• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
This pic pretty much describes where we are at right now in speculation! If anymore characters or even companies get deconfirmed, then we are in a complete lost as to whoever this character is!

Nintendo may have actually stumped us!View attachment 249277
Amaterasu is missing under possibilities. I know most people think Phoenix Wright is the automatic too choice for a Capcom rep but Ammy is still in this.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I don't really care about typing, but I am tired of starters. It's more so because of how the Smash fanbase treats them like the only viable options, but still.

Another Legendary alongside Mewtwo would be great. That's one of the reasons why I'd love to see Zacian or Zamazenta.
Yeah, I want more Jigglypuff or Mewtwo style picks, especially since I'm not too big on any of the Gen 8 starters tbh. I'd love the two legendary dogs, but I think something like Toxitricity would be amazing too. Unfortunately, Gen 8 just came out, so it's anyone's guess as to which Galarian Pokemon would be added.
Plant is probably the first Smash character I did a double take on their reveal. After the shock wore off I was a bit salty for like, I dunno, five minutes or so and then I got over it. It helps that the characters I wanted got disconfirmed before the November direct and I watched the direct with the expectation that Ken and Incineroar were all what we're getting. I sometimes still wonder what the **** Sakurai was smoking that made him come up with this character idea.
Honestly my issue with PP is that his dev time could've been spent on one of the last remaining Nintendo icons. Something like Bandana Dee, Dixie, Toad or Waluigi even. Heck, if those four got in and then PP I think he would've been a funny joke pick. His timing was really awkward, and it will be even more awkward if we don't end up having another first party pick for DLC. At least his moveset is inventive. Remember, if Sakurai can think of a moveset for some generic baddie, he'd probably come up with a moveset for pratically anything.
I don't want another Pokemon rep because we're not going to get Salamence! Salamence would be amazing!
Aaaaah I know right? Salamence is one of my personal favs. I'm surprised they never attempted to add any pseudo-legends, considering how they often tend to be some of the more popular Pokemon.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Amaterasu is missing under possibilities. I know most people think Phoenix Wright is the automatic too choice for a Capcom rep but Ammy is still in this.
I'd put Amaterasu under risky possibilities, personally.

She is absolutely possible, I'm not denying that, but compared to Ace Attorney, a series that's still goin' strong to this day, Okami just doesn't have the same level of support from Capcom.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Pokémon... am I the only one who wanted some Trainer Spirits too? Like, the Champions of each region, some Gym Leaders and such?

No idea how it would work mechanically, but... I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss their presence.
The Pokemon spirits are so weird. I bet the reason the trainers have no alt artwork is because they used the inferior Dream World art for all the Pokemon, but the Sw/Sh spirits use the Sugimori art so what's up with that?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I still say if they do another Pokemon rep, it should not just be another standard Pokemon.
Cover the side series.
Yu-Gi-Oh! it up with a TCG character.
Give us Todd with Pesterballs and a camera.
etc,
How would you implement the Pokemon Trading Card Game as a playable fighter? As someone who plays it, I don't really think it could be done. At most, you could give a Pokemon an attack from it, but even that would be difficult. Take Mew, for instance. it's most notable gimmick in the TCG is that it can copy the attacks of other Pokemon. How do you implement that?

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I don't really care about typing, but I am tired of starters. It's more so because of how the Smash fanbase treats them like the only viable options, but still.

Another Legendary alongside Mewtwo would be great. That's one of the reasons why I'd love to see Zacian or Zamazenta.
Pokeball aside, Meloetta, Deoxys, or Arceus would have been my picks for mythical/legendaries if we had to get a new, standard-implementation, Pokemon.

Only reason why I see people are deconfirming her already is because TGA's are coming soon and a lot of people assume she won't be #5 since it's a Western event.

It seems flimsy IMO but it'd be funny if she was revealed then.
"Reimu is too niche and obscure!"
>Reveals Fab from Lunatic Fantasy.

The only way I would accept a new Pokemon is if all of its attacks were nothing but quick little hops with no animations to them whatsoever. Would be the most hilarious accuracy Smash has or ever will see.
I actually kind of want this now. Digitized cries and hilariously bad turning animation too. >_>

How would you implement the Pokemon Trading Card Game as a playable fighter? As someone who plays it, I don't really think it could be done. At most, you could give a Pokemon an attack from it, but even that would be difficult. Take Mew, for instance. it's most notable gimmick in the TCG is that it can copy the attacks of other Pokemon. How do you implement that?
Like I said in my other post, take a lot of creative liberties to that it plays like a (fictionalized) Yu-Gi-Oh! duel with the creatures actually being summoned to do an attack. The player would be a guy(or girl) with a deck. From there you could generate a mechanic around drawing to get support cards and energy (though maybe not, since I know everyone will flip their **** about RNG again).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, I want more Jigglypuff or Mewtwo style picks, especially since I'm not too big on any of the Gen 8 starters tbh. I'd love the two legendary dogs, but I think something like Toxitricity would be amazing too. Unfortunately, Gen 8 just came out, so it's anyone's guess as to which Galarian Pokemon would be added.

Honestly my issue with PP is that his dev time could've been spent on one of the last remaining Nintendo icons. Something like Bandana Dee, Dixie, Toad or Waluigi even. Heck, if those four got in and then PP I think he would've been a funny joke pick. His timing was really awkward, and it will be even more awkward if we don't end up having another first party pick for DLC. At least his moveset is inventive. Remember, if Sakurai can think of a moveset for some generic baddie, he'd probably come up with a moveset for pratically anything.

Aaaaah I know right? Salamence is one of my personal favs. I'm surprised they never attempted to add any pseudo-legends, considering how they often tend to be some of the more popular Pokemon.
To be fair Pseudos are typically late game additions so I can imagine Sakurai feeling it'd be poor to represent a Pokemon generation by adding one you'll likely only get if you're already at the final stretch, the complete opposite of the RPG characters. Come to think about it it's probably why we've gotten the starters, cause you get them right off the gate

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
i
This thread is basically an anti fan requested character echo chamber.

Well that and "leaker" worship.
I really wish people would talk more about how certain characters would be fun, how they could be implemented, potential movesets, thread game and activities, etc.

D

Deleted member

Good morning everyone.

I see that no significant progress has happened for quite some time.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The only way I would accept a new Pokemon is if all of its attacks were nothing but quick little hops with no animations to them whatsoever. Would be the most hilarious accuracy Smash has or ever will see.
It's Final Smash just displaces the model and effects go off, but for some reason the Down Smash has the slickest animation you've ever seen.

As much as I would love her, the only way Amaterasu is getting in is pure bias. I just don't think it's going to happen for a while.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The Pokemon spirits are so weird. I bet the reason the trainers have no alt artwork is because they used the inferior Dream World art for all the Pokemon, but the Sw/Sh spirits use the Sugimori art so what's up with that?
Ah, glad to see a fellow Pokéfan of culture.

Again, I've no idea how Spirit battles would even work - maybe pair them together with trainers, like making the Garchomp battle "Cynthia & Garchomp" instead or whatever? I know the Pokémon are a bigger point than the trainers and that they don't fight, but wow, is their absence felt... I guess that's why I can sympathize with people who want a MH playable character.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'm just glad to see that the new Capcom frontrunners for FP5 are fantastic and unique choices! A cool lawyer and a fun goddess that attacks with a magic paintbrush? Sign me up!

Fire Emblem owes its revival to having good marketing, becoming more accessible and allowing players to explore more in the way of character interactions in one playthrough. Saying it's a success because of waifus or "it's a dating sim" is reductionist and ignores the fact that actual dating sims and otaku games are still really niche because the market for that isn't big at all.
they are mad that it is the future
True that people do oversimplify things and refuse to look at the whole picture (I've been in a similar situation as well. I'm an Elder Scrolls fan who loves Skyrim, yet a lot of veteran fans (especially Morrowind fans) hated Skyrim and it's an awful situation to deal with when conversing with other fans. Both Skyrim and Awakening are well known for bringing a lot of new people to their respective series.), but there are also a lot of people, including fans of the classics, that don't like the new direction the games took. After watching my friend play some of the classics I can see why the new direction was so disliked. Furthermore I dislike the general "holier than thou" attitude of a lot of people in the Modern FE/Xenoblade/Persona/Platinum Games "aristocrisy" that this community has, and the attitude that it's okay to look down upon "discount cereal mascots" like Banjo and Crash, while it is considered bigotry and close-minded to not care for Edelgard or Joker. Everyone has different tastes, but one shouldn't be considered more esteemed or elevated over the other.

Honestly that future sounds ****ish.

Also, man, Hayabusa's really had it rough when it comes to speculation.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
No clue. The starters and the Legendaries have Dream World art, but it wasn't used.

s-l400.jpg

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
i

I really wish people would talk more about how certain characters would be fun, how they could be implemented, potential movesets, thread game and activities, etc.
We tried but nobody bothers cause nobody pays attention to that, otherwise we'd be talking about Crash being at his best if he's able to recognize what his opponents can do due to Crash's pattern recognition based level design or Sol being the maddest of lads by going hyper on the offence, Resident Evil essentially being Hero but without RNG due to the survival mechanics from Resident Evil, Doomslayer being a glass cannon with outstanding mobility, etc

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Haha... funny story about the "Sugimori" art in Smash. It's not Sugimori, at least last time I checked. He didn't really do anything in Sword and Shield; I think the art may actually belong to Yusuke Ohmori, but I could be wrong about that. As to why they just now used the standard artwork for the Pokemon though, is beyond me. Apparently it may have something to do with copyright, but I know absolutely nothing about any of that stuff.

Pokemon Trainer spirits could easily just be represented by having a notable trainer who owns one of the Pokemon possess one. Ex: Cynthia possessing Lucario, Red possessing Pikachu... The undefeated Champion Leon possessing his undefeated Charizard and so on. Again though, Gens 3 and 5 are missing out, so trainers like Steven or N are probably gonna be MIA unless they do something with the Pokeballs.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
No clue. The starters and the Legendaries have Dream World art, but it wasn't used.
Thank God.

In the same vein of the other post, one Pokémon addition I would have liked is a stage or a few Spirits based on the spinoffs. I think all we got were the Pokémon Stadiums and the Detective Pikachu Spirit.

Come on, give us Mystery Dungeon or Rangers content, Nintendo...

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Platinum Games "aristocrisy"
The only Platinum Games game that I've seen people criticize was Devil May Cry 2 (They were still Clover studios at the time but still). How does that exist?

I thought the Dream World hadn't been a thing since Pokémon Black 2/White 2...

Also, if we get the Battle Tower theme from Pokémon Sword and Shield then I hope it's remixed so that it actually sounds like it came from the Pokémon series and not Undertale.

D

Deleted member

Again though, Gens 3 and 5 are missing out, so trainers like Steven or N are probably gonna be MIA unless they do something with the Pokeballs.
Zoroark's a Pokeball, so N could be uh...Robin(?) who spawns with a Zoroark Pokeball and would be fought on Unova League. Not entirely accurate, but it's something. Steven could work similarly sense Metagross is also a Pokeball.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The only Platinum Games game that I've seen people criticize was Devil May Cry 2 (They were still Clover studios at the time but still). How does that exist?

I thought the Dream World hadn't been a thing since Pokémon Black 2/White 2...

Also, if we get the Battle Tower theme from Pokémon Sword and Shield then I hope it's remixed so that it actually sounds like it came from the Pokémon series and not Undertale.
Because people cannot forget DMC2 like how we forgot Korra and TMNT. The budget issues explain those, DMC2's development was a mess from what I understand

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
i

I mean I would but this thread seems really disinterested in that kind of talk lol.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If we do get a Galar Pokemon, I hope we get a stage to go with it. Not for the stage itself, but just so we're sure to get a lot of music to go with it.

The soundtrack NEEDS to be in Ultimate.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I'd put Amaterasu under risky possibilities, personally.

She is absolutely possible, I'm not denying that, but compared to Ace Attorney, a series that's still goin' strong to this day, Okami just doesn't have the same level of support from Capcom.
Besides Amaterasu, I think both Sol Badguy and Ragna the Bloodedge should be under possibilities, possibly under risky possibilities.
Both of them are owned by Arc System Works who are still in the running of getting a character into Smash.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Haha... funny story about the "Sugimori" art in Smash. It's not Sugimori, at least last time I checked. He didn't really do anything in Sword and Shield; I think the art may actually belong to Yusuke Ohmori, but I could be wrong about that. As to why they just now used the standard artwork for the Pokemon though, is beyond me. Apparently it may have something to do with copyright, but I know absolutely nothing about any of that stuff.

Pokemon Trainer spirits could easily just be represented by having a notable trainer who owns one of the Pokemon possess one. Ex: Cynthia possessing Lucario, Red possessing Pikachu... The undefeated Champion Leon possessing his undefeated Charizard and so on. Again though, Gens 3 and 5 are missing out, so trainers like Steven or N are probably gonna be MIA unless they do something with the Pokeballs.
Maybe a way to solve this would have been to make most Pokéball Pokémon defeatable like ATs and make these battles just... against them. Like, the "trainer" is invincible and the Pokémon don't leave after some time like normal, you have to defeat them to win.

The same principle could have been applied to a few of the ATs, maybe.

So, Newcomer Speculation... I really hope Capcom doesn't get Thanos'd Vergeben'd now because of Phoenix. But if that happens, then whoever #5 is, it's gonna catch us all off guard - whether because it's someone we aren't talking about enough or because it's one of the characters we believe to be disconfirmed at this point.

One thing though... is Activision/Blizzard still alive? Or did they get shot too?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Maybe a way to solve this would have been to make most Pokéball Pokémon defeatable like ATs and make these battles just... against them. Like, the "trainer" is invincible and the Pokémon don't leave after some time like normal, you have to defeat them to win.

The same principle could have been applied to a few of the ATs, maybe.

So, Newcomer Speculation... I really hope Capcom doesn't get Thanos'd Vergeben'd now because of Phoenix. But if that happens, then whoever #5 is, it's gonna catch us all off guard - whether because it's someone we aren't talking about enough or because it's one of the characters we believe to be disconfirmed at this point.

One thing though... is Activision/Blizzard still alive? Or did they get shot too?
Two individual characters of theirs were deconfirmed, Crash and Tracer respectively, but not the companies as a whole

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It makes sense that when it came to representing Pokemon they focused on the Pokemon themselves and not trainers. Spirit slots aren't unlimited; they need to say "OK, this is good enough" at some point. I think it's similar to why there are relatively few - or no - enemies from franchises like EarthBound or Xenoblade. They want to focus on the beloved main cast from those games. It's probably what lead to the weird exclusions like Ado (another painter? after Paintroller, Vince, etc?), Porky (why include the final boss when so few franchises get to?), Sylux (oh right, there were 6 hunters, weren't there?).

Trainer Spirits should probably try to recreate a Pokemon battle though, so a stamina match against multiple opponents in a row would work, with a shared weakness. Like Brock is a weight-increased team of Geodude (Little Mac) and Onix (Snake) with a weakness to water.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
We tried but nobody bothers cause nobody pays attention to that, otherwise we'd be talking about Crash being at his best if he's able to recognize what his opponents can do due to Crash's pattern recognition based level design or Sol being the maddest of lads by going hyper on the offence, Resident Evil essentially being Hero but without RNG due to the survival mechanics from Resident Evil, Doomslayer being a glass cannon with outstanding mobility, etc
I mean we're technically doing so by having this lengthy Pokemon rep discussion, hehe.
Thank God.

In the same vein of the other post, one Pokémon addition I would have liked is a stage or a few Spirits based on the spinoffs. I think all we got were the Pokémon Stadiums and the Detective Pikachu Spirit.

Come on, give us Mystery Dungeon or Rangers content, Nintendo...
If only The Pokemon Company allows it, and you know how they feel about those games now, lol.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I wouldn't mind sharing some ideas about how certain characters could be incorporated into Smash while perfectly representing their home series, but going in depth with a wall of text on mobile isn't very fun. :/

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Two individual characters of theirs were deconfirmed, Crash and Tracer respectively, but not the companies as a whole
I see. So Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo are still among the "crazy picks that could happen" group then?

It makes sense that when it came to representing Pokemon they focused on the Pokemon themselves and not trainers. Spirit slots aren't unlimited; they need to say "OK, this is good enough" at some point. I think it's similar to why there are relatively few - or no - enemies from franchises like EarthBound or Xenoblade. They want to focus on the beloved main cast from those games. It's probably what lead to the weird exclusions like Ado (another painter? after Paintroller, Vince, etc?), Porky (why include the final boss when so few franchises get to?), Sylux (oh right, there were 6 hunters, weren't there?).

Trainer Spirits should probably try to recreate a Pokemon battle though, so a stamina match against multiple opponents in a row would work, with a shared weakness. Like Brock is a weight-increased team of Geodude (Little Mac) and Onix (Snake) with a weakness to water.
Oh, I'm aware the slots aren't unlimited, especially for base game - there's only so much they could do. That's why I suggested joining a trainer with a Pokémon and just tweak the conditions of the original battle a little bit, to prevent cuts or overwork.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
i

I feel like that kind of discussion only really happens in support threads rather than the speculation thread because the focus of this thread changes at the drop of dime due to the nature of the thread.

I was working on a long post explaining how Professor Layton could be implemented and how his move set might be, but it's kind of hard to keep motivated when he is very likely not going to show up for character #5. Supporting characters can be draining, no one wants to raise their hopes or put in the effort to promote them if they feel like it's all going to be for naught.

That said it's not all gloom and doom, I'll probably get back to writing my post after Character #5 is revealed since post pass in a new horizon.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Reminder that sora and kratos were already deconfirmed by their developers.
Not sure about Kratos, but Sora is actually still in the running.
Because people cannot forget DMC2 like how we forgot Korra and TMNT. The budget issues explain those, DMC2's development was a mess from what I understand
DMC2 had a director change during development, and by the time Hideaki Itsuno took over as director, the game was in a nigh-unplayable state. So Itsuno had to finish the game in six months in order to it at least somewhat presentable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom