 50-50 gamble of the week. Whether or not Nintendo negotiated will be the debate of the week should Sora be hypothetically be Fighter 5.

D

Deleted member

At least we know FP5 has to be out by February. If we see the first post-pass character revealed expect a drought of Joker reveal to release proportions.
Damn, that will be enough time for the community to invest themselves into this new content, should it be from another new universe.

cothero

Smash Lord
I think it can happen. I can see they announcing fighter #5 and then announcing (or teasing) fighter #1 from the second pass. It's possible.

KillerCage

Smash Master
So what does everyone really think? Think were getting our character(s) next week, sometime during this month or January? I'd be fine if it was the second but would prefer next week.

Still dreading the possibility of January.
I believe we WILL get a character at the Game Awards.
Can't believe it took me so long to figure otu the theme of the image is every character Ultimate has that 4 doesn't
I already mentioned that in an earlier post.
I would be surprised if we got two characters at The Game Awards considering we only got one last year.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
How come people are suspecting Phoenix Wright for Smash but not Apollo Justice? He’s just as cool, if not cooler. Phoenix is more well known, but that doesn’t make him better. And if Nintendo was planning on adding an Ace Attorney character to Smash, they’d want to throw us off. Similar to how people expected Erdrick for Smash, but we got Hero instead. They want to give the players characters they’ll want, but obviously don’t want them guessing all of the characters before the first few are even revealed. But if Phoenix is added instead of Apollo (if they were to be added in the first place), I think an alternate outfit would be the least they could do for Apollo.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Iconic is a pointless qualifier, it varies from person to person. There are some everyone will agree on, but on the other hand there are people who would've argued that Joker, Banjo, and/or Terry aren't iconic. Pre-inclusion of course, afterwards they strangely all seem to disappear. :p

And maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I don't think third-party inclusions are even concerned with such a thing anymore. First-party inclusions haven't been for many, many years. And even when they were a bit more about all-stars, there were still exceptions. As long as the character is prolific enough and can offer something interesting (in Sakurai's opinion) that seems to be sufficient.

Your time is better spent debating a less subjective, potentially meaningless term.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
How come people are suspecting Phoenix Wright for Smash but not Apollo Justice? He’s just as cool, if not cooler. Phoenix is more well known, but that doesn’t make him better. And if Nintendo was planning on adding an Ace Attorney character to Smash, they’d want to throw us off. Similar to how people expected Erdrick for Smash, but we got Hero instead. They want to give the players characters they’ll want, but obviously don’t want them guessing all of the characters before the first few are even revealed. But if Phoenix is added instead of Apollo (if they were to be added in the first place), I think an alternate outfit would be the least they could do for Apollo.
As a fan the only thing I can say is: That wouldn't make any sense tbh, is Phoenix Wright or nothing.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
Because Pheonix is the main character of the Ace Attorney games? There has never once been an addition of a series to the Smash roster where the first character added for said series wasn't the main character of said IP. Expecting that to change at this point is a pretty silly expectation to have five games into Smash as a series.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I think there is a chance but very low since I expect the post-Pass characters to be revealed around when Fighter 5 is out or close to release.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Iconic is a pointless qualifier, it varies from person to person. There are some everyone will agree on, but on the other hand there are people who would've argued that Joker, Banjo, and/or Terry aren't iconic. Pre-inclusion of course, afterwards they strangely all seem to disappear. :p

And maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I don't think third-party inclusions are even concerned with such a thing anymore. First-party inclusions haven't been for many, many years. And even when they were a bit more about all-stars, there were still exceptions. As long as the character is prolific enough and can offer something interesting (in Sakurai's opinion) that seems to be sufficient.

Your time is better spent debating a less subjective, potentially meaningless term.
One pattern we can find with the all the DLC from 4 and Ult, is that every character is either an icon of the franchise/game or the main, playable character. There are two exceptions to this: Plant and Mewtwo. Plant was meant to be base roster, I believe. As for Mewtwo, he is still extremely iconic but gets edged out by starters/other Pokemon. But he was also a returning character.

Until we get another DLC that breaks this pattern (especially from a 3rd party) I think it's safe to assume that the fighters need to hit this "you must be this tall to ride" mark.

Edit: I see that someone basically said this right about me.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Maybe if we'd had an Apollo trilogy (like we should've had), but considering Phoenix is the main protagonist of 5 of the 6 mainline games, plus the crossover, the anime, the movie, and of the spin-offs, two star a character from his trilogy and the other two star his identical ancestor... Yeah, it's obviously Phoenix.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I guess he’d be fine...:4pacman:

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
At most, Apollo Justice would get in as Phoenix Wright's Echo Fighter. He's not getting in as the "main" Ace Attorney rep instead of Phoenix. It'd be like if Smash had the Street Fighter series mainly represented by Alex from Street Fighter III.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Because Pheonix is the main character of the Ace Attorney games? There has never once been an addition of a series to the Smash roster where the first character added for said series wasn't the main character of said IP. Expecting that to change at this point is a pretty silly expectation to have five games into Smash as a series.
The only exceptions to this are when there isn't a main character, be it the main character changes each game (:ultcloud::ultjoker:) or it doesn't really have a single character in it (:ultgnw::ultrob:).

Apollo could be an alternate costume though. He does seem to be similar to Phoenix in how he carries himself.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The only exceptions to this are when there isn't a main character, be it the main character changes each game (:ultcloud::ultjoker:) or it doesn't really have a single character in it (:ultgnw::ultrob:).

Apollo could be an alternate costume though. He does seem to be similar to Phoenix in how he carries himself.
Or Terry, where everything about his representation screams KOF but he's not KOF's protagonist.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
That brings up a fun game: What do you envision your favorite character's reveal trailer as the fifth fighter looking like.
I always liked the idea of opening on the vast, empty Battlefield-esque wasteland. Everything's still...then Joker leaps out of nowhere, dashing toward an unseen foe. He's quickly joined by the Luminary, then Banjo and Kazooie, and finally Terry, all in gorgeous CG. They're dodging green tendrils.

Camera whips over to show an enormous Piranha Plant, attacking the four fighters with its vines. It has an aura of darkness surrounding it, and behind it are the frozen statues of the base roster.

In one shot, the camera moves from one character to the next, each utilizing their own unique moves (Joker summons Arsene, Luminary fires a few choice spells, Banjo fires a few eggs from Kazooie before charging forward with Wonderwing, Terry just pummels a few vines with Buster Wolf, etc).

Eventually, in a scene mimicking the opening of World of Light, the vines overpower the heroes. They each struggle to escape. The giant Plant spits out an evil laugh.

Then...a tiny shimmer in the sky. A falling star begins descending, quickly. A tiny, bright object PIERCES Plants head like a magical bullet. The Plant loses its grip on the four fighters and collapses to the ground, stunned. The DLC fighters help each other up before looking in the direction of their newest ally: Geno.

After the brief gameplay montage, the now five DLC fighters turn their attention back to the giant Plant, which has regained its composure and is ready for round 2. A new, triumphant instrumental rendition of Lifelight begins playing as Joker, Hero, Banjo, Terry, and Geno all rush into battle with newfound confidence.

Obviously, Geno is interchangeable with literally any other character. I just really like the idea of the last Fighters Pass trailer being a sort of celebration of the game's DLC, and seeing them all interacting together like that would just bring a big ol' smile on my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom