• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Then again, a lack of a mii costume neither confirms nor denies anything. While it’s possible his mii costume is returning with a different Namco rep, it’s also possible that it was cut because he will be made playable.
I don't think they will follow up Terry with Heihachi regardless. So far characters from fighting games all have come with specific command inputs, and I assume Heihachi would be the same. It's not something all players can be bothered with and especially the more casual ones, and this is the larger chunk of the player base. Which is why I don't think they will want to release 2 fighters like that in a row, whereas with 2 RPG characters in a row you wouldn't have this issue.

If Fighter #5 is not a Bandai Namco character however, I do think his odds of being DLC go up significantly.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
This honestly hurts speculation a lot though, since this limits the oppurtunities for other characters to be discussed.
Not necessarily, it's fun to figure out how characters relate to the "missing colors" and how out there they can get. Or if they'll be orange and they'll like it even if it clashes.

D

Deleted member

The thing about colour theory is even if it's true, it won't be proven until it's too late to determine anything, and it never helped narrow things down in the first place.

So what's really the point?
It all boils down to personal opinion if anything.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So from what we're feeling and if we take words at face value, it's not Ryu, Crash, Geno or Doomguy for sure, it's most likely not Scorpion and the general feel is it'll be a Namco or Capom character.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Call me crazy, but i believe the 5th Character is Reiji Arisu from Namco X Capcom/Project X Zone.
Not my general preference, but esoteric enough to be interesting (and it could help lead to PXZ3), so I'd be down with it.

Other crossover 'Arisu' actually popped into my head first, but I guess that wouldn't work for good boys and girls of varying ages...

More crazy suggestions:
1) Neptune. So I can see people argue about why it should be Blanc instead.
2) Beyond the Grave. Because I just remembered that Gungrave is actually going to be a thing again...

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Not saying I don't want a character from one of these companies but I kind of hope that a Namco or Capcom rep gets deconfirmed so that it gets to the point that no one can have a safe prediction.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Honestly not to insult anyone, but color theory along with any pattern theory are silly. The pattern was already out of order with Hero and there's nothing to say the next background will be orange and even if it were that doesn't narrow anything down at all. They're basically just picking colors already found on the character themselves and using them as a background to keep the color in the back from clashing with the colors on the character...that doesn't narrow down the list to only include characters who are orange or whatever color however as really all they need is to have the color be present ANYWHERE on their body even in the most minuscule amount...and this is all assuming the pattern will even hold true and that they don't just arbitrarily decide to use a random complmentary color.

Likewise that's looking at it from the finish to the back. To imply the characters were chosen or set to release at a certain time to coincide with a completely unimportant pattern of colors is well nonsensical.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
The thing about colour theory is even if it's true, it won't be proven until it's too late to determine anything, and it never helped narrow things down in the first place.

So what's really the point?
I agree with this completely, so far we’ve been able to retrofit literally every speculated character into it to the point where there’s no reason to even bring it up.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I don't think they will follow up Terry with Heihachi regardless. So far characters from fighting games all have come with specific command inputs, and I assume Heihachi would be the same. It's not something all players can be bothered with and especially the more casual ones, and this is the larger chunk of the player base. Which is why I don't think they will want to release 2 fighters like that in a row, whereas with 2 RPG characters in a row you wouldn't have this issue.

If Fighter #5 is not a Bandai Namco character however, I do think his odds of being DLC go up significantly.
Not likely. Tekken isn't based on stick inputs. It's based on button sequences.
If you'd like, I could link a video showcasing an ideal Heihachi Smash moveset, but I've posted it 1,000 times.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

If you'd like, I could link a video showcasing an ideal Heihachi Smash moveset, but I've posted it 1,000 times.
At most, other than the same auto-facing mechanic the other fighters have, Heihachi would have "diagonal tilts" (extra normal attacks he can do when tilting the control stick up-right or down-right) and the ability to chain his jab, tilts, and possibly his specials together to "juggle" the opponent like in a Tekken game. He wouldn't have more complicated input commands like Ryu, Ken, and Terry, because he doesn't come from a fighting game that makes heavy use of those kinds of attacks.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
The funny thing is that Sakurai didn't even say that whole line about "Good boys and girls." He was explaining how CERO wouldn't allow him to add Mai in a family friendly game.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
No panties, no problem, bruh. Don't be that person. :glare:
I am a terrible person. :laugh:
My original interpretation of this was, "let's take the panties off," rather than, "let's cover up the panties."

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I don't believe in the color theory.
The DLC characters use colors that not only have different hues, but also different brightness and saturation values; they don't seem to make an harmony if put together (basically, they are random colors).
Also, not only the DLC characters, but all the characters have a different background color (you can see it in the upper banner), and if you want to find the unused colors, you should extract all the colors of all the fighters in the roster and map them in a color wheel, and find the place of the wheel with the biggest "hole". Still very inaccurate and not much useful in finding the next characters.

So far, sticking with DLC colors only, my guess is that the next character is either lime or high saturated purple, but remember that we are going to get other characters after this pass, so there will be more colors, and different shades of already used colors are guaranteed.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I hope the next fighter has a rainbow background just to **** all over "Color Theory".

I personally never played Half-Life but I think Morgan Freeman would be a cool character!
His voice game is too strong so he might require a few nerfs right out of the gate.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I am a terrible person. :laugh:
My original interpretation of this was, "let's take the panties off," rather than, "let's cover up the panties."
Uh oh, you're not a good boy of a varying age. :surprised:

She's wearing shorts so there's nothing they have to cover up; they would have to slightly lengthen them at most.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'd kill for an update that gives us Morgan Freeman narration over our Smash matches, ngl.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Ever noticed that only male characters are allowed to be naked?
Sonic is naked. Amy is covered.
Crash is topless. Coco is fully covered.
Untrue. That black leathery material isn't Bayonetta's clothing. It's hair. All of it.

Last edited:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Umm, if someone is interested in what Reiji Arisu could bring i made a "Challenger Pack" of him:
Fighter: Reiji Arisu from Namco X Capcom/Project X Zone Series, and Xiaomu appears with him as pairs (Like the Ice Climbers).
View attachment 247441
Wait, what is a Project X Zone? Who are them?
Project X Zone, initially known as Namco X Capcom is a crossover tactical role-playing game between Bandai Namco, Capcom, Sega and even Nintendo at some point. Reiji and Xiaomu are operatives for paranormal investigative group Shinra, which face distortions that brings characters from other realities into their own, and they're the protagonists of the series. The 1st game was on the PS2, but it never came outside of Japan, but the Project X Zone 1 and 2 games were released on the 3DS, this time in Occident.
Very Impresive, right?
Stage: Shibuya
View attachment 247440
The place where the distortions are all around there... No one knows what will happen...
Music:
- Brave New World (Namco X Capcom)
- Arisu in Fluxtown (Namco X Capcom)(Project X Zone 2 ver.)
- The Trail to Victory (Namco X Capcom)(Project X Zone 2 ver.)
- Fierce-Battle-Before-Night (Namco X Capcom)
- Everything is in the Fight/Everything is Within Battle (Namco X Capcom)(Project X Zone 2 ver.)
- Ouma Profusion/Evil Profusion (Namco X Capcom)
- Someday, Under the Moon (Namco X Capcom)(Project X Zone 2 ver.)
- Wing Wanderer (Project X Zone)
- Mysterious Project (ver. SP) (Project X Zone)
- Rising Stage (Project X Zone)(Project X Zone 2 ver.)
- Wanderer's Road (ver. SP) (Project X Zone)
- Brave Parade (Project X Zone)
- Hard Time (Project X Zone)
- All the World's Stage (Project X Zone 2)
- New World Project (Project X Zone 2)
- Pulsing Earth (Project X Zone 2)
- Moonlight Curtain Call (Project X Zone 2)
*Also, since the Original Namco X Capcom was a celebration for Namco's 50th anniversary they can also put Songs and/or Spirits from other Bamco games too*
- Yo****sune (The Genji and the Heike Clans)(Namco X Capcom ver.)
- Bravoman (Bravoman)(Namco X Capcom ver.)
- After Transformation BGM (Wonder Momo)(Namco X Capcom ver.)
- DIG DUG II (Dig Dug II)(Namco X Capcom ver.)
- Bay Yard (Burning Force)(Namco X Capcom ver.)
- Stepping Wind (Klonoa 2)(Namco X Capcom ver.)
- Main Theme (Return of Ishtar)(Namco X Capcom ver.)
- Brave Sword, Braver Soul (Soul Calibur)(Namco X Capcom ver.)
- Main Theme (The Legend of Valkyrie)(Namco X Capcom ver.)
- Battle (Xenosaga Episode I)(Namco X Capcom ver.)
- Opening (Tekken 3)(Namco X Capcom ver.)
- Opening (Tekken Tag Tournament)(Namco X Capcom ver.)
- Stairs of Time (.hack//)(Project X Zone 2 ver.)
- Ring a Bell (Tales of Vesperia)(Project X Zone 2 ver.)
- F.A.T.E. (God Eater)(Project X Zone 2 ver.)

Spirits:
- Reiji Arisu and Xiaomu (Player)
- Saya (Advanced)
View attachment 247582
- Dokugozu and Dokumezu (Ace)
View attachment 247583
- Nine Nine (Legend)
View attachment 247584
- Kogoro Tensai (Ace)
View attachment 247585
- Mii Koriuji (Ace)
View attachment 247586
- Chizuru Urashima (Novice)
View attachment 247587
- Valkyrie (Ace)
View attachment 247589
- Taizo Hori (Dig Dug)(Ace)
View attachment 247590
- Taira no Kagekiyo (Ace)
View attachment 247591
- KOS-MOS (Advanced)
View attachment 247592
- Klonoa (Ace)
View attachment 247593
- Jin Kazama (Ace)
View attachment 247594
- Bravo-Man (Ace)
View attachment 247597
- Wonder Momo (Ace)
View attachment 247598

Mii Costumes:
- Wonder Momo Suit and Helmet (Mii Brawler)
- Gilgamesh Armor (Returning)(Mii Swordfighter)
View attachment 247600
- Heihaichi Mishima (Returning)(Mii Brawler)
View attachment 247601
- Lloyd Irving (Returning)(Mii Swordfighter)
View attachment 247602
- KOS-MOS Suit (Mii Gunner)
- Taizo Hori Suit and Helmet (Mii Gunner)

And that's all!!!

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Ever noticed that only male characters are allowed to be naked?
Sonic is naked. Amy is covered.
Crash is topless. Coco is fully covered.
"Allowed" is a pretty loaded word, but regardless...

Diddy and Dixie have the exact amount of clothing (top and cap). My boi wears only shoes and Birdo only wears a bow :yoshi:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Untrue. That black stuff isn't Bayonetta's clothing. It's hair.
Yea. But that's an M rated game.
I mean "kid friendly" characters.
Hell, look at Shiela from the Reignited Trilogy. In the PS1 Spyro 3, she was a regular naked kangaroo. In the remake, she was covered up.
Cause God forbid a female cartoon animal have a bare chest.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Exceptions exist.

Speaking of which, how is that game? I wonder if there's a support thread for it. It seems like one of the less ****tier smash clones but I never played it.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Color Theory is bogus because the next color isn't green for Gooigi.
Clearly this means Cotton Candy-Flavored Gooigi is making its debut as the final Fighter’s Pass character. Move over Pink Gold Peach, there’s a NEW bottom of the barrel variant in town!

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Is this how our speculation has turned out? A new game announced and now it somehow leads to that character entering Smash? A VR Half-Life hardly feels indicative of Smash potential. Barking at shadows. Chasing tails. Quite tiresome.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
At most, other than the same auto-facing mechanic the other fighters have, Heihachi would have "diagonal tilts" (extra normal attacks he can do when tilting the control stick up-right or down-right) and the ability to chain his jab, tilts, and possibly his specials together to "juggle" the opponent like in a Tekken game. He wouldn't have more complicated input commands like Ryu, Ken, and Terry, because he doesn't come from a fighting game that makes heavy use of those kinds of attacks.
I stand corrected then, in that case Heihachi's chances are better than I thought at least. And a different approach like that to a fighting game rep in Smash might be interesting to see as well.

D

Deleted member

Is this how our speculation has turned out? A new game announced and now it somehow leads to that character entering Smash? A VR Half-Life hardly feels indicative of Smash potential. Barking at shadows. Chasing tails. Quite tiresome.
Whelp, that's Smash speculation mentality for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom