• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Funky did return in both the PAON adventure games though, and he did have a more modernised redesign. As well as Candy. But maybe it's too early for them to use them? I actually hope PAON will help Retro Studios for Returns 2. They returned just about any aspect of DKC, or at least the very most important ones.

Zelda, I feel is staple as a transforming character in Smash. Therefore I feel the newer Impa could take her place, as she is the first legitimate optional replacement for Sheik, and I doubt she'd be as badly recieved as everyone here says. The only people who I respect in this manner are the ones who say ; I just don't want any cuts period. Sheik is easily the least deserving character in Smash at this point.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Diddy Kong?

Pieman0920's possible new rival?

Either way, I'm enjoying this. Carry on.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No dude I'm gonna go to bed. If you only knew what time it is here...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Funky did return in both the PAON adventure games though, and he did have a more modernised redesign. As well as Candy. But maybe it's too early for them to use them? I actually hope PAON will help Retro Studios for Returns 2. They returned just about any aspect of DKC, or at least the very most important ones.
DKC Returns was definitely better than Jungle Climber. I dunno, I think some aspects of Jungle Climbers and classic DKC (maybe even DK64 and Donkey Kong 1-3) should be brought in. Bring back elements of the past, but don't live in the past.
No dude I'm gonna go to bed. If you only knew what time it is here...
Like 4 or 5 in the morning. I thought you just woke up real early. That's why I'm usually posting most of the time it is late here... >.>

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No I'm still up cause I got a ****ed sleeping pattern. ^^ I liked Climber less than Returns to actually, but feel Climber did a better job at reviving the feel. It was more of a pleasant surprise after its absence for so long.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No I'm still up cause I got a ****ed sleeping pattern. ^^
Grapes fixes all. That is all that needs to be said.
I liked Climber less than Returns actually, but feel Climber did a better job at reviving the feel. It was more of a pleasant surprise after its absence for so long.
I think Returns was more a "turning the page" kinda game. I think a lot of the lack of old characters, locations, themes, etc was done so that Returns wouldn't be compared too much to the first three DKC games, and so Retro Studios could see what new things they could bring to the game (which is what Jungle Climber failed to do; it was too retro). Of course, when you include Donkey Kong Country in the title, there are automatically comparisons.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oh wow, that's beautiful.

Also, has anyone made the point yet that the Villager was planned, yet is not part of the Forbidden 7.

I really hate the Forbidden 7.

Do we even know what "fighter effects" means? M&S_Guy? Anybody?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Also, has anyone made the point yet that the Villager was planned, yet is not part of the Forbidden 7.

I just kinda hate the idea of Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik (the later was almost definitely planned to be Tetra). Plusle and Minun seems like an interesting concept, Dixie Kong would be awesome (but without Diddy Kong, because together they would be broken to the max!), and Roy and Mewtwo need to be moderately redone if they return.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Completed Hero Mode, the ending still makes me full of sads. But still, Impa remains deserving... YOU BETTER RETURN IN ZELDA WII U YOU HEAR? :( And Smash of coarse... ^^

Also, grapes? Really?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Why would Toon Sheik be Tetra? Wind Waker comes out, it's a big deal, and one expects Sakurai to not even hear about a major character like Tetra? Not even going to get her name right?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
No, what Sakurai said in regards to the Animal Crosser is that it was considered. He was never actually implemented as a character. It was probably before he even started development that he dropped Animal Crosser (likely discussing the matter with AC's development team before coming to the conclusion that the series is a pacifist one and a fighter would not be suitable).

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well Star keeps mentioning that he had a whole moveset planned and everything, but I guess it's clear you don't have to actually implement a character to have a moveset only "planned."

D

Deleted member

Do we even know what "fighter effects" means? M&S_Guy? Anybody?
Do people not ****ing LISTEN?!? That "article" about it was from another magazine, not Famitsu, and it had NOTHING to do with Smash. Someone faked the translation.

Sakurai said HIMSELF that characters like the Animal Crosser would not be playable if it didn't make sense for them to fight!

If anyone else brings up the bull**** article about an Animal Crosser planned for Brawl, so help me, God.....

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well Star keeps mentioning that he had a whole moveset planned and everything, but I guess it's clear you don't have to actually implement a character to have a moveset only "planned."
Now why would someone who didn't even make it into development have a moveset, but not Dixie Kong? Hmm.

Not very gold of you, Ponyboy.
I thought that was me?

And that a... Toy Story reference?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Do people not ****ing LISTEN?!? That "article" about it was from another magazine, not Famitsu, and it had NOTHING to do with Smash. Someone faked the translation.

Sakurai said HIMSELF that characters like the Animal Crosser would not be playable if it didn't make sense for them to fight!

If anyone else brings up the bull**** article about an Animal Crosser planned for Brawl, so help me, God.....
I like how you criticize people for not listening, and yet people told you it had been confirmed.

Not very gold of you, Ponyboy.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Why would Toon Sheik be Tetra? Wind Waker comes out, it's a big deal, and one expects Sakurai to not even hear about a major character like Tetra? Not even going to get her name right?
lol

"Damn... what was her name?... Aw **** it. TOON SHEIK"

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Also, grapes? Really?
Grapes make you sleepy, and they also can stop headaches and migraines.
I think that Toon Sheik and Toon Zelda were only developed for a while (given their small amount of data), and thus the Sheik/Tetra concept died there. I think that initially the Brawl development team may have thought about adding Tetra and Toon Zelda (possibly late if they had "time left"), but in the end decided against it.

@ Oasis
Sakurai was talking about how hard he worked. Sakurai worked without a single day off (including holidays and weekends) for 12 or more hours a day on Melee for over 13 months. That's way too much work for one human being if you ask me. To quote the article you left us:
Masahiro Sakurai said:
"I was living a really destructive lifestyle -- I'd work for over 40 hours in a row, then go back home to sleep for four."
Masahiro Sakurai said:
"I seriously felt like a man on a mission... With the original [Nintendo 64] Smash Bros., there was no guarantee the game would be well-received at all -- I had my hands full just trying to make it into the completely new sort of fighting game I had in mind. With Melee, though, the previous game did well enough that Nintendo and the character designers knew what I wanted in advance. And I wanted a lot. It was the biggest project I had ever led up to that point -- the first game of mine on disc-based media, the first that used an orchestra for music, the first with 'real' polygon graphics. My staff was raring to go, and we plunged in full-tilt from the start. I pushed myself beyond any limit I could think of because I doubted I'd ever have this sheer amount of work in my hands ever again."
Sakurai then states:
Masahiro Sakurai said:
Melee is the sharpest game in the series," he wrote. "It's pretty speedy all around and asks a lot of your coordination skills. Fans of the first Smash Bros. got into it quickly, and it just felt really good to play."

D

Deleted member

Show me where the flying **** it has been confirmed.

And I swear, if it's that damn article again....

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Directly taken from the DOJO:
When you head to the results screen after a match between Fox and Falco or Fox and Wolf, the winning character will utter a special winning phrase.

Every once in a while Pit will utter "I’m done for..." as his death cry.

On the results screen for brawl matches, the winning player can select the pose their character takes on screen by using the four directions on the +Control Pad. Start pressing the button for your preferred pose once the match has ended but before the game moves to the results screen.

The Coin Launcher is set up so that there is a low probability of trophies appearing that you haven’t yet collected. By defeating little groups of enemies you raise the likelihood of new uncollected trophies appearing. Therefore, trying to be sneaky and bailing out without trying to shoot down missiles or enemies will only end up hurting your chances of completing your collection.

When playing a game demo from the Masterpieces area, press the HOME Button to view an Operations Guide for that game. The time you spend reading won’t count toward your demo time limit, so take your time.

I didn't know ANY of this. :fuuu:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
He was also talking about how Melee was a mistake. BD
No, he said it wasn't as accessible to newer gamers as the rest of the series. That is his one mistake. He admits right there in those quotes that it was smoother, better, and overall the most crisp game in the series. It is just Melee is too dang complex for the simple average gamer to comprehend, which is okay I guess. Aas long as future smash bros games have competitive depth. Sakurai has left us hidden advance techniques and little hidden things that make each game competitive.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Brawl's greatest achievement: Making Toon Link boss. Seriously, he is way more fun to play as than I could have ever hoped for.
Brawl's worst achievement: Making competitive smash bros painful to watch too often.

Also, some people on the Melee Boards are getting closer and closer to making a Melee ISO to run smoothly on the PC via the Game Cube emulator "Dolphin," which is awesome. If that comes out, I totally gotta get a USB to Gamecube controller cord, and own y'all! ;)

yani

Smash Lord
I knew about the Fox/Falco. Falco's one of my mains. When he beats Fox he says "You're off ya game Fox" :awesome:

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Completed Hero Mode, the ending still makes me full of sads. But still, Impa remains deserving... YOU BETTER RETURN IN ZELDA WII U YOU HEAR? :( And Smash of coarse... ^^
You do know that Impa is a recurring character, right? Right? I mean I think there have been at least four versions of her.

Actually, the fact that Impa constantly changes is probably one of the bigger strikes against her. Impa from Zelda 1 or Impa from the Oracles games couldn't possibly pull of Sheik's moveset.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sharp can also refer to it being fast.
Yes, but what he said was right. Melee is the smash game most people played first because their friends fell in love with first. I know just as many "casual" smashers who play Melee fairly often as "casual" smashers who play Brawl. Actually most of the "casual" smashers who I know tend to liken to Melee more. It was the easiest smash bros game for myself to get into (no, REALLY INTO IT!), and it is the main reason I keep coming back here. I am hoping for at least one of these two smash bros games to be the next Melee. Not exactly like Melee; actually totally different. But up to the caliber of greatness that Melee achieved!

Red(SP)

Smash Journeyman
No, he said it wasn't as accessible to newer gamers as the rest of the series. That is his one mistake. He admits right there in those quotes that it was smoother, better, and overall the most crisp game in the series. It is just Melee is too dang complex for the simple average gamer to comprehend, which is okay I guess. Aas long as future smash bros games have competitive depth. Sakurai has left us hidden advance techniques and little hidden things that make each game competitive.
Well if the learning curve was indeed that difficult for the average gamer, perhaps he could take a look a P:M.

The learning curve for that game isn't too hard to grasp. I've been mentoring someone for about a month and half and he's been doing fine understanding advanced techniques and performing them. He could probably make the learning curve slightly more difficult than Brawl, but not as fast as Melee. Whatever he can possibly do to get some "real" weight classes in there, I'll be fine. I just want the game to have more control over what you're doing. That's just something I couldn't stand in Brawl; never knowing when the **** you were going to trip.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You do know that Impa is a recurring character, right? Right? I mean I think there have been at least four versions of her.

Actually, the fact that Impa constantly changes is probably one of the bigger strikes against her. Impa from Zelda 1 or Impa from the Oracles games couldn't possibly pull of Sheik's moveset.
That's right, but with her latest appearance she would add to Sheik's moveset. :smirk:
PROTECTOR OF THE TRIFORCE AND MASTER SWORD OF THE ANCIENT PAST BABY! Most hardcore underrated role in Zelda ever? Most hardcore underrated role in Zelda ever!
That she's old doesn't mean she's less worthy either. Her young appearance makes up for it, and that's 2 against 2 now.
Well actually 3 against 2 as she's also an old woman in SS, and how... Anyyways, she could use the Time Gate, or the Triforce to keep her with her young appearance in Smash.
Makes more sence than Zelda's travel through space and time with her Down B in Brawl.

She could, if they had to add in some Ocarina of Time Deku Nutting if they must. We all know Sheik totally ripped Impa off from doing that. :glare:

D

Deleted member

I still not have recieved this supposed "confirmation" about Animal Crosser being planned with a moveset.

Or is the only source the supposed Famitsu magazine article that was confirmed to be FALSE?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Animal Crossing villager has been disregarded by Sakurai, but you know that. It was probably just a mention, or a suggestion to put him in, nothing more. Proffessor Layton had the same thing happening recently, doesn't make me believe he'll actually make it.

Anyone wanna speculate whether we see Impa or Sheik in the next Zelda titles, or Ganondorf or Toon Link? It's kinda important to the Zelda roster I guess.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Are you going on about that one article talking about Smashville, how it would supposedly change with the seasons and how "eventually it led to us making a whole character!"

It was like, from some French radio interview with Sakurai or something stupid like that?

Because I don't think that's what's being referred to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom