• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_fartn_Spartan

Smash Cadet
How is GameFaqs thinking about the Sheik vs Impa thing? I'm the one generally defending the dark, tall, skinny Sheikah in this one, but am wondering how much support I'd get on GameFaqs. Not that I'm thinking of going there mind you...

:phone:
People don't talk about it much from what I've seen. Right now the boards seem to have a lot of Mario rep talk, Ghirahim talk, and Pokemon. But there are some people considering Impa, with no one really arguing against it. It least that's what it seems from what I've seen.

D

Deleted member

I weighed myself; 325 lbs. at 6'3. Not good still, but better than before.. Lulz... I'd still give King Dedede a run for his money.

Anyways, I want to ask ya'll. Out of all the huge legendaries, who do you think would be a possible Character choice? Mine would be Arceus. I alrdy explained before. Also, argue Ridley.
N w/ Reshiram and Zekrom. Choose one before you battle. Can't switch.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, here I've encountered quite some opposition on it for me thinking that she very well could replace Sheik. And that I find it likely cause she has a better role, is infact re-occuring, and has better moveset potential than Sheik has. And unlike Ghirahim, and Sheik, she's quite likely to become staple to the Zelda series from now on. If we get Skyward Sword as our main squeze for Zelda inspiration, thus models based on it, Impa is all the more likely.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I hear in an upoming movie, reshiram will be the bad guy. Well, not so much bad, but controlled by the bad guy. It'll be bad for his rep, seeing as he wasn't originally as liked as Zekrom. :(

The thing is, I really like reshiram.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Reshiram is he white one with the male reproduction organ like tail right?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
THE Intelligent Defense for Flavor of the Month Theory
Written by the ViewtifulGene on GameFAQs

FLAVOR OF THE DAY: Snicker ****storm

Somewhere down the road, people thought they were smart for rejecting a rigorous scientific theory. Well, Smashboards, you were sadly mistaken. As much as you people may want Lucario and Ike to stay in this game, they won't. If this fact offends you, please read my entire argument before responding. I don't want this to turn into a shouting match. Below, I present to you the reasons why flavor of the month characters can't and shouldn't be in this game.

I. Marble Cake: A Black and White Pattern

There is compelling evidence that Sakurai has a habit of replacing unique Smash Brothers characters in favor of more current characters from their respective franchises. In Melee, Mewtwo and Roy were added, from Pokemon and Fire Emblem respectively. In Brawl, Sakurai explicitly designed Lucario and Ike as replacements for these characters. Note that Mewtwo and Roy never came back in Brawl, and for good reason. Inspection of the game disk shows no evidence at all that Sakurai ever wanted Ike, Roy, Mewtwo, and Lucario to coexist. There was a list of characters known as the "Forbidden Seven", which included characters we believe were planned for Brawl but were never finished. However, Mewtwo and Roy are nowhere on this list.

Furthermore, the latest developments in mathematics allow us to determine a pattern from one observation. Mewtwo and Roy were replaced from Melee to Brawl. Therefore, Sakurai will inevitably replace Lucario and Ike in Smash 4.

II. Clear Pepsi: A Transparently Outdated Flavor that Nobody Likes

For one, it is proper to remove flavor-of-the-month (FotM) characters because they are no longer time-relevant, and time relevance is a necessary condition for inclusion in SSB games. Sakurai only chooses characters that have been included in recent games, except for when he chooses on retro characters like Pit, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch, and R.O.B. Only recent characters can be in this game, except for when a character who isn't new gets in. This rule works 100% of the time, even when it doesn't work. Therefore, only characters who make prominent appearances in new games can be playable in Super Smash Brothers.

Some readers may point out that a character should stay in Smash even if they are no longer relevant simply because gamers liked using him or her. This is false. Many observers cite Jigglypuff as an example here, but it works against them. Yes, Jigglypuff's relevance has faded with each new SSB game, but she is also one of the original 12 SSB characters. It is unacceptable to cut anyone from the original 12, but it is proper to remove unique characters from Melee and Brawl, even if people liked them, because they are irrelevant, and relevance is law in SSB. It would not be fair to fans of the original 12 if their main characters were cut, but it is not only fair but commendable when Sakurai removes a unique character that people liked using in Melee or Brawl. Nobody liked Roy or Mewtwo anyway; those characters only had appeal because they were new, and all fans of those characters found Ike and Lucario to be adequate replacements. Lucario and Ike users are ready and willing to abandon their characters for Zoroark and Chrome, too. For them, that fateful day cannot come soon enough.

Mewtwo's declining relevance is an especially important case. GameFreak, the developer of Pokemon, has unveiled a recent event explicitly telling Pokemon trainers everywhere to forget about Mewtwo. Soon gamers will be able to download an event for their game cards where they kill Mewtwo with a new move designed specifically for that event, known as Psystrike. After killing Mewtwo with the move that was designed just to kill him, gamers then bury Mewtwo using his body as a shovel, and then defecate on his grave. After gamers complete this event, Pokemon trainers around the world will hold hands in a sign of solidarity. Gamers everywhere agree that it is only possible to like 1st generation or the new generations of Pokemon, and having buried Mewtwo, all are ready and willing to abandon the old forever and embrace whatever is most new.

The day Sakurai replaced your outdated character was the most important day of your life. But for him, it was Tuesday.

By far ViewtifulGene's best work. His satirical criticisms towards people for relying on relevancy as a reason to cut makes me glad he understands that cutting isn't as simple as a character being irrelevant.
I thought he was serious at first. Thanks for pointing out the satire. Was good.

D

Deleted member

I hear in an upoming movie, reshiram will be the bad guy. Well, not so much bad, but controlled by the bad guy. It'll be bad for his rep, seeing as he wasn't originally as liked as Zekrom. :(

The thing is, I really like reshiram.
There recently WAS a movie with Reshiram and Zekrom. Two versions. Swap the roles of the two depending on the movie. (One teaming with the antagonist, one teaming with Ash)

And what are you talking about? Reshiram is more popular than Zekrom in Japan.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lucario and Ike are give or take basically. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them gone actually. Same with Toon Link. Definitely for Sheik though. In my humble opinion of coarse.

D

Deleted member

a_fartn_Spartan said:
For some reason, I didn't see all of your post until I quoted it. And yeah, the GFaqs community can get...rediculous. FYI, I remembered you (and your easy-to-remember username), and when I made my account I said you had a part in it.
Nice to see that I had a part in you joining Smash World Forums. :)
a_fartn_Spartan said:
People don't talk about it much from what I've seen. Right now the boards seem to have a lot of Mario rep talk, Ghirahim talk, and Pokemon. But there are some people considering Impa, with no one really arguing against it. It least that's what it seems from what I've seen.
Not really Pokemon talk. Debates on Pokemon never get bad over there and the most "violent" one was a month ago, which was very tame. Basically, it's very tame over there (it can, however, get somewhat rowdy here when there is a Pokemon debate going on).

There was a LOT of Ghirahim talk around Skyward Sword releases. I seriously want to facepalm at everyone who think Ghirahim should replace Ganondorf. There also used to be a lot of Ghirahim talk over at Smashboards, but Diddy Kong's obsession with Impa has pretty much shut down discussion for Ghirahim.

Now Super Mario Bros, on the other hand, gets really ugly really quick. Remember the 185 post thread where jessiKamekazi posted his (very weak) defense of Waluigi? That was flame-war material and it is done when the initial hype is down. I do not look forward to ones that happen after Sakurai announces Smash 4 with a trailer.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh but my reasons go deeper than Sheik's irrelevancy in fact...
And yeah, I almost single handly got Ghirahim out of every ones mind. Which is not bad, as he's the new Midna anyway.

Mario debates get the most dangerous though, but am getting close with Impa. Nobody listens anyway any more though.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
There recently WAS a movie with Reshiram and Zekrom. Two versions. Swap the roles of the two depending on the movie. (One teaming with the antagonist, one teaming with Ash)

And what are you talking about? Reshiram is more popular than Zekrom in Japan.
With western audiences, White sold out where black still had heaps of copies. At least, this is what my friend told me. I trust him, mainly because he's a pokemaniac. I tend to be better at games than him, but he's got the knowledge that I don't :-P

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh now your talking Luco, which versions sold better out of every generation? I always pick Red ^^ except when Diamons happened to get into my poccesion. Palkia is pretty damn ugly.

D

Deleted member

There's more to it than just Zekrom/Reshiram you know.
White Forest is more popular than Black City. You can catch a CRAPTON of Pokemon in White Forest that you can only see in their final forms in Black City.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
With western audiences, White sold out where black still had heaps of copies. At least, this is what my friend told me. I trust him, mainly because he's a pokemaniac. I tend to be better at games than him, but he's got the knowledge that I don't :-P
Pretty much. It's the whole reason I got Black version, it's all they had in stock, that and I have a soft spot for the underdog.

I'm pretty sure Zekrom also scored pretty high even on the IGN poll (Top 10).

I still think a N's Castle stage would be nice to see.

vv Good... :p

D

Deleted member

I thought he was serious at first. Thanks for pointing out the satire. Was good.
I put it in spoilers so that the satirical aspects could be caught and not immediately ruined. But once you get that out of the way and look at what he conveys, it basically explains why I am so heavily anti-cut for any Nintendo Brawl vets.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I actually don't mind Palkia, but Dialga is pretty darn cool. My favourite pokemon has, is, and always will be, Charizard. As a young child I looked up to him. Ahhh, good ole days.

He also started off my OBSESSION with dragons. Another reason why I couldn't take skyrim for too long.

D

Deleted member

....And yet seem to try to make up excuses why the non-Nintendo ones should go. Or should I say excuses why they are more "likely" to be cut than the Nintendo ones.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
There's more to it than just Zekrom/Reshiram you know.
White Forest is more popular than Black City. You can catch a CRAPTON of Pokemon in White Forest that you can only see in their final forms in Black City.
Yeah, that could be a reason. But I wouldn't be surprised if the legendaries had something to do with it as well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wanna turn this black vs white in a Impa debate, but am not sure if it's the wisest choice... :smirk:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Oh, and i forgot, I'd obviously have Chancey running a medical center, and perhaps Pikachu helping with greetings. I'm not sure who i'd pick to help run an inn. Snorlax, maybe? the inn would be in the treetops, would have both inside and outside sections. It would have nice beds and hammocks, and the people would sleep alongside nests that house Pidgeys and Starias.

Diddy, please don't, we HAVE to get off that subject every once in a while, k? :D

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I bought both.

As for the characters, I'd still prefer Victini/Zoroark/Genesect. All three are very good solid choices.

Also, what Pieman said. Stop shoving it down our throats, please.

D

Deleted member

We can just turn the Impa debates into FAT Impa discussion if we need to.

Kantrip

Kantplay
This place has been plagued by some sort of debate between two characters, yet I don't even know who one of the characters is.

I think it should stop.

yani

Smash Lord
Oh, and i forgot, I'd obviously have Chancey running a medical center, and perhaps Pikachu helping with greetings. I'm not sure who i'd pick to help run an inn. Snorlax, maybe? the inn would be in the treetops, would have both inside and outside sections. It would have nice beds and hammocks, and the people would sleep alongside nests that house Pidgeys and Starias.
I think you'd need Meowth to help translate :awesome::laugh:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The restaurant area would have a kind of camp kitchen where the staff would work, and the dining area would be outside, on a raised platform made out of wood, where the riolu (there'd be 2, and in case confusion came up, one would be nicknamed "Rio", with the I sounding like a y, while the other would be "Lu") would casually walk around asking people what they'd want to order. There'd be umbrellas for rain, and candles for night-time dining.

And a meowth would be good, although for some reason everyone seems to be able to understand Pikachu. So perhaps he'd be helping Snorlax and Chancey.

Also, the 2 Lucario would also have nicknames, and would take turns directing the kitchen and helping out the kitchen staff. One would be nicknamed "Luca", the other "Rio", although to distinguish him from Riolu, "Rio would be pronounced like and e sound rather than a y sound.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Actually, I need to get something off my chest:

I detest the idea of Paper Mario being a playable entity in Sm4sh that is separate from Mario.

Wait, just a sec. I love Paper Mario. Sooo much. Paper Mario 64 is one of my favorite games ever.

But when I saw Dr. Mario in Melee, I barfed. I don't like the idea of "Adjective Character." With one exception: Toon/Young Link. It seems that Sakurai and I are of like minds on the whole two Links thing.

Now if there were an option to switch to Paper Mario (with a unique moveset, of course) from Mario's slot on the character select screen, I'd be game. Perhaps a "one or the other" deal. They would just have to handle it in a way that lets everyone know that Paper Mario and Mario are the same person. I always thought including a different character from the Paper series would help get the unique spinoff some playable love without muddying up the continuity.

And again, I know this is Smash Bros., so continuity and canon don't mean sh*t, but there's just something about the two Marios being separate that irks me.

*flinches* Please don't hit me.
Avid Paper Mario fan here: I salute this suggestion.

D

Deleted member

This place has been plagued by some sort of debate between two characters, yet I don't even know who one of the characters is.

I think it should stop.
That would be the Impa vs. Sheik debate. And yes, I wish Diddy Kong would stop bringing it up every ****ing day.

Onto another topic, in design, I'd much prefer Zekrom. Looks younger and more built for fight here.

Oh and welcome back N.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Edited the last post. I'd be going around, trying to make the land bloom more with flowers, lakes, forests, all types of biomes. I'd also welcome Legendaries, and I can easily imagine pokemon such as Dialga picking leaves off trees or some sort. As I said before, Mewtwo would be a great source of advice, and also, knowing his nature, would probably go around contemplating philosophy.

I'm also using the assumption Riolu and Lucario can talk.

Lapras would supervise swimming, and would serve to care for swimmers who get in danger. Knowing Lapras' telepathic ability, it would have no problem communicating with swimmers.

Lol, sorry for bombarding you with this daydream. I've thought it all out tho. It's just a neat little vision. There'd also be people supervising places. A young girl, probably someone like Dawn from Platinum, would serve as the inn keeper. She'd be a good relations person, see. You know, something like that.

And perhaps a nurse joy (lol, that would be funny) would supervise the medical center. :awesome:

Ok, enough brainstorming for now. What do you guys think of that?

I'll brb, gonna take a shower. :-P

Hey star!!!!!!!!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Neither of the sides is winning on Impa vs Sheik, and I kinda have a disadvantage of being the minority. And having my points overlooked. Ahh well, I haven't done so much as actually discussed it with you guys yet today, just introduced the idea to a new poster. How bad can that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom