• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
To be entirely fair, the vast majority of the public thinks that Pokemon was a Japanese cartoon that was a fad in the late 90's and it suddenly, out of nowhere came back as Pokemon Go.

Or at least that's the impression I got from reading the old people news sites.
The card game was huge as well during its initial launch.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The card game was huge as well during its initial launch.
True but the kind of audience who watches ye olde cable newes doesn't consider the cards a separate entity with a game to them. They may as well be the cartoon's bubblegum stickers.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Bandai Namco helped develop Super Smash, so maybe our updates and patch notes reach Soul Calubur levels of trolling. This is official.
*Increased the number of opportunities for Groh to shout his move names, so that his allies may better appreciate them
What if they did that for Captain Falcon or some ****?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Bandai Namco helped develop Super Smash, so maybe our updates and patch notes reach Soul Calubur levels of trolling. This is official.

What if they did that for Captain Falcon or some ****?
A friend of mine loathes Terry's shouting considering how often Terry gets to pull off special moves so I for one, am completely down for it

SKX31

Smash Master
A major China update? Huh?

Additonal tweet.

A couple comments:

First, Nintendo looks to be front and centre. Tencent's only mentioned in the top right blurb, alongside the warranty. The Switch mightve survived the regulatory hell without many issues at all.

Second, not surprised to see NSMBU as the bundled game since it was the first approved. There hasn't been any news on other games yet, but we'll hear about it soon.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Digimon did not start out as an anime and anyone who thinks that is severely uninformed about the franchise. It actually started as a series of virtual pets, although there's a debate as to whether the V-Pets count as video games or as toys.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I love Fire Emblem, it’s honestly one of my favorite video game series, but it’s representation in Smash does feel a little... bloated imo. Even though I absolutely love Edelgard, adding her or anyone else from 3H wouldn’t really have a major impact to me because there’s just so many other characters already repping the series.

But seriously Edelgard is the best, stop calling her a villain, you all are just lousy Church apologists, no I didn’t misspell her name the first time.
When you're the villain of the first few chapters as the Flame Emperor, and villain of 75% of the games routes, having only a lackluster route with the fewest chapters in the game which feels rushed, and having you side with the character after a battle where you actively fight whilst backstabbing the institution that gave you a home and job in the first place... Yes then you're the villain. Those who slighter in the dark are the obvious big bad, but Edelgard decided to side with them DESPITE knowing what they do, and what they did to her. 'We did this all to create a perfect ruler to conquer all of Fodlan' Edelgard: 'Hmm yeah let's go with that despite it ruining my whole life, seems a reasonable logical decision'.

Siding with Dimitri is the most honourable way to go.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Digimon did not start out as an anime and anyone who thinks that is severely uninformed about the franchise. It actually started as a series of virtual pets, although there's a debate as to whether the V-Pets count as video games or as toys.
Mr. Game and Watch basically proves that Digimon started as game. Digimon may be way more as anime now, but back in days, tamagochi and virtual pet were pretty phenomenal.

Droodle

Smash Lord
i mean we can see your profile pic.... lol

joker is important in the same way ike is significant to FE. he is the character that pushed the game franchise to new heights. persona has sold 10 million copies as a series. Perona 5 is 2.7 million of that total.
I'm just going to be clear:

Ike's games were absolutely failures in terms of sales; most of his popularity came from Smash and not from his own series until much later.

If we are talking about Joker and sales; FE:A, FE:Fates, and FE:3H are much more relevant then FE RD and FE PoR, which many would argue started the downfall of FE's already niche popularity.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well if ROB counts then I see no problem but it'll be Nintendo and Sakurai's say that determines it in the end.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Mr. Game and Watch basically proves that Digimon started as game. Digimon may be way more as anime now, but back in days, tamagochi and virtual pet were pretty phenomenal.
How does Game & Watch prove that Digimon started as a game?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
When you're the villain of the first few chapters as the Flame Emperor, and villain of 75% of the games routes, having only a lackluster route with the fewest chapters in the game which feels rushed, and having you side with the character after a battle where you actively fight whilst backstabbing the institution that gave you a home and job in the first place... Yes then you're the villain. Those who slighter in the dark are the obvious big bad, but Edelgard decided to side with them DESPITE knowing what they do, and what they did to her. 'We did this all to create a perfect ruler to conquer all of Fodlan' Edelgard: 'Hmm yeah let's go with that despite it ruining my whole life, seems a reasonable logical decision'.

Lmao that's an astonishingly awful take.

People here know that. They're talking about what it's most associated with.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I mean, there is a difference between morally gray antagonists and outright villains.

D

Deleted member

How does Game & Watch prove that Digimon started as a game?
The game & watch devices were practically a bunch of mini games that were nowhere comparable to gaming standards like the SNES, N64, and Gameboy. Despite that, it sold in the millions and appeared in Smash as a character.

While Digimon is not the exact same concept, I think the Game & Watch's inclusion shows that Sakurai wouldn't care if Digimon started out as a digital pet simulator if he wanted to include it.

E: Sorry opo. Did not mean to reply.

As much as I like Dimitri and don't agree with Edelgard, the entire point of Three Houses' narrative is that everyone is the protagonist of their own story. Pigeon holing one lord as the hero king misses the point of the individual routes. It's why the writing comes off as ambiguous.

Though I do agree that Edelgard does a horrible job not looking like the villain--even in her own route where she leads an attack against you before you decide to side with her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Digimon anime was like way after the game's release iirc.
Digimon was already popular as a game before Digimon Adventure. I think there was even like official tournaments of some sort were held several times and those were quite big.
Unlike Pokemon, Digimon got featured a lot on CoroCoro and BonBon at that time, so both CoroCoro kids and BonBon kids were jumping on it. Those two magazines had very different preferences so both sides getting same games/toys was a rare thing.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The game & watch devices were practically a bunch of mini games that were nowhere comparable to gaming standards like the SNES, N64, and Gameboy. Despite that, it sold in the millions and appeared in Smash as a character.

While Digimon is not the exact same concept, I think the Game & Watch's inclusion shows that Sakurai wouldn't care if Digimon started out as a digital pet simulator if he wanted to include it.
So basically Digimon would be fine because it's an interactable experience?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'm honestly still amazed we don't have another Bamco character yet. With how much they've assisted with this game, I would've thought their series would be treated like royalty.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
TBF, The G&W had some very strong positives for its time. First of all, it was the only portable your average Joe / Jane could realistically get before the Game Boy and similar consoles. Sure, LCD games are pretty limited - but in an era when showing portable visuals were incredibly difficult to even display it's a plus to be simple. It saves vital battery life since that tech was far from ready.* I find it telling that Gunpei Yokoi got the idea for G&W by seeing a bored businessman play on a calculator while on a train.

Had Sakurai been stricter and used a definition similar to Ahoy's, G&W would not be in since he'd be an electronic game character. Ahoy also brings up the U.S. patent - G&W is an "Electronic toy with a game function" according to it (there's the loophole for ROB too). Well, if Sakurai allows electronic toys with game functions, that's a boon by itself.

*(That persisted with the Game Boy - sure, simple visuals, but Yokoi knew that battery life was at a premium. If you ask me, I'm just happy recharging is a simple process nowadays instead of back then.)

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm honestly still amazed we don't have another Bamco character yet. With how much they've assisted with this game, I would've thought their series would be treated like royalty.
I guess that's because Sakurai doesn't do "company reps" as we say it.

Seriously, aside from Terry and PAC-MAN bringing multiple franchises with them, there's very little that indicates guest fighter choices being affected by their owner company.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I do wanna point out a little irony though

Bamco is heavily protective of leaks right? Why then was :ultpacman: leaked...? :thinking:

probably because he’s freakin PAC-MAN. that or Namco decided to tighten leak security AFTER that. Idk

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
[

E: Sorry opo. Did not mean to reply.

As much as I like Dimitri and don't agree with Edelgard, the entire point of Three Houses' narrative is that everyone is the protagonist of their own story. Pigeon holing one lord as the hero king misses the point of the individual routes. It's why the writing comes off as ambiguous.

Though I do agree that Edelgard does a horrible job not looking like the villain--even in her own route where she leads an attack against you before you decide to side with her.
All things considered I think Claude counts as the hero of the game. He's a good boi

D

Deleted member

All things considered I think Claude counts as the hero of the game. He's a good boi
Well if you wanna get technical

Claude does fight the big bad of the game, Nemesis, so I mean maybe he is like the Marth of the game but way more likable.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Sakurai worked on a unknown fighter today in this same video, but that may likely be challenger pack 5.
And with this statement, every Smash fan starts twitching nervously as they realize TGA is getting increasingly closer...

Last edited:

Morning Raven

Smash Apprentice
Honestly not to insult anyone, but color theory along with any pattern theory are silly. The pattern was already out of order with Hero and there's nothing to say the next background will be orange and even if it were that doesn't narrow anything down at all. They're basically just picking colors already found on the character themselves and using them as a background to keep the color in the back from clashing with the colors on the character...that doesn't narrow down the list to only include characters who are orange or whatever color however as really all they need is to have the color be present ANYWHERE on their body even in the most minuscule amount...and this is all assuming the pattern will even hold true and that they don't just arbitrarily decide to use a random complmentary color.

Likewise that's looking at it from the finish to the back. To imply the characters were chosen or set to release at a certain time to coincide with a completely unimportant pattern of colors is well nonsensical.
As I mentioned 10+ pages ago, it's not the clothes. Look at the game title that the character is from. Terry's SNK is blue. We should be looking at the fonts of games for likely candidates, and most likely someone with orange lettering that skews red.

A digital interactable experience, which is pretty much video games in their entirety.
So you're saying Miku for Smash to advertise the next Project Diva game coming out next year? Since you know, Miku is essentially another version of Mario Paint, but also is in really popular rhythm games.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
If your argument is that Agumon is unlikely because people don't remember Agumon as a videogame likely, then I agree, but... Doesn't that also hurt KOS-MOS?
Like Lesley mentioned, KOS-MOS is unarguably from a video game and doesn't have an exceedingly popular anime muddying the waters in people's minds.
Speak for yourself. I'm pretty sure me and a host of others were introduced to Digimon through the Digimon Worlds franchise on PS1.
Okay, but were the games more popular than the shows?

My final thoughts on this are that there are over 15 million people playing Ultimate and I don't see why Sakurai would choose a character that would make a chunk of the playerbase say "What? An anime character is DLC?"

osby

Smash Obsessed
So you're saying Miku for Smash to advertise the next Project Diva game coming out next year? Since you know, Miku is essentially another version of Mario Paint, but also is in really popular rhythm games.
Miku is as close to Sirfetch'd as we can get in Smash, so yes please.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Lmao that's an astonishingly awful take.

People here know that. They're talking about what it's most associated with.
If we go by what medium the series is most associated with, then Geralt from Witcher should count since way more people know Geralt by game than the book. But we know that won't happen especially with the way the original author act stingy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If we go by what medium the series is most associated with, then Geralt from Witcher should count since way more people know Geralt by game than the book. But we know that won't happen especially with the way the original author act stingy.
I should clarify that I don't necessarily agree with Digimon being more associated with the anime being seen as a demerit. I just wanted to clarify the stance that many were arguing against. :p

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
And with this statement, every Smash fan starts twitching nervously as they realize TGA is getting increasingly closer...
Whenever we're close to some big event or specified time period, I always get that... "feeling", the kind you get when you just know that something big is coming, but you don't know what it is or when it will come, and you have no other choice but to wait.

I'm starting to get that "feeling" right now...

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Like Lesley mentioned, KOS-MOS is unarguably from a video game and doesn't have an exceedingly popular anime muddying the waters in people's minds.

Okay, but were the games more popular than the shows?

My final thoughts on this are that there are over 15 million people playing Ultimate and I don't see why Sakurai would choose a character that would make a chunk of the playerbase say "What? An anime character is DLC?"
Who cares if people think it originated in anime?

Do you have any idea how many people think that Pokémon originated from an anime?

I used to think that Reimu was an anime character, does that make her less likely?

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Sakurai worked on a unknown fighter today in this same video, but that may likely be challenger pack 5.
He just said "I was working on things like fighter(s) that you still don't know."
He didn't use any suspicious or meaningful words like "unknown".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom