• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I don't think anyone's sleeping on Kratos because a Sony character is almost like Goku or Ironman at this moment.

Hey, I would love Kratos because I love God of War, and having Bayonetta vs Dante vs Kratos would be a dream. I don't support him actively because I think that a Sony rep is impossible. Maybe in the future, but he's not happening soon. I'm betting my avatar that he isn't FP5.
Thouygh if one gets revealed at TGA it'a all out of the window.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Bruh you were trying to use Mario Baseball for K.Rool.
If I'm allowed to butt it, I don't think it's hypocritical to want K. Rool and support Sheik being cut. It doesn't boil down to being relevant, but rather importance within the series. K. Rool is the main villain in the DK games, while Sheik is a one-off that isn't very important in the grand scheme of the series. Plus, even if you consider one-offs important, there are others (think Skull Kid and Midna) that are much more popular, and are also different characters (a pet peeve of many Zelda fans is that they don't like there being only variations of the main three).

Personally I don't support Sheik being cut, but if I had to cut the Zelda roster she'd be the second I'd cut, without much hesitation.

D

Deleted member

Let's be clear here: It's an inference and nothing more. In itself it's a hypothetical to narrow down the potential options just for Fighter 5. What I'm suggesting doesn't apply to picks after #5. I'd actually be surprised if there isn't a western pick coming for Picks 6-???.

I think there's an incredibly high chance of more western franchises post-pass; I'm not implying there wouldn't be more post-pass as if Banjo is the "ultimate exception". I'm simply throwing it out there that for the Fighter Pass he may very well be one, and not be accompanied by another western 3rd party.

Just another way of figuring out who Fighter 5 is, my guy.
Just read your post wrong I guess, my b.
And yeah you're probably right on the companies they could come from, though personally I think Sora would count under Square. Disney owned he may be but Nintendo would probably have to negotiate with both of them in regards to how he would be depicted in Smash

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If Kratos does get in it should be Dad of War as an duo character with Atreus.
That would be probably the best way. Sakurai usually goes for the classic or most recognizable design, but in this case classic Kratos is really violent and maybe that would be a problem for ratings and all of that. The 'new' Kratos while still brutal is less bloody.

D

Deleted member

I think Sora would count under Square. Disney owned he may be but Nintendo would probably have to negotiate with both of them in regards to how he would be depicted in Smash
It all boils down to the association phenomena. Sora is moreso associated with some Disney properties.

Pardon my lack of KH knowledge, but...does the removal of Disney references take away from his overall character?

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
One question so I'm on the same level as everyone else, what the crap is a Sakura War? Is it what happens when Ryu gets too many High-school girl fans?

Short version: Media franchise centered around games that combine tactical combat (either traditional SRPG-style or a more active style depending on the game) with relationship management.

You end up working with a group of girls capable of wielding spiritual power to pilot mechs and fight demonic forces that have appeared across the world.
The setting is an alternate take on the 1920s (onward) with the first games being heavily-styled after Taisho Japan, just... now things are kinda steampunk.
As a cover for their operations, the girls run a theatre revue, putting on musical performances and plays.

Also, this is the opening, which should be enough to sell you on it. >_>

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So after looking at all the responses, it seems like most people want similar things, but not the same character.

ARMS, Three Houses, Astral Chain, and SwSh were all very popular, but those who gave a specific character were spit up amongst the responses (Spring Man/Ribbon Girl/Twintelle, Byleth/Edelgard, Officer Howard/Akira Howard, etc.)

2B and Ring Fit Trainer were frequently and specifically mentioned by many of you.
Wait, I thought Akira Howard and Officer Howard were referring to the same character?

Haven't played Astral Chain, but from what I've seen you pick your character's gender, and the one you don't pick is your twin, default named Akira, so technically you never play as Akira but technically that's also their default name.

It all boils down to the association phenomena. Sora is moreso associated with some Disney properties.

Pardon my lack of KH knowledge, but...does the removal of Disney references take away from his overall character?
Not at all. Moveset-wise and personality-wise, Sora works just fine without any Disney references.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
So after looking at all the responses, it seems like most people want similar things, but not the same character.

ARMS, Three Houses, Astral Chain, and SwSh were all very popular, but those who gave a specific character were split up amongst the responses (Spring Man/Ribbon Girl/Twintelle, Byleth/Edelgard, Officer Howard/Akira Howard, etc.)

2B and Ring Fit Trainer were frequently and specifically mentioned by many of you.
Now how you gonna ignore Rex like that, man? He was brought up just as much lol.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Thouygh if one gets revealed at TGA it'a all out of the window.
Yeah, that's obvious. Between Chief and Kratos the first one is, at best, relatively likely at this point. Microsoft is being nice with Nintendo, but giving his mascot and his icon is another thing, so we don't know.

Edit: about Doom, well, I think it's a bit different. Classic Doom isn't that bloody like the original God of War games. And I would say classic Kratos is almost synonymous of blood and violence.
Doomslayer, while brutal and raw, doesn't come to my mind when I think of super bloody characters.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Wait, I thought Akira Howard and Officer Howard were referring to the same character?

Haven't played Astral Chain, but from what I've seen you pick your character's gender, and the one you don't pick is your twin, default named Akira, so technically you never play as Akira but technically that's also their default name.
From what I gathered...

Player character = Officer Howard
Twin sibling = Akira Howard

D

Deleted member

Yeah, that's obvious. Between Chief and Kratos the first one is, at best, relatively likely at this point. Microsoft is being nice with Nintendo, but giving his mascot and his icon is another thing, so we don't know.
I'm pretty confused. Is there a stigma that "the FP should not have two characters from the same company in one pass"? Because going by that logic, Chief would rather be good for post-pass.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Heres something we can all agree on:

Corrin is the worst addition in Smash Bros history.
Eh, personally I would argue that Lucina was a more pointless addition. At least Corrin has a fun moveset, and is from a game that isn't oversaturating the roster. (plus she's more physically attractive that helps a bit)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm pretty confused. Is there a stigma that "the FP should not have two characters from the same company in one pass"? Because going by that logic, Chief would rather be good for post-pass.
Yeah, I think that neither Sega, Square, Microsoft and SNK will have 2 characters in the pass. If Chief happens I think he would be post-pass.
Same for 2B, for some strange reason some people still consider her alive after all the deconfirmations. It's true, maybe Nintendo will surprise us and FP5 is from a company already present in this pass but honestly I think that's very unlikely.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Nintendo Pass
- Rex and Pyrha
- Dixie Kong
- Three Houses
- Rillaboom
- Officer Howard

Thoughts?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I say if anyone's the worst addition to Smash Ultimate its:ultdarkpit:

Not only that but he's probably got the most anti-climatic and worst Final Smash in the game.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
That's just a fan rule.

There is absolutely nothing stopping a second character from a company already represented in the pass to be fighter #5 if that's what Nintendo wants.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
From what I gathered...

Player character = Officer Howard
Twin sibling = Akira Howard
Both genders would probably be playable if in Smash so I don't think it would make a difference. Unless someone is really cut up that Akira gets in over the (functionally identical) main character.

Eh, personally I would argue that Lucina was a more pointless addition. At least Corrin has a fun moveset, and is from a game that isn't oversaturating the roster. (plus she's more physically attractive that helps a bit)
Any character can have a fun moveset. Corrin could've been literally anyone else and not only would they still have the upside of a fun unique moveset, they wouldn't catch flak for being the 2nd DLC FE character and the fourth FE addition in Wii U/3DS.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Didn't Morgana say Joker was invited though?
Crap you're right. He was "invited to steal the greatest treasure of all".

His own Super Smash Bros. invitation.

Well there is the reserved "Pokemon slot" and Incineroar is the wrong choice for gen 7, so...
Implying there's an objectively correct one.

D

Deleted member

That's just a fan rule.

There is absolutely nothing stopping a second character from a company already represented in the pass to be fighter #5 if that's what Nintendo wants.
*shrugs* It's all Nintendo's decision then in the end. Then again, I am guilty of believing fan rules and stuff.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I say if anyone's the worst addition to Smash Ultimate its:ultdarkpit:

Not only that but he's probably got the most anti-climatic and worst Final Smash in the game.
Lucina and Dark Pit took no effort at all to implement and Sakurai has made it clear that they were a last minute addition, it was them or nothing else.

Corrin meanwhile felt like the most tone-deaf smack in the face imaginable. The Smash Ballot was right there, Sakurai could have literally chosen to add anyone from it into the game that fans wanted, and instead chose to add in a """generic anime swordsman from fire emblem""" as the smash fandom put it, which was in my eyes pretty much the one thing people DIDN'T want at the time. He was literally only added because the Fates team begged Sakurai to do it, not to mention his game WASN'T EVEN OUT YET outside of Japan.

D

Deleted member

not to mention his game WASN'T EVEN OUT YET outside of Japan.
It's a big dissonance to see how everyone loathed Corrin from being in the then-latest FE game, and now Byleth's becoming a requested pick.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Same for 2B, for some strange reason some people still consider her alive after all the deconfirmations. It's true, maybe Nintendo will surprise us and FP5 is from a company already present in this pass but honestly I think that's very unlikely.
I'm glad ya brought this up. The only deconfirmation I can think of was a statement from Saito. I said this way back in May, before a certain SquareEnix board member (note: it was also Saito) reached out to meet with Sakurai and tried to get him to meet with Yoko Taro. The bolded part was borderline prophetic.

Square Enix France didn't even know about 2B's inclusion in Soul Calibur in advance; they REALLY tried to keep it a secret, even internally. If she was in Smash, I'd imagine a statement like Saito's being thrown out to keep people off her trail. Think about it... maybe Nier wasn't "called to Smash," but what if they reached out to Nintendo instead? Is the decision up to Sakurai? Why did Saito even ask that question?
I don't know if she's fighter number 5, but I can definitely see her happening in the future. In that same post, I also mentioned the possibility of a second season before it was officially announced.

I don't remember what was said verbatim since this happened months ago, but I do remember that Saito's wording was... strange. Like full of loopholes. It reminded me of legal jargon almost. I wish I saw the quote in Japanese, so I could decipher it further/properly, but it didn't give me the impression of a deconfirmation at all. Then months after his alleged deconfirmation statement, he reached out to Sakurai. It's hella suspicious lol.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
It's a big dissonance to see how everyone loathed Corrin from being in the then-latest FE game, and now Byleth's becoming a requested pick.
Corrin came out at a time where we had a deluge of Fire Emblem reps in Sm4sh that all played the same.

Also Fates sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom