• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A New to Sheik? Look here to learn how to get started/Need help with Sheik? Ask your questions here.

Redbane

Smash Cadet
I'm Picking Sheik as a secondary and I'm having trouble with getting kills with him, besides using BH, U- Air and vanish.
P.S. I kinda find UP Smash Hard To Land.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
I'm Picking Sheik as a secondary and I'm having trouble with getting kills with him, besides using BH, U- Air and vanish.
P.S. I kinda find UP Smash Hard To Land.
Killing is probably Sheik's biggest weakness; she doesn't really have kill moves but rather kill setups. Your best bet is to work on your combo game to rack up damage and then finish off with something in the air. Bouncing Fish will be one of your most common finishers, and if you don't stall it, Uair off the top is very effective. Also, Sheik's gimping abilities are pretty awesome, so don't be afraid to go off a bit to chase your opponent.
Her smash attacks are pretty laggy compared to the others, so kills with them will be really situational, such as punishing a whiffed move or sweetspotting from under a platform. Overall, though, her lacking kill power is a big part of why using her is difficult. Just become comfortable with her options, and don't get predictable.

Also, Sheik is Zelda, so she's a "she". Just thought you should know.

Cold_Ninja_Emperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
clauderson
3DS FC
1134-8450-3228
Do someone have a video about rising needle full hop because I try to do the combo (Fair -> grab-> Fthrow ->FH needle->Nair). I just need this maybe I have difficulties to time the jump and the needle at the same time

Redbane

Smash Cadet
Killing is probably Sheik's biggest weakness; she doesn't really have kill moves but rather kill setups. Your best bet is to work on your combo game to rack up damage and then finish off with something in the air. Bouncing Fish will be one of your most common finishers, and if you don't stall it, Uair off the top is very effective. Also, Sheik's gimping abilities are pretty awesome, so don't be afraid to go off a bit to chase your opponent.
Her smash attacks are pretty laggy compared to the others, so kills with them will be really situational, such as punishing a whiffed move or sweetspotting from under a platform. Overall, though, her lacking kill power is a big part of why using her is difficult. Just become comfortable with her options, and don't get predictable.

Also, Sheik is Zelda, so she's a "she". Just thought you should know.
Lol, I know sheik a she but when I was younger I always thought she was a he until I actually played Ocarina of Time. So now I naturally call her a him, also thanks for the information.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
No problem, Redbane Redbane !
Do someone have a video about rising needle full hop because I try to do the combo (Fair -> grab-> Fthrow ->FH needle->Nair). I just need this maybe I have difficulties to time the jump and the needle at the same time
For full hop aerial needles, you have to release them he moment you leave the ground, or else you won't have time to act before landing. It's tough with the default controls, which is why a lot of Sheik mains have jump set to one of the triggers.

Cold_Ninja_Emperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
clauderson
3DS FC
1134-8450-3228
No problem, Redbane Redbane !

For full hop aerial needles, you have to release them he moment you leave the ground, or else you won't have time to act before landing. It's tough with the default controls, which is why a lot of Sheik mains have jump set to one of the triggers.
thanks it's should until what percent those type of combos

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
I hear talk about an Up Air spike with Sheik. Was this patched and do you have a video demonstrating it?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
why the **** does this game make me roll or spot dodge if i hold a direction after landing with auto cancel fair

it's ****ing annoying and idk how to not do it

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
why the **** does this game make me roll or spot dodge if i hold a direction after landing with auto cancel fair

it's ****ing annoying and idk how to not do it
Are you tapping/holding shield by accident?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Are you tapping/holding shield by accident?
Maybe, I'm not sure

What happens is I'll fair, and i'm holding a direction and I want to shield as soon as I land. But for some reason it buffers a spotdodge/roll depending on how I was holding the control stick. It's so different from Melee cus in Melee there's no buffer so that never happens but it always happens to me in this game and Idk how to not do it

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
Maybe, I'm not sure

What happens is I'll fair, and i'm holding a direction and I want to shield as soon as I land. But for some reason it buffers a spotdodge/roll depending on how I was holding the control stick. It's so different from Melee cus in Melee there's no buffer so that never happens but it always happens to me in this game and Idk how to not do it
Is your controller defective? I had a similar problem recently, turns out the controller was broken.
Besides that I don't know, I think the best thing to do is go into training mode and try to figure out exactly what inputs cause it

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Maybe, I'm not sure

To my knowledge, there's no such buffer. You may have a defective controller, or else your attempts to buffer is hurting you.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Is your controller defective? I had a similar problem recently, turns out the controller was broken.
Besides that I don't know, I think the best thing to do is go into training mode and try to figure out exactly what inputs cause it
To my knowledge, there's no such buffer. You may have a defective controller, or else your attempts to buffer is hurting you.
It's not a defective controller issue. My controller works perfectly fine with Melee and other games.

Redbane

Smash Cadet
What Grab should I start a match with, Forward Grab into Fairs or Forward Grab into BH(Bouncing Fish)

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
What Grab should I start a match with, Forward Grab into Fairs or Forward Grab into BH(Bouncing Fish)
It depends on what percent your opponent is. At the very beginning, you can generally get in a few Fairs before finishing with a BF, though as it gets higher, you'll have to choose between the two, and BF is generally the better option.

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
I'm attempting to learn the entire cast and Sheik is one of the last few characters I need (Not to an ultra-complex level, just enough so I understand how she works for the characters I actually play to know the MU a bit better), and I'm barely suceeding by just spacing opponents out with FAir, BAir, NAir, Needles, and occasionally Down Tilts. What can I probably do to get better outside of, of course, Forward Tilt and learning all of the combos she has? Like, any basic info that I should need?

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
I'm attempting to learn the entire cast and Sheik is one of the last few characters I need (Not to an ultra-complex level, just enough so I understand how she works for the characters I actually play to know the MU a bit better), and I'm barely suceeding by just spacing opponents out with FAir, BAir, NAir, Needles, and occasionally Down Tilts. What can I probably do to get better outside of, of course, Forward Tilt and learning all of the combos she has? Like, any basic info that I should need?
Mh, i guess Sheik should be known for her great grab game, so thats where you might wanna start. Fthrow into aerial,s uthrow into aerials an at higher % BF or Uair for kills. If you are not grabing alot (or landing missing your grabs) you should practice them. Also, sheik is a splendid edge guarder. Learn to get them off stage and don't let them come back. Maybe just kinda start to go offstage all the time to get a hang off it. Use needles in this situation as well. More Dtilts, use themmaybe after hitting shield or after jab 1 and 2. Also do not sleep on Utilt, and as you said, ftilt. Else, playing alot of footsies is just what sheik is, get your fair spacing coirrectly, retreating n stuff. Then ofc, her bread n butter combos are a must, but most are quite easy. I'd only invest time in Fthrow BF, Uthrow Uair, Uthrow Vanish, Fair BF on low %, waek Nair to BF on high % (land with nair on them) and of course fair planing (fair FF sh fair ff sh fair...). If you figure those out you might understand how to avoid them which should help alot later when playing against a sheik, since you can guess 90% of the time they will try those. Dont waste much time on needle tech, PP combos or stuff, its really specific and not very effectiv without a whole lot of practice. So yea, that should be the most important stuff, hope i didn't forget much.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I have heard on the grapevine that if you ledge snap from above with Vanish, you do not suffer the 2 frame vulnerability. Is this true and is there a video?

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
Mh, i guess Sheik should be known for her great grab game, so thats where you might wanna start. Fthrow into aerial,s uthrow into aerials an at higher % BF or Uair for kills. If you are not grabing alot (or landing missing your grabs) you should practice them. Also, sheik is a splendid edge guarder. Learn to get them off stage and don't let them come back. Maybe just kinda start to go offstage all the time to get a hang off it. Use needles in this situation as well. More Dtilts, use themmaybe after hitting shield or after jab 1 and 2. Also do not sleep on Utilt, and as you said, ftilt. Else, playing alot of footsies is just what sheik is, get your fair spacing coirrectly, retreating n stuff. Then ofc, her bread n butter combos are a must, but most are quite easy. I'd only invest time in Fthrow BF, Uthrow Uair, Uthrow Vanish, Fair BF on low %, waek Nair to BF on high % (land with nair on them) and of course fair planing (fair FF sh fair ff sh fair...). If you figure those out you might understand how to avoid them which should help alot later when playing against a sheik, since you can guess 90% of the time they will try those. Dont waste much time on needle tech, PP combos or stuff, its really specific and not very effectiv without a whole lot of practice. So yea, that should be the most important stuff, hope i didn't forget much.
This will probably help, and I'll be playing against a group of my friends today, so hopefully I get to practice some of these things.

Up Tilt and Forward Tilt I use occasionally, its just I use tons of characters with very good Down Tilts or ones that almost rely on it (Roy, Little Mac, Donkey Kong's causing trips, Kirby's for the same purpose) and I love the angle it sends at. Forward Tilt usually I just OOS or as a sort of threatening an opponent that 'I can get you up 25% if I want to, so don't come any closer.)

I know she is a good edgeguarder as a Mac main, and having fought the #1 Sheik in my state as a Mac (and nearly taking one game), I understand that. BF, NAir, BAir, and FAir are her main edgeguarding tools, right?

For grabs and basic grab combos, yeah I understand most of those. BF after Forward Throw and FAir after Forward Throw I already do after watching enough tournament players using Sheik, and the kill 50/50 of UThrow UAir or Vanish... Yeah, I use that, but mostly sparingly. Usually I get a roll read and Down Smash or Forward Smash for kills since that seems to work a ton of the time for me.

Thanks for the tips!

Redbane

Smash Cadet
It depends on what percent your opponent is. At the very beginning, you can generally get in a few Fairs before finishing with a BF, though as it gets higher, you'll have to choose between the two, and BF is generally the better option.
"BH" lol I need typing classes

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
To answer your question, WRECKITROLF WRECKITROLF , it'll probably take a few hours' practice to get used to C-bouncing and to have it down consistently. If you haven't already read through it, this article should cover everything you need to know about the details of performing it and performing it well.

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
This will probably help, and I'll be playing against a group of my friends today, so hopefully I get to practice some of these things.

Up Tilt and Forward Tilt I use occasionally, its just I use tons of characters with very good Down Tilts or ones that almost rely on it (Roy, Little Mac, Donkey Kong's causing trips, Kirby's for the same purpose) and I love the angle it sends at. Forward Tilt usually I just OOS or as a sort of threatening an opponent that 'I can get you up 25% if I want to, so don't come any closer.)

I know she is a good edgeguarder as a Mac main, and having fought the #1 Sheik in my state as a Mac (and nearly taking one game), I understand that. BF, NAir, BAir, and FAir are her main edgeguarding tools, right?

For grabs and basic grab combos, yeah I understand most of those. BF after Forward Throw and FAir after Forward Throw I already do after watching enough tournament players using Sheik, and the kill 50/50 of UThrow UAir or Vanish... Yeah, I use that, but mostly sparingly. Usually I get a roll read and Down Smash or Forward Smash for kills since that seems to work a ton of the time for me.

Thanks for the tips!
Oos, I personally prefer to nair, as it is a gtfo move but also allows to get some strings. Ftilt can and should be used eg after landing, Fair ftilt fair etc is really flashy imo.
Overall you're correct, Dtilt angles your opponent nicely. Also, it can be used after a weak nair or as mentioned as shield pressure. Keep in mind that the tipper throws your opponent up, which allows for an upair to connect at kill%.

I would add needles to the list of edgeguarding tools, sheiks most likely flashiest combo is aerial needles->Bouncing Fish. If they get used to it, bait the airdodge, then throw. Else, hit them with everything you got, sheik has the tools. I would only recomend using Nair after using Double jump (right after) as it has really long to end and might actually force an SD.

Use the 50/50 setup after uthow a lot more, it's one of your best kill options. Oh, and people get really mad at you when you hit em with vanish. If you are more of the smasher, I might recoommend Upsmash a little. You can do stuff like fair -> Usmash or Fthrow->Upsmash. Also, if they figure or airdodge, just charge it longer :) Then agian, don't feel bad for killing with Dsmash. I personally like the move alot as well especially against roll heavy opponents.
Hope that helps a bit :)

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Bro, it's Dthrow, not Uthrow :p

Yeah, don't feel bad about using Dsmash. People tend not to use it, but it's tied with Usmash as her fastest smash, has decent lateral coverage, and lowers Sheik's hurtbox a bit. It's by no means a great attack, but it certainly has its uses.

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
how should i approach with sheik i know SHFair or empty SH but what else???
I wouldn't recommend approaching unless it's totally necessary.
If it is necessary, SHFF fair, dash-to-shield, and needles if they're charged are generally good approach tools.

Daymaster

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMan9878
I don't really see how one can use Burst Grenade outside of edgeguarding to much effect. Are there any other popular methods of using it?

_Tree

The no-more hero
NNID
DekuBaba
3DS FC
1891-1276-1936
I don't really see how one can use Burst Grenade outside of edgeguarding to much effect. Are there any other popular methods of using it?
Typically, edgeguarding is all you'll use it for. If you're up against a character with a liner projectile however (such as Luigi), throwing out a BG against their projectile will cut the grenade from the string and fling it into the opponent, exploding on impact. This is a niche but effective option if they decide to use their projectile in neutral at high percents.
The grenade recovery animation can also be cancelled by grabbing a ledge, so you can use that for reversals when being pressured on the ledge.

Anyone know the frame data for ledge canceled BF?
https://gfycat.com/SlowExemplaryGrayfox
I don't have the frame data, but it does have less recovery frames than a raw Bouncing Fish landing (if this helps at all).

Last edited:

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Anyone know the frame data for ledge canceled BF?
https://gfycat.com/SlowExemplaryGrayfox
If you land on a platform before the hitbox comes out (frame 26 if you don't make it come out early) then you'll get the cartwheel.
Not sure about how long there is until you can act, but it's a lot faster than landing with a straight bf.

I'm working a thread showing where and when to use this, so keep an eye out.

AirMagic

Smash Rookie
Hello Everyone!
I'm a French player (so sorry for my bad english) of Smash 4 since March 2015. I've played Fox and Sonic for almost the entire 2015 year and since this january, I fall in love into Sheik. Yeah I love fast character, and despite the lack of power, I really enjoy the edgegarding and follow grab option Sheik have. I badly want to main her. In fact, I main her since January and I'll will keep her for ever.

I've whatched all videos of tutorials and guides I've found on Youtube. The Deku's one, Zero's one, Jtails's one, and Fyazko's one.
I know all the basics of Sheik, I learn how to B-Reverse, Needle/Nair into Bouncing fish and other stuff. But my MAINS ISSUES is my neutral game, and killing games. I really dont know how to approach my enemy. I mixt Run to shield and run fair or run to shield to nair.. I have the feeling that I play like a robot and people read me easely. Also, even if I lead the match, I dont succeed to get the kill. I always made my opponent to 160% and I get beat at about 110% its so frustrating. I use Bouncing fish to many times I think, I dont follow very well My up air after a DThrow when the enemy DI away...

So here are some questions I want to tell you:

1) Do I have to use BF more efficiently?
I mean, just when I'm thinking my oppenent will not think about it, and when it is very safe like far away from the field when he cant counter attack me? (I precise that I dont watch yet all the stats about true combo with BF aainst every character)

2) At what percent its better to use Fthrow, Dthrow, and possibly Bthrow?
I know we're not robot, but I think, some techniques are goods at some situations. With my firsts grabs I always use Fthrow to BF. at killing percent, I use often DT to UpAir or UpB (I stale often UpAir when FT to BF doesnt work anymore). In fact, I really really really will appreciate a tutorial all about grab possibilities with Sheik, with all the DI, etc... We'll be great!! I dont know how and when to use the BT. For anticipating the DI? Try to kill with a BF? I dont have the timing of empty hop to BF after à BT or FT. Maybe because I dont neither know the good pourcentage to do it? The jump + little bouncing fish is a True COmbo if the oppenent DI away? Icant perform it. Never succeeded it...

3) What are the best tools to edgegard?
Yeah, sounds again like I want a robot answer and its all good.. I try to mix up my edgegard approach and I have a decent edgegarding game. But I want it to be the best! I love the BF of the wall, works good, but I dont really get the feeling of use a Grenade, or going of the field, or wait for a ledge trump. For that question, I think you cant really help me, its just the way I see its the best/safe way to anoye my enemy. I will learn all the recovery of character to better know what to do.

4) Perfect Pivots are useful?
I heard about PP couples months ago, and Im just not good at all in that. Void is my favorite Sheik man (But I prefer to learn from Zero or M.R matchs..) and his combo are just insane, but I dont knwo to ftilt -> PP -> filt and now Im like "My Sheik will never be at her best level of game". I want my Sheik to be the best, for that do I have to learn hardly the PP combinaisons? Or have I really safe game and big basics combos will be enough?

5) How use the Needle?
I LOVE the Sheik's Needles. I learn B-Reverse, and love all the combo, mindgame, zoning thoses give to the game. I have the felling of control the entire game just with that. But like BF, I think that I use to often the Needle. I in fact get punish for that multiple times... When do I have to use it? or instead, at what time do I dont allow to use it? I get punish mostly at mid range, by a simple jump Bair or jump *throw needl* double jump, punish... I want to optimise that weapon and get into the brain of my oppenent because of that

6) What control do I have to made for use Sheik at her full potential?

Right now I use her that way:

C-Stick for TIlts: I dont use Smash A often so..
R for jump: Its easier for me to follow a DI after a BT by dash with stick, jump with R, and UpAir with C-Stick with the most speed, and for jumping back with a fair. After a missing BF off the stage for example.
Z for Special: I learn and try the C-Bouncing. Im not succeed in gam efor now. And it suck cause I want to learn dash grab to...
X for grab becomes more naturally.
Tap Jump On: Just for short hop air attack.

Really need your advice for the control. I want to main Sheik with all the cap I can. Im ready to change again some things you tell me to become better afterward. Tap jump is need or nah? Really want the optimal input. I have also to works my fair to fair set. Never know if it better to use tap jump + Cstick or Y + A to short hop fair..

7) What are the bests/worst stages for Sheik?
I think the stage selections are also subjective and personal, and unique for all of use, but I think also that Sheik are certainly stronger/weaker on certains stages. Those I love are BF and Dreamland for the USmash tips on the board (dont reminber the reak name ><) so it give more kill setups and its really good. But what stage can be also good for her? And what are the baddest. T&C is good for killing earlier thanks to her lower blast zone, is that true? I dont know the blast zone situation of all stages. BF are the largest? What about Duck Hunt and Lylat? I hate both stages

8) Does play some times with others characters will help my game with Sheik?
I tryhard with Sheik. Im on her maybe be 10h a week just in lab. Players on my team told me that play other charcacter (maybe slower like bowser or gannon) will help me to better play with Sheik. I dont say it befire but Im I roller player... I mean in that that I roll too many times and I tryhard to not do it anymore. I roll really really really lot of time. I had to oblige myself to run shield, or just run, short hop etc. Play Bowser will help me to use more jab, and jump/run for movement because his roll is slow and really punishable. Does it necessary to use other players others to understand their moves?

9) How to do a good spacing with Sheik? I think this is a tight relation with my control. I dont do good spacing fair. I ALWAYS get punish with grab after a fair or nair with bad spacing. I cant fair anyone by holding back. If you have just tools or good input to do it efficiently, I will be glad.

10) What is the good playstyle with Sheik?
I think be aggressive or defensive is good as well, but I do love to be a zonning player. I charge my needles and throw it to get my space and punish bad approach of my enemy. I love just grab or do a little combo, and replace myself safely on the ground. But the bad thigs is that I dont get I good judge of what doing instead of needle when somobody comes to me. I suck at it. And I dont know of to be aggressive and approach eaither..
THAT IT

I know its maybe long, and totaly write with bad english, but I had so many questions that never get answered... Im in a Smash Team since January and Im for now one of the worst player. I want to be the best of it. For now :D
I'm sure that I do have more questions, but I dont remember for now. I found this site by watching videos of Deku Tree and Absol. Love all your works. I will be tune in this forum every day to perfect my Sheik!!
Thank you for riting me, and I WILL answer your answer :p

Last edited:

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Hello Everyone!
I'm a French player (so sorry for my bad english) of Smash 4 since March 2015. I've played Fox and Sonic for almost the entire 2015 year and since this january, I fall in love into Sheik. Yeah I love fast character, and despite the lack of power, I really enjoy the edgegarding and follow grab option Sheik have. I badly want to main her. In fact, I main her since January and I'll will keep her for ever.

I've whatched all videos of tutorials and guides I've found on Youtube. The Deku's one, Zero's one, Jtails's one, and Fyazko's one.
I know all the basics of Sheik, I learn how to B-Reverse, Needle/Nair into Bouncing fish and other stuff. But my MAINS ISSUES is my neutral game, and killing games. I really dont know how to approach my enemy. I mixt Run to shield and run fair or run to shield to nair.. I have the feeling that I play like a robot and people read me easely. Also, even if I lead the match, I dont succeed to get the kill. I always made my opponent to 160% and I get beat at about 110% its so frustrating. I use Bouncing fish to many times I think, I dont follow very well My up air after a DThrow when the enemy DI away...

So here are some questions I want to tell you:

1) Do I have to use BF more efficiently?
I mean, just when I'm thinking my oppenent will not think about it, and when it is very safe like far away from the field when he cant counter attack me? (I precise that I dont watch yet all the stats about true combo with BF aainst every character)

2) At what percent its better to use Fthrow, Dthrow, and possibly Bthrow?
I know we're not robot, but I think, some techniques are goods at some situations. With my firsts grabs I always use Fthrow to BF. at killing percent, I use often DT to UpAir or UpB (I stale often UpAir when FT to BF doesnt work anymore). In fact, I really really really will appreciate a tutorial all about grab possibilities with Sheik, with all the DI, etc... We'll be great!! I dont know how and when to use the BT. For anticipating the DI? Try to kill with a BF? I dont have the timing of empty hop to BF after à BT or FT. Maybe because I dont neither know the good pourcentage to do it? The jump + little bouncing fish is a True COmbo if the oppenent DI away? Icant perform it. Never succeeded it...

3) What are the best tools to edgegard?
Yeah, sounds again like I want a robot answer and its all good.. I try to mix up my edgegard approach and I have a decent edgegarding game. But I want it to be the best! I love the BF of the wall, works good, but I dont really get the feeling of use a Grenade, or going of the field, or wait for a ledge trump. For that question, I think you cant really help me, its just the way I see its the best/safe way to anoye my enemy. I will learn all the recovery of character to better know what to do.

4) Perfect Pivots are useful?
I heard about PP couples months ago, and Im just not good at all in that. Void is my favorite Sheik man (But I prefer to learn from Zero or M.R matchs..) and his combo are just insane, but I dont knwo to ftilt -> PP -> filt and now Im like "My Sheik will never be at her best level of game". I want my Sheik to be the best, for that do I have to learn hardly the PP combinaisons? Or have I really safe game and big basics combos will be enough?

5) How use the Needle?
I LOVE the Sheik's Needles. I learn B-Reverse, and love all the combo, mindgame, zoning thoses give to the game. I have the felling of control the entire game just with that. But like BF, I think that I use to often the Needle. I in fact get punish for that multiple times... When do I have to use it? or instead, at what time do I dont allow to use it? I get punish mostly at mid range, by a simple jump Bair or jump *throw needl* double jump, punish... I want to optimise that weapon and get into the brain of my oppenent because of that

6) What control do I have to made for use Sheik at her full potential?

Right now I use her that way:

C-Stick for TIlts: I dont use Smash A often so..
R for jump: Its easier for me to follow a DI after a BT by dash with stick, jump with R, and UpAir with C-Stick with the most speed, and for jumping back with a fair. After a missing BF off the stage for example.
Z for Special: I learn and try the C-Bouncing. Im not succeed in gam efor now. And it suck cause I want to learn dash grab to...
X for grab becomes more naturally.
Tap Jump On: Just for short hop air attack.

Really need your advice for the control. I want to main Sheik with all the cap I can. Im ready to change again some things you tell me to become better afterward. Tap jump is need or nah? Really want the optimal input. I have also to works my fair to fair set. Never know if it better to use tap jump + Cstick or Y + A to short hop fair..

7) What are the bests/worst stages for Sheik?
I think the stage selections are also subjective and personal, and unique for all of use, but I think also that Sheik are certainly stronger/weaker on certains stages. Those I love are BF and Dreamland for the USmash tips on the board (dont reminber the reak name ><) so it give more kill setups and its really good. But what stage can be also good for her? And what are the baddest. T&C is good for killing earlier thanks to her lower blast zone, is that true? I dont know the blast zone situation of all stages. BF are the largest? What about Duck Hunt and Lylat? I hate both stages

THAT IT

I know its maybe long, and totaly write with bad english, but I had so many questions that never get answered... Im in a Smash Team since January and Im for now one of the worst player. I want to be the best of it. For now :D
I'm sure that I do have more questions, but I dont remember for now. I found this site by watching videos of Deku Tree and Absol. Love all your works. I will be tune in this forum every day to perfect my Sheik!!
Thank you for riting me, and I WILL answer your answer :p
Howdy, AirMagic! Always nice to see new Sheiks here. I'll try to answer your questions one at a time:
  1. Bouncing Fish is an awesome move; there's a reason so many people know its name. As a recovery move, combo finisher, etc., it's a key part of Sheik's kit. That being said, it's a very risky one as well. If you whiff an attack, you're left on the ground for a while, and if you bounce off a shield, they can often punish you, or at the very least get better positioning. As a general rule, I suggest not throwing it out in neutral and instead using it to finish combos or in frame trap situations.
  2. Sheik's grab game is one of her best tools. As a general rule (I'll be tossing out a lot of those, since, there are too many factors to list), I like to suggest Fthrow for low-mid percents and Dthrow for high. At lower percents, if you only do Fthrow>BF, you're missing out on a lot of damage; trying adding in a few Fairs and maybe a regrab. Your opponent's best option is to DI in, so if that happens, you need to react accordingly, as your combos won't last for nearly as long. Dthrow>Vanish is risky, as it never true combos, and missing leaves you very vulnerable. I wouldn't bother with Bthrow/Uthrow, as the former only has a couple possible combos, and the latter doesn't have any.
  3. As you said yourself, the best thing is too learn each character's recovery and then punish accordingly. Nair is often good, as it comes out quickly and stays out for a while, and anything that stage spikes is awesome. grenade from on-stage can be useful for low recoveries, but it's nothing to bet on. I can't give to much general advice, as the variety of recovery strategies in the game means that you can't apply any one or two things to every situation.
  4. Don't bother with perfect pivoting unless you're consistent at it. Its best uses are with the moves mentioned in that video that you seem to have seen, and if used well, you can tack on some damage to already-impressive combos. If you want to, then go on and practice, but you'll be much better just making your neutral stronger.
  5. Use Needles often, but don't abuse them. You can camp from a distance, but if you get sloppy, you're an easy target. Early on, I was often punished for overusing them, so I made it a habit that when I'd hear my brain ask for just one more, I'd do something else instead. One purpose of needles is safety, so if you overextend, you're using them wrong.
  6. I suppose I can give some pointers, but controls are a matter of personal preference. C-stick to Attack is probably the only change that I would call necessary, as if you use it for aerials, Smash stick affects your momentum, and Sheik requires precision. Aside from that, yeah, a trigger for jump and for Special are good for different attacks and techs. Honestly, aside from Attack stick, if it's comfortable go with it.
  7. With Sheik more so than others, good stages are largely a matter of personal preference. Some people love BF and DL for the platforms; others think they get in the way. Some people like Lylat; others aren't completely insane. It's generally agreed that Smashville is pretty great for her, as is Final Destination. I honestly don't know specifics on blast zones for for stages, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. As you play, you'll get a better feel for what stages better fit your style, so go from there.
  8. Yes. This. Labbing is great for tech, etc., but you'll only be a good player if you fight others. You learn people's movement/attacking patterns, how they react to your actions, and much more that should govern a lot of those tricky situations. Do they airdodge a lot? Roll a lot? Throw out risky smashes? Options become less and less situational as you predict what your opponent will do. Another mistake I made early on was to play too much against CPUs and learn their habits, so when it came time to play actual people, I had no idea what to do. Each person is different, but as you face more, you'll learn and identify patterns that Sheik can abuse. As for rolling, do it rarely. It can be punished with fast enough attacks, and you often end up in a worse position on stage. Running to shield is good, but also, don't forget that sometimes, you can just stand still It throws off your opponent and forces them to approach you, which is what Sheik loves most.
  9. For good spacing, just practice a lot. Know how far out her hitboxes extend and how vulnerable you'll be afterward. Retreating Fairs can be effective for poking, and Nair pops them away from you almost immediately. You have to be careful if you're not comfortable with your spacing, especially if you think the opponent will shield.
  10. One thing that makes Sheik really shine is the flexibility of her playstyle. While she's generally an aggressive fighter, she can be defensive or somewhere between the two when needed. If you're playing a zoning game, don't forget to capitalize on openings (remember to read your opponent to optimize punishes). If you try to zone the whole time, you'll just end up slapping them for a little damage, and they will eventually come in and take you out.
I guess that's everything! I hope I was helpful, and if you have more questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Last edited:

AirMagic

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much! I really dont expect that I will receive an answer that fast!
Yeah I have others questions that I add lately after my post ><

8) Does play some times with others characters will help my game with Sheik?
I tryhard with Sheik. Im on her maybe be 10h a week just in lab. Players on my team told me that play other charcacter (maybe slower like bowser or gannon) will help me to better play with Sheik. I dont say it befire but Im I roller player... I mean in that that I roll too many times and I tryhard to not do it anymore. I roll really really really lot of time. I had to oblige myself to run shield, or just run, short hop etc. Play Bowser will help me to use more jab, and jump/run for movement because his roll is slow and really punishable. Does it necessary to use other players others to understand their moves?

9) How to do a good spacing with Sheik? I think this is a tight relation with my control. I dont do good spacing fair. I ALWAYS get punish with grab after a fair or nair with bad spacing. I cant fair anyone by holding back. If you have just tools or good input to do it efficiently, I will be glad.

10) What is the good playstyle with Sheik?
I think be aggressive or defensive is good as well, but I do love to be a zonning player. I charge my needles and throw it to get my space and punish bad approach of my enemy. I love just grab or do a little combo, and replace myself safely on the ground. But the bad thigs is that I dont get I good judge of what doing instead of needle when somobody comes to me. I suck at it. And I dont know of to be aggressive and approach eaither...

I'm now much zen with all the answers and I will practice with more faith in my game. Thank so much!!

Top Bottom