• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Don't you think you hit Brawl's limit quicker than Melee's?

I want a game that's gameplay is deep enough to keep me wanting to play. The modes only amuse you for so long. It's the gameplay that makes me stick around. I wouldn't mind deeper gameplay than Melee TBH.
Both are deep, you just haven't wrap around Brawl's yet. You are really showing bias right now.

Both are deep in their own respect. You can't compare that. If you think you can be amazing at Melee and then just jump on Brawl and be good. PLEASE come down to GA and beat every note worthy brawl player here, I'll give you all my money I have made from my job recently. That is little bit above 500$, with your logic this should be free 500.

Lets talk deeper into the foundation of smash games then characters and stages. I would like to believe that every that requires "skill" has the law of diminishing returns lurking near by. Do people really like melee because the slope was a bit steeper to begin with or was it really fun? At the core what makes competitive smash fun?
TBH, I liked Melee more because of it's pace, and then when I ask the local casuals they say the same.

Overall to answer your question, it's the same answer to why anyone likes playing fighters competitively.

@YOUR EDIT: omg what he is saying is mad simple....one is more physically demanding while the other is mentally. What is not to understand?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Both are deep, you just haven't wrap around Brawl's yet. You are really showing bias right now.

Both are deep in their own respect. You can't compare that. If you think you can be amazing at Melee and then just jump on Brawl and be good. PLEASE come down to GA and beat every note worthy brawl player here, I'll give you all my money I have made from my job recently. That is little bit above 500$, with your logic this should be free 500.
I'm going to try and explain what I'm saying, so bear with me.

You said it yourself, One is more about playing, while the other is more about thinking. I never said that Brawl was easy. I'm saying Melee has more depth to the gameplay because it requires you to be good at "playing" not being good at "thinking about what do do next". With Melee there is more in the game you have to learn how to do. You have to click these buttons at this time to do this. With Brawl it's more like you have to know when to do this so you can do this to your opponent. I mean, when I say depth, I mean I want a game that has physically MORE to learn. More buttons to click/tilt at the right time to do things. You see what I'm saying by depth?

I understand 100% that Melee plays differently then Brawl, so you don't have to keep bringing that up. I'm talkking about "physical" vs. "intellectual" right now. I'm trying to convey my ideas without knowing the terms, so bear with me.

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
Rainbow dash called in the troll,so here I am :awesome:
Randumness:

Wtf?Get off my poster Iblis :troll:

inbe4threadgottooserious

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Idk why I have to repeat the same thing either yo.

I said in my 2nd post that they aren't going to be alike either game anyways. Which doesn't pertain to being physically demanding or mentally. It can physic changes, hitbox disjoints, etc.

@Shortie: You just want a fast paced game, doesn't sound like depth at all.

@Omega: DA **** UP

@Chris: If only that made sense?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So you're saying fast paced games don't have depth?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
No, your explanation only says, "I want more clicks per second". That is speed, not depth. You can have a fast game and no depth what so ever.

Basically, just make a street fighter type game and speed it up. That's a lot of button inputs plus speed.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
You know what would make my day?

THIS!!

:phone:
DA **** UP

Man I bet player-1 romps @ Melee, just look at that determination.

Yo, is there a short way to bypass the 3min limit on replays? without a capture
Hacks

Are you trying to describe falling down a pit at extreme speed? :awesome:
Okay, you made me laugh with this one. LOL

lol

I want in on it too.

[spam off]
LOL

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
No, your explanation only says, "I want more clicks per second". That is speed, not depth. You can have a fast game and no depth what so ever.

Basically, just make a street fighter type game and speed it up. That's a lot of button inputs plus speed.
Well I like Melee for the above reasons.

If speed and combos/whatnot aren't part of a games "depth" whatsoever, can you define depth then?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Advanced techniques, reading, option limiting, zoning, camping (yes I said it), character moveset and their weakness and strengths, stage factors, disjoints, Auto canceling, buffering, frame perfect links, etc.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I really like Zelda in Melee. She's my favorite character play as. I probably win more with Doc though.

Kantrip

Kantplay
depth - complexity or obscurity, as of a subject: a question of great depth.

Brawl has more depth than Melee, because it is complex and involves a lot of thought and predicting to succeed. Mindgames are more potent, and playstyles are more conservative because punishes are abundant. Brawl takes immense amount of thinking so as to avoid this punishment. Therefore, it has "depth".

Melee, on the other hand, contains a series of inescapable combos and is reliant on advanced techniques and quick fingers. Thought is less important here, because once you mindgame or bait the opponent once, you can get them in a combo that racks an obscene amount of damage where in brawl you'd only have gotten one or two hits.

In Brawl, you can string attacks together and play with a very aggressive playstyle. However, very few things are inescapable and there are only a small number of true combos. These attack strings are dependant instead on predicting your opponent's DI and airdodges. This adds more "depth" because you cannot just mindlessly execute combos you have practiced. You actually have to react and play on the spot.

In Melee, there are true combos that take no thought after you master them to perform in a match. While this was worse in 64, it is still very apparent in Melee. Melee has even more Advanced Techniques than Brawl, and these techniques are used to improve combos rather than to mindgame the opponent.

Brawl has more "depth" than Melee.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Just in case anyone is curious, here is what I expect to see from the next Smash Bros:

Solid Snake, Sonic the Hedgehog, Lucario, and Ike will be cut.

All of the cut Melee characters will remain absent.

No third party characters will be in this game.

A universal roster of 42 characters

Only three new playable series will be added; Punch Out, Legendary Starfy, and our shock retro character. The rest will be additions to series already present.

Little Mac
Starfy
Zoroark/Victini
Palutena
Bowser. Jr
Dark Samus (who will be a clone)
Cranky Kong
Tingle
Caeda
Shock retro

That is all I anticipate at this point. You guys think I'm joking but I'm dead serious. I keep my expectations low.

:phone:

Kantrip

Kantplay
Hey star, as much as I love Cranky Kong and want to see him in the next Smash, what made you predict him and not K. Rool and/or Dixie (and even Funky really)?

Also, what kind of moveset do you see Cranky as having? Mine was one where he actually acted as a Pokémon Trainer for Squawks, Squitter, and Rambi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom