• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Garchomp would actually be the coolest.
Garchomp is legendary. Also wouldn't mind any of the new evolutions Gen 4 introduced like Magmortar and Togekiss. That was the coolest part of that gen's selection.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I'd be down with pretty much any Pokemon, but I prioritize Pokemon who either have a type not represented in Smash, or a gen not represented in Smash.
Gen 3/5 bros where you at? T_T

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I still say if they do another Pokemon rep, it should not just be another standard Pokemon.
Cover the side series.
Yu-Gi-Oh! it up with a TCG character.
Give us Todd with Pesterballs and a camera.
etc,

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
A real shame that malicious boycott thing didn't work out.
I'm just upset at the sheer amounts of missed potential each game has.
EDIT: I don't want the series to fail, and I highly doubt a boycott would actually get the Pokémon Company to allow Gamefreak some breathing room on the next gen games. I just know that they could and should be better.

I'd be down with pretty much any Pokemon, but I prioritize Pokemon who either have a type not represented in Smash, or a gen not represented in Smash.
Don't worry. I have it on good authority that Cryogonal will be the next DLC character.

I still say if they do another Pokemon rep, it should not just be another standard Pokemon.
Cover the side series.
Bebe does her research!

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
A lofty generalization would be saying that everyone who didnt like Hero or Terry is a Banjo fan.

Instead of actually being asked to back that claim up, people would rather call the guy holding a mirror up to that kind of thinking a troll.
And I can see that, too. From another perspective, one thing to remember is that these sorts of things are anecdotal, so personal experience can differ from poster to poster. Personally, as someone who over all likes Banjo and Kazooie's Smash implementation, I can say from experience that the Banjo thread got pretty insufferable at times with many posters trashing other characters and additions. I agree that people shouldn't make sweeping generalizations about fanbases because of one thread, but I can also see how that being potentially their only experience with the Banjo fanbase could color their view. Bigger support bases tend to be louder, and when they're louder, the ones that are jerks will have their voices amplified, even if they're a minority. That kinda thing.

I'm probably just rambling at this point though. Hope it was coherent enough.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Cover the side series.
Give us Todd with Pesterballs and a camera.
etc,
The Pokemon Trainer is one of my favorite Smash characters concept wise. There's so many ways you could do a character like that, plus you get to represent the trainer which is seldom seen in Smash. The downside, however, is that it's a balancing nightmare so no wonder we have yet to see another version of that character, from Pokemon or otherwise.

D

Deleted member

Lmao man why people have to bash on fanbases? Really hurts to see people attack Banjo fans when like one dude is trolling. I liked Joker and Hero and Terry, so maybe don't start vilifying large groups of people?
I'm of the same mind as you but at the same time I have to admit there's a pretty big concentration of toxicity in the Banjo fanbase for one reason or another so I can see why the view of it might not be so pleasant. I ended up leaving the Banjo Discord because of it because frankly it's not the kind of atmosphere I want to be around.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Speaking for myself, Fire Emblem benefits from having actual protagonists, so everyone generally can agree that they're the right way to represent the game.

With Pokemon, the sheer variety can basically lead to any Pokemon becoming popular, but I think people have become disenchanted with that franchise's representation because it has lately been arbitrarily restricted to starter final evolutions with no regards to popularity. Also from what I've heard people are tired of starters always ending up anthropomorphic.

Basically, if you were to rep Three Houses, we'd get a cool whip-sword user, while if we got a Sword and Shield rep, it would be an anthropomorphic grass, fire, or water-type, and we've got the latter two already.
I don't know what to say to those people except that they're giving up too easily if Greninja and Incineroar is all it takes for them to think starters are the only Pokemon with a chance. Greninja (2013) was the first starter Pokemon who got in on his own merit and not because of some transformation gimmick tied to the human protagonist.

Yeah, we could end up getting Cinderace or Intelleon, but that's not guaranteed. Might as well support who you like.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Unova and Hoenn are my favorite regions but they were also the two skipped over for a character. RIP.

KillerCage

Smash Master
What did I miss?

This pic pretty much describes where we are at right now in speculation! If anymore characters or even companies get deconfirmed, then we are in a complete lost as to whoever this character is!

Nintendo may have actually stumped us!View attachment 249277
I think you should include the Arc System Works Logo in the possibilities section.
Also both Nightmare and Heihachi are out since Vergeben deconfirmed all of Namco-Bandai.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
A Pokemon should really be DLC. With a cast of like 900 unique creatures, it's obvious that a number of Pokemon, both new and old, would be sick fighters. A Pokemon trainer like Cynthia or Marnie would be even better, as those would bring the most characters.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
The Pokemon Trainer is one of my favorite Smash characters concept wise. There's so many ways you could do a character like that, plus you get to represent the trainer which is seldom seen in Smash. The downside, however, is that it's a balancing nightmare so no wonder we have yet to see another version of that character, from Pokemon or otherwise.
I doubt they would want to revisit that again (though I'd actually like to see a similar concept for other series if they did), so I was thinking they could take liberties with a TCG rep and have them summon individual Pokemon or trainers from their card for each move.
This would have the added benefit of allowing you to rep a large number of Pokemon across multiple generations in one fighter.

Or they could go with a trainer that has one partner Pokemon that sticks with them ala Let's Go! or Pokemon Yellow. Both the trainer and the Pokemon would be part of the moveset.

Or just throw out Candela or Spark from Pokemon Go and let them hit things?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm of the same mind as you but at the same time I have to admit there's a pretty big concentration of toxicity in the Banjo fanbase for one reason or another so I can see why the view of it might not be so pleasant. I ended up leaving the Banjo Discord because of it because frankly it's not the kind of atmosphere I want to be around.
I haven't ever been on the Banjo thread, but if all the toxicity a fanbase has is contained within their thread, then I honestly don't see the reason for the complaints.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't really care about typing, but I am tired of starters. It's more so because of how the Smash fanbase treats them like the only viable options, but still.

Another Legendary alongside Mewtwo would be great. That's one of the reasons why I'd love to see Zacian or Zamazenta.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Why is Reimu "assumed deconfirmed"? She has nothing either for or against her.
Only reason why I see people are deconfirming her already is because TGA's are coming soon and a lot of people assume she won't be #5 since it's a Western event.

It seems flimsy IMO but it'd be funny if she was revealed then.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Plant is probably the first Smash character I did a double take on their reveal. After the shock wore off I was a bit salty for like, I dunno, five minutes or so and then I got over it. It helps that the characters I wanted got disconfirmed before the November direct and I watched the direct with the expectation that Ken and Incineroar were all what we're getting. I sometimes still wonder what the **** Sakurai was smoking that made him come up with this character idea.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Don't worry. I have it on good authority that Cryogonal will be the next DLC character.

Bebe does her research!
Type not represented in Smash? Check. Gen not represented in Smash? Also check. I'm more of a Chandelure chick, but hey; anything for a Gen 5 rep am I right guys?
I just realized if Sakurai really wanted to, he could've added a random Cryagonal or Chandelure... I mean he has the models after all. FeelsBadMan
Unova and Hoenn are my favorite regions but they were also the two skipped over for a character. RIP.
I have spotted a fellow man of culture.
I doubt they would want to revisit that again (though I'd actually like to see a similar concept for other series if they did), so I was thinking they could take liberties with a TCG rep and have them summon individual Pokemon or trainers from their card for each move.
This would have the added benefit of allowing you to rep a large number of Pokemon across multiple generations in one fighter.

Or they could go with a trainer that has one partner Pokemon that sticks with them ala Let's Go! or Pokemon Yellow. Both the trainer and the Pokemon would be part of the moveset.

Or just throw out Candela or Spark from Pokemon Go and let them hit things?
ooooo Maybe we can get a PMD or a Pokemon Ranger rep? Eeeeven though both of those franchises are dormant. Rip :<

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't want another Pokemon rep because we're not going to get Salamence! Salamence would be amazing!

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention that ARMS was released even earlier than Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and didn't even get an apology. Rex got more than he deserved plenty.
It's not Sakurai's fault that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is way better than ARMS. I own both games and played the latter for...I don't know...about 150 hours less than the former. I understand that XC2 is a JRPG, so it has substantially more content, but I couldn't get in to ARMS. I wanted to support Nintendo's newest IP, so I took the $60 plunge. I wish I waited. It would be a great Black Friday purchase. The concept was awesome, the characters were great, and the gameplay was fun-ish, but it doesn't even hold a candle to XC2 (which also has its flaws...like the fact that there are incredible characters stuck with GameCube-level mannequin animations rather than having decent, modern-day mocap).

I initially wanted Spring Man and Ribbon Girl playable, but I think they are great as Mii costumes (and he is great as an assist trophy). Rex and Pyra/Mythra, on the other hand, definitely deserve (yes, deserve) to be playable characters.

Sorry, not sorry.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Nope. Just memeing Fire Emblem and Pokemon.
I see. Nothing too special. I'm surprised I haven't played Three Houses or Sword/Shield yet.
This pic pretty much describes where we are at right now in speculation! If anymore characters or even companies get deconfirmed, then we are in a complete lost as to whoever this character is!

Nintendo may have actually stumped us!View attachment 249277
Problem with this graphic:
  • Reimu hasn't been deconfirmed... yet.
  • Nightmare and Heihachi are Bandai-Namco characters, so that company won't have a rep as FP #5.

CureParfait

Smash Ace

Chief, Sora, or Kratos is what the VGAs neeeeeeds
I thought Heihachi and Nightmare were also deconfirmed due to the Fighter 5 isn't Namco thing. Also there is nothing that indicates that Reimu is deconfirmed.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Raymoo has two things going for her that I rarely see mentioned: home turf advantage (being Japanese and all) and over 2 decades of history (whereas most indies' popularity is a lot more ephemeral). Is that enough to warrant a playable spot? Who knows

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think you got that mixed up.

All of the Joker fans stopped caring about speculation after we got Joker. That doesn't seem to be the case with Banjo fans.
Sauce? Or are we just basing our assumptions of the many based on the few... again?

And I can see that, too. From another perspective, one thing to remember is that these sorts of things are anecdotal, so personal experience can differ from poster to poster. Personally, as someone who over all likes Banjo and Kazooie's Smash implementation, I can say from experience that the Banjo thread got pretty insufferable at times with many posters trashing other characters and additions. I agree that people shouldn't make sweeping generalizations about fanbases because of one thread, but I can also see how that being potentially their only experience with the Banjo fanbase could color their view. Bigger support bases tend to be louder, and when they're louder, the ones that are jerks will have their voices amplified, even if they're a minority. That kinda thing.

I'm probably just rambling at this point though. Hope it was coherent enough.
I think you said it better. I left a few character support threads here (not gonna name them, not worth it) because I felt some people were being too toxic. Doesn't mean I stopped supporting these characters or that I now think fans are ***** because of that one bad experience. It's fair to acknowledge these things, but if we can be better than that and not hold a grudge... then yeah. There's more than enough snark on this website.

As far as the BK fans go now... most reactions to Terry I've seen, even when not favorable, were more on the lines of "eh, whatever, I got Banjo". I see zero reason for people to be pissed by that.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay but I'm just saying, I'd love it if somehow, against all odds, Falinks made it in.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Raymoo has two things going for her that I rarely see mentioned: home turf advantage (being Japanese and all) and over 2 decades of history (whereas most indies' popularity is a lot more ephemeral). Is that enough to warrant a playable spot? Who knows
It puts her leagues above other Indie characters and unless we get an AT/Spirit to Playable upgrade down the line, she's one of the very few Indie reps I can see with a viable chance, the other being Quote.

Watch as I say that and then we get an Off-the-wall Indie rep like Jacket or Meat Boy or something to completely turn our heads.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't really care about typing, but I am tired of starters. It's more so because of how the Smash fanbase treats them like the only viable options, but still.

Another Legendary alongside Mewtwo would be great. That's one of the reasons why I'd love to see Zacian or Zamazenta.
I feel like the starters are always picked because they are chosen way too early in development, and the starter designs are the best at conveying a motif.

It'd be interesting to see some Pokémon as echo fighters like Gardevoir as Zelda's echo fighter or something.

EDIT: For unique fighters, I want the next one to be Arceus. I have no idea why since I don't care for it normally, but I want it in Smash.

(which also has its flaws...like the fact that there are incredible characters stuck with GameCube-level mannequin animations rather than having decent, modern-day mocap).
Not all good animation has been mo-capped. (See: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)

Ok but I want Antasma's boss theme in Smash. Dream Team was my first MLRPG and that ****ing theme floored me when I heard it
A dream world stage would be awesome.

Okay but I'm just saying, I'd love it if somehow, against all odds, Falinks made it in.
Is that one of the new buggy ones?

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
The only way I would accept a new Pokemon is if all of its attacks were nothing but quick little hops with no animations to them whatsoever. Would be the most hilarious accuracy Smash has or ever will see.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Well, uhhh... not quite that many anymore.
Bro that was mad funny I forgot about Dexit my bad man.

Seriously though, if Sakurai wants a Pokemon as a fighter, even if they're not in Sword and Shield, he'll put them in. I doubt Game Freak would even have a problem with it. They're still using culled Pokemon in merchandising and other games.

D

Deleted member

The only way I would accept a new Pokemon is if all of its attacks were nothing but quick little hops with no animations to them whatsoever. Would be the most hilarious accuracy Smash has or ever will see.
I think you mean it would be the highest quality animation Smash has ever seen.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Speaking of Pokémon... am I the only one who wanted some Trainer Spirits too? Like, the Champions of each region, some Gym Leaders and such?

No idea how it would work mechanically, but... I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss their presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom