• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Aside from Dixie, most of my most wanteds are either third parties who probably won't be in the next game due to no more big crossover stuff (Zero, Tails, Klonoa), or admittedly flavor of the month picks like a 3H or Pokemon SwSh rep. For the latter, if they do not show up in this game at all, their chances of appearing in Smash as playable are pretty much done for. I can only hope that the Pokemon/FE chars in the next games may tickle my fancy. Because of this, I will only truly support Dixie, because the more Sakurai overlooks her, the bigger her support base will grow. That, and I'm pretty sure we'll be getting more DKC games at this point :p
Dixie is the undying light! Her flame will never burn out!

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So my list of who FP5 could possibly be right now.

Sakura Shinguji
Arle Nadja
Reimu Hakurei
Sol Badguy
Phoenix Wright

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If I must be blunt the "Banjo is the exception of western characters" statement feels a little bit like goalpost moving. Of course by all means he could be and we'll never get Crash, Doomguy, Maxwell and the like but we'll never know that for sure until the DLC is over, and why did Snake/Cloud kill the "connection to Nintendo" rule but Banjo didn't do the same with the "no western characters" rule and was instead considered the exception that proved the rule?
To be fair, the Smash community has a terrible case of "Chopped Liver" where characters are outright ignored when arguments are being made

No Puzzle Game Characters :ultdoc:
No Japan only Fighters :ultlucas:
No One off characters :ultsheik:

Things like that.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It would help if Sakurai didn't only keep Lucas in the game because he didn't know Mother 3 was Japan exclusive, and Takamaru's AT status wasn't because of (former) Japan exclusivity.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Jones right nowI just want to add since Arc system works hasn’t been shot down yet, despite not knowing anything about Sol Badguy I wouldn’t mind him getting in because his name is hilarious.
The most important things you need to know about Sol are:
1. he's a scientist
2. he's a walking Queen reference
3. like Terry, he's a good dad

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think I asked this in this thread before (and if I did, it was ages ago), but try adding five characters to Smash, only you can't add anyone older than three years. Has to be 2017 or later, but both first and third-parties are welcome.

Just wanted to see what people consider to be notable in the past three years. Incineroar and technically Hero are the newest characters, so we don't have a lot from recent games.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
After all these companies deconfirmations, i think there's a good chance that fighter #5 might be from a western company (or i blinding hope so). Seriously, smash needs more western characters IMO.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think I asked this in this thread before (and if I did, it was ages ago), but try adding five characters to Smash, only you can't add anyone older than three years. Has to be 2017 or later, but both first and third-parties are welcome.

Just wanted to see what people consider to be notable in the past three years. Incineroar and technically Hero are the newest characters, so we don't have a lot from recent games.
EZ, Spring Man, Rex & Pyra, Snip & Clip, Byleth, Officer Howard.

Snip & Clip are definitely the "one for me" choice there.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Byleth
Blacephalon
Hyness
Jevil
...I don't know. Spinel?

SNEKeater

Smash Master

1. 2B
2. Akira Howard
3. Three Houses rep
4. Rex & Pyra
5. Ring Fit Trainer or a Sword and Shield rep

D

Deleted member

To be fair, the Smash community has a terrible case of "Chopped Liver" where characters are outright ignored when arguments are being made

Things like that.
tbf Sheik is very much lucky in that Melee came out when OoT was still hot **** and she and Zelda came as a package deal up until 4. In any other circumstance I'm not sure we would have her at all.
But every other fan rule feels kinda flimsy at this point.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Spring Man
Rex
Dusk Lycanroc
Byleth
Akira Howard

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

1. Octoling (Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion)
2. Lora & Jin
3. Legionis
4. The Tales Of Arise protag
5. Byleth

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Spring Man/Ribbon Girl
Akira Howard
Byleth
Octoling (Splatoon 2)
Rex & Pyra/Mythra

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I think it's worth it anyway. If ya have cool ideas, please share them. I'm sure we have lurkers here who love stuff like this and people looking for inspiration and stuff. Creativity shouldn't be halted because you might not get noticed; these ideas should be exchanged, IMO.
Yes that’s true, at the end of the day we’re here because we love Smash bros and we love video games. I’m glad I got to have exchanges with others about Nightmare even though he was smacked down the very next day.

The part you mentioned about lurkers really speaks to me. Long, long ago during the beginning of Smash 4 speculation I was a lurker on this site. During that time I was introduced to many characters I had never even heard before, but I love to see people gush about their favorite characters. I was introduced to one of my favorite franchises, The Professor Layton series, through this website because of the amazing people in his support thread who showed their love for their character. Same with Snake, I knew him from brawl but I never played his games and I didn’t fully appreciate him until I saw the comradery and love that his support displayed. For my birthday that I got Curious Village and Snake Eater 3D both became some of my all time favorite games.

At the end day, being wrong or right about a character being in Smash means very little when we have no control over who is in anyway. Not saying people shouldn’t speculate, but Smash bros is a grand convergence between games and people, I say it’s best to spend our time having meaning exchanges about the characters/franchises we love. In my case, Professor Layton might never get into Smash, but the time spent exchanging with others about him is worth it.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306

Byleth
Akira Howard
2B
Pokemon SwSh mon
Ring Fit Trainer
Dixie is the undying light! Her flame will never burn out!
Dixie is a shonen protag at this point. The more she gets snubbed, the stronger she gets. > : )

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
tbf Sheik is very much lucky in that Melee came out when OoT was still hot **** and she and Zelda came as a package deal up until 4. In any other circumstance I'm not sure we would have her at all.
But every other fan rule feels kinda flimsy at this point.
I've also seen a lot of people who feel like Sheik should be removed from the roster due to lack of relevance.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Edelgard
Lora & Jin
Miriam
2B
Lulu Baran

cosmicB

Smash Ace

Things like that.
I think those kinds of arguments generally go "1st party doesn't count", which I actually agree makes sense that the rules would be more loose. I mean coming from a good game wasn't even a prerequisite all the way back in the Melee days (Ice Climbers).

Banjo is in an interesting scenario because the character is more associated with Nintendo to a lot of people that the actual IP owner.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Shin Sakura Wars is releasing! 10 more days to go!
Countdown finally starts.
Upcoming schedules.
Teigeki Tsushin on 11th, the game releasing on 12th, something to announce on 13th, Sakura Wars features at NHK-FM Anime Song Academy on 14th.
(13th will be at night.)
Exciting, exciting.

Everything will be "Sakura" related.

So this just happened.
TGA starts at 13th midnight in Japan.
I don't think this is it though but still something to note.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Byleth, Lycanroc Dusk, Cup Head, Spring Man, Ring Fit Trainer

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
We tried but nobody bothers cause nobody pays attention to that, otherwise we'd be talking about Crash being at his best if he's able to recognize what his opponents can do due to Crash's pattern recognition based level design or Sol being the maddest of lads by going hyper on the offence, Resident Evil essentially being Hero but without RNG due to the survival mechanics from Resident Evil, Doomslayer being a glass cannon with outstanding mobility, etc
Reminder that this was the least poopy-post I've read in the entire thread and it only got five likes. Mofo came up with an idea that would make Masahiro Sakurai green with envy. For f***ing Pokey of all characters.

It’s a lengthy read but that’s mainly because I drew out every move, let me know your guys’ thoughts if you do read it

Moveset:

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Champion
Upcoming schedules.
Teigeki Tsushin on 11th, release date on 12th, something to announce on 13th, Sakura Wars features at NHK-FM Anime Song Academy on 14th.
(13th will be at night.)
Exciting, exciting.

So this just happened.
Now that's a series the crowd would not be familiar with.

cosmicB

Smash Ace

Officer Howard, Dimitri, 2B, All 8 Octopath Traveler characters as alts (don't know who the dominant one would be), and Grimmsnarl.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I feel like everyone is sleeping on Kratos.

Sony was just involved in a Smash event.

Perfect type of reveal for the VGAs.

D

Deleted member

Upcoming schedules.
Teigeki Tsushin on 11th, the game releasing on 12th, something to announce on 13th, Sakura Wars features at NHK-FM Anime Song Academy on 14th.
(13th will be at night.)
Exciting, exciting.

So this just happened.
I honestly don't see a game of that popularity being a Game Awards reveal. Though they could release Sakura in a Direct prior to the show. It would make more sense in a marketing perspective.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace

Considering most games I'm into these days are re-releases or remakes of older games...
I'mma cheat:

Ryne (Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers)
Shiva (Phantasy Star Online 2 [Prelude to Episode 6])
Wu-Ruixiang (Samurai Shodown)
Kiriko Yukoku (THE iDOLM@STER: Shiny Colors)
Sakura Amamiya (Project Sakura Wars)

Yeah, the last goes against my promotional pick disdain, but I get Geki in the game, there's a possibility (however small) of a Shinguji echo, so whatever. >_>

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bu-b-but yeet. Sony's stingy! Sony isn't friendly with other gaming companies!
To be fair, Sony has tough policies that do make them seem kinda limited for crossovers.

The most popular examples are the crossplay drama started with Fortnite and their strict censorship.

But maybe Sony does offer Nintendo a character in Smash in an attempt to change those perceptions.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
>people beg for K.Rool to be added
>want Sheik removed
wtf?
Unlike Sheik, K. Rool appeared in SEVERAL games... that were released around 20 years ago. Still, "semi-retired recurring villain" has more relevancy than "one-off side character", if we're doing the whole relevance olympics thing.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I juuuuust realized that if we got Sol Badguy in Smash, Dizzy probably wouldn’t be repped in any form because something something “good boys and girls”.

Truth be told, I prefer Ky but Sol is just as good and he’s the main character so...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As somone posted an earlier picture today. Imagine an double reveal of both Master Chief and Kratos with Mario between them and an Smash Logo in the background.

The internet would explode.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I found this incredibly comprehensive document that goes into detail over every aspect over Dragonborn's inclusion in Smash. I recommend everyone to give it a read, perhaps it might change your opinion on the Dragonborn.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19W_jSF3YzvJy54THfPRxj8GUWl9Ul8S1T_lbzITrNjg
I had a Dragonborn moveset on the backburner for awhile, but this is pretty much exactly what I was envisioning with the shouts and all! Very well made.

If we do get Dragonborn I really do hope we get both genders and the other Tamriel races as alts costumes, I feel like it’s an important thematic distinction that would make the Dragonborn stand out.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm going to need examples of people being ok with Fire Emblem getting another newcomer but not Pokemon, and I mean actual people, not Fox News' "THE LGBT ARE TRYING TO BAN THE TERM SNOWMAN AND GINGERBREAD MAN" stuff
I'm not a huge fan of Fox News or people who write off Pokemon as an option simply because "there's too many of them", but there's likely no overlap between these two groups. Something tells me the Grandpa and Weird Uncles watching Fox News aren't the types who really care about the Smash roster.

D

Deleted member

I feel like everyone is sleeping on Kratos.

Sony was just involved in a Smash event.

Perfect type of reveal for the VGAs.
I'm not sleeping on Kratos, though I don't feel like he's a Pass-Ender and he's more like a Season 2-starter. One that would set the tone. We are under the stigma of the "Smash reveals don't always end on high notes". And also, yeah, Sony's a teeny-bit stingy when it comes to their IPs.

Should we get another Sony rep, it's usually either Kat or Sackboy for me (seems like Plank08 Plank08 is holding me at gunpoint) for me.

I juuuuust realized that if we got Sol Badguy in Smash, Dizzy probably wouldn’t be repped in any form because something something “good boys and girls”.

Truth be told, I prefer Ky but Sol is just as good and he’s the main character so...
Hmm...gimme a sec....

Oh well, she's quite easy to censor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom