• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Whether we're positive or negative, the safest thing we can do is not to get attached to any one character or feature. We can generate good reasons for characters to be in the game, but let's take them as prediction tools instead of wet dreams.

As much as I want Ridley in the game and as quickly as I can recite all the good reasons for his inclusion (and as much as I want to see that moveset), I'm not going to expect or hope for him.
PFFF. Like that's any fun. Like I'm going to spend two or three years being preemptively disappointed. If the game can't meet REASONABLE expectations, then that would be something to be upset about.

All the Smash games have been great, in my eyes. Brawl will be their starting point, and I enjoyed the hell out of it, so I expect I'll enjoy the hell out of this one too no matter what.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Dangit, will anyone even allow me the opportunity to be witty; picking apart the semantic of words choosen? Fine, deprive a grieving man his only joy. Fare thee well...

On topic: Is anybody worried that for us "forum dwelling" gamers there will be less surprises than for the average player? Take for instance Sukapon. He would be a great shock character to moat everyone outside of Gamefaqs, Smashboards, etc. We have fine toothed every possible character under the sun. The only way I see the community being truly surprised is if we see more "new flavor" characters such as Ghirahim.

:phone:

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
PFFF. Like that's any fun. Like I'm going to spend two or three years being preemptively disappointed. If the game can't meet REASONABLE expectations, then that would be something to be upset about.

All the Smash games have been great, in my eyes. Brawl will be their starting point, and I enjoyed the hell out of it, so I expect I'll enjoy the hell out of this one too no matter what.
Let's just give up on Smash and play Marvel 3. :troll:

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
-Chris Logic-
What do you do when a game's release date is too long away?
:awesome:
Get a girlfriend,go to prison,and the amount of time she waits for you is how long you'll wait for the game.

D

Deleted member

@JavaCroc: This never really bothered me much, but I wouldn't mind if they put in a little more work in updating the classic version of them.
Oasis_S said:
Like that's any fun. Like I'm going to spend two or three years being preemptively disappointed. If the game can't meet REASONABLE expectations, then that would be something to be upset about.
This. Super Smash Bros. is a very high quality series that is pretty much the reason why many people bought a Wii in the first place and why many people will buy the Wii-U for this game. As such, it is expected that it meets very high expectations in all fronts because it's pretty much the last real link Nintendo has between it's core fans. If they cut that last link, Nintendo will forever lose all respect from the majority of it's core gamers.

And I am not going to expect to be unhappy with the final result. If I can't even hope for 44 slots with nine or more good newcomers, I will not be putting up with it, I will put my feet down. and if the online sucks, boycott the game. Sure expecting 55+ slots is too much, but I don't think I am being too unreasonable when I say that 44-49 slots is implausible.
Starphoenix said:
On topic: Is anybody worried that for us "forum dwelling" gamers there will be less surprises than for the average player? Take for instance Sukapon. He would be a great shock character to moat everyone outside of Gamefaqs, Smashboards, etc. We have fine toothed every possible character under the sun. The only way I see the community being truly surprised is if we see more "new flavor" characters such as Ghirahim.
I am not worried about it at all. The only characters that would really shock me are obscure third-party characters or non-video game characters and beside, I'll look at the final roster before deciding to buy the game.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Dangit, will anyone even allow me the opportunity to be witty; picking apart the semantic of words choosen? Fine, deprive a grieving man his only joy. Fare thee well...

I guess it's kind of part of predicting. We've gone through so many character possibilties that it would be difficult for the developers to surprise everyone. Heck, R.O.B. was predicted by people before Brawl's release, and surprised the majority of people still.

So I guess the problem with all this predicting is the roster is less of a surprise for us. However, as long as the roster is good, I'm fine if it doesn't "surprise" me in some way.

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
I think the surprise would come not from "wow, I didn't expect that character" but from "they really chose that guy?"

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
So does anyone advocate the removal of Toon Link due to relevancy issues? If so, who would replace him? That mysterious figure from the Skyward Sword trailer looks interesting.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
So does anyone advocate the removal of Toon Link due to relevancy issues? If so, who would replace him? That mysterious figure from the Skyward Sword trailer looks interesting.
I hate to say this... but the best choice for a new Zelda character is Tingle....

He has his own spinoff, and has appeared in several Zelda titles fairly prominently. Aside from him there's Skull Kid and Vaati with 3ish appearances, and Zant, Midna, Ghirahim, etc. who are one-offs.

A cell-shaded Tingle makes a lot of sense.

I don't think people hate him as much anymore. I mean, I used to HATE him, but now, it's just ambivalence.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Everyone in Japan loves Tingle, which is why his spinoff games were only released there. So he's quite possible.
Very true. Supposedly he was left out of Brawl because of Western hatred. I think that's subsided in recent years, so it's very possible he will make a return.

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
What will he do, though? Draw his opponents a map to the blastlines and hope they follow it?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Toon Link seems to be the face of handheld LoZ now. He's a significant part of LoZ, no way around that. I'd say just give him a new moveset? He has so many options, he has the potential to be truly unique.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
What will he do, though? Draw his opponents a map to the blastlines and hope they follow it?
Not really sure... he could use his Balloon for his up-B, based on his Balloon Fighter-style game. His series is known as Tingle's Rupeeland and supposedly is based around him fighting off a rupee based curse? So... rupee related attacks?

With a character as.... colorful as Tingle, there's lots of possibilities.

@Oasis

Agreed! They need to tap into that vast array of Toon Link games. maybe his final smash could be a Four Swords split-off. Or use the Minish cap, etc. there's tons that COULD be done... Sakurai seems to be wary of eliminating movesets in the fear people will get mad. Even if they are clones (ala ganondorf)

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Not really sure... he could use his Balloon for his up-B, based on his Balloon Fighter-style game. His series is known as Tingle's Rupeeland and supposedly is based around him fighting off a rupee based curse? So... rupee related attacks?

With a character as.... colorful as Tingle, there's lots of possibilities.
I forgot which game Sakurai wanted Balloon Fighter in, but Tingle would be a decent medium for him to let out all his Balloony quirks.

D

Deleted member

I don't really advocate his removal, thought I wouldn't mind if he got axed to make room for more deserving newcomers.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Agreed! They need to tap into that vast array of Toon Link games. maybe his final smash could be a Four Swords split-off. Or use the Minish cap, etc. there's tons that COULD be done... Sakurai seems to be wary of eliminating movesets in the fear people will get mad. Even if they are clones (ala ganondorf)
Honestly, I could see him being incredibly unique only by adding the Wind Waker to his list of items. Brawl brought about those vacuum and push effects, so utilizing those as "wind" would be very interesting I think. Blowing characters around and junk. Final Smash summons a cyclone? OH, and he should use that leaf as an Up Special to glide. >8O

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It was actually discussed not-so-long ago.

He instantly lost to Megaman, like every other third party with exception of Snake and Sonic.
Why does it have to be bomber vs bomber, let's just love them both and not put this imaginary (Though probably realistic) barrier separating their "chances"

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
Mega Man Legends 3 getting cancelled is so freak'n stupid of Capcom and this news kind of puts a chink in Mega Man's otherwise very good looking plausibility.

While that doesn't in itself mean Mega Man is less likely to show up in Smash Bros. it does kind of dash my hopes (rockman dash to be exact).

Not specifically because Mega Man Legends 3 isn't coming out because Mega Man still has a huge legacy in video games but that game getting cancelled among other recent developments and fan backlash to Capcom kind of implies Capcom just doesn't give a crap. So Capcom themselves might prevent Mega Man, Ryu or any of their characters from joining Smash Bros. despite fan demand.

They could probably save a lot of face if they let Mega Man be in Smash Bros. but maybe they just don't care about that.

It gives other less likely 3rd party characters a fighting chance at any rate. Particularly if the creator of said characters wants them in Smash Bros.

Or maybe Nintendo wont bother with more 3rd party characters and Mega Man had the best shot due to demand and legacy. Though there's still Square-Enix and they're getting rather cozy with Nintendo again.

I'm still hoping for Mega Man but things aren't looking good with Capcom as they are.

Honestly as much as I'd like to see various 3rd party characters, if Mega Man doesn't make it I'm fine with either keeping just Sonic and Snake (maybe adding more playable characters from their games even) or not including any 3rd party characters in the next Smash Bros. I'd love to play as Bomberman, Crono, Geno, Travis Touchdown, Viewtiful Joe, Ryu, Phoenix Wright or quite a few other 3rd party characters but none as much as Mega Man.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
WTF, Megaman Legends 3 was cancelled yesterday!?! I just learned of this! I also didn't realize Megaman Universe was cancelled.

R.I.P. Megaman? Didn't appear in Marvel vs Capcom either

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
WTF, Megaman Legends 3 was cancelled yesterday!?! I just learned of this! I also didn't realize Megaman Universe was cancelled.

If only.

But seriously, everyone is pooping there pants like Megaman is offically earased from history.

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
Honestly I can't lower my expectations enough not to expect at least Little Mac, Saki or Isa, Isaac or Matthew and Starfy.

If everyone else from Brawl came back or maybe only Wolf or Falco, Toon Link, Sonic and Snake and some Pokemon were cut I'd be relatively content if I have a playable Punch-Out, Golden Sun and Sin and Punishment rep.

If they cut several characters from Brawl that were not the ones I just mentioned... that would be rather disappointing to me to varying degrees depending on the characters. I'd be less disappointed if they were Wii U exclusive and simply not on the 3DS game for whatever reason.

You'd have to really disappoint me not to buy either game. As long as I can play as Luigi and some Fire Emblem reps I'm gonna remain pretty content but any roster in my mind is surely more to my liking than what we'll ultimately get so I wont expect a huge roster and I'll expect there will be some shock worthy characters in the mix as always and the build-up will make the final product seem inadequate at first but I'm gonna like playing it anyway and eventually will see the good in the characters I considered less than worthy.

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
If only.

But seriously, everyone is pooping there pants like Megaman is offically earased from history.
Oh surely Mega Man lives on another day and likely will be around as long as video games are. But Capcom as of right now might have no interest in getting Mega Man in Smash Bros. considering they didn't put him in MvC3 and cancelled 2 of his games recently.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oh surely Mega Man lives on another day and likely will be around as long as video games are. But Capcom as of right now might have no interest in getting Mega Man in Smash Bros. considering they didn't put him in MvC3 and cancelled 2 of his games recently.
It just doesn't matter. His status is too high for something like that to really be the deciding factor on his inclusion.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
But if Capcom wont play ball all the status in the world isn't going to get him in the next Smash Bros.

That's what I'm saying. Not that a few cancelled games are going to keep him from appearing.
If they aren't playing ball he isn't getting in period. Regaurdless of if he gets any new 3DS games. This isn't about and never will be about Nintendo looking at recent titles and saying "Hmmmm.....x character is cool, let's add him". So long as Capcom is willing, and the fans push like a motherlicker, that's all that would get him in the game. It's about Fanservice, or personal favors. That's pretty much it. Nintendo won't add third parties without either of these.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

It's such a pity that it got cancelled isn't it?

Though Im not going to let this little incident hold me down, I believe regardless of that fans more than EVER are going to demand Megaman for Smash; which means the demand for him will probably skyrocket that Sakurai may have mo choice but to include him, that goes for Capcom as well, as an apology for this they should really listen to the fans and make it up to them(us).

I still believe Megaman no, now more than ever has higher chance for Smash 4, he is by far the most deserving 3rd party character ATM in my opinion.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
"Do you have a life?":troll:
"Are you guys going to talk about this **** for 3 years?"
Well guess what, it's gonna happen since we ate likely going to either get an e3 2012 trailer or possibly a new Smash DOJO, which would get things started again and we would truly be able to speculate with any given facts handed to us, as for now it's fully fun hypothethical speculation.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I never played any Mega Man titles, so I'm pretty much neutral with him. However, I'm pretty sure that many Mega Man fanboys are upset after hearing about the Mega Man title cancellations.

Capcom has to be big chickens if it did something like that.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Although that cancellation probably won't really affect Megaman's potential inclusion, it doesn't help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom