• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
No joke, sometime this week I was having a peaceful talk on a YouTube livestream about movies.

But the moment I said "I like Frozen 2 quite a lot" I got shamed by everyone and compared to a 12 years old girl.

The internet does suck a bit.
Man, what's wrong with 12-year-old girls anyhow? What are they implying?

I don't like how the internet talks down to girls. Once you notice it you can never not notice it, it's upsetting and sad.

D

Deleted member

I have to wonder if one day we will be able to move on from Corrin discussion or FE success being derived from Smash, we have been doing this for a while and like it or not Corrin is in the game and Fire Emblem is successful by its own merits just like a few franchises in the game are not as successful despite being in the game.

D

Deleted member

Man, what's wrong with 12-year-old girls anyhow? What are they implying?

I don't like how the internet talks down to girls. Once you notice it you can never not notice it, it's upsetting and sad.
Indeed.

The internet can be too shady.

Thankfully this site is actually cool.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Corrin is my favorite Fire Emblem character in the game right now. Idgaf about Fate's writing when I hold A to chainsaw into forward smash into the let's do this taunt. Smash Corrin is fun af.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The reason nobody complained about Rex being a 25 buck costume is because nobody likes Rex, if you liked XB2 he wasn't the reason why
I liked XB2 and I liked Rex. He can feel a bit 'stupid' and acts like a kid sometimes at the beginning, but that's part of his arc and his evolution as a character. At the end of the game he's more much mature. You can like him or not and his development isn't perfect, but he clearly changes across the game.

I was making fun of it because it drastically changed in the 2010’s.
It's not really hard to make a pattern of it to be honest.

Every FE pre-Awakening had no self-insert unit who could date your other units: let's just say they didn't have impressive sales
Awakening: had self-insert unit who could date your other units. Success.
Fates: had self-insert unit who could date your other units. Success.
Echoes: had no self-insert unit who could date your other units. Flop.
Three Houses: had self-insert unit who could date your other units. Success.
Sorry, but I would never understand all of this. I wouldn't deny that this feature maybe helped a bit in order to boost Fire Emblem popularity, but nothing more. Because calling or thinking all Fire Emblem games post-Awakening are almost a waifu simulator seems to me like a great distortion of reality.
Yeah, units can date each other in Awakening, but it's not like they're like that in all the support conversations. Usually that only happens when 2 units reach A or S rank of support. Same for other FE games like Three Houses. In the end that part of the games are, at best, a 5% or 10% of the game.

Seriously. I like the games pre and post-Awakening in general, and when I see people saying Awakening sold well because "waifus" I can't help to think that they're simply gatekeeping fans according to what they believe Fire Emblem is. You can dislike new entries if you have your reasons, but calling Awakening or Three Houses "waifu simulator games" is simply ridiculous.

Also, I should say that your pattern isn't correct, at least to me. Shadows of Valentia suffered from a few things:
- It was a remake from a not really popular entry of the franchise outside the hardcore fans.
- It was released after Switch launch when 3DS was almost dying. Samus Returns didn't sold incredibly well for the same reason, for example.

Awakening was the first FE game that Nintendo actually promoted. The game released when the 3DS had a really good health. Fates sold more than Awakening because it was 3 games, also Fates came after Awakening, a game that revitalized the franchise and brought a lot of new fans to Fire Emblem, so naturally Fates was a very expected game.
You have more examples like this in the industry. Final Fantasy VII is more popular than VIII, but Squall's game had more sales at launch thanks to the success and the expectations generated from FFVII, which brought new fans to not only Final Fantasy but also role playing games in general.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I have to wonder if one day we will be able to move on from Corrin discussion or FE success being derived from Smash, we have been doing this for a while and like it or not Corrin is in the game and Fire Emblem is successful by its own merits just like a few franchises in the game are not as successful despite being in the game.
Let's rephrase the question:
Will people ever be satisfied even when they get exactly what they want?

D

Deleted member

Corrin is my favorite Fire Emblem character in the game right now. Idgaf about Fate's writing when I hold A to chainsaw into forward smash into the let's do this taunt. Smash Corrin is fun af.
Yeah, Smash Corrin is a character I really find cool.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
fans: all i want is for sakurai to keep adding characters
sakurai: ok
fans: wait no not those characters

D

Deleted member

I for one am 100% satisfied.

I got literally every main thing I wanted from Metroid to Dragon Quest.

D

Deleted member

We still have a lot of people on the site who said they would be completely satisfied with X character that got in already and are still complaining. So short answer no.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
fans: all i want is for sakurai to keep adding characters
sakurai: ok
fans: wait no not those characters
Fans: "I specifically meant my favourites"
Sakurai: *does just that*
Fans: "Thank you so much we're ever so grateful!"
Sakurai: "btw here's another character"
Fans: "UGHHHH HE HATES THE TRUE FANS I SWEAR WE NEVER GET ANYTHING WE ASK FOR"

D

Deleted member

Every time someone hates on Piranha Plant, Waluigi gets pushed back another Smash game.
Everytime someone complains about FE I have the feeling Sakurai suddenly feels a stronger urge of adding new FE characters in Smash.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Speaking personally, since my top 2 most wanted (Paper Mario and Ganon) have basically zero chance, if they both get in (and the former gets included in a way I like, which may not happen if PM is based heavily on Sticker Star or Color Splash) I literally will not ask for anything else because they were so unlikely to begin with. Most of the characters I've said I wanted this cycle were third-party characters, but I've always been more of a Nintendo fan so Nintendo characters personally excite me more.

In the meantime, since third-party characters are more likely right now, I can try to be 100% content if Phoenix Wright becomes playable. But in general, since my top 2 are so unlikely, my attitude has shifted from "characters that will make me happy" to "characters that will make lots of other people happy" so I can bask in the secondhand hype, excitement, and happiness and feel that way myself by association.

D

Deleted member

The only reason I hated on Piranha Plant when they got revealed was the fact my life was trash and I had my mind more ****ed than Shadow The Hedgehog and literally spelled non-sense for no reason.

But now life's going way better for me, and Piranha Plant now feels like a really fun inclussion.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I was salty about Piranha Plant for five minutes since he was revealed shortly after the Rex Mii costume.

Now I'm in love with the guy.

D

Deleted member

I think you got that mixed up.

All of the Joker fans stopped caring about speculation after we got Joker. That doesn't seem to be the case with Banjo fans.
And I stopped caring that much about speculation after the DQ8 Hero and War Cry got added.

I mostly pass by the site to meet with people I legit find awesome such as osby osby or Ovaltine Ovaltine

D

Deleted member

I like Plant conceptually, but I don't enjoy playing it at all. Kind of unfortunate sense the weird characters tend to be my favorites but we got Hero later and Hero is the most stupidly fun character in the series, so it's all good.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Everytime someone complains about FE I have the feeling Sakurai suddenly feels a stronger urge of adding new FE characters in Smash.
Wouldn't bother me. Fire Emblem has a lot of potential to sift through.

(I'd say they should add a manakete 'cuz I like dragons, but I'm not a fan of the dragon lolies and there's no way they would add Bantu or adult Tiki so...)

D

Deleted member

I mean I certainly am
Obviously I got my most wanted but I also got two other characters I play a lot in Hero and Terry so I'd say I got my 25 bucks worth.
Remember when you said we should stop taking the bait?
Should just rename the thread to "The SmashBoards Bait & Tackle Shop"

D

Deleted member

What we need is a Little Shop Of Horrors remake done in Smash Ultimate

And Piranha Plant has to be Audrey 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom