• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia #2: CAN THE NEWBIES STEP UP AND PLAY A SUCCESSFULE GAME?

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
Ok, mentos, mundane question time:

Who do you think is playing most scummily (is that even a word?) at this stage? To be honest, the reason I can't mount any strong cases against anyone is because there are no strong cases out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated (taking into account, of course, the #1 Unwritten rule of Mafia, see above). But I am working on it.

Speaking of which...

TUSM, if Teran was on your scumdar for so long, why did you post that you think he's town? (Can't quite remember the post number off the top of my head, I'll post it in my next post)

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
TUSM, if Teran was on your scumdar for so long, why did you post that you think he's town? (Can't quite remember the post number off the top of my head, I'll post it in my next post)
You just don't give up, do you? Just because I'm "Keeping watch" for someone doesn't mean they're automatically placed on the "scummy" list. It just means I paying closer attention to them. I'm keeping an eye on Kevin as well. At first, I thought his playstyle seemed a little iffy, but as of now, he seems to have the town's best interest at hand.

Who do you think is playing most scummily (is that even a word?) at this stage? To be honest, the reason I can't mount any strong cases against anyone is because there are no strong cases out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated (taking into account, of course, the #1 Unwritten rule of Mafia, see above). But I am working on it.
I wanna know who YOU think is scum. Don't rely on other people's opinion. I want to hear YOUR thoughts, not someone else's.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Ok lets start playing the game seriously.

Lets push a lynch on Kirb and figure out where to go from there.

This game is won by lynching the scummy players and so far we have a highly suspicious player being replaced in by a guy who hasn't said anything besides "look at X other player" and then asking general questions about who other people think is scum probably so he can attempt a weak push on them.

Unvote
Vote:KirbYoshi

Again.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Skyler: Why did you hammer Florida after he said that his bogus vote on Riddle was only fishing for reactions? Seems scummy.
Covered that.

I mean, did anyone else notice that when Florida was 'questioning' Riddle that he revealed his plan immediately after being called out? He said he was doing it for reactions but from who? The only person who posted during that back-and-forth was Dekuu and he never asked any questions.
TUSM, you are acting suspicious towards Teran. He's definitely not helping the town (I can vouch that he is sarcastic and abrasive, but he knows better than this, and should know that it just harms the town), so I'm not going to do him any favors, but first you vote him, then you post that he looks town, and now...

You just don't give up, do you? Just because I'm "Keeping watch" for someone doesn't mean they're automatically placed on the "scummy" list. It just means I paying closer attention to them. I'm keeping an eye on Kevin as well. At first, I thought his playstyle seemed a little iffy, but as of now, he seems to have the town's best interest at hand.
Now you're saying that you are watching him, but he isn't on the scum list?

Why would you watch anybody who isn't playing scummy? That would be like me watching to see if my dog will meow. I know he won't, because he's a dog.

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
If "Teran looks town for the most part," why would you "keep watch for him"?

Unvote KevinM, Vote: TUSM for weak and wishy-washy defenses because obviously it's such a scumtell. (That was only half sarcastic, I'm still learning this game!)

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
No, after I voted for him, there was not a single point where I said "Oh, maybe he's not so bad."You're wisting around your facts. As of now, I still don't feel as though he's helping town, but I think Kirbyoshi isn't doing any good at all, the way he's redirecting attention instead of directly defending himself.

And why wouldn't you watch anyone who isn't playing scummy? There's four threats here, and we have yet to single out a single one of them. Apparently, someone's doing something right, and it ain't us.

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
Should I have said I retracted that statement after I said I voted for him? As I said numerous times, that was before I voted for him. BEFORE I VOTED FOR HIM. His post(s) that he made after I made that statement changed my mind.

And, how's this for an OMGUS:

Vote: Kirbyoshi

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer

Unvote KevinM, Vote: TUSM for weak and wishy-washy defenses because obviously it's such a scumtell. (That was only half sarcastic, I'm still learning this game!)
*Facepalm.* So many things wrong with this post.

1.) Why would you NOT keep watch? I, also, believe Teran is town as I explained earlier but that doesn't clear him from all suspicions. His behavior is not normal and an eye should be kept on him just like any one else.

2.) For the 2nd time, you lift a vote without any explanation except to vote another person which makes this the 3rd time. None of your actions have had any real direction to them nor have they had substance behind it.

3.) "I'm still learning this game!" Although this may be true I don't think this helps your case at all, dude. It's Newbie freaking Mafia; most of us are learning the game. Claiming this just seems like you're trying to cover up for your silliness so far by grabbing the "Noob" role.

Kevin: What are you thoughts on Teran?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Mid Page Vote Count:

[3]KirbYoshi: Tusm , KevinM, Omni
[1]Mentosman: Marshy
[1]Tusm: KirbYoshi

[5] not voting: Mentosman, MenoUnderWater, Teran, Skyler, Riddle

It takes 6 votes out of 10 to lynch.
The deadline has been set for the very last second of August 19th... EST

Sorry, for the late votecount.
Please correct me if I made any mistakes

Omni

BRoomer
Unvote Vote: Kirbyoshi

Just in case I forgot to Unvote Air/Meno to push him out of inactivity. Speaking of inactive, I don't like how one of our newest replacements for an inactive member is still unable to participate after nearly 4 days.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
You'd think a defence would be more focused wouldn't you? I find it odd how he's trying to shift suspicion towards more than just one player. Usually if you're trying to deflect suspicion, you'd do it by providing a strong and coherent argument as to why suspicion should lie with someone else.
you think it's suspicious aye? worthy of a vote? i'm wary of players who don't put their vote where their mouth is

And, Marshy, to your comment about me not using my vote, quite simply it's the game that makes me more reluctant than usual to make a vote... I saw the quick lynch in D1 of Newbie, and how close it was to another quick-lynch near endgame. I'm mostly keeping my vote off more often than usual to help avoid that, as compared with the regular d-gamers, it's more likely for a mistake to be made by newer players, and I hope to avoid that kind of situation.
not sure i buy it. i think it's clear that the players here are much more cautious of voting. too cautious actually. i mean, when one of the new players voted so we'd actually get information off a lynch a number of the others jumped on him. totally backwards

i'm happy where my vote is

oh and EVERYONE SHOULD VOTE. deadline is in 3 days and i think most people could end up underestimating how soon that is. we need a majority to lynch not a plurality. mentos has been casting suspicion towards a few different players and i'd like to see him follow up on it. same goes for teran and skyler. riddle where've you gone? i'd like to know what you think of what's transpired recently

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Kirbyoshi has done little so far apart from jump in and try to shift suspicions onto people using rather weak cases. The ease at which he just shifted between his suspicions and voted Kevin purely out of reaction.

Now that there seems to votes piling up on him, he again starts pushing the suspicion back on me. He seems like cornered scum, and scum that can't seem to make up his mind very well. Not to mention what Kevin said, which was that he replaced a relatively suspicious player to begin with.

Yeah, it takes a fair amount of suspicion for me to do this, but I'm down.

Vote: Kirbyoshi

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Just answered your question Marshy.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Wow, really sorry I haven't been posting lately, I have had a busy life recently but thats no excuse and I will make sure to post more.

Deadline is approaching and we need a lynch, so I'm going to vote KirbYoshi. He has been defending himself by putting blame on others and asking very general questions that don't get us anywhere. Then, when accused of this he doesn't defend himself and continues to ask useless questions and not defend himnself.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Riddle, your vote wasn't bolded. Anyway, I'm slightly more comfortable with Teran now that he has started contributing somewhat useful stuff. This leads me to the question of who else I find suspicious. Right now, I am with a lot of the town on Kirb, he has been extremely general throughout his posts. Once again as I mentioned earlier, it is hard for me distinguishing what are newbie mistakes and what are legitimate scumtells. However, this does not mean that his reluctance to hold focus and press any one player is not something to lynch based off of.

Now, with that said, Kirb is 2 votes shy of lynch(since Riddle's wasn't bolded and therefore not counted), and so, I will place my vote as soon as he has had time to make a final defense and claim his role.

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
I claim vanilla, still not sure what Kevin found wrong with my post, but oh well if he won't tell me. Generalizations are NOT enough to garner a vote, that's why I voted for him. Teran's defense seemed good enough, so I decided I needed to unvote him, but TUSM's quick turn of opinion of Teran bothers me really bad. No one else finds that suspicious at all?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I claim vanilla, 1. still not sure what Kevin found wrong with my post, but oh well if he won't tell me. 2. Generalizations are NOT enough to garner a vote, that's why I voted for him. 3. Teran's defense seemed good enough, so I decided I needed to unvote him, 4. but TUSM's quick turn of opinion of Teran bothers me really bad. No one else finds that suspicious at all?
1. I think I've told you on numerous occasions why I think you're scummy.

2. Yet again, yes it is enough to garner a vote when you give a wishy washy defense and then try and turn the vote off you faster then anyone can blink by trying desperately to grasp straws on other players.

3. What about Teran's defense actually stood out to you?

4. I unvote and vote people all the time, the vote is a powerful tool, it may be slightly suspicious or it could be a reformed opinion.

@Marshy: Are you satisfied with your vote merely because Mentos has not voted, or have you picked up on some type of scum tell you'd like enlightening us with. Otherwise it's rather pointless to just place a vote on there with no hope of it growing.

@Mentos: Top three suspicions right now plus a vote on the number one unless it puts Kirb at -1 then FOS him, I'd like a little background on whyu as well.

@Sky: Speak up, what do you think of all this.

@Riddle: Is there anyone else you'd particularly like to look into.

@Menos: As the serial killer who are you going to kill next? If you're not the serial killer, why haven't you started posting yet?

NO ONE HAMMER YET. 3 days is a long time.

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
KevinM said:
@Menos: As the serial killer who are you going to kill next? If you're not the serial killer, why haven't you started posting yet?
I don't think Meno is sk, I think you are. Why are you asking questions of mafia PRs anyway? SK is mafia-aligned, remember. My vote stays where it is for now, but I'm coming after you toMorrow (provided I make it through the Night *eye roll*).

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Actually, SK is a lone wolf, and only has their own interest at heart.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Well, I'm here and ready for action. I apologize for the inactivity up until now, but I'll be leaving to college incredibly soon so I've been trying to cram in my last all-night smashfests, parties, johns, john john john...

Regardless, I'm here! And wow, you people have a total mess here.

"Kirbyoshi", let's take the likely route that he's jumpy and cornered scum - his posts have all been filled with reaction and accusations. What interests me most is the general reaction from everyone else. Let's say he's scum. What is the rest of the gang's course of action?

Scum would obviously not ultimately vote for their own. Marshy is voting Mentosman. Mentosman is contemplating a vote himself. Skyler is nowhere to be seen. Omni retracted his vote. Just observations, they can either be cautious town or mafia trying to distance themselves/skirt attention.

Or there's always the possibility Kirbyoshi isn't mafia. What would scum do then?

They'd see a catch - a simple lynch easily justifiable by Kirbyyoshi's behavior. KevinM, Teran, TUSM, or Riddle could be mafia enjoying a self-lynchin townie or just aggressive town.

WIFOM is a *****.

As for my opinion, if it's not readable already, Kirbyoshi's behavior is heavily comparable to cornered town (not that I'd know, this is only my second game of course). I'd like to remind Kirbyoshi that part of being a good pro-town is being believable. In a game where anyone can simply run around shouting "OH WAIT I'M TOWN" (as you have already - possibly taking the idea from Florida earlier), you need to have town on your side to help town succeed. If you're attracting negative attention you're negatively affecting town.

I'd like to stretch that reminder to Teran as well.

We have about two days left. Let's make the most out of the time we have.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Oh, I had one question though. The Serial Killer and Vigilante (the chance that he's stupid should still be kept in mind) are new roles to me. How would they react to an "easy kill" such as Kirbyoshi?

Would they bandwagon along with the lynch - and kill later in the night?

Riddle

Smash Lord
Sorry my vote wasn't bolded

Vote: KirbYoshi

As for other people I find suspicious here is a quick run-down.

MenoUnderwater - Replaces a lurker (Airgemini) and then continues the lurking habits; hasn't really contributed anything yet (Read : Indie/NewbScum)

Teran - was quite unhelpful, but is picking it up (Read: Town)

TUSM - KirbYoshi's point was somewhat valid (Tusm's conflicting views on Teran) (Read: 90% sure he is town)

Omni - Made generalizations much the same way that KirbYoshi did, but defended himself and got better (Read: Indie/Town(leaning towards Indie))

Riddle

Smash Lord
Oh, I had one question though. The Serial Killer and Vigilante (the chance that he's stupid should still be kept in mind) are new roles to me. How would they react to an "easy kill" such as Kirbyoshi?

Would they bandwagon along with the lynch - and kill later in the night?
Well Vig would (hopefully) do the thing they thought helped town the most, so they would join a bw if they thought the target was scum, and then kill other suspects at night. Sk would probably join a bw to get a lynch that was not on him, but he might not join to take suspicion on himself or he might do the opposite of that, to make others think that if he was SK he would not bw, etc. WIFOM is too good.

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
It seems to me everyone who has voted for me has piggybacked off of Kevin's reasoning. You all enumerated your suspicion of me, but it all seemed too convenient that Kevin had already said it. I don't like this "hey, let's lynch the new guy because he posted his suspicions, since he obviously doesn't find anything scummy about most of this game" mindset.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Scum would obviously not ultimately vote for their own.
careful when thinking like this. it's entirely possible that kirbyoshi is scum and his partner(s) have been bussing him

also an sk's/vig's reaction depends on the player

and kevin my vote is on who i think is scum. mentos has been calling people suspicious while neglecting his vote this entire time. may be nudging people in the wrong direction

kirbyoshi is now at -1

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
It seems to me everyone who has voted for me has piggybacked off of Kevin's reasoning. You all enumerated your suspicion of me, but it all seemed too convenient that Kevin had already said it. I don't like this "hey, let's lynch the new guy because he posted his suspicions, since he obviously doesn't find anything scummy about most of this game" mindset.
I voted for you because you never actually defended yourself. Instead, you looked for other people to try and divert attention from yourself, but it got you nowhere. After that failed, you still offered nothing in terms of why you're not scum.

And, partly because you voted for me. :p

Omni

BRoomer
I have a question:

If a Town Miller or a Mafia Godfather is killed, what will their alignment reveal upon death?

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
MenoUnderWater said:
(as you have already - possibly taking the idea from Florida earlier)
Didn't mean to copy Florida, but if it reminds you of him, remember that he flipped town - vanilla, in fact. Are you people willing to make the same mistake twice?

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
Actually, that turns me onto another possible suspicion: who were the ones who were so quick to jump on both Florida and me? Not the ones who voted for him in the end (since that would obviously include most of the players), but the ones who were very eager to get rid of Florida, and also jumped on me quickly. Those players, from what I can see, are KevinM, Riddle, and Omni. This is NOT deflection, this is me posting suspicions. Since Omni kind of hid behind Kevin's reasoning on me, and at the risk of seeming scummy, I will Unvote TUSM, Vote: Omni.

Sorry for the jumping around y'all, but when I got here there really wasn't much to go on, and even now I'm not 100% sure about Omni, but my vote is the only weapon I have, so I will wield it the best I can.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Actually, that turns me onto another possible suspicion: who were the ones who were so quick to jump on both Florida and me? Not the ones who voted for him in the end (since that would obviously include most of the players), but the ones who were very eager to get rid of Florida, and also jumped on me quickly. Those players, from what I can see, are KevinM, Riddle, and Omni. This is NOT deflection, this is me posting suspicions. Since Omni kind of hid behind Kevin's reasoning on me, and at the risk of seeming scummy, I will Unvote TUSM, Vote: Omni.

Sorry for the jumping around y'all, but when I got here there really wasn't much to go on, and even now I'm not 100% sure about Omni, but my vote is the only weapon I have, so I will wield it the best I can.
Right now the weapon you need is defending yourself. I don't think casting suspicion on a lot of different people while you are at lynch - 1. I want to see some good solid reasons for your suspicious behavior.

Kirbyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
acme2491
What's suspicious about posting who you think has been scummy and who you think has been town-ish? That's all I did before the BW started.

Top Bottom