• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Technique with Mario

BioGhost

Smash Rookie
I looked through a bunch of threads and didn't find anything about this, so I decided to post it.

I'm not sure if anyone knows about this already, but I'll post it anyway.

I call it: Aerial Cape Extension (ACE).

While I was messing around in Stage Builder mode I started doing random cape things with Mario during a stage test. I found that it is possible to shoot yourself off of the edge while using your cape, giving it uncanny range.

You do it by running at the edge and using the cape just as you are about to leave the ground. The game lets you keep all of your momentum momentarily while you swing your cape. You can follow this up with a fair and still be able to recover, or jump backwards and shoot a fireball towards your victim before grabbing the edge, etc. The possibilities are endless.

The timing is very hard, but I expect one should be able to master it over time. I'm not sure what the best timing is, but something tells me that, ideally, you should try to press B on the last possible frame before you leave the ground.

It seems very situational, and possibly punishable, but it can be good for a surprise, and there is little risk to SD as you can recover with only your midair jump.

This technique doesn't just have to be used for edgeguarding, though, or else I would name it Aerial Cape Edgeguard. I haven't done much experimenting, but I've found that you can use it to cross the left and right platforms on Battlefield lickety-split.

If everyone already knows about this, I'm sorry for wasting your time.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
HOLY CRAP IT WORKS!!!! WTF! MARIO JUST FLEW OFF THE EDGE!!!!!!!!!! Nice find bro, definitely applying this to my Mario.

fazares

Smash Apprentice
new technique...fazares hop:tap the y or x button slightly....u will be able to do a smaller jump giving u a better approach than the full fledged jump....u can also do an aerial
fazares triple jump:tap x or y twice then at the peak of ur 2nd jump, tap up+b.... u will get a 3rd jump...u can control mario when hes falling after....

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
That's kinda funny how that works.

The timing is the same as

- Taunt Cancelling (in melee)
- ECE (in melee)
- (Link and Y.Link's) Spinhogging (in melee)

it's actually not that hard.

Funny though. XD

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
It sounds like this would become much easier when the c-stick is switched to specials... can anyone verify this, my copy of brawl hasn't yet arrived.

saratos

Smash Apprentice
Ooh neat.

And, Fazare, it is not as obvious as it may sound if you don't even read the whole post.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
This seems to work with same mechanics as the cape-based edgehog talked about in the other threat, only into reverse direction so that your movement+cape isn´t used to grap the ledge but to move along with cape. Might definitely be useful as mindgame and edgeguard against enemies recovering from below.

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
being doing it since i got the game, works best if you cape the opponents second jump instead of the third jump, then go back to the stage and cape the third jump.

waru

Smash Rookie
Ahaha nice find.

This definitely works with edgeplay, which I suck tremendously at. I always bomb it.

This allows me to kind of thrust into their trajectory path (they throw themselves, I guess), instead of trying to awkardly jump and drop in, or wait at the edge.

Rauzaruke

Smash Apprentice
It seems to work in varying degrees with me. Sometimes I get the timing just right and I fly off the ledge. Other times I do get some distance but not as much as a perfectly timed ACE. (I love the acronym for the name but the extended name really doesn't fit. It isn't so much as an extension as it is a glide since you really just fly off the ledge)

XLR

Smash Rookie
Nice discovery, if implemented right, this could catch opponents off guard. No offense, but I'm not a fan of the "ACE" name. Why not call it "The Super Cape"?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Cape glide

I'm glad someone said something about this. I didnt really want to register for the site...laziness ftw. I thought it was a long process. Yeah, I figured it out about a week before the game came out in America with the japanese version, but congrats on finding it on your own. I used it in the gamestop tourney on the day the game came out and people were like wtf?
You can up aerial or forward aerial directly after finishing it and still recover. Its a pretty nice surprise attack. You can also jump after it ends and do a retreating aerial. (Up air works the best. It sends them out almost an instant kill if you get full extension.) Too bad you can't turn around back kick.

I like to call it the Cape Gilde. It rolls off the tongue better for me. ;-)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
As soon as I heard I had to try this...
so many edgeguarding options! so little time!

rushdown

Smash Rookie
I practice this move regularly (but can't really perform it with precision), and I'm already partial to the name. Is it possible to change the title of the thread to something more descriptive? Like Cape Technique: Aerial Cape Extension.

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
This seems to work with same mechanics as the cape-based edgehog talked about in the other threat, only into reverse direction so that your movement+cape isn´t used to grap the ledge but to move along with cape. Might definitely be useful as mindgame and edgeguard against enemies recovering from below.
My thoughts exactly. This is a good edgeguard.
@OP I don't see how this could be used differently than as an edgeguard. Well, i guess you can maybe use it hop some platforms on some counterpick stages... Any other uses?

Rauzaruke

Smash Apprentice
can someone post a video?
I was actually planning on doing something like that because I can't get the timing down to do perfect ACE's/Cape Glide etc. to see what I can do to improve it. If you want I can try to get it up by tonight. It won't be the best quality but at least it would be something.

8~Bit

Smash Rookie
Wow awesome...I'm actually thinking about maining mario and this is a great AT. Thanks Rauz!

BioGhost

Smash Rookie
My thoughts exactly. This is a good edgeguard.
@OP I don't see how this could be used differently than as an edgeguard. Well, i guess you can maybe use it hop some platforms on some counterpick stages... Any other uses?
Well, like you said, it can be used to hop platforms on counterpick stages. On stages like Battlefield I think it might actually have some defensive value for escaping your opponent.

By the way, Rauz, thanks for posting a video of the ACE. I commented on it as JustinHampel.

Florida

イーグランツ
This is an interesting technique. I'm actually making a video tutorial for it. I'll post it here when it's done (should take about a week, I have to get the necessary materials/friends to record my replays for me). Very fun to do, though; I've been playing with this and found out some neat things. If performed on terrain that is icy/slippery, you will go close-to-full distance almost every time. Also, if you time it correctly, Mario will grab the ledge as he's about to slide out. This could easily be used for an instant edgehog.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I am having a little trouble doing the perfect ACE. I can do it so he lands just short of clearing the gap in Battlefield and occasionally able to clear it. Any tips?

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
Same for me, Kupo...I always fall JUST short of reaching the other platform on BF.

Any other characters that can do this and find a use for it with their side-b?

Top Bottom