• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
But why does Sakurai even owe an apology for Rex not making the cut? Its not like we were promised Rex and then it didn't happen. Sakurai could have not said anything about Rex at all
Not to mention that ARMS was released even earlier than Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and didn't even get an apology. Rex got more than he deserved plenty.

I.D.

Smash Lord
But why does Sakurai even owe an apology for Rex not making the cut? Its not like we were promised Rex and then it didn't happen. Sakurai could have not said anything about Rex at all
I don't know, you'd have to ask the man himself. Personally I believe the actual reason is a lot more cynical but whatever.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not to mention that ARMS was released even earlier than Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and didn't even get an apology. Rex got more than he deserved plenty.
“Hey Rex! We’re sorry we couldn’t make you playable but we’ll make you a costume that comes for free when people buy the pass! Spring Man? All you get is an Assist Trophy and some spirits of your friends, bye.”

ARMS was done SO dirty ;-;

Calamitas

Smash Champion
“Hey Rex! We’re sorry we couldn’t make you playable but we’ll make you a costume that comes for free when people buy the pass! Spring Man? All you get is an Assist Trophy and some spirits of your friends, bye.”

Not to mention that 2 got three songs, whereas there isn't a single track from ARMS in the game (I think?). I admittedly never got ARMS (only got a Switch on Christmas 2017, and there were already enough other things for me to play there), but the main theme alone is already pretty great.

BlackInk

Smash Lord

Idk, a 25$ costume paywall sounds pretty bad.
1575229004004.jpeg

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

Spring man did get a Costume...and it's free

I.D.

Smash Lord
...And a mii costume that doesn't require you to pay 25 dollars.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
So anything happen last night after the Verge deconfirmations?

Eh... That scene is honestly what kind of put me off of the series for a long while, and I'm still kind of marginal on it even now.

It's like seeing the Pokemon world as depicted in the more recent Pokedex entries... I no longer wish to be a part of that world.

Fun things should be fun, dammit.
I personally love it. Smash needs more villain representation and Reimu would be great!

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Quick question, how does painfully safe make the community reenergized when literally anything can be an unironic suggestion now
I think Nintendo going 1st/2nd party with the potential of upgrading assist trophies/spirits is anything but painfully safe. Especially when we have newer games like Astral Chain, Arms, Pokemon, Three Houses, maybe Bayo 3, etc to potentially draw from.

And of course Tropical Freeze and DIXIE

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I don't believe that I was owed an apology for Rex not making it in, but I do think that Sakurai taking the time to single him out like that means that he obviously holds XC2 in high regard.

Elma would still be an awesome Xenoblade rep but I'm feeling pretty good about Rex's chances for post-pass if upgrades are a thing.

The reason nobody complained about Rex being a 25 buck costume is because nobody likes Rex, if you liked XB2 he wasn't the reason why
I like Rex.

He's somewhat generic and leans hard into shounen troupes, sure, but he's still likeable and even fairly charismatic in the Japanese version.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
As a Rex supporter, I think getting a personal apology, along with the implication that he's big enough to be considered an incentive to buy the FP, is more than enough. Does it make up for non-playability? Well, no, but it's much more than most characters end up getting.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
...And a mii costume that doesn't require you to pay 25 dollars.
I wonder how many people actually bought the pass just for the Rex costume and not for the fact that it includes all 5 of the Pass characters for 5 dollars cheaper.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Not to mention that 2 got three songs, whereas there isn't a single track from ARMS in the game (I think?). I admittedly never got ARMS (only got a Switch on Christmas 2017, and there were already enough other things for me to play there), but the main theme alone is already pretty great.
Well if you guys want to keep playing this "who is the most oppressed victim" game then one can also bring up XB2 didn't even get an assist trophy... and I still fail to see how any of this leads to Elma.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Were they expecting him to just flat out say "Yes, please look forward to Sora joining the battle in Super Smash Bros Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch"? This "disconfirmation" means nothing.

Also:

"I believe this same level of surprise should be expected for the other remaining DLC fighters, which would mean we can somewhat rule out the fighters sought after by community; Sora, Waluigi and Banjo-Kazooie."

This part didn't age well at all.
That quote indeed did not age well, but nor did the defense of Steve after community managers spoke out against his inclusion. I think when folks directly involved with a character speak one way or another so openly about a character it really does not bode well for their inclusion.

D

Deleted member

Castlevania was done dirty. They didn't even include the Arcade version of Bloody Tears.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I wonder how many people actually bought the pass just for the Rex costume and not for the fact that it includes all 5 of the Pass characters for 5 dollars cheaper.
None, but no matter how much one tries to spin it: having your costume for free in the base game beats having it locked behind a paywall for other content that you may or may not want.

Essentially the effective result is this:
You want the Rex mii costume but you don't want every character in the fighter's pass? Then you don't get the Rex' mii costume because you (hopefully) aren't willing to spend $25 on a costume.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
We all know all Rex "fans" are actually Pyra fans who hope she would be controllable. :awesome:

It's a joke, don't kill me

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
ARMS will be fine. So long as Nintendo doesn't ditch the franchise and tries to build upon the concept like they did with Splatoon, it can get a character at any time.

Rex is on a time crunch, but I think he has a while before the next real Xenoblade sequel.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
seeing how much divided most of us are..i already know that the next character reveal is going to end up being a saltfest 1 way or another lol

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Ok, but a lot of companies that would have a character considered for Smash are out of the running for FP5. Idk about you but I can’t really imagine a Rockstar IP character (unpopular in Japan), Idea Factory character (relatively obscure and some may not be CERO friendly), or some other indie character being FP5. And as much as I would LOVE Gunvolt (IntiCreates), I acknowledge that realistically he’s a pipe dream.
It's gonna be Bethesda

You heard it here first, folks!

During Chrom's reveal, I think even the Fire Emblem detractors gave him a pass because of how he was done dirty back in Smash 4's Robin/Lucina trailer.

Either that or because he exudes primal Matt Mercer energy.
It's probably because his inclusion was a little more understandable, since he was a fan request echo who's model was already in the game, so making him didn't take much time.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
ARMS will be fine. So long as Nintendo doesn't ditch the franchise and tries to build upon the concept like they did with Splatoon, it can get a character at any time.

Rex is on a time crunch, but I think he has a while before the next real Xenoblade sequel.
he is on a time crunch, but not Elma, as to not really spoil anything major, Xenoblade X ended on a sequel hook that if there is a sequel, it'll likely be a direct one and star Elma once again.

"This story never truly ends..."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can accept ARMS only getting an assist trophy, 2 costumes and spirits. It was in the same position as Xenoblade 2 and also a new IP on top of it.
What I cannot accept is the complete lack of music for it. I mean come on.
Come
On
Dude

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
you guys mario was done so dirty

how DARE masahiro sakurai not include Pink Gold Peach

i believe i am owed a formal apology and at least one bagajillion dollars in reparations

im waiting nintendo

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Honestly, people are mad sleepin' on Astral Chain.

Platinum period is kind of being ignored.
Astral Chain isn't slept on that much tbqh.

It's because damn near most if not all of the games they develop are published by other companies. One Platinum game that hasn't been brought up that has Vanquish, Bayonetta, and Madworld characters and or content in it is Anarchy Reigns aka Max Anarchy. Btw that game was underrated af. Look at this s***.

I used Rin, Blacker Baron, and Sasha Ivanoff but there was a character who transformed into a f***ing spaceship for his dash and teammates could ride on top of him.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
During Chrom's reveal, I think even the Fire Emblem detractors gave him a pass because of how he was done dirty back in Smash 4's Robin/Lucina trailer.

Either that or because he exudes primal Matt Mercer energy.
I mean, Dark Samus and K. Rool were also revealed, so I don't think anyone was in a mood to complain that day anyway.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
seeing how much divided most of us are..i already know that the next character reveal is going to end up being a saltfest 1 way or another lol
Is it weird that that's 50% of why I'm personally so excited for the next reveal? Nothing defines self-centered first-world entitlement like a large group of people screaming online over the inclusion of a character to a game with a roster that's already 80+ haha.

I love speculation. I just love sitting back and laughing at the tidal waves of salt even more.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
he is on a time crunch, but not Elma, as to not really spoil anything major, Xenoblade X ended on a sequel hook that if there is a sequel, it'll likely be a direct one and star Elma once again.

"This story never truly ends..."
inb4 XC3 turns out to be a direct sequel to XC2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom