• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
In lieu of Sheik vs. Impa, may I ask a question?

What's the general consensus about Animal Crossing getting a rep? I see it as really likely. The series is huge for Nintendo. A new game is coming up for the 3DS (and everyone seems to love the mobile versions more), and that'll generate some hype for the series. Also, I love the series, so that automatically makes it twenty times more likely. :troll:

Tom Nook is my pick, but I don't see many people here thinking AC will get someone playable. I think it would be a good "whimsy" series to be represented to balance out the more "heavy" series rep proposals (Saki, Shulk, Isaac, etc.)

D

Deleted member

*sighs*

There will be none. Or to be specific, the last hope for one is Mr. Resetti. But even then, I wouldn't hold my breath for one.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We been over this Diddy Kong, Big Momma Impa is widely more acceptable than that anorexic Sheik clone.
You want Fat Impa to be a Ganondorf clone :laugh:

Besides, Skinny Impa is not a clone if Sheik herself is gone.

And as said before, it's the play style, not the entire moveset that (skinny) Impa would take over from Sheik. But if they go lazy mode, they'll give her Sheik's moves with different Bs.

D

Deleted member

We need Fat Impa to have her own moveset.
She can toss COWS.

We don't yet have a character that can use livestock as a weapon.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'd rather be babbling on about my daydream and be embarrassed if someone said it was silly, rather than listen to an argument like this again ><

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why Toon Fat Impa if there is in fact already a true Toon Impa? ^^

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Would that really be something to call unique?

I can see Tom Nook in just because most people here don't want/think he'll be playable. That, and there have been some going-ons with other characters like Phoenix Wright that show they can still fight while still preserving their nature. I don't know why you guys seem to overlook that Sakurai can change his mind if he wants to.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
*sighs*

There will be none.
I was sure that this image would come up.

I think it doesn't mean sh*t.

The whole "X can't fight because he/she/it isn't fighty punchy awesome in his/her/its game" business is bullsh*t. Anyone who genuinely thinks that you can exclude the possibility of characters because they don't fit the "fighter" profile is misguided. I don't want to say stupid, but that's pretty much what I mean. Nintendogs shouldn't be included because they are literally puppies. It would be difficult to make them work in Smash. Animal Crossing characters, on the other hand, would not be difficult. If Sakurai honestly didn't include characters because they "couldn't fight," then I'd love to hear his explanation for Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Olimar (the only thing that qualifies him is his Pikmin). There's no way he'll keep up this hypocrisy much longer.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
,Is this really what our discussions have devolved to? Why don't you guys talk about Toad being one of Miyamoto's favorite creations, or something like it.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
@Luco

I don't think its silly. It is quite interesting to see the roles you gave each Pokemon. It would be great to see real Pokemon one day (perhaps science can achieve it in the future - anything is possible?). Of course, there is destruction that could come out of it (judging by Pokemon movies).

We need Fat Impa to have her own moveset.
She can toss COWS.

I was actually thinking along the same lines as well.

Perhaps a duo team of Fat Impa and Thin Impa like the Ice Climbers? That would be a clash. One can throw cows and the other can fight with more athletic skills. :awesome:

,Is this really what our discussions have devolved to? Why don't you guys talk about Toad being one of Miyamoto's favorite creations, or something like it.
Yes, that is a good fact to know. ;)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Take a step back and consider what I'm really saying PT. Guarantee you it is not what you think.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Of COURSE you have to be the hipster, Kuma.
How am I being a hipster?

@GiantBreadbug
The Nintendogs would be a problem just because animal rights organizations would, legitimately, throw a fit over being able to beat up an ordinary dog.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
,Is this really what our discussions have devolved to? Why don't you guys talk about Toad being one of Miyamoto's favorite creations, or something like that.
To be really frank, Miyamoto really liked Skyward Sword actually.

And I thought of this before but, Impa and Toad are in the same boat basically. Both have had many supporting appearances, are decently well known and important to their series but both stand in the way of getting good support and are often criticized cause people say they get in the way of existing character's their B moves.

Which Toad supporters say is bull ****.

I, as a Impa supporter say the same.

yani

Smash Lord
Since Impa's role is different in each game, this should be reflected in Smash. There should be 3 forms of Impa to play as (Fat Impa,Toon Fat Impa, Zero Doctor Suit Dry Wa Impa)

:phone:

D

Deleted member

I was sure that this image would come up.

I think it doesn't mean sh*t.

The whole "X can't fight because he/she/it isn't fighty punchy awesome in his/her/its game" business is bullsh*t. Anyone who genuinely thinks that you can exclude the possibility of characters because they don't fit the "fighter" profile is misguided. I don't want to say stupid, but that's pretty much what I mean. Nintendogs shouldn't be included because they are literally puppies. It would be difficult to make them work in Smash. Animal Crossing characters, on the other hand, would not be difficult. If Sakurai honestly didn't include characters because they "couldn't fight," then I'd love to hear his explanation for Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Olimar (the only thing that qualifies him is his Pikmin). There's no way he'll keep up this hypocrisy much longer.
Ice Climbers ****ing club seals.
Game & Watch killed moles with hammers.
R.O.B. is a robot.
Pikmin is about SURVIVAL. In survival, you have to fight. In Olimar's case, he leads an army of plant creatures. What does he do in Brawl? Lead a (much smaller) army of plant creatures.
What do the Crossers do that can constitute true violence? Lay hole traps for pranks (Already an item), catch people in bug nets (OOOH. Real violent!), and if you hack to try to hit someone with an axe, it bounces off the "victim's" head like it was rubber.
You desperately want to fight for a AC character, fight for Resetti. He's your only hope.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No love for Doctor Captain Zero Suit Toon Skinny Impa Trainer Kong??? :(

No problem, we got Doctor Captain Zero Suit Toon Skinny Impa Trainer Kong the Hedgehog anyway :awesome:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's not that he CAN'T fight, Breadbug. It's that he SHOULDN'T.
That's a subjective statement. As I've mentioned several times, there's an easy loophole around the whole fighting thing: fighting by not fighting. It's like those cartoon characters that end up accidentally wreaking a place and inadvertently taking out the bad guys.

D

Deleted member

@Kuma: By saying you can see Tom Nook because others can't. THAT'S being a hipster.

And the term you're looking for is "Fighting Clown".
Apparently the general consensus is that Wario is enough.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Howso?

And here's an extra sentence because apparently my posts have to be ten characters long. Sheesh.
Sakurai apparently once had an idea for a moveset for the Villager even, so it's not that he thinks they can't fight. He figured Animal Crossing, as a series, is very peaceful in nature and so to have the Villager fighting would go against what he is about as a character. It's not like Sakurai didn't THINK about his decision, and it's not like he has any reason to change his mind, as Animal Crossing remains a peaceful, relaxing series of games. People might say "Well Captain Falcon doesn't fight either!" but as a BOUNTY HUNTER and HIGH-STAKES RACER, fighting is very much within his nature.

And people expecting Tom Nook are silly because that's not even the character Sakurai considered to represent Animal Crossing.

@Kuma: Sakurai is a subjective being, and he is the one in charge. So, tough. :troll:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Kuma: By saying you can see Tom Nook because others can't. THAT'S being a hipster.

And the term you're looking for is "Fighting Clown".
Apparently the general consensus is that Wario is enough.
That's called rooting for the underdog, not being a hipster.

What general consensus?

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Ice Climbers ****ing club seals.
Game & Watch killed moles with hammers.
R.O.B. is a robot.
Pikmin is about SURVIVAL. In survival, you have to fight. In Olimar's case, he leads an army of plant creatures. What does he do in Brawl? Lead a (much smaller) army of plant creatures.
What do the Crossers do that can constitute true violence? Lay hole traps for pranks (Already an item), catch people in bug nets (OOOH. Real violent!), and if you hack to try to hit someone with an axe, it bounces off the "victim's" head like it was rubber.
You desperately want to fight for a AC character, fight for Resetti. He's your only hope.
The Ice Climbers point is the only semi-valid one.
And how many of G&W's moves involve hammers? 2?
R.O.B. is a robot. This is a fact. It doesn't reinforce the idea that he can "fight."
By that logic, Pikmin themselves should be playable, not Olimar. He doesn't commit "violence," the Pikmin do.

Smash Bros. is first a celebration of Nintendo, then it's a fighting game. You can't say a character has no chance because they can't fight.

And I don't desperately want an AC character. I think it would be nice. I take more issue with the fact that some consider good "fighters" somehow more fit for Smash than others.

@Oasis I agree that isn't within the nature of AC characters to fight, but the same is true for G&W, R.O.B., Ice Climbers, etc. But I will reiterate that Smash isn't just a fighting game. It's a mix tape of Nintendo games. Sakurai has said so himself plenty of times, so he shares the idea that Smash content is based on its importance to Nintendo, not a "fighting" nature.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
How am I being a hipster?

@GiantBreadbug
The Nintendogs would be a problem just because animal rights organizations would, legitimately, throw a fit over being able to beat up an ordinary dog.
Which is why the Duck Hunt Dog is perfect for Smash. He's not an ordinary dog. He's a cartoon dog that can stand on two legs and hold ducks with his paws... a bipedal dog with opposable thumbs!!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Which is why the Duck Hunt Dog is perfect for Smash. He's not an ordinary dog. He's a cartoon dog that can stand on two legs and hold ducks with his paws... a bipedal dog with opposable thumbs!!

But he doesn't fight and there are apparently enough comedic fighters in the game, so no.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I say Tom Nook over Resetti as well. Tom Nook has much more of a role. And if we want moles, Muddy is the choice of kings and gentlemen.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
@Luco

No problem. ;) I guess it is true that it would probably would though we did have some other much more off-topic discussions going on very recently as well (I'm pretty sure you know which ones).

@Star

I'd have to go with SSBF on this one. Was that the message you were trying to get around or was it more (can't seem to get my head on it for some reason)?

plokoon9619

Smash Cadet
So I need some help, anyone wanna help me create a Fat Impa moveset, I think this idea has some great potential over what Diddy Kong keeps suggesting for a skinny Impa.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I think he was just using that as an example. He's basically saying that even that discussion would be better than such and such conversations we have now.

Of course, I could be wrong?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
But he doesn't fight and there are apparently enough comedic fighters in the game, so no.
He is a hunting dog. A dog that hunts ducks.. and if we extend this to Smash, then a dog that hunts Nintendo characters in the story mode. And you can't use the "but he doesn't fight" excuse against the dog... we got R.O.B., your argument is invalid. You are also suggesting Tom Nook when he doesn't even fight... can't have it both ways.

D

Deleted member

@Kuma: The consensus here. I teased the idea of Groose being a Fighting Clown, and everybody said Wario was the one to fit the category.

@Breadbug: You're right. I can't. But Sakurai can. He is the one who decides who fights and who doesn't. As Oasis said, Sakurai decided that it wouldn't make sense for one to fight due to the nature of Animal Crossing as a whole.
And who are you to decide that Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, and R.O.B. shouldn't fight? Sounds to me you are being the hypocrite.

A celebration of Nintendo is more than characters. It's stages. It's music. It's trophies. While some series aren't suited for a character (like Animal Crossing), it gets it's representation elsewhere, like how AC got a stage, Assist Trophy, music line, trophy set, sticker line, etc. It got it's due.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Oasis I agree that isn't within the nature of AC characters to fight, but the same is true for G&W, R.O.B., Ice Climbers, etc. But I will reiterate that Smash isn't just a fighting game. It's a mix tape of Nintendo games. Sakurai has said so himself plenty of times, so he shares the idea that Smash content is based on its importance to Nintendo, not a "fighting" nature.
First off it's not really true for those characters, and second I'm only saying what Sakurai has said, and I think it'd be wise to build one's expectations off the hints the man gives himself. I mean, I'd love to play as the Villager, especially when Kuma goes on about Tom Nook and I have to sit here with my arms crossing, shaking my head saying "NOPE. THAT'S A STUPID IDEA VILLAGER IS MUCH BETTER." BUUUT. If Sakurai shoots it down, then it really just can't be helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom