• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newbie Mafia #2: CAN THE NEWBIES STEP UP AND PLAY A SUCCESSFULE GAME?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Newbie Game #2

SO WHATS GOOD. Newbie mafia #2 here. Tom wrote the rest of this post, so thats why its all nicely worded and ****. =D

NOTE: If you played Newbie #1, you ARE allowed to play Newbie #2!
NOTE: If you are a Decisive Gamer who wishes to play, read the rules about being a veteran player in Newbie Games and then CONTACT MACMAN. Do NOT post in this thread about wanting to dGame vet, that will not get you the slot. You may be refused for any reason he sees fit, do not take offense.

(This game is only for people who have limited to no experience playing Mafia before at Smash World Forums! If you have played or are currently playing a non-Newbie game, you are ineligible to play, with the exception of 3 slots open to those who are willing to play & teach – read on for more information!)

Welcome to your first (or second!) game of Mafia at Smash World Forums! Mafia is a fairly easy-to-learn game of strategy, debate, and deception that I’m sure you will all find fun and engaging. Mafia can get pretty complicated pretty quickly, but some of the most fun games use only the basics – lucky for you, as the most basic games are also the best way to learn and the easiest way to jump into a new hobby. If you end up liking the game, you will be completely prepared to join one of the other regularly hosted games in Decisive Games, as well as make connections and good friends with the slew of regular players we have. (which includes a large amount of debaters, writers, broomers, and moderators... as well as totally awesome dGamers!)

The premise is simple: there are 9-10 of you who are townspeople, aka townies, the good guys; there 3 of who you are the mafia, aka scum, the bad guys. The scum know who each other are and can communicate at all times over AIM or PMs, while a townie can only trust him- or herself.

The game is divided into Day phases and Night phases. Starting with Day 1, the whole group will play, talk, debate, argue, accuse, defend, and diplomatically vote who they think is mafia. When a majority vote has been reached, that player will be lynched (killed off, eliminated) and you will find out if they were town or if they were mafia. Then it becomes Night 1, and the townies to go “sleep” while the mafia get together and choose someone to kill! Day 2 begins, you discover whom the mafia has killed at night, you regroup, and you hunt for the scum again! The townies win when they have lynched all the mafia, and the mafia win when they equal or outnumber the town (at this point, it is mathematically impossible for them to lose).

There are also some power roles that are able to use certain powers during the night to aid in their victory, just as the mafia kills during the night. A cop is a townie who, during the night, can choose one player to investigate. If the cop lives through the night, he will be told if his target is town or mafia. A doctor is a townie who can choose one player to protect at night. If that player is targeted by a mafia nightkill, they will live through it! A vigilante is a townie who can choose to take life into his own hands and kill one player during the night! However, the town cannot trust just anyone who claims cop, doctor, or vigilante – they might be in the game, they might not, and they might just be mafia claiming to be cop, doctor, or vigilante to manipulate you!

However, the mafia may have roles to fight back against the town. The Mafia Roleblocker can target a player, and if that player was a doctor, they will not protect, and if that player was a cop, their investigation will fail (the roleblocker cannot stop bullets!). The mafia Godfather is a criminal mastermind who turns up innocent if investigated by the cop!

There are other roles that will be introduced this game as well: the miller, the serial killer, and the survivor.

The Miller thinks that he is a regular townsperson, but he will turn up guilty if investigated by the cop.

The serial killer is independently aligned and wins if he is the last man standing. He has the ability to kill someone each night, and he turns up innocent if investigated by the cop.

The survivor is independently aligned and wins if he is still alive when the game ends. He can vote however he wants, and in the end, might decide to claim and side with the town or the mafia!

This is a game for 13 players, 10 of which are playing for their first time. The other 3 are Decisive Gamers who have volunteered to strive to play in a manner that is conducive to teaching – they will guide you through regular mafia logic and strategies; they will answer any questions that you might have about the way the game runs, explain common strategies, jargon or acronyms; and most importantly they will be polite and friendly. That said; do not expect them to go easy on you! They will play to win, but in a friendly manner. If they are town, they will try to lynch whom they think are mafia; if they are mafia, they will try to get the town to lynch each other. But they are here to explain the game and any questions you might have.

Please read the rules, and if you need more help or are curious for more knowledge, click on the Optional Reading links. If have any questions, they are probably answered in the rules or the Optional Reading, but feel free to ask the game moderator (Macman) anything you do not understand.

Optional Reading:
Newbie Guide: Introduction for new players.
Basic Rules: Reading these rules, along with the game's specific rules, will help you understand the game.
Common Roles: Includes a description of the roles both commonly and uncommonly found in Mafia.
Smashboards Mafia Archives: This archive includes examples of past Mafia games in Decisive Games.

The Rules:
  1. This game is a commitment! If you sign up to play, please have fun but please play until you die or the game is over! If you absolutely need to be replaced due to emergency, please let me know. I do not want nor expect anyone to ask for replacement.
  2. Editing your posts is not allowed.
  3. Do not use the colors red, blue, purple, or lime. These colors are for everything the Game Moderator says, so you know when he added/edited/subtracted from a post!
  4. Unless you are mafia, you are not allowed to communicate to anyone about the game. This includes other players, dead players, and even people who are not playing. Keep everything a secret until the game is over. Talking with others about the game is considered cheating and you can be banned for it! (If you are mafia, of course, you are allowed to talk to your partner.) If you need to talk to someone, talk to the game moderator (Macman). He can listen to any problems you have.
  5. To vote for someone, simply type vote: name in bold. For example, if you wanted to vote for Evil Eye to be lynched, you would type vote: Evil Eye.
  6. To vote for someone else, please first unvote in bold, then vote your new target. For example, if you wanted to change your vote from Evil Eye to M3D, you would type unvote vote: M3D.
  7. When someone has been voted enough to be lynched (n/2 + 1 where n is the number of total players alive... a majority), I will post the lynch scene and the Day becomes Night. During Night, no one is allowed to post. If you are mafia, decide on the kill and send it to me via PM. If you are a cop or a doctor, send in your target via PM as well. When I have all the information, I will start the next Day.
  8. If you do not want to lynch anyone, you can vote for “No Lynch” as your target. If No Lynch gets a majority, the day will end without lynching anyone and will move into Night.
  9. Once you are dead, you are allowed to make only one more post, which should be simply you expressing your sadness that you are dead and cheering on your team. A classic example is “Bah go scum!” or “Bah go town!”
  10. Each Day will have a deadline of 2 real life weeks. Each Night will have a deadline of 2 real life days. When deadline hits during day, if someone does not have a majority, a No Lynch will occur. When deadline hits during night, if you have not sent in your night action, you will not make one. (big disadvantage!)
  11. Be polite. You are encouraged to be friendly, but sometimes you must go on the attack. You are allowed to express frustration, you are allowed to call someone’s logic “idiotic,” or call someone “stupid,” but do not get out of hand. This is a game, after all. Have fun.
  12. If you are one of the 3 Decisive Gamer veterans, I expect you to answer any game mechanic questions the new players ask. I also expect you to be polite and nice the entire game. You are also required to be active and are not allowed to lurk. Breaking this rule will result in your replacement without warning and Tom will have to have a talk with you on AIM. Though you are required to be thorough and help the new players learn the game, you are also getting to play another game outside of the queue! This will all be re-emphasized when the game begins in a PM I will send you.

This game follows a semi-closed format, meaning that you know all the roles that COULD be in this game. The setup is chosen at random, and all roles are assigned randomly.

The following variables may determine the game:

There can be 1 Godfather and 0 Miller, 0 Godfather and 1 Miller, Both, or Neither.
There can be 1 Vigilante, 1 Serial Killer, or 1 Survivor, but only 1 of these 3 can exist.

The following are the Role PMs that will be sent out to the players:

Sent to 1 or 2 players said:
You are a Mafia Goon, along with your partners _________ and _________. Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remain; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched (if that someone is not your partner or yourself, that will make things much easier). Each night, your group may send a player's name to me; that player will be killed during the night (decide together with your partners!). You may talk with your partners at any time on AIM or PM, but you must send me the transcripts.
Sent to 1 player said:
You are the Mafia Roleblocker, along with your partners _________ and _________. Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remains; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched (if that someone is not your partner or yourself, that will make things much easier). Each night, you may send a player's name to me; that player will be roleblocked, and will not make any special action (doc will fail to protect, cop will fail to investigate). You may talk with your partner at any time on AIM or PM, but you must send me the transcripts.
Sent to 0 or 1 player said:
You are a Mafia Godfather, along with your partners _________ and _________. Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remain; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched (if that someone is not your partner or yourself, that will make things much easier). If investigated by a cop, you will turn up innocent. Each night, your group may send a player's name to me; that player will be killed during the night (decide together with your partners!). You may talk with your partners at any time on AIM or PM, but you must send me the transcripts.
Sent to 1 player said:
You are the Doctor, and you can protect people from harm. Each Night, you may send me a choice via PM of who to protect; if they come under attack by the Mafia, they will live. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and try to lynch correctly during the Day.

Note: If you fail to protect your chosen target from death, you were roleblocked. You may not protect yourself.
Sent to 1 player said:
You are the Cop, and you can tell good from bad. Each Night, you may send a player's name to me; I will let you know if your investigation shows that they are Mafia or Town. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and lynch well during the Day.

Note: Incorrect Investigations: if you investigate a Survivor, Serial Killer, or Godfather, you will be told that they are town; if you investigate a Miller, you will be told that they are mafia. However, these cases are definitely the minority, and your investigations on any other townspeople or mafia are reliable. You may not investigate yourself.
You are the Vigilante, and though you are a good guy, you have a gun. Each Night, you may send a player's name to me; you will kill that player that night. You do not have to kill each night. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and lynch well during the Day.
You are the Serial Killer, an experienced and deadly killer who cannot be caught. Each Night, you may send a player's name to me; you will kill that player that night. You do not have to kill each night. If investigated by the cop, you will turn up innocent. You win if you are the last man standing, or one of two last players standing, so choose wisely at Night, and manipulate the lynch during the Day.
You are the Survivor, a man with no conscience who simply wants to survive. If investigated by the cop, you will turn up innocent. You win if you are alive when the game ends, and you lose if you die.
Sent to 7 players said:
You are a Townie, and you've got no special powers at Night. No investigations, no protection, no gun to shoot people. Your only powers are the ability to post, vote, and think. Help lynch Mafia during the Day, and you will win the game, along with the rest of the Town.
Alive:
1. TUSM
3. KBunny Failchion InfernoOmni
7. airgemini MenoUnderwater
12. (dGamer)Mentosman
13. (dGamer)Marshigo

Dead:
10. SlyFox Florida, Vanilla Townie, lynched Day 1

4. Dekuu, vanilla townie, killed night 1
5. Pierre, town-alligned doc, killed night 1

8. 0 Beat KirbYoshi Vanilla Townie, lynched Day 2

2. SkylerOcon, Mafia roleblocker, killed night 2
6. Ace Riddle, Vanilla Townie, killed night 2

11. (dGamer)KevinMafia, Vanilla Townie, lynched day 3

9. Teran, Vanilla townie, killed night 3

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Hey everybody, have a lot of fun playing newbie 2. I designed the setup for max funsies.

Please DO NOT talk to me about this game, however. Do not tell me your role, do not ask me for help, do not talk to me about it while you play it. That should go for everyone, but I especially want to watch this game play out with no insider knowledge.

Thank you very much for not talking to me. ;) <3

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Tom said he'd beat me when we get home if I don't join. ;-;

*Joins*

Chaco

Never Logs In
This looks more fun than our newbie mafia. WTF Tom?!

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Haha, I look forward to this... Just a note if roles are sent out prior to like 3 o'clock tomorrow I'm gonna be on the road home from Canada, so if that happens I'll post when I get home... Doesn't look likely, but just in case, everyone knows I'll be here:)

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
I tasted pain before, the real stuff, not the bootleg stuff you see everywhere. It was quite delish, and it kept me wanting more....

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Word. Signups complete. Will do flavor and send out roles later today. Egruntz, you can be a replacement

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I am SO tempted to vote Airgemini right now.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Game will start once everyone has confirmed in the thread, at that time I will post the beginning flavor.

Good Luck Fools~!

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
My internet has been comprimised, so I won't be on as much in the next few days, but I'll be here at least once a day, bare minimum.

Also, I got my role.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Role received. And just so everyone knows, my laptop is currently a brick, ill still be able to keep up on my phone, and hopefully ill have it fixed up within the next couple of hours

XACE-K

Smash Master
People with computer johns = mafia members
jk

And 5 more pople need to confirm they got their role.

Top Bottom