• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
You know I struggle to think of another company that would be this tight-lipped about something that isn’t Disney.

The only other company I could think of is Sony but I really struggle to think who Nintendo would choose from them tbh.
All of the companies are fairly tight-lipped, and it's usually a stupid mistake that leads to official leaks.
The unofficial stuff dropped by leakers seems to always follow one the above mistakes or falls immediately before the announcement anyway. :-\

Could be Disney, could be Bamco, could be Nexon or NCSoft. Silence isn't really much of an indicator.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
You know I struggle to think of another company that would be this tight-lipped about something that isn’t Disney.

The only other company I could think of is Sony but I really struggle to think who Nintendo would choose from them tbh.
Capcom is definitely not one of them. MegaMan, Ryu, and Ken were all leaked before their actual reveals. Ryu is the special case, considering he was datamined along with Roy. Still, Capcom so far has a history with getting their characters leaked for Smash. Which is so weird because they have just as much big deal characters that could make it into the game.

If not Sora, I could still see the 5th character being either Leon or Jill. The only thing they have against them, is "another Capcom character" but other than that, I think a lot of people would be okay with Resident Evil ending this pass. Someone like Jill or Leon would be a good and bi TGA reveal as well.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Sora or Master Chief at the VGAs should be outlawed due to the catastrophic damage the nuclear hype reaction would cause

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Sora would basically be universally loved. Say what you will about KH as a series, it's one of the most iconic RPG series' of this generation and Sora is THE iconic action RPG protagonist. Tons of great music, a cool possible Traverse Town stage, tons of moves and abilities, and cross-demographic appeal. What's not to love?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Sora would basically be universally loved. Say what you will about KH as a series, it's one of the most iconic RPG series' of this generation and Sora is THE iconic action RPG protagonist. Tons of great music, a cool possible Traverse Town stage, tons of moves and abilities, and cross-demographic appeal. What's not to love?
They are owned Disney though especially since a certain South Park episode highlighted something about them.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
The only way I'd be super stoked about Sora getting in is if Night of Fate made it in as a track. For some reason, that track stuck with me despite my general disinterest in the series overall (had some fun with KH1 but never finished it, never played the others).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
correct me if im wrong tho, but wasn't Sora at least deconfirmed for this pass? I think some Square-Enix France representative said they weren't contacted for Sora

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
They are owned Disney though
Disney would have no issue with putting Sora/original KH content in Smash.

The question would be if they would put Disney stuff in Smash.

The only way I'd be super stoked about Sora getting in is if Night of Fate made it in as a track.
oof, sorry man. Sakurai said that the song is too sexy for Smash

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Sora would be so freakin' cool but I'm personally never sure what to think about the actual odds given the wild card that is Disney.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
correct me if im wrong tho, but wasn't Sora at least deconfirmed for this pass? I think some Square-Enix France representative said they weren't contacted for Sora
Nope, it was Donald Reignoux, the French VA for Sora that explained that he wasn't called back for the role for KH3 as for some reasons, KH3 doesn't have any foreign dub even though 1 and 2 did.

Then there was some random student asking Hashimoto if Sora was in smash During a master-class and he said no.
But let's be honest.
Would he even say yes?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If you’re talking about the thing with Shinji Hashimoto he stopped working on the Kingdom Hearts series after 3 and is more of a general product manager at Square now, so it’s highly unlikely he’d actually know for sure if Sora was in nor would he be able to say anything about it because NDAs.
I literally could not care less about KH but I'll riot if Sora gets in and doesn't have ice cream involved with his trailer. Who else will he eat it with?
Have him eat ice cream with Terry pls.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Gimme a reveal trailer where Villager is fishing on his lil island, and dark storm clouds appear overhead.

WoL bad guys (Bowser, Ganondorf, etc) appear and attack the villager. The little guy gets knocked tf away and goes flying into the sand.

As he digs his head out the sand, he looks up to find a keyblade stabbed into the ground. Sora helps the villager up and brushes the sand off of the little guy.

Sora marches into battle w/ Link, Shulk, Marth, and the other swordsmen/women behind him. Cut to gameplay with this playing underneath:

Thats my TED Talk

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I want Sora’s trailer to start off where Joker’s left off, where Sora comes in and takes back the invitation Joker stole resulting in a stand-off between the two. (Can I also just say they make perfect sense as rivals?)

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
My stance on Sora is essentially, "Well... At least it's not more FF7, so it's at least something fresh".

But then I look at everything else SE has and it's like... Yeah, let's go with one of these instead.

"This is [somewhat bearable], but I like this", as it were.

I want Sora’s trailer to start off where Joker’s left off, where Sora comes in and takes back the invitation Joker stole resulting in a stand-off between the two. (Can I also just say they make perfect sense as rivals?)
Any continuation to that trailer that doesn't lead to Carmen Sandiego, Garrett, or Sly Cooper is just a wasted opportunity.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Not gonna lie, if Sora made it in I'd be down for some Disney content as long as it's just stuff like music. There are a ton of amazing Disney games with great music, especially on the SNES/Genesis with games like Castle of Illusion and both versions of Aladdin.

Would also probably be the only way we'd get one of the most memorable 8-bit era songs into Smash.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, if we don't get any new development until the 7th, TGA is going to look very likely. With that in mind, here's what I think:

- We know CP5 is not: Crash, Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, Geno or Scorpion

- CP5 is probably not from anyone companies in the Pass (Sega, SE, Microsoft and SNK)

- CP5 could be from a different genre (or subgenre) than characters already in the Pass (JRPGs, platformers and fighting games)

- Considering the TGA environment, it would probably be a choice that can resonate relatively well with the general audience rather than a more niche pick or a big fan request.

- At the same time, considering it's the last character of the season and Smash frontloads things, it would also be a relatively "safe" pick to end the Pass on a good enough note, but not nearly the curveball that Joker was.

With all of these in mind... yeah, after the 7th, I'm gonna double down on my bet for a RE character. Jill or Leon seem like the best way to fit all of this.
1- Except that's not true? Does it come from an official source? If either Nintendo or Sakurai himself says so, then it's true... Remember the "no-non videogame characters cannot get in" statement (Please do NOT mention Sabi/Vergeben/irrelevant leaker... If I have to debunk this "insider" crap, I will do it, no problem... No offense to you as a person, friend... I'm just annoyed at this argument element, lmao).

2- Pretty much, it would be non-sensical that other companies will be represented twice... For the standalone DLC everything goes and this rule is broken.

3- Could be, but seeing the same genre in, it could be another JRPG.

4- False, Joker wasn't really expected at the Game Awards at all, and I'm pretty sure it was Sakurai's pick rather than a popular choice.

5- Depends... We don't know if Japanese people has the same ethics as us... They could reveal something completely disappointing instead of leaving one of the best features for last.

Even if I'm a Doomguy supporter, the other competition is still not out of the running for me, unless an official source is given, so might as well stay on my toes.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I dunno, the way y'all are acting like you're totally closing in on who FP5 is gonna be reminds me of how Doom Lad and Blue Boruto's Dad were totally 100% gonna be FP4 and 5 before Terry was revealed.

I literally could not care less about KH but I'll riot if Sora gets in and doesn't have ice cream involved with his trailer. Who else will he eat it with?
That was Roxas though, not Sora.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Not gonna lie, if Sora made it in I'd be down for some Disney content as long as it's just stuff like music. There are a ton of amazing Disney games with great music, especially on the SNES/Genesis with games like Castle of Illusion and both versions of Aladdin.

Would also probably be the only way we'd get one of the most memorable 8-bit era songs into Smash.
It'd be pretty wild if Sora's inclusion meant a slew of songs from Disney games

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

I would LOVE having the moon theme but I’m kinda confused on who owns the composition rights for the Capcom-developed Disney Afternoon games.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I mean, people don't have to acknowledge Vergeben if they don't want to, but to say he and other insiders are "irrelevant" or "full of it" is kinda shortsighted when they are clearly not and things very clearly leaked.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I mean, people don't have acknowledge Vergeben if they don't want to, but to say he and other insiders are "irrelevant" or "full of it" is kinda shortsighted when they are clearly not and things very clearly leaked.
But how else will I get attention if not by acting super arrogant?

Sora X
RoXas

I know this much about how nobodies work, just like how Xemnas is Man Sex
Nah, he's Se-
*banned*

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly, if we don't get any new development until the 7th, TGA is going to look very likely. With that in mind, here's what I think:

- We know CP5 is not: Crash, Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, Geno or Scorpion

- CP5 is probably not from anyone companies in the Pass (Sega, SE, Microsoft and SNK)

- CP5 could be from a different genre (or subgenre) than characters already in the Pass (JRPGs, platformers and fighting games)

- Considering the TGA environment, it would probably be a choice that can resonate relatively well with the general audience rather than a more niche pick or a big fan request.

- At the same time, considering it's the last character of the season and Smash frontloads things, it would also be a relatively "safe" pick to end the Pass on a good enough note, but not nearly the curveball that Joker was.

With all of these in mind... yeah, after the 7th, I'm gonna double down on my bet for a RE character. Jill or Leon seem like the best way to fit all of this.
It's not Tracer either, probably also not Rex if Rex is DLC at all, cause why put the playable Rex in the same pass his Mii Costume is included in? Again, if he were to be playable DLC.

Im still thinking FP5 is a Namco rep myself, but probably not Heihachi. If you want someone who can resonate well with the general audience, I'd say Lloyd or a different Tales character. KOS-MOS could be the safe pick, maybe even Nightmare or someone else from Soul Calibur.

1- Except that's not true? Does it come from an official source? If either Nintendo or Sakurai himself says so, then it's true... Remember the "no-non videogame characters cannot get in" statement (Please do NOT mention Sabi/Vergeben/irrelevant leaker... If I have to debunk this "insider" crap, I will do it, no problem... No offense to you as a person, friend... I'm just annoyed at this argument element, lmao).

2- Pretty much, it would be non-sensical that other companies will be represented twice... For the standalone DLC everything goes and this rule is broken.

4- False, Joker wasn't really expected at the Game Awards at all, and I'm pretty sure it was Sakurai's pick rather than a popular choice.

5- Depends... We don't know if Japanese people has the same ethics as us... They could reveal something completely disappointing instead of leaving one of the best features for last.

Even if I'm a Doomguy supporter, the other competition is still not out of the running for me, unless an official source is given, so might as well stay on my toes.
For the first one, various insiders connected to Vergeben and Sabi have confirmed FP5 is neither of these characters: Geno, Doom Slayer, Scorpion, Crash, Ryu Hayabusa or Tracer. That much is certain

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Gimme a reveal trailer where Villager is fishing on his lil island, and dark storm clouds appear overhead.

WoL bad guys (Bowser, Ganondorf, etc) appear and attack the villager. The little guy gets knocked tf away and goes flying into the sand.

As he digs his lil head out the sand, he looks up to find a keyblade stabbed into the ground. Sora helps the villager up and brushes the sand off of the little guy.

Sora marches into battle w/ Link, Shulk, Marth, and the other swordsmen/women behind him. Cut to gameplay with this playing underneath:

Thats my TED Talk
Aight so this is a great trailer idea, but what if Villager picks up the Keyblade and becomes a Keyblade Master?

Either way I'd say we win.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Aight so this is a great trailer idea, but what if Villager picks up the Keyblade and becomes a Keyblade Master?

Either way I'd say we win.
lol fun idea.

Ive always liked the idea of Villager wielding his axe alongside link and the master sword, shulk and the monado, and sora w the keyblade

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I would LOVE having the moon theme but I’m kinda confused on who owns the composition rights for the Capcom-developed Disney Afternoon games.
I think it could be Capcom who owns the rights but regardless I'm pretty sure Disney has the rights to the Virgin Interactive games like Lion King and the Genesis version of Aladdin. If Sora comes with Disney themed elements I think those two worlds are pretty much guaranteed in some form.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
We don't know this actually

Gonna answer them together because it's basically the same thing:

1 - I don't think anyone can debunk that for sure, but... oh well. Vergeben has only been wrong twice so far out of like 10+ info batches for Ultimate (Minecraft content and "Erdrick" being the first DLC) and Sabi has leaked a lot of stuff in the past, including entire E3 presentations. Could they be wrong in this? Sure. But to call them "lucky guesses" is just trying to deny reality at this point. You can say you don't like an insider all you want, but... it doesn't really mean anything for their credibility.

For 2 and 3 - Of course that's not a hard fact, that's pretty much why I marked most of the post as my thoughts. I think it makes sense though, considering how the Pass is mostly advertised as a whole. Nintendo would probably want to have some variety in there to reach the largest audience possible. Could it be another JRPG character? Yes. I just think it's unlikely, though not impossible.

4 - I never said Joker was expected. But just look at the reaction videos from the people who were at the presentation and you'll see that it was definitely a character that resonated well with them. That's the point.

5 - Again, I didn't say the last character would be "the best", I said it would be a "safe" pick. Nearly everyone here has speculated on more Capcom characters and Resident Evil always appears as a frontrunner in these conversations. It's not a crazy curveball most people don't take seriously like Joker nor a core fan pick like Banjo and Kazooie, but it's still one that people speculate about. Also, I really doubt they'd reveal a character that only appeals to Japan at TGA - it certainly wasn't the case with Joker.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I mean, people don't have to acknowledge Vergeben if they don't want to, but to say he and other insiders are "irrelevant" or "full of it" is kinda shortsighted when they are clearly not and things very clearly leaked.
I don’t think anyone is really dismissing him or any of the other known leakers here. We’re just noting how most of them have become pretty quiet around character speculation all of a sudden since Terry.

It also doesn’t help that Sabis “source” does know who the character is but isn’t comfortable with saying a name. The teasing also has come off as a bit agitating, if the tweets are anything to go by.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It's not Tracer either, probably also not Rex if Rex is DLC at all, cause why put the playable Rex in the same pass his Mii Costume is included in? Again, if he were to be playable DLC.

Im still thinking FP5 is a Namco rep myself, but probably not Heihachi. If you want someone who can resonate well with the general audience, I'd say Lloyd or a different Tales character. KOS-MOS could be the safe pick, maybe even Nightmare or someone else from Soul Calibur.
Wait, why is it not Tracer? Did I miss something?

I have a really hard time seeing KOS-MOS as a safe pick. Tales or Souls are looking way more likely at this point in time... and even then, I don't personally think CP5 is Namco. While they have a big pool of potential characters, their costumes being completely absent makes me think we'll have to wait for season 2 to get a character from them.

On Sora: while he is my most wanted character right now, I don't know if he'd be CP5. For starters, he seems like way too big of a deal both inside and outside the core fanbase to be saved for last - unless Sakurai decided to forego the frontloaded reveals and really wanted to end season 1 with a bang. Plus, considering the stuff with Disney, he's not what most would consider an expected addition (though I think most of the "Disney evil" stuff is bogus) and as such would still be too big of a curveball to end a season in imo.

I think Sora seems more likely as the first season 2 character or as an E3 reveal, at least in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom