• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's kinda funny how Piranha Plant has more Mario RPG DNA than modern Mario RPG games.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I hated Plant for like... a day after it was revealed.

Then I loved it because Piranha Plants are my favorite Mario enemy in general so it's kinda nice to play as a normal one instead of just Petey (on the few occasions he is actually playable).

And now he's one of my best characters and someone I'd actually use competitively (even tho he's not that good lol).

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Yeah, Smash Corrin is a character I really find cool.
Exactly. Corrin is refreshing; they have a projectile, a recovery that isn't total balls, they don't have to worry about spacing, they don't have to worry about running out of tomes, spamming aerials, and so on. You get the perks of every FE character like range and s*** but you have other versatile tools that set you apart and you aren't cripplingly over specialized in one area.

Last edited:

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I don't really get the idea of getting angry over certain characters, especially if they make sense as an inclusion. Like the worst reaction I've had to a character was Terry, but that was just slight disappointment since I really didn't know who he is, and now he's one of my most played characters. The way I see it, if the character is fun and makes sense then I'll welcome them into the game

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Wouldn't bother me. Fire Emblem has a lot of potential to sift through.
Speaking of which, one thing I don't quite get is how some people are fine with another FE character, but they're adamantly against any Pokemon.

Both franchises have a lot of characters, and Pokemon is easily the king of unique candidates. There's dozens and dozens of options that specialize in punching, kicking, shooting, and all sorts of other things. Then you have the elemental aspect of Pokemon, so there's stuff like water, fire, grass, earth, electricity, etc.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Speaking of which, one thing I don't quite get is how some people are fine with another FE character, but they're adamantly against any Pokemon.

Both franchises have a lot of characters, and Pokemon is easily the king of unique characters. There's dozens and dozens of options that specialize in punching, kicking, shooting, and all sorts of other things. Then you have the elemental aspect of Pokemon, so there's stuff like water, fire, grass, earth, electricity, etc.
Generally the people who want more Fire Emblem characters aren't the type to not want more Pokémon.

D

Deleted member

Both franchises have a lot of characters, and Pokemon is easily the king of unique characters. There's dozens and dozens of options that specialize in punching, kicking, shooting, and all sorts of other things. Then you have the elemental aspect of Pokemon, so there's stuff like water, fire, grass, earth, electricity, etc.
Only reason I don't want a Pokemon is because I'm bitter sense most of my favorite Pokemon are gone but Pelipper gets to stay and is now the only rain setter.

R.I.P. in Peace :186:

D

Deleted member

I like Plant conceptually, but I don't enjoy playing it at all. Kind of unfortunate sense the weird characters tend to be my favorites but we got Hero later and Hero is the most stupidly fun character in the series, so it's all good.
One of my friends compared it to Melee Game & Watch and I honestly find it hard to disagree with him. I was excited to give it a shot but it kind of feels like it was thrown together without regard to how it's kit interplays with itself
At least it has Ptooie

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
This pic pretty much describes where we are at right now in speculation! If anymore characters or even companies get deconfirmed, then we are in a complete lost as to whoever this character is!

Nintendo may have actually stumped us!
7DD47052-1065-470C-8712-195AC9632EB7.jpeg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Both franchises have a lot of characters, and Pokemon is easily the king of unique candidates. There's dozens and dozens of options that specialize in punching, kicking, shooting, and all sorts of other things. Then you have the elemental aspect of Pokemon, so there's stuff like water, fire, grass, earth, electricity, etc.
I just lost interest in Pokemon and I have no particularly strong feelings towards Gen 7 and 8. Three Houses and Lyn's game, however, are games I really enjoyed.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Now, I will share something that I do feel we might all agree on:

Smash Ultimate deserves at least one prize at the Game Awards for being such a gaming rarity

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I'm going to need examples of people being ok with Fire Emblem getting another newcomer but not Pokemon, and I mean actual people, not Fox News' "THE LGBT ARE TRYING TO BAN THE TERM SNOWMAN AND GINGERBREAD MAN" stuff

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Generally the people who want more Fire Emblem characters aren't the type to not want more Pokémon.
It's not that way on Smashboards. I know a few users by name who have commented on being fine with Byleth or Edelgard but don't want to see Pokemon at all.

I'm going to need examples of people being ok with Fire Emblem getting another newcomer but not Pokemon, and I mean actual people, not Fox News' "THE LGBT ARE TRYING TO BAN THE TERM SNOWMAN AND GINGERBREAD MAN" stuff
Two posts above yours.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Lmao man why people have to bash on fanbases? Really hurts to see people attack Banjo fans when like one dude is trolling. I liked Joker and Hero and Terry, so maybe don't start vilifying large groups of people?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Smash Ultimate deserves at least one prize at the Game Awards for being such a gaming rarity
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will win the award for Best Fighting Game... then Joker attempts to steal it, and Phoenix Wright whoever Fighter 5 is stops him.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Tbf I think it's mostly the same the other way around.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Lmao man why people have to bash on fanbases? Really hurts to see people attack Banjo fans when like one dude is trolling. I liked Joker and Hero and Terry, so maybe don't start vilifying large groups of people?
This thread is basically an anti fan requested character echo chamber.

Well that and "leaker" worship.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's most likely linked to the reception to their latest games. SwSh has a shaky reception and Three Houses ended up having quite a good one with people complaining about general absence at the VGA with only one nom.

Its one of the things I could see people not minding them but also not looking forward too, which is something I could say about a lot of potential characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will win the award for Best Fighting Game... then Joker attempts to steal it, and Phoenix Wright whoever Fighter 5 is stops him.
I hope this is true purely because I wanna see Joker in the Smash CGI style.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Jeez, I really need to turn off notifications for this thread. Seems like every other page is just the yeet lad swinging a bat a hornet's nest, except that the bat is Kazooie, and the hornet's nest is obvious bait aimed at Fire Emblem.

This pic pretty much describes where we are at right now in speculation! If anymore characters or even companies get deconfirmed, then we are in a complete lost as to whoever this character is!

Nintendo may have actually stumped us!View attachment 249277
It's missing Bamco and Level 5 for the deconfirmed pile.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What we need is a Little Shop Of Horrors remake done in Smash Ultimate

And Piranha Plant has to be Audrey 2.
Shulk is Seamore. Peach is Audrey.

I don't really get the idea of getting angry over certain characters, especially if they make sense as an inclusion. Like the worst reaction I've had to a character was Terry, but that was just slight disappointment since I really didn't know who he is, and now he's one of my most played characters. The way I see it, if the character is fun and makes sense then I'll welcome them into the game
I think it's a scapegoat situation. I remember hating Greninja when it was revealed because it had similarities to Mewtwo (in terms of how it conducted itself, and had a charged projectile for a Neutral Special) and in my opinion the character should have been Mewtwo. I no longer get angry at reveals though. I think Bayonetta was the last one to actually make me upset.

I'm fine with more Pokémon too. I just don't want the next one to be another starter, as I'd like something a little more out there.

Though I suppose I wouldn't mind the addition of Rillaboom. I like that one.

then Joker attempts to steal it...
Get outta here Joker! You ain't even in them Persona fighting games!

SwSh has a shaky reception...
Unfortunately it seems to be more of a vocal minority though. Tons of people are buying the games.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's most likely linked to the reception to their latest games. SwSh has a shaky reception and Three Houses ended up having quite a good one with people complaining about absence at the VGA.

Its one of the things I could see people not minding them but also not looking forward too, which is something I could say about a lot of potential characters.
Still, I don't really think that's a fair reason to hate the idea of another Pokemon getting in. Not liking SuMo or SwSh doesn't take away from Pokemon themselves and their moveset potential, and you can still want a Pokemon to get in Smash without liking their games.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306

I love Pokemon, Fire Emblem AND Mario so I've heard the "Too many reps" argument so many times I've grown deaf LOL

D

Deleted member

inb4 Jump Force wins Best Fighting Game

I'm fully expecting Mortal Kombat to win best fighting game, and Death Stranding to win GotY, but I'd like to be wrong about that. Not sure if I'd want Smash to win GotY though if by some miracle Death Stranding doesn't win.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This thread is basically an anti fan requested character echo chamber.

Well that and "leaker" worship.
I mean I'd say that's a pretty lofty generalization. Lots of people like lots of different characters.

Hell, my two most wanted characters are Edelgard and Crash and they're two completely different types of characters.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Speaking for myself, Fire Emblem benefits from having actual protagonists, so everyone generally can agree that they're the right way to represent the game.

With Pokemon, the sheer variety can basically lead to any Pokemon becoming popular, but I think people have become disenchanted with that franchise's representation because it has lately been arbitrarily restricted to starter final evolutions with no regards to popularity. Also from what I've heard people are tired of starters always ending up anthropomorphic.

Basically, if you were to rep Three Houses, we'd get a cool whip-sword user, while if we got a Sword and Shield rep, it would be an anthropomorphic grass, fire, or water-type, and we've got the latter two already.

D

Deleted member

Still, I don't really think that's a fair reason to hate the idea of another Pokemon getting in. Not liking SuMo or SwSh doesn't take away from Pokemon themselves and their moveset potential, and you can still want a Pokemon to get in Smash without liking their games.
Actually scratch what I said above. If they added a Gen 4 Pokemon, I'd actually lose my **** because I loved that Gen and its Pokemon.

But yeah, it's all about attachment for me. If I don't have a reason to support a character, I just wont support them and keep silent about it.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I mean I'd say that's a pretty lofty generalization. Lots of people like lots of different characters.

Hell, my two most wanted characters are Edelgard and Crash and they're two completely different types of characters.
A lofty generalization would be saying that everyone who didnt like Hero or Terry is a Banjo fan.

Instead of actually being asked to back that claim up, people would rather call the guy holding a mirror up to that kind of thinking a troll.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Yeah cause modern Mario RPGs are literally dead. As such, we will get two iconic Mario characters from the RPGs to mourn these games.

Vivian and Fawful
Fixed. Vivian's cool, but for Mario & Luigi reps, bring on the Fury!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom