• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Ok, that's fine, but you said did anyone care for TGA before Joker and yeah, a ton of people did because Nintendo announces a lot of **** there.
Was it a ton? Because I saw, like, 5 people here saying they don't watch that crap, and you're like the only one that went "Hell yeah I watched it! Who wouldn't?!"

I don't know if that series would get a character.
It's the 2nd most likely ArcSys character...AFTER KUNIO.

Maybe I worded that wrong lol. I meant a character like Piranha; not technically part of the next pass, but just a bonus for buying said pass.
PP was a bonus for preordering the game though. The Rex costume was the bonus for getting the pass.

So basically all we know about FP5 at the moment is that it's not Scorpion, Ryu, Crash, Geno, or Doomslayer and that Sabi has a name but can't reveal it in any way since it will expose her source
If by "know" you mean, "fake leakers with no actual info have said this" then sure...that's all we know.

You’re just too prideful to say “maybe it’s possible but I doubt it”.
...isn't that exactly what you're doing?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Out of all of Valve's characters, Gordon makes the most sense because Half-Life is their biggest IP.

However, I think it's kind of a shame because Team Fortress 2, out of all of Valve's franchises, feels like it'd jive well the most with Smash, in terms of characters, aesthetics, music, etc

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Ngl I’d seriously question things if Half-Life were represented in Smash before Portal.

Portal in general is just more marketable and almost always used to represent Valve in crossovers and the like, GLaDoS in particular is basically a gaming icon at this point and both the first and second games are considered among the greatest games of all time.

I’m not trying to necessarily undersell Half-Life but I just think for a big mascot party fighter something like Portal would fit a lot more, that’s just my take tho.
What you said about Portal also applies to Half-Life. Half-Life 1 completely changed narrative storytelling in video games with how the player interacts with the environment and characters to progress the story. Half-Life 2 had a mind boggling physics engine that showed how physic mechanics can be implemented into gameplay. And now we have Half-Life Alyx which is probably gonna change VR gaming completely. As for crossovers, Freeman himself isn't new to crossovers. He appeared in the PC version of FFXV as a playable skin. Out of all of Valve's IPs, Half-Life is the most revolutionary of them all with how impactful it's been to gaming as a whole.

In regards to Smash itself, Gordon has a wide variety of weapons that lend themselves well to Smash *cough* gravity gun *cough* . It also helps Sakurai actually talked about Half-Life in detail in an interview and praised it immensely. I like Chell, but I have to say that Gordon interests me for Smash more due to his unique weaponry and the importance of the Half-Life franchise to gaming as a whole.

D

Deleted member

Honestly what do people expect when they pick these weird, made up fantasy names like Gordon and Isaac?

I'm not a mind-reader. Pick normal names like Edelgard, Heihachi and Decidueye.
The folks at my Mobile Legends pub tell me that Esmeralda, Khufra, and Faramis are the first post-pass DLC. :p

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
What’s this Gordon talk?

The only Gordon in video game I know is freeman (I’m still confused why he’s the greatest super hero of all time according to game spot)

He wasn’t hinted was he?

Edit: oh a leak that saids he’s the 5th pack where is this leak? If it’s 4chan somewhat nevermind

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
There was a problem fetching the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Some Sabi tweets from earlier today, for what it's worth. Hadn't seen them posted yet.
Hardly anybody in the industry seems to know the next character right now. Only one source I have has heard a name
Namco is flexing as we speak. They’re flexing all ten of their abs.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
What’s this Gordon talk?

The only Gordon in video game I know is freeman (I’m still confused why he’s the greatest super hero of all time according to game spot)

He wasn’t hinted was he?
There was a shoddy, easily fakable leak that predicted accurate Half Life info and said that Gordon Freeman is Fighter 5.
Sabi basically said, "Possible. I can neither confirm nor deny."

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
My uncle's dog and Sakurai's dog came from the same litter, and he told me the Fighter 5 is Nonspecific Action Figure.

Everyone knows Sakurai has a cat, not a dog.

Otherwise completely believable.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
...isn't that exactly what you're doing?”
I haven’t criticized any theories about fighters. I do criticize “leaks” because they are a completely different beast.

D

Deleted member

What’s this Gordon talk?

He wasn’t hinted was he?
Apparently there was a discord chat that claimed that Gordon was getting revealed as a Smash Fighter at the Game Awards. Sabi stepped forward and said that she couldn't confrim or deny.
There was a shoddy, easily fakable leak that predicted accurate Half Life info and said that Gordon Freeman is Fighter 5.
The leaker did not specify if he was FP5 or not. He could be post-pass for all we know.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Apparently there was a discord chat that claimed that Gordon was getting revealed as a Smash Fighter at the Game Awards. Sabi stepped forward and said that she couldn't confrim or deny.

The leaker did not specify if he was FP5 or not. He could be post-pass for all we know.
It’s likely another “Devil may cry smash invitations”.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ah

Just because he gets something right doesn’t mean he’s right about Gordon freeman

Show me Vergeben saying he’s the 5th pack then start talking

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Gordon would certainly be an interesting character.
But on a list of characters I actively desire, Gordon is pretty low.
Honestly, though, I got Sonic in Brawl, Mega Man AND Cloud in 4, and Banjo-Kazooie in Ultimate.
All I can even ask for now is Crash, Spyro, Doom Slayer, and Rayman. That's my dream DLC lineup.

D

Deleted member

Ah

Just because he gets something right doesn’t mean he’s right about Gordon freeman

Show me Vergeben saying he’s the 5th pack then start talking
Fortunately Verge hasn;t said anything yet. Wait till a major leak drops before you all call to him for the Word of the Lourd.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The only thing I can definitively say I would bet on right now is that Fighter 5 is 100% likely third party and will 65% likely have an orange background.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Can I just say, I'm super tired of the "cults of personality" that form around certain leakers. Like, absolutely exhausted. It's always the same people opening their mouths to say absolutely nothing of substance and then people using that for speculation. It just feels so manufactured and played out, and we don't even have the consistent beats of Vergeben with base game to semi-justify this continued attention. Honestly, the whole leaker "worshiping" (or even just constant attention giving) make me want to participate less in Smash discussions at this point.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
The only thing I can definitively say I would bet on right now is that Fighter 5 is 100% likely third party and will 65% likely have an orange background.
Why orange?
Can I just say, I'm super tired of the "cults of personality" that form around certain leakers. Like, absolutely exhausted. It's always the same people opening their mouths to say absolutely nothing of substance and then people using that for speculation. It just feels so manufactured and played out, and we don't even have the consistent beats of Vergeben with base game to semi-justify this continued attention. Honestly, the whole leaker "worshiping" (or even just constant attention giving) make me want to participate less in Smash discussions at this point.
I feel like we ignore a lot of critical information from Nintendo themselves when we depend on those guys. I feel like when I’m supoosed to get so-called “evidence”, I’m supposed to quote one of those douchebags. Why doesn’t anyone want to look into how Nintendo might market their dlc fighters and their perspectives on the marketing?

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Honestly what do people expect when they pick these weird, made up fantasy names like Gordon and Isaac?

I'm not a mind-reader. Pick normal names like Edelgard, Heihachi and Decidueye.
Boorish Banneret said:
Nay, I know of no heretics. Do you honestly expect me to keep track of every Raitmeaux, Vairemont, and Bertennant that wanders in and out of camp?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
I just think that Namco Bandai would prioritize a bunch of other characters over KOS-MOS. To me, she's the fifth likeliest Namco Bandai character, behing Heihachi, Lloyd, Velvet, and Agumon, exactly in that order from first to fourth.
I disagree. It's Lloyd and KOS-MOS first now. Heihachi is without a doubt not getting in as fighter #5. This is evident when you realize he didn't come as a mii costume so that costume is going to come with Lloyd or KOS-MOS.

D

Deleted member

And will probably be colored blue, since blue is complementary to orange. I mean, it's more visually appealing in my opinion.

ES. Dinah ES. Dinah amirite?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Why orange?
Because Color Theory, as silly as it looks on the surface, makes too much sense for marketing purposes.

Though, granted, Nintendo could put an orange background on any character like how Roy's background is green.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
[Removed images for mobile]

Well... Sol wouldn't look the same per se, but I bet Sakurai would find a way to make it work. To quote Maximillian Dood: "Ken looks better than Ken literally ever did in 3D." So I think Sakurai and team would be able to translate GG's art style in some way.
Makes me hope that if Crash gets in, he doesn't have the fugly grouchy eyed appearance he does in the remake games.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If fighter #5 is not from Namco then Heihachi rises as the frontrunner Namco rep for post-pass DLC. It makes his Mii costume disappearance from Terry's video all the more bizarre if they weren't saving it for a Namco fighter.

D

Deleted member

Makes me hope that if Crash gets in, he doesn't have the fugly grouchy eyed appearance he does in the remake games.
I mean, when would Sakurai ever utilize the more grouchier appearances when he goes for the ones that the fans will love? I mean, look at BK; the design is faithful to the original games and modernizing it to appeal to both older and younger fans.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I mean, when would Sakurai ever utilize the more grouchier appearances when he goes for the ones that the fans will love? I mean, look at BK; the design is faithful to the original games and modernizing it to appeal to both older and younger fans.
I think the current N. Sane Crash model is perfect.
It's the old OG style with modern shading and fur textures.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I disagree. It's Lloyd and KOS-MOS first now. Heihachi is without a doubt not getting in as fighter #5. This is evident when you realize he didn't come as a mii costume so that costume is going to come with Lloyd or KOS-MOS.
Then again, a lack of a mii costume neither confirms nor denies anything. While it’s possible his mii costume is returning with a different Namco rep, it’s also possible that it was cut because he will be made playable.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Because Color Theory, as silly as it looks on the surface, makes too much sense for marketing purposes.

Does it though? I think it'll factor into people picking up character five as much as purple factored into people picking up Hero.

Abade

Smash Apprentice
D

Deleted member

Because a rainbow is Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple.
If you include Piranha Plant, the only primary color left is orange.
Don't exaclty bet on the rainbow theory. I mean, Sakurai isn't aiming for an exact pattern here anyway. It could literally be anyone. I applaud your guess, but it's quite sketchy every way you look at it. Was Smash 4 DLC themed after anything anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDWBhiSAxx6WR5sle9fhPHgV
https://web.archive.org/web/2019112...ylist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDWBhiSAxx6WR5sle9fhPHgV
https://web.archive.org/web/2019112...ylist?list=PL2JiZAV5BmDWBhiSAxx6WR5sle9fhPHgV
Looks like they have two private videos on the Nintendo/Super Smash Bros playlist. It was last updated on November 8, 2019. It could be something new or it could be for Terry’s presentation and trailer since it is absent for whatever reason.
*begins to fold the next set of origami*

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Then again, a lack of a mii costume neither confirms nor denies anything. While it’s possible his mii costume is returning with a different Namco rep, it’s also possible that it was cut because he will be made playable.
They don’t cut costumes of playable characters.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the characters will app have different background colors but they won't have been chosesn because of them.

D

Deleted member

I think the characters will app have different background colors but they won't have been chosesn because of them.
This honestly hurts speculation a lot though, since this limits the oppurtunities for other characters to be discussed.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The thing about colour theory is even if it's true, it won't be proven until it's too late to determine anything, and it never helped narrow things down in the first place.

So what's really the point?

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
All these goofy theories when history has shown us all we really need to see the future is a box.
And I think Color Theory is equally elegant and straightforward as Box Theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom