• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
After Ivysaur became a playable character; my ideas on what can and cannot be a fighter went out the window.
Pretty much. Although I've never had a problem with four legged fighters. I do have a problem with lack of limb fighters (Andross type stuff), and sizes to big (Lugia, you can NOT scale down some characters)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Pretty much. Although I've never had a problem with four legged fighters. I do have a problem with lack of limb fighters (Andross type stuff), and sizes to big (Lugia, you can NOT scale down some characters)
Pre-Brawl I debated vehemently against quadrupedal Pokémon fighters. Then what goes and happens? Ivysaur. Even though technically his vines act as two individual appendages. Still, I do not discount anything anymore. I think we are at a point now, not just with Smash Bros but all fighters, that just about any idea can be implemented if developers spend the time and creative resources to pull it off.

vicgur

Smash Ace
@Shortie
This Suicune moveset sounds fascinating.
I'd really like to see it in battle. Amaterasu in MvC3 is the best example that it's possible.

One thing I hope they get rid of is things like Goldeen and Mr Resseti. They don"t ad anything and are a completely annoying nuisances.
Oh, hey there Mr. Grumpy!
I like them and think they are quite funny. Mr. Resetti is made to be annoying, that's the funny part.
BUT Goldeen has to be less probable to appear. For the love of Gawd, he just appears too much in Brawl. They messed up with the probabilities of that Pokéballs in a way you can have three GOD DAMN Munchlaxes at the same time, and it's not even that difficult to happen...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Pre-Brawl I debated vehemently against quadrupedal Pokémon fighters. Then what goes and happens? Ivysaur. Even though technically his vines act as two individual appendages. Still, I do not discount anything anymore. I think we are at a point now, not just with Smash Bros but all fighters, that just about any idea can be implemented if developers spend the time and creative resources to pull it off.
I agree. But still, I have my limits. Adross and Tetris block are a no, and so is a mini Lugia or Dialga is just dumb.

@Shortie
This Suicune moveset sounds fascinating.
It involves using mist to make the ground slippery, and then using tailwind and hyrdo pump to knock them off the edge. Then Suicune would have good edgegaurding game as well. It's all about pushing, not so much racking up damage. Although you could do that. Suicune's downfall would be having a weaker close range game. Her moves also aren't the mega strongest. But, with all her "pushing moves" you should be able to keep your oponents at bay.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I agree. But still, I have my limits. Adross and Tetris block are a no, and so is a mini Lugia or Dialga is just dumb.
Well I mean within reason. Of course any person should be able to recognize a block would not be an appropriate fighter. Though I would not put it past somebody to be a supporter of "random L block"...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well I mean within reason. Of course any person should be able to recognize a block would not be an appropriate fighter. Though I would not put it past somebody to be a supporter of "random L block"...
I've never understood that character. It's one thing to support an obscure third party/random first party because you're a fan of them, but Tetris block isn't even a character. It's not something you can relate with... It doesn't have a cool design. It's just a ****ing block.

I would pee myself if a Soul Calibur character made it into SSB4, but at least that's a character. I guess people can like what they want, so long as they realize the character doesn't have much of a chance. Or item for some people. (I've seen triforce support)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd actually like these undeserving people such as Tingle and Waluigi in, at least as long as Ridley and Geno are in.

I was a fan of Mario Tennis 64

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I'd actually like these undeserving people such as Tingle and Waluigi in, at least as long as Ridley and Geno are in.

I was a fan of Mario Tennis 64
I wouldn't exactly call Tingle UNDESERVING. At least on the same level as Waluigi. As much as the US hates him, he is like worshiped in Japan and even has his own games where he actually does unique things unlike Waluigi who just does the same thing everyone else does in all of his games. Also, as much as I would love Geno, I would say Tingle has a better shot since Square really DOESN'T care about him. Although maybe if they think that Slime won't be as appreciated in the West(which he wont) they'll throw in Geno who EVERYONE can appreciate. EMIRITE FELLAS?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I've been thinking about making a topic like this:

I make a list of characters who are popular choices for Smash. But here's a twist, I'm going to have the people pick out who is the most undeserving and try to get them to debate on who is and why (I will have a vote tally as well). These are the list of potential newcomers I'm going to put in for sure:

- Bowser Jr.
- Toad
- Paper Mario
-Waluigi (Looking at his role these days, he's not very revelant.)
- King K. Rool
- Dixie Kong
- Tingle
- Ridley
- Krystal
- Mewtwo
- Zoroark
- Victini
- Samurai Goroh
- Black Shadow
- Roy
- Palutena (Uhm, can't just see her attack, I've seen her attack in one of the gameplay trails of Uprising, so maybe after playing Uprising I'd think of this again...)
- Medusa
- Magnus (Screw Sakurai Shoe-ins. Hmph.)
- Little Mac
- Isaac
- Saki Amamiya
- Starfy
- Ray
- Takamaru
- Lip
- Mega Man
Bolded. Was quite challenging. Two KI-reps and two Mario-reps. (-l,l-);

Paper Mario is very good, but despite ALL THE UNIQUENESS AND AWESOMENESS it could bring, I think dealing with likes of Toon Link, Pichu and such is already taking space for newer, different franchises.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just want a character that adds more flavor to the game.

We list all our expected and all our wanted and yet it still feels bland for some reason.

Someone colorful would spice things up real nice

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm glad someone else realizes Slime doesn't have a large enough fanbase in America. Unlike his Final Fantasy counterparts. (Black Mage)

Also, Waluigi is just undeserving. He hasn't done anything. He's a sheep character. I mean, you wouldn't suggest Toadette would you? So stop asking for this creepy mofo.

Tingle has actually established himself as his own entity apart from his mother franchise. He's pretty much the best idea for a fith Loz character. Personally, I think he beats out Toon Zelda/Tetra even.

@Psycho, trust me. Our rosters are going to be way off. Just like they were for Brawl.

The game will have some cool characters.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I just want a character that adds more flavor to the game.

We list all our expected and all our wanted and yet it still feels bland for some reason.

Someone colorful would spice things up real nice
Are you sure you're not just unfamiliar with some characters? I think MOST of the characters we've been suggesting could be really fun to play as:

Bowser Jr.
Tingle
Medusa
Takamaru
Isaac
Saki
Krystal
Ray
Mega Man
Slime
Mach Rider

Maybe it's a bit ironic that Ridley, K. Rool, and Little Mac are probably some of the least interesting characters, yet also the most highly demanded. But even so, they still have potential to be very interesting. (THOUGH I WISH I KNEW MORE ABOUT K. ROOL)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Not Tingle, I don't want him nor do I see him as a playable character in the next Smash, aaaand, before you get heated up, yeah it might happen, but I'd rather see Ghirahim since he's a bigger prominent character, not to mention his game is coming out in November so.....

:phone:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Not Tingle, I don't want him nor do I see him as a playable character in the next Smash, aaaand, before you get heated up, yeah it might happen, but I'd rather see Ghirahim since he's a bigger prominent character, not to mention his game is coming out in November so.....
Because you don't like him means he wouldn't be fun to play as? :awesome:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Nope, what is so special about him that would be "soo fun" to play as? The only fun I'll have is laughing at his gayness him when I see Ghirahim instead, pshh...might as well include Balloon Fighter while were at it, amirite? :awesome:

:phone:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
His homoeroticism would add flavor to the game, of course. :awesome:

Ghirahim oozes of the same thing, so what's the problem anyway.

D

Deleted member

SSBF, you should know better. You don't need to ask WHO is the most deserving. I think you know. :awesome:
That question wasn't about who was the most deserving, but the most undeserving.

The one I consider to be most deserving is obviously Ridley. The least deserving would be Magnus, followed closely by Waluigi.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
...Oh. So you did.

WELL THEN. Magnus and Waluigi sound about right. There are other characters on that list I find DISAGREEABLE, but purely by whether or not they are "deserving" or not, then I would just go with those two I suppose.

Like, Toad is ONLY popular and not much else. Palutena is a very poor choice. Support for Black Shadow is indirect support for Ganondorf. ...Actually I feel bad for lumping Toad in with those two, lol.

Dixie Kong is probably in there somewhere too.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm glad someone else realizes Slime doesn't have a large enough fanbase in America. Unlike his Final Fantasy counterparts. (Black Mage)
I don't think anyone has claimed he did?

On a similar note, if everyone is really honest with themself, putting Megaman over Ryu would be the equivalent of putting Dragon Quest over Final Fantasy. Why? Because "Street Fighter" has sold more as a series than "Megaman". Ryu is, as of now, the unofficial mascot of Capcom in the public sector. More people would at least have a vague idea of Ryu over Megaman. Just being honest here. But I still believe Megaman will be chosen over Ryu because Megaman is the one being requested. Although truly "Resident Evil" is Capcom's best selling series. So either way you cut it the better selling series is not the one in contention. lol

vicgur

Smash Ace
As I said before, talking about third parties is talking about the most unpredictable possibility of the next game.
Sonic might have been an obvious shoe-in to Brawl, but this time is completely different.
We don't even know if Sakurai is putting them[the thirdies] back. If he is, we don't know if he is gonna try to put more without their producers having to beg for him to be in the next Smash[like Kojima did for Snake].
Talking about third parties is talking about the size of the next meteor that is gonna land on the moon.

[Yeah, I know Sakurai talked about the idea of having a Capcom character, but he just answered a question from someone who probably wants Mega Man in the game...]

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
As I said before, talking about third parties is talking about the most unpredictable possibility of the next game.
Sonic might have been an obvious shoe-in to Brawl, but this time is completely different.
We don't even know if Sakurai is putting them[the thirdies] back. If he is, we don't know if he is gonna try to put more without their producers having to beg for him to be in the next Smash[like Kojima did for Snake].
Talking about third parties is talking about the size of the next meteor that is gonna land on the moon.

[Yeah, I know Sakurai talked about the idea of having a Capcom character, but he just answered a question from someone who probably wants Mega Man in the game...]
We could easily have Ryu over Megaman. Despite the outcry Sakurai has often talked highly about Street Fighter. Even going so far as to name the doll he uses to physically show character animation movement his "Ken" (Street Fighter) doll. Having Ryu over Megaman is a very real possibility.

Likewise, Sakurai has spoken of the Dragon Quest series and has some familiarity with some of the development team (more poignantly the producer of IX). Despite the series lack of "name brand" in the West it could be selected over Final Fantasy simply because Nintendo has a greater investment in Dragon Quest over Final Fantasy. Despite Final Fantasy being the better selling and recognized series. But trying to pin down SquareEnix is like trying to guess where the wind will blow next.

Then we have the ultimate question of if Sakurai even wants to go through the trouble of assing guest characters into the next game.

What you say is very true. There are no shoe ins.

Thino

Smash Master
you guys feed yourselves from assumptions or something..

that kind of thing cannot satisfy me , I want facts, I want INFO

HULK SMASH

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well played, Star. >:

Which reminds me that I had been thinking which characters are actually competing with each other. Masked Man and Saki, the way I see it, would surely play very similarly, so to have one and not the other would not be much of a loss. OF COURSE, Saki would win this one. I hope Ganondorf (with a sword) becomes what I want to see in the Black Knight (though maybe NOT AS EXTREME). They could both be extremely heavy, slow sword-users. Ganondorf doesn't really have to be like that, but he wins anyway since Black Knight has very little going for him to begin with.

...I believe there was another but I can't think of it.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
you guys feed yourselves from assumptions or something..

that kind of thing cannot satisfy me , I want facts, I want INFO

HULK SMASH
50% facts
40% common sense
10% opinion

When I mention a factoid. but don't provide a source. It is usually because it can be researched on it's own without me needing to pull up the URL.

Well played, Star. >:

Which reminds me that I had been thinking which characters are actually competing with each other. Masked Man and Saki, the way I see it, would surely play very similarly, so to have one and not the other would not be much of a loss. OF COURSE, Saki would win this one. I hope Ganondorf (with a sword) becomes what I want to see in the Black Knight (though maybe NOT AS EXTREME). They could both be extremely heavy, slow sword-users. Ganondorf doesn't really have to be like that, but he wins anyway since Black Knight has very little going for him to begin with.

...I think there was another but I can't think of it.
I'd say Black Knight would have more competition with Roy than anything.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I guess I was a bit vague, but WHAT I MEANT was that characters aren't just in competition with others from their own series. If a character from a different series could bring something similar to the roster, then that is something else to be considered.

Roy and Black Knight probably wouldn't play alike at all, so having them both shouldn't be a problem (IGNORING OTHER FACTORS, OF COURSE). Though I doubt both of them will get in either way. :awesome:

Some suggest Samurai Goroh and Takamaru would play similarly since they both wield katanas, but I don't see either one pulling off the same kind of moves as the other... Goroh looks so BRUTISH.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Just an off hand note. If anybody truly want's to develope a better understanding of how Sakurai operates and develops Super Smash Bros. I'd read some of the summaries from Masahiro Sakurai's GDC 2008 speech. That will give you a better understanding of the approach he takes with character development and so on.

Then I'd read the latest Iwata interview with Sakurai about Super Smash Bros. 4:

GDC 2008:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/22/gdc08-sakurai-on-super-smash-bros-brawl-development/
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2008/02/sakurai-talks-a/#more

Super Smash Bros. 4:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/09/iwata_asks_smash_bros/
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/60134280

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
So after re-reading all of those, I thought this was interesting:

"Apparently, even some Nintendo characters could not be included because of "rights issues" -- we're not sure which characters he may be referring to."

I wonder who?

Most deserving and undeserving?

I vote everyone to be the most deserving except for Waluigi. To be honest.

And some other characters on that list are not deserving obviously except for Toad. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom