• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
QFT. Megaman is the posterboy of a dead genre and an archaic playstyle. It's not surprising they're cancelling his games. Not to mention the only people who LIKE him are the fanboys who grew up with his games and have nothing but extreme nostalgia. No offense to Megaman fans, but if one was completely ignorant of the Megaman hype, one would see a little boy that is supposed to be a robot or whatever going around and fighting bosses like "Sheep Man" and "Wood Man" with the main villain being just an old dude in a lab coat, and would think, wow this is ****ing stupid. Obviously newer gamers without that nostalgia agree since they arent buying his games. Capcom didn't even botther putting him in MVC3, ffs!

:phone:
Haha, I love your rage towards Megeman, or at least your inclusion agaisnt him. :awesome:

3rd party character like Layton should be given a chance, that's my thought to be honest.

Professor Layton FTW!!!!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
QFT. Megaman is the posterboy of a dead genre and an archaic playstyle. It's not surprising they're cancelling his games. Not to mention the only people who LIKE him are the fanboys who grew up with his games and have nothing but extreme nostalgia. No offense to Megaman fans, but if one was completely ignorant of the Megaman hype, one would see a little boy that is supposed to be a robot or whatever going around and fighting bosses like "Sheep Man" and "Wood Man" with the main villain being just an old dude in a lab coat, and would think, wow this is ****ing stupid. Obviously newer gamers without that nostalgia agree since they arent buying his games. Capcom didn't even botther putting him in MVC3, ffs!

I agree with this actually. Megaman games aren't bad, they're just dated and their design just screams Mission Packed Sequel. IMO, it wasn't Street Fighter that created Capcom Sequel Stagnation, but rather Megaman did.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Haha, I love your rage towards Megeman, or at least your inclusion agaisnt him. :awesome:

3rd party character like Layton should be given a chance, that's my thought to be honest.

Professor Layton FTW!!!!

Im not against Megaman's inclusion at all. I'm actually for him because he IS Megaman and does deserve a spot and would be a unique character, as much as I dislike him. Plus, I can't have a Capcom rep that isn't Megaman because that would be Ryu and **** THAT. So all in all, what I like and what im for are different. I LOVE Banjo and Kazooie and want them to be playable VERY badly, but I'm not "for" them because they stand no chance. My comments are just in reference to the death of Megaman's franchise.

And yes. Professor Layton 4TW indeed. The legions of Layton supporters are expanding! Soon, we will have converted all to our gentlemanly ways! Even the douchey Travis Touchdown fans won't be immune to our puzzling allure!

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Plus, I can't have a Capcom rep that isn't Megaman because that would be Ryu and **** THAT.:phone:
Capcom made Ghouls 'n Ghosts, didn't they? I think they have a decent character pool to choose from besides Ryu.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
This. Back then, only those against third-party characters were against his inclusion (For the most part). Now it seems as those who don't want him in are trying to capitalize on the cancellation to make it out that he won't get in. What they don't realize is that this will fade away eventually and people will continue to demand his inclusion, possibly at an even higher level. The dedication of that fanbase is what may lead to his inclusion.
Just because the Megaman series isn't at it's peak doesn't mean it will hurt his chances for SSB4 too much, given that he's by far the most popular third-party character Sakurai can add to SSB4.

Sonic isn't in a great state either, yet he's in Brawl.

If Megaman got into SSB4, it actually could be just the decision Capcom would hope for to revive his struggling franchise.

Im not against Megaman's inclusion at all. I'm actually for him because he IS Megaman and does deserve a spot and would be a unique character, as much as I dislike him. Plus, I can't have a Capcom rep that isn't Megaman because that would be Ryu and **** THAT. So all in all, what I like and what im for are different. I LOVE Banjo and Kazooie and want them to be playable VERY badly, but I'm not "for" them because they stand no chance. My comments are just in reference to the death of his franchise.

While I do think Megaman is deserving of a third-party slot, I've never really understood all the love for him. Plus, he just isn't that interesting of a character to me - even with his history with Nintendo and his great moveset potential, he never caught my eye. I'm pretty much neutral on his inclusion.

If I were designing SSB4 exactly as I wanted, and I didn't need to worry about sales or the fans' wants, I might get rid of third-party characters to bring the focus back on Nintendo.

Honestly, while the addition of third-party characters probably is mostly beneficial for the series, it's also annoying that it becomes the most popular character discussion for SSB4, and the insipid suggestions like Goku and Squall will keep pouring out as long as third-party characters exist.

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck

I actually don't want any SF characters in the next Smash. It would feel . . . awkward and out of place.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Chun-Li <3
Dem thighs... I actually wouldn't mind her... THIGHS...

In all seriousness, the only capcom franchise that has characters I actually like is Darkstalkers. If you can get past all the fetishy madness, the character designs are unique and very awesome. Shame it has been so marginalized. Well, there's also Okami which is ****ing AMAZING but I don't count that because Capcom didn't actually develop it, so they don't get credit for Ammy!

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
wow! past the 1000 page mark already...

anyways, i have been staring at Capcom's office like batman on reconnaissance. the more i see, the more i despise what they are becoming.
i feel that the cancellation of MML3 is the same reason for the cancellation of MMU. no Keiji Inafune at the helm. unless another developer that's not inaf-KING comes in and makes another megaman, there won't be any more megaman games in the near future.

also, Capcom doesn't care about their fans.

OmegaXXII

Im not against Megaman's inclusion at all. I'm actually for him because he IS Megaman and does deserve a spot and would be a unique character, as much as I dislike him. Plus, I can't have a Capcom rep that isn't Megaman because that would be Ryu and **** THAT. So all in all, what I like and what im for are different. I LOVE Banjo and Kazooie and want them to be playable VERY badly, but I'm not "for" them because they stand no chance. My comments are just in reference to the death of Megaman's franchise.

And yes. Professor Layton 4TW indeed. The legions of Layton supporters is expanding! Soon, we will have converted all to our gentlemanly ways! Even the douchey Travis Touchdown fans won't be immune to our puzzling allure!
IMO I think Megaman is a bit overrated, don't get me wrong though, I love Megaman as a character, though I thin overlooked characters like Layton should at least be taken into consideration, if someone Mentions megaman, people automatically have the mentality of seeing him in Smash 4(no offense).

This would also give other 3rd party such as Banjo-Kazooei and Sora a chance to be in Smash.

*Inb4sorahaterseesthis* :awesome:

Nine

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Philip
3DS FC
2294-4620-8242
I would like street fighter to be in Smash Brothers.
Street Fighter is a real fighting game with all the technical things required and the huge competition there is. (Yes I am A Fan OF DAIGO:D)
I don't want some cheapy megaman there. We want real fighters >: D
well I just Hope Ono does work with Nintendo on the next smash brothers. Sakurai has lost my respect cuz of how much he denies smash brothers being competitive. Melee for me was very competitive.

D

Deleted member

Everyone, let's do a thought exercise. Imagine if we get a universal roster with only thirty-eight slots then adjust your expectation accordingly. You don't have to do a roster, you just have to say who you would cut and who would you bring as newcomers. I did a roster as an example of this:
[COLLAPSE="Roster"]Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, or Toad*

Donkey Kong:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool*

Yoshi:
Yoshi

Wario:
Wario

The Legend of Zelda:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf*

Metroid:
Samus
Ridley*

Kirby:
Kirby
Meta-Knight
King Dedede

Star Fox:
Fox
Falco*
Wolf*

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Victini*

F-zero:
Captain Falcon

Mother:
Ness

Fire Emblem:
Marth
Ike*

Kid Icarus:
Pit
Medusa*

Pikmin:
Olimar

Retro:
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch*
R.O.B.*

Punch-Out!!:
Little Mac

Sin & Punishment:
Saki Amamiya

The Mysterious Mursame Castle:
Takamaru*

That is thirty-eight character slots with the following cuts:

Toon Link, Lucario, Lucas, Snake, and Sonic the Hedgehog. I personally don't care for Toon Link or Lucas much, Lucario has a decent chance of losing his spot (Although this does go down if Victini is playable, although does not keep him safe), and Snake and Sonic are third-party characters and they are not guarantee to return. I am only expecting eight newcomers, none of which are third-party characters.[/COLLAPSE]Don't get me wrong, this isn't me being pessimistic here. I for one can easily see the game getting 49 character slots (Random not included) without an universal roster and I predict 44 slots with no universal roster; this is just me lowering my expectations as much as I possibly can and I doubt that even with universal roster that I'll be disappointed.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
My problem with Capcom is much larger than just Megaman. The latest cancellation of Legends 3 has been the last straw because of how disgusting they have handled the situation. That is what I have a problem with.

It won't be long before Capcom runs the fighting game genre into the ground as they did once before.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Outside of Smash, Capcom is the fighting industry tbqh. You have other fighting games but they don't quite compare, DoA and the such.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Street Fighter is a real fighting game with all the technical things required and the huge competition there is. (Yes I am A Fan OF DAIGO:D)
well I just Hope Ono does work with Nintendo on the next smash brothers. Sakurai has lost my respect cuz of how much he denies smash brothers being competitive. Melee for me was very competitive.
Hmm .. Mario is not a 'real fighter', but I must admit, it would be cool to see Ryu or Chris in Sm4sh! But, obviously, it would not be better than megaman!

OmegaXXII

NO NO NO!!!!!
:mad:
This is madness!!!

We don't need another fighter taking over Smash, if you want to play Street Fighter go ahead and play that.

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
I wouldn't mind too much if they cut 3rd party characters out entirely. I would miss Snake a little, but it would allow more room for characters that really deserve spots in the game.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
NO NO NO!!!!!
This is madness!!!

We don't need another fighter taking over Smash, if you want to play Street Fighter go ahead and play that.

QFT

Nine I thought you started a topic in melee. Go troll that one.

@star
I was disappointed when they stopped power stone too. IMO one of capcoms best. I plan on buying a dreamcast off eBay just for the game..... And maybe sonic adventure

OmegaXXII

1+ post count :cool:

What is it with Capcom lately? They seem to be dissapointing fans, if anything from this cancellation, my hopes for Megaman in Smash 4 are somewhat pessimistic.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
My problem with Capcom is much larger than just Megaman. The latest cancellation of Legends 3 has been the last straw because of how disgusting they have handled the situation. That is what I have a problem with.

It won't be long before Capcom runs the fighting game genre into the ground as they did once before.

I honestly think it's the business people that's hurting Capcom. As I said earlier, Inafune left because of them. In fact, Dead Rising almost didn't make it because of executive meddling.

And I'm not worried about Capcom hurting the fighting genre. Say what you may about him, but at least Ono cares about broadening the audience for fighting games, especially in a way that keeps the old fans reasonably happy. IMO, if he and the rest of the team can make Street Fighter x Tekken an incredible game, I will have the utmost respect for him, even if he does make decisions I don't agree on.

Outside of Smash, Capcom is the fighting industry tbqh. You have other fighting games but they don't quite compare, DoA and the such.
It's more like they don't get enough love. Games like Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, King of Fighters, and Virtua Fighter are often looked over for various reasons with Tekken being the sole exception.

I'm not mentioning Smash in that list because it has massive fanservice on its side to maintain popularity.
NO NO NO!!!!!
This is madness!!!

You know, taking mechanics from other fightings and then Smash-ifying them wouldn't hurt the series. I honestly believe that if you were to put in chains, bring back mobility options from Melee (or at least dash dancing and make L-Canceling automatic), and add in new mechanics like special canceling and the ability to turn around in mid-air will give a very in depth and rewarding game.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Regarding Adventure Mode, it seems most people (including me) would at least like more Nintendo enemies, locations, and references in the adventure.

So what enemies, locations, or even little obscure references do you want in the next Adventure Mode?

Here are some location ideas:
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Did I need to suggest this place?
  • Bowser's Castle 1: In my idea for Adventure Mode, there are two separate Bowser's Castles. This first one is one of the first set of levels Mario (and whoever else is with him) encounter. The boss fight obviously is against Bowser. When you defeat Bowser, he flies off in his Koopa Koopa Car wounded.
  • Bowser's Castle 2: The second Bowser's Castle - this level would be encountered in the latter half of the mode and be high-level. Your boss fight starts with normal Bowser again, but then some incident occurs, and you fight Giga Bowser. Defeating Giga Bowser rewards you with the Giga Bowser trophy.
  • Dungeon (Legend of Zelda): Your generic Zelda-inspired dungeon. It would be required to have an eerie, discomforting remixed version of this classic theme playing. The boss here could be against Ganon in his beast form, or another Zelda boss such as Skull Kid or Ghirahim (this story isn't canon, so it wouldn't matter if one of the characters or bosses encountered is dead in their own series).
  • New Pork City: The lair of Pokey Minch and his Pigmask Army, and possibly the lair of additional villains too. Definitely a high-level area.
  • Outer Space: You could represent many different franchises with just one level in outer space. Star Fox, Metroid, the possibilities are endless. The level can consist of one gigantic, epic space fight, and you're fighting enemies on top of the spacecraft involved in this war as well as asteroids and the like.
  • Murasame Castle: If Takamaru is featured in the game, this would be another good high-level location.

I have no idea how these levels would link up, but I think they would be impressive to play in.

As for an enemy, how about this guy? :troll:

OmegaXXII

You know, taking mechanics from other fightings and then Smash-ifying them wouldn't hurt the series. I honestly believe that if you were to put in chains, bring back mobility options from Melee (or at least dash dancing and make L-Canceling automatic), and add in new mechanics like special canceling and the ability to turn around in mid-air will give a very in depth and rewarding game.
The way you make it sound would be awesome. :cool:

I only stated that because Nine doesn't seem to appreaciate the Smash style of fighting, specifically Brawl, he's just a Melee elitist that doesn't appreciate the uniqueness and style of Smash.

But sure, if such techniques were "smashified" to a certain point then I wouldn't mind those, though I am not expecting a Melee 2.0 for any reason.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
^^^^^ them it wouldn't be super smash bros, it'd be Capcom presents smash bros. >_>

I've said this a million times. Those changes wouldn't endanger the identity of Smash. The idea with these changes is to make the game faster paced and more rewarding, not to turn it into Guilty Gear x Smash.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
That's very subjective. To you it would still be the same smash experience IMO it would be an ugly hybrid that ruins the game

OmegaXXII

@JavaCroc: I love your idea of Having Bowser's Castle in adventure, thought the outer portion of it should take place outside the castle, while the inside with the lava in all from SMB should be a Smash stage.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Regarding Adventure Mode, it seems most people (including me) would at least like more Nintendo enemies, locations, and references in the adventure.

So what enemies, locations, or even little obscure references do you want in the next Adventure Mode?

Here are some location ideas:
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Did I need to suggest this place?
  • Bowser's Castle 1: In my idea for Adventure Mode, there are two separate Bowser's Castles. This first one is one of the first set of levels Mario (and whoever else is with him) encounter. The boss fight obviously is against Bowser. When you defeat Bowser, he flies off in his Koopa Koopa Car wounded.
  • Bowser's Castle 2: The second Bowser's Castle - this level would be encountered in the latter half of the mode and be high-level. Your boss fight starts with normal Bowser again, but then some incident occurs, and you fight Giga Bowser. Defeating Giga Bowser rewards you with the Giga Bowser trophy.
  • Dungeon (Legend of Zelda): Your generic Zelda-inspired dungeon. It would be required to have an eerie, discomforting remixed version of this classic theme playing. The boss here could be against Ganon in his beast form, or another Zelda boss such as Skull Kid or Ghirahim (this story isn't canon, so it wouldn't matter if one of the characters or bosses encountered is dead in their own series).
  • New Pork City: The lair of Pokey Minch and his Pigmask Army, and possibly the lair of additional villains too. Definitely a high-level area.
  • Outer Space: You could represent many different franchises with just one level in outer space. Star Fox, Metroid, the possibilities are endless. The level can consist of one gigantic, epic space fight, and you're fighting enemies on top of the spacecraft involved in this war as well as asteroids and the like.
  • Murasame Castle: If Takamaru is featured in the game, this would be another good high-level location.

I have no idea how these levels would link up, but I think they would be impressive to play in.

As for an enemy, how about this guy? :troll:
In my opinion, the SSE was great, and he did not need the locations of other games, but had their own places, and this must continue! But I think a castle Bowser would be cool (exception),The new adventure mode needs its own local!

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i saw the bowser one... i like the down B jump cancel move... i think imma subscribe to that... even though i dont have a Wii or Brawl

OmegaXXII

It looks awesome indeed, but I'd rather have Street Fighter as Street Fighter and Smash as Smash, simple as that!

@augustflores: You don't own Brawl? 0_o

Get it son!!

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Fun games for different reasons.

Street Fighter is obviously more fulfilling. Well, at least the good ones, altho I can't deny that Smash 64 is as fun and deep as it ever was.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Everyone, let's do a thought exercise. Imagine if we get a universal roster with only thirty-eight slots then adjust your expectation accordingly. You don't have to do a roster, you just have to say who you would cut and who would you bring as newcomers. I did a roster as an example of this:
[COLLAPSE="Roster"]Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, or Toad*

Donkey Kong:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool*

Yoshi:
Yoshi

Wario:
Wario

The Legend of Zelda:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf*

Metroid:
Samus
Ridley*

Kirby:
Kirby
Meta-Knight
King Dedede

Star Fox:
Fox
Falco*
Wolf*

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Victini*

F-zero:
Captain Falcon

Mother:
Ness

Fire Emblem:
Marth
Ike*

Kid Icarus:
Pit
Medusa*

Pikmin:
Olimar

Retro:
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch*
R.O.B.*

Punch-Out!!:
Little Mac

Sin & Punishment:
Saki Amamiya

The Mysterious Mursame Castle:
Takamaru*

That is thirty-eight character slots with the following cuts:

Toon Link, Lucario, Lucas, Snake, and Sonic the Hedgehog. I personally don't care for Toon Link or Lucas much, Lucario has a decent chance of losing his spot (Although this does go down if Victini is playable, although does not keep him safe), and Snake and Sonic are third-party characters and they are not guarantee to return. I am only expecting eight newcomers, none of which are third-party characters.[/COLLAPSE]Don't get me wrong, this isn't me being pessimistic here. I for one can easily see the game getting 49 character slots (Random not included) without an universal roster and I predict 44 slots with no universal roster; this is just me lowering my expectations as much as I possibly can and I doubt that even with universal roster that I'll be disappointed.
A 38-slot roster? That would be difficult. As a "prediction" type roster, it would like like yours.

But If I could decide who gets in or not with only 38 slots (edit: basically if I had complete control), while still needing to address new characters, it would look like this:
[COLLAPSE=My 38-Slot Roster]
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Toad
  6. Donkey Kong
  7. Diddy Kong
  8. King K. Rool
  9. Yoshi
  10. Wario
  11. Link
  12. Zelda/Sheik
  13. Ganondorf
  14. Samus/Zero Suit Samus
  15. Ridley
  16. Kirby
  17. Metaknight
  18. King Dedede
  19. Fox
  20. Falco
  21. Marth
  22. Ike
  23. Pikachu
  24. Mewtwo
  25. Pokemon Trainer
  26. Victini
  27. Captain Falcon
  28. Ness
  29. Pit
  30. Olimar
  31. Little Mac
  32. Isaac
  33. Ray
  34. Starfy
  35. Ice Cimbers
  36. R.O.B.
  37. Mr. Game & Watch
  38. Takamaru
[/COLLAPSE]
  • Remove Toon Link, Wolf, Lucas, Snake, Sonic, Lucario, and Jigglypuff. We can get by with one Link. Star Fox and Mother don't need three or two reps respectively. Snake and Sonic are third-party characters. Lucario goes for a new generation rep. Jigglypuff just isn't as popular or important to Pokemon anymore.
  • That leaves us with 28 characters from Brawl. Now, add Toad, King K. Rool, Ridley, Victini, Mewtwo, Isaac, Little Mac, Ray, Starfy, and Takamaru.. Toad is IMO, more deserving for the Mario spot than Bowser Jr., and since I got rid of Toon Link, I'm not allowing alternate versions of characters, so Paper Mario doesn't get in. Donkey Kong is definitely important enough to get another rep, and King K. Rool is popular. Metroid would need another rep, as it does now. Victini representes the newest generation. Mewtwo would be a better Pokemon rep than Jigglypuff. Isaac, Little Mac, Ray, and Starfy brings new franchises to the table. Takamaru is the new retro character.

That's how I would personally handle a 38 slot roster.

@Omega:

I forgot to add that completing Bowser's Castle 2 unlocks you the Bowser's Castle stage for fighting. And in my design, Adventure Mode's Castle involves you exploring the inside, while normal Brawl Mode's Castle is located outside the castle, either right in front of it in the lava on chunks of volcanic rock or on the roof.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i've played it when i can, i have already mastered ZSS (to some degree)... i don't have to own it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Like the lucario project m video you posted. That didn't look like smash to me it was MvC with lucario. And I dont like that.
Melee wasn't even like that.

And no ^_^

Close minded aren't we? Even with the ideas I'd like to see, I could see them not being necessary with the way Project M is looking to be. Of course, that team is looking to be way more creative than Sakurai who thought it was a good idea to come up with everything in Brawl.

It looks awesome indeed, but I'd rather have Street Fighter as Street Fighter and Smash as Smash, simple as that!

@augustflores: You don't own Brawl? 0_o

Get it son!!

Prepare to be very disappointed, Augusto. I played the game for the first time in a while and I remembered why people hate on that game. Not to say I didn't have a bad time or anything, but it was just, IDK, boring in comparison to the other fighters I've played since then, and I'm saying this when Yun in super boring to play against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom