• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Corrin came out at a time where we had a deluge of Fire Emblem reps in Sm4sh that all played the same.

Also Fates sucks
The thing is, Corrin is probably among the most unique out of all the FE characters currently in Smash.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
So after looking at all the responses, it seems like most people want similar things, but not the same character.

ARMS, Three Houses, Astral Chain, and SwSh were all very popular, but those who gave a specific character were split up amongst the responses (Spring Man/Ribbon Girl/Twintelle, Byleth/Edelgard, Officer Howard/Akira Howard, etc.)

2B and Ring Fit Trainer were frequently and specifically mentioned by many of you.

I think the problem is that three years is a very short window in the scale of Smash reps. Along with that, since the character itself has to originate from the last three years, series with one-off casts (like Pokemon or Fire Emblem) or new IPs (like Astral Chain) have a bigger advantage in this poll than series that got games in this time frame but have consistant casts between entries.

Still, I'll try my hand at this:

1. Kiawe/Sophocles/Lana (Pokemon Sun and Moon) (I know they're 2016 but they were late November so they're close enough)

2. Mipha/Daruk/Urbosa/Revali (Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild)

3. Toxtricity (Pokemon Sword and Shield)

Yep, none of the other games I got that came out since 2017 qualify.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
What characters are suspicious? The stuff with Hollow Knight seems overlooked despite their increased ties/bias with Nintendo, Reimu has some weird happening in terms of leaks, and Sakura seems to fit in with the infamous overwatch leak. All three characters are relatively small in the industry, meaning few people know then in the industry.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
No idea. I was just making a joke.
Hahahahahahahaha, very funny of you, Bold!

I'm not bothered at all that you're further rubbing salt in the wound by reminding me of what cannot be. Yep, I'm not even the slightest bit upset about it!

Not. One. Bit...

Smash Bros is serious business and I will not stand for this mockery of my favorite fictional character's chance of nabbing a spot in a party game designed for children. Draw your weapon.

D

Deleted member

Corrin came out at a time where we had a deluge of Fire Emblem reps in Sm4sh that all played the same.

Also Fates sucks
No wonder they gave the three house leaders unique weapons, plus when they made Byleth's Creator Sword they made sure it was as unconventional as possible.

D

Deleted member

Smash Bros is serious business and I will not stand for this mockery of my favorite fictional character's chance of nabbing a spot in a party game designed for children. Draw your weapon.
Don't say I didn't warn you. *Ahem*

Rex is a bad character.

Tito Lounge:

Last edited by a moderator:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Since Corrin is kind of the topic of discussion right now, I'd like to inform everybody that Corrin's hands and feet don't simply turn into spikes. Nope, they stretch out their hands/feet.

Absolutely Disgusting.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Dixie Kong is the last characters I would really like to see as well. However, I would disagree with you. Her fanbase growing over time is not likely to happen. Many things that we thought were going to cause her to gain more attention (K. Rool being confirmed, Banjo-Kazooie being confirmed), did not result in a anything changing in regards to the Smash Bubble taking more notice of her. Even the recent mania about a lack of female newcomers, has not changed much about her requests.

Secondly, we are already nearing six years since the last wholly new Donkey Kong title. To put that gap of time in perspective, this is now the longest gap of time between Donkey Kong platformers ever (the previous longest gap of time was between 1999's Donkey Kong 64 and 2004's DK Jungle Beat).

Right now Retro Studios, the developer of the last two DK platformers, is making Metroid Prime 4, and that game probably will not be out until late 2021, or possibly even 2022. That means even if they finish up Prime 4 in 2021 and immediately work on another DK title afterward, we would not see another DK title from them until 2023 at the absolute soonest.

The DK brand is in very dire straits. The last spinoff the series received was all the way back in 2007 (most of them were not good though), and the last time any DK characters aside from Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong appeared in a Mario spinoff was all the way back in 2008 (Mario Super Sluggers and Mario Kart Wii).

Dixie Kong has a very uncertain future. I can easily see a situation where another DK title does not happen until some time into the the mid 2020s.

As such Dixie Kong has little chance of building her fanbase without new material or relevancy (she has no bandwagon or cult following within the Smash Bubble so her trajectory will be more similar to characters like Krystal), I think unless the Smash fanbase collectively realizes how much of a conspicuous absence she is, there is little chance she becomes very highly requested in the coming years

It has depreciated in a very big way. At one point during pre-Smash 4, Dixie Kong was within the Top 10 (only behind Ridley and K. Rool as far as newcomers go at her apex), to dropping to the Top 20 within the Ultimate base character period, and now she is outside the Top 20. It is going to get worse for her as time goes on as her source material fades from memory, and the people that feel nostalgic for Rare's material gradually leave the Smash Bubble.

She does not have a cult following within the Smash Bubble so stuff like this is going to to hurt her over time (it already has).

I think one thing that has to happen is for a change of perspective about DKC3. I strongly feel that game is a fantastic platformer and overall a stronger title than DKC1, yet the conventional opinion online is that its Rare's weakest DK title (DK64 has much more issues objectively, and DKC1 was rough around the edges in several places). Personally, I think DKC3 is actually Rare's second best DK platformer, behind only DKC2 itself, and DKC3 even does a few things better than DKC2. Also, I do not know why Dixie is overlooked as a star of DKC2. Heck, the Japanese subtitle for it is literally "Dixie & Diddy".

So yeah, in regards to her "flame", she is going to be a very dim one in the coming years unless things change regarding her circumstances.

That is actually the opposite of what has happened to Dixie. It seems the more she gets snubbed, the less people care, or at least the Smash Bubble. However, maybe my perspective is wrong.

I very strongly expect Geno to be top tier when he becomes playable, or at least very high tier. You can time stamp this post, I feel that confident in this happening.
Honestly? Could just be my undying optimism here but I doubt this will all affect Dixie too badly. DKC may be dormant, but DK himself is an iconic character, as is Diddy. There WILL be more Smash games to come, and I almost guarantee that Smash 6 will go back to being more Nintendo focused, making it easier for Sakurai to focus on some forgotten but requested picks like Dixie. Also comparing her to Krystal is pretty weird, I mean Krystal was always a side gal. Meanwhile Dixie starred in her own game and appeared in the most recent DKC again as a playable character. As for the female reps part, many people simply believe she isn't happening because most people assume spirits = not ever going to be playable, which I agree. If she weren't a spirit, I guarantee you she'd be seeing more support.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Since Corrin is kind of the topic of discussion right now, I'd like to inform everybody that Corrin's hands and feet don't simply turn into spikes. Nope, they stretch out their hands/feet.

Absolutely Disgusting.
did... their foot turn into another hand???

D

Deleted member

Absolutely Disgusting.
Corrin hitting people with the

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Also, this is the opening, which should be enough to sell you on it. >_>

Man i'm not even that interested in Sakura Wars but the animation is on point there.

I love me some 90's animation.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
It's a big dissonance to see how everyone loathed Corrin from being in the then-latest FE game, and now Byleth's becoming a requested pick.
Yeah. It's kind of funny, really. I didn't play Fates at all, but I played Azure Moon in Three Houses and I want Byleth now because I think he'd have a cool moveset. (But then people would complain about how he's another swordie, so....) We live in a clown world.
I would have rather had the blue characters over the red ones tbh.

View attachment 249322
Not gonna lie, green's looking kinda fine.
Incineroar is pretty great, and I don't think it deserves half of the hate it gets.
While I agree, I think some of the "fans" kind of do. By that, I don't mean actual fans of the character. I mean people like the steveposters.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Not all good animation has been mo-capped. (See: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
This is a great example of apples to oranges. Smash overall isn't even in the same realm as XC2 when it comes to narrative, animation, character development, etc. Smash isn't concerned with telling a story and having you believe that story, which is critical to XC2. Ultimate's animation is perfect for what it's built for. But if you were to use the existing character animations in Smash to tell an intricate story, onewoth cutscenes that you wanted me to believe and become immersed in, I would be extremely unsatisfied.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
As far as Pokemon goes, I really want to see Cinderace in Smash Bros.

Fire bunny best bunny.
If they're going to add in another Pokemon, I'd imagine it to be Rillaboom. Not a fan of the Pokemon myself but they already have a fire and water pokemon, but no grass Pokemon as a standalone (not including PT).

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
It all boils down to the association phenomena. Sora is moreso associated with some Disney properties.

Pardon my lack of KH knowledge, but...does the removal of Disney references take away from his overall character?
While I've never played the games, here's what a friend of mine who is much more familiar with the series has to say:
Nope! Kingdom Hearts has its own story and lots of characters separate from the Disney properties. For example, while Mickey, Donald, and Goofy are more prominent characters, you can leave them out and have Kingdom Hearts characters such as Riku, Kairi, and Roxas for spirits or stage cameos. The only thing Disney inherent to Sora is that there's a Mickey symbol on his keyblade, but that might be fine.
From what I understand, the series has enough FF-style original human characters in it that you could completely avoid referencing the Disney characters (in challenge mode, spirit battles, stage cameos, etc) and still have plenty of original characters left over.

D

Deleted member

Yes.

They can turn the entire arm into a mouth that shoots out energy and can bite people, but for some reason the "handfeet" give me more of sense of body horror than that.
NGL, I wish this was explored more than Corrin and Azura declaring war on Hoshido to get Garon to sit on a chair.

D

Deleted member

Absolutely Disgusting.
Also the weird-ass hands in their dragon form

Walking around on their knuckles like a ****in gorrila

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
People are attempting to say Phoenix Wright is 100% deconfirmed based on an old tweet made by Hideki Kamiya...

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Tbh it IS pretty weird that some people are open to another FE char now. I think though it's because not only were people given the opportunity to actually try the recent game, but also because all 4 of the recent installment's potential chars have unique weapons.

As for me, I just don't really like Corrin's design too much, or the game he's from. Personal preference on my part, like always.

I'm not too big on the SwSh starters. Inteleon's my fav, but only relatively speaking. I WILL say though, that Cinderace is growing on me b/c he reminds me of King Kazma from Summer Wars and I loved that movie.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Also the weird-ass hands in their dragon form

Walking around on their knuckles like a ****in gorrila
As crud, now that I really never noticed, I thought those were spikes.

While I've never played the games, here's what a friend of mine who is much more familiar with the series has to say:

From what I understand, the series has enough FF-style original human characters in it that you could completely avoid referencing the Disney characters (in challenge mode, spirit battles, stage cameos, etc) and still have plenty of original characters left over.
Coming from a massive KH fan, this is accurate. Even if Sora wasn't able to use his Mickey emblem he has Oathkeeper to fall back on which is his other main keyblade with no Disney ties at all.
81vwba0gvvL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace

Absolutely Disgusting.
In my native language toes roughly translates to fingers of the feet but this is taking it too far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom