• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't know if that series would get a character.
I think Smash is long due for an anime fighter, and if Nintendo/Sakurai thinks it's a worth investment, there isn't any better character than Ragna from Blazblue or Sol from Guilty Gear.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think Smash is long due for an anime fighter, and if Nintendo/Sakurai thinks it's a worth investment, there isn't any better character than Ragna from Blazblue or Sol from Guilty Gear.
Those kinds of characters already have a negative reputation from the fanbase, especially if they have blue hair and exclusively use swords.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I don't know if that series would get a character.
There are very few franchises that would be exempt from Sakurai wanting them in. Guilty Gear has just as much chance as any other franchise. If Sakurai wants them in, he'll do what he can to do so. Do I think it likely? Probably not. But with how many fighting game characters being mixed in, I wouldn't be surprised if a GG character made it in with the rest. They'd actually be pretty nuts with how much mobility (land and air) the franchise is known for. I'd be kinda scared. lol
Edit: People wouldn't hate them for having a sword or being 'anime' if they didn't play almost identical to the said sword/anime characters already in Smash.

GG characters would be a whole different game within a game,

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd say echos are specifically circa-Sm4sh/Ultimate clones that build off their base character in the limited way that Isabelle couldn't with Villager.
IDK if maybe they'd make Dixie an Isabelle thing as DLC only because the only other DLC clones we've ever had were semiclone made and pseudoclone level veterans in Sm4sh. We have no idea how similar she could have been to Diddy in the scrapped tag team concept of Brawl, considering Chrom may not be too far off as an echo from the Marth/Ike "sameyness" that got him cut from Sm4sh. That or any character that could be echo level accurately will be in Ultimate as they prioritise that development for completely unique fighters.
It's not like Isabelle couldn't have been built more off Villager, though. What happened is she was probably in the first batch of newcomers chosen, with clones usually added later. So they put more effort into her since she was intended to be included from the get-go.

That said, as I mentioned, Isabelle is the exception these days, so I still think Dixie would be along the lines of Ken or Chrom, were she to be a derivative character. But either way, I don't think Dixie is fated for inclusion this time.

Something Fatmanonice theorised is DLC 6 and 7 being characters like Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy were for Sm4sh; easier characters to make from existing components to start off unplanned DLC with before getting into the more intensive, all-new ones. So maybe a previously considered idea or character that'd have to be Isabelle-level clone could be on the table as a buffer; perhaps the timeline of when post-pass third-party negotiations were held meant they'd have to come later, and they would put in a first party or two to bridge the gap to make the release schedule continuous?
I imagine the post-pass characters have been known internally for a while at this point, were they comfortable filming the announcement this summer. They don't have to be characters that largely re-use assets to be revealed with or shortly after FP5. If we assume that at least three characters are worked on simultaneously, work on the first post-pass character could've began as early as August, when Banjo was probably finished.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Out of curiousity, has Blazblue had any influence on gaming on it's own? Cause I just see it as another example of Guilty Gear's influence
I couldn't personally say. At most I could say it popularized the modern day "aesthetic" of anime fighters of using 2D sprites on fully rendered 3D backgrounds and using a ton of VFX. Blazblue is just one of those games where I feel is just popular enough and representative of the genre that when people think "anime fighter," they think of that series first.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Eh, I think the 'anime fighter' designation is a bit too loose to really matter.

Anime aesthetic is fine, fighting-characters are fine, but when you combine the two to create a bucket, it really becomes "What qualifies"?
Only newer games with more fluid artwork, or older games as well? "Asuka! Burning"?

When I've seen the term applied to Smash, it seems to just mean "An Arc System Works character", so eh... Asking for that specifically seems to make more sense...

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I don't know. I believe that a Tales rep isn't happening for Fighter 5, that's for sure.
Yeah, I already cracked their pass code. I’m not a leaker but I’m a very analytical person. The pass characters are ones from series that have never dipped their toe into smash ultimate, which is assured by former Nintendo President, Reggie. This easily gets rid of Tekken and Tales of reps. My prediction is that the Rex costume is a hint towards Kosmos, as she cameos in his game and is easily appealing to those who purchase the pass for the Rex costume. Nintendo is trying to make their dlc appealing for their buyers and they’ll go for those kinds of surprises.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, I already cracked their pass code. I’m not a leaker but I’m a very analytical person. The pass characters are ones from series that have never dipped their toe into smash ultimate. This easily gets rid of Tekken and Tales of reps. My prediction is that the Rex costume is a hint towards Kosmos, as she cameos in his game and is easily appealing to those who purchase the pass for the Rex costume. Nintendo is trying to make their dlc appealing for their buyers and they’ll go for those kinds of surprises.
I think that Heihachi is more likely than KOS-MOS.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
That doesn't mean that they can't upgrade him to playable, and there's also other Namco Bandai characters too.
Just ask the fighters in the smash pass. None of them are from series with any references in Smash until the pass dlc.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Out of curiousity, has Blazblue had any influence on gaming on it's own? Cause I just see it as another example of Guilty Gear's influence
Its heavy emphasis on storytelling and multimedia branching narrative is unlike anything I've ever seen in a fighting game.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Its heavy emphasis on storytelling and multimedia branching narrative is unlike anything I've ever seen in a fighting game.
The only thing I even know about Blazblue lore is this video:
and its two sequel videos.

The plot sounds whack, but most fighting games do so hey, have fun with it.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
We're seriously considering Gordan Ramse-Oh you mean Freeman.

You know, before I knew what Half Life was I thought Gordan Freeman was a real person.
That’s because Gordon Freeman looks so ridiculously real.

You're just sticking to stupid patterns that they can easily break.
That would be a great argument until fighter four was announced... Denying the pattern is denial at this point. Reggie sneakily leaked us critical information and the information was true. He was involved with the business decisions in the pass.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I just think that Namco Bandai would prioritize a bunch of other characters over KOS-MOS. To me, she's the fifth likeliest Namco Bandai character, behing Heihachi, Lloyd, Velvet, and Agumon, exactly in that order from first to fourth.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"Well these past twenty-six patterns ended up being false, but this one is real!"

The best pattern is the one of fan rules collapsing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

...So one of the Fighter's Pass 2 characters?
I'd say echos are specifically circa-Sm4sh/Ultimate clones that build off their base character in the limited way that Isabelle couldn't with Villager.
IDK if maybe they'd make Dixie an Isabelle thing as DLC only because the only other DLC clones we've ever had were semiclone made and pseudoclone level veterans in Sm4sh. We have no idea how similar she could have been to Diddy in the scrapped tag team concept of Brawl, considering Chrom may not be too far off as an echo from the Marth/Ike "sameyness" that got him cut from Sm4sh. That or any character that could be echo level accurately will be in Ultimate as they prioritise that development for completely unique fighters.

Something Fatmanonice theorised is DLC 6 and 7 being characters like Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy were for Sm4sh; easier characters to make from existing components to start off unplanned DLC with before getting into the more intensive, all-new ones. So maybe a previously considered idea or character that'd have to be Isabelle-level clone could be on the table as a buffer; perhaps the timeline of when post-pass third-party negotiations were held meant they'd have to come later, and they would put in a first party or two to bridge the gap to make the release schedule continuous?
Maybe I worded that wrong lol. I meant a character like Piranha; not technically part of the next pass, but just a bonus for buying said pass.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It would be cool for an ark system character if the whole gimmick with them (because all DLC have a gimmick nowadays) was trying to create the illusion of a 2D sprite while clearly being a 3D model, like Ark's current games.

D

Deleted member

The only thing I even know about Blazblue lore is this video:
and its two sequel videos.

The plot sounds whack, but most fighting games do so hey, have fun with it.
So... all I literally understood from that was that there was a library.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We're seriously considering Gordan Ramse-Oh you mean Freeman.

You know, before I knew what Half Life was I thought Gordan Freeman was a real person.
Same here actually. for some reason I thought the name Gordon Freeman was some real life actor or something, it sounds like one at least...
I didn't realize it was an actual game character until recently...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It would be cool for an ark system character if the whole gimmick with them (because all DLC have a gimmick nowadays) was trying to create the illusion of a 2D sprite while clearly being a 3D model, like Ark's current games.
Isn't Terry's jacket completely animated by hand instead of leaving it to the physics engine and doesn't Terry himself not have a T pose as a default but rather an A pose? If we got that level of detail to reference how godlike SNK's sprites are then an Arcsys character would absolutely be animated like an actual anime character with smears and ****

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Same here actually. for some reason I thought the name Gordan Freeman was some real life actor or something, it sounds like one at least...
I didn't realize it was an actual game character until recently...
Because his name is like a few letters off from being Morgan freeman. The actor.

Isn't Terry's jacket completely animated by hand instead of leaving it to the physics engine and doesn't Terry himself not have a T pose as a default but rather an A pose? If we got that level of detail to reference how godlike SNK's sprites are then an Arcsys character would absolutely be animated like an actual anime character with smears and ****
Does he? I didn't know that.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
"Well these past twenty-six patterns ended up being false, but this one is real!"

The best pattern is the one of fan rules collapsing.
It’s not really my rule. It’s literally established by Nintendo themselves. It was communicated very sneakily.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Interesting. Though it could also be like the DMCV leaks, where the guy had legit info on that game, but then also made up an entire reveal trailer for Dante in Smash to add to the rumors.
Yeah that was a grade A **** move, LMAO.

Dude had legit info, everything he said came true, and then for no reason, said Dante would be in Smash.
stabbed dante.png

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It’s not really my rule. It’s literally established by Nintendo themselves. It was communicated very sneakily.
No. Reggie's comment was just poorly worded and subject to multiple interpretations. I went over this months ago.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
No. Reggie's comment was just poorly worded and subject to multiple interpretations. I went over this months ago.
Because it was on purpose. By looking at the actual fighter.’a pass, we what it actually means.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
All you need to know about Blazblue:

- It's a time loop
- Noel is actually Ragna's sister and there's over 6 of her because of Murakumo bull****
- The Murakumos are a product of Relius and Terumi
- Hakumen is Jin, Ragna's brother, from an alternate timeline using the suit of Terumi's true form
- Naoto and Es come from a different universe
- Es stands for Embryo Storage
- Naoto is actually Alt Universe Ragna
- Nine ****ed a Cat who has an entire species cloned from him and is Ragna's mentor
- Ragna's adoptive mother is Nine's sister

And then there's this
bb lore.png

BB lore is ****ing dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom