• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Wah wah wah, no one replied to the 64 one of these. Oh well, I'mmah finish what I started, even if I don't go on to the other stuff beyond the intros.

Anyways, Super Smash Bros Melee Into:

I was a bit harsh on this earlier in the topic, but its still not a bad intro by any means. It really did live up to the hype back in the day.

It starts off with the same Nintendo and HAL logo I think HAL'S logo is smaller than it was in 64 and for a brief second we see Mario as a trophy as he's being picked up by a kid's hand. The kid just flings Mario into the sky and tosses him into what appears to be a Roman Colosseum. The trophy begins to glow and we cut to the text "Nintendo's All Stars in" and the glow goes up the trophy and eventually turns Mario into a real boy.

Mario immediately gets into a fighting position as the camera swerves to show Link presumably coming out of the same predicament The logo flashes, and then Link and Mario charge at each other with Pikachu and Kirby just jumping out of nowhere at the sides. Again, I guess this was sort of referenced in SSE when Mario and Kirby are initially fighting, though the Colosseum isn't used there and is instead a modern stadium. Also its weird that the kid, or the fact that all the characters are trophies isn't really emphasized more, and only shows up once more in the intro. Its sort of like a call back to 64's intro I guess though

Anyways, the screen dissolves, and we get the start of our introductions to the characters in what is essentially their settings. In 64 this happened afterwards, but Melee just jumps right into it. Brawl follows Melee's examples to a degree, but uses SSE footage. Anyways, this runs through Peach, Mario, Bowser, and DK at first, oddly enough giving Mario the least focus. We then get to the often-referenced-due-to-size-debates scene of Samus and Ridley fighting. Sadly this fight (and location) are not actually in the game. Also, Samus uses a rapid fire shot attack that she doesn't really have!. We then get to Link who is shown over a montage of Ocarina of Time screens while making random poses. This part is actually a lot like Mario's part of the intro, but I guess they got their better emphasis earlier on. It closes of course to Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf putting their triforces together giving us one of our only hints towards the secret characters. After this we have a wild stampede of Yoshi with our main one getting the focus for a brief second. This is always interesting to me, since not only does this sort of thing not really happen in Melee, at least to the levels shown in the intro, but nothing like this ever happens in a Yoshi game. Instead the stampede seems to be a reference to Super Mario Adventures where this type of thing happens

Did Sakurai read this? Friendly Floyd confirmed for Smash 4!

Anyways, we then have Popo jumping around Icicle Mountain and then Nana helping him out. The intro then goes over to several images from in game, with even a brief showing of All-Star Mode's rest area, before ending with flash in Mario's eyes. Weird. We then have Sheik playing on a harp in front of what I assume is Lake Hylia, while Zelda's floating head mimics Shiek's as she looks up into the stars. There we have Kirby just screw around on his warp star before cutting into deeper space where the Great Fox and team Star Fox confront Star Wolf. Here we get a brief glimpse of Fox and Wolf staring each other down and a very rare render of Wolf prior to Star Fox Assault. We then have Ness warping into Onett, Pokemon roaring around with Pikachu and Pichu, with Jiggs just getting in the camera's way, thus making two more hints. And to round it up we get Captain Falcon racing Samurai Goroh to his explosion filled death.

At this point we have a warping image of all the characters preforming actions, which leads to several random events taking place. First is Bowser's trophy getting hit by lightning and presumably turning into Giga Bowser. Mario, Peach, and Yoshi are all present for this. Then its Link playing his Ocarina while Zelda and Shiek play harps at the same time, DK gets hit by what looks like a Shadow Ball, Ness watches as the ICs high five, Pika and Kirby race, and then the Great Fox, Blue Falcon, and Samus's gunship race through Corneria, right before everything gets blown up (and we see those darn trophies again). Thus we get to our title screen. Oddly, the four trophies that get kicked up in the explosion are in fact not Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu from the intro, but rather Mario, Kirby, Bowsr and Ness

Now this title screen is a bit different than before, since it originally starts off in a bank of clouds before transitioning into this techno/futuristic look. Like I mentioned before, Melee seemed to overall go for a much sleeker look that emphasized its uh...virtualness. I think a lot of games actually went for that type of style back in the early 2000s though.

Anyways, the whole of the intro goes a lot of different places and has a much more "epic" feel to it overall. It has orchestrated music (With some vocals in there, though no Latin Chanting) and it uses a lot of images that are not actually found in the game. Overall though when compared to Brawl's it sort of acts like a reflection of the Adventure mode, with Brawl's intro being focused on SSE, and Melee's being mainly focused on locals from the Adventure mode. Most of the backgrounds that have any detail in them are either based around stages that are in the game, or are in the Adventure mode, with the other backgrounds being fairly nondescript. (Yoshi is just in some wasteland, you barely see DK's jungle, and Kirby/Fox are just in space). Still you have Lake Hylia and that one research station from Metroid showing up in the intro and only the intro. Still the intro is sort of all over the places, and when you compare it to the intro that comes before and after it, it really does seem like a transition. Brawl is all about its story mode and cutscenes and epic music and what not, while 64's has a lot to do with characters in their own native games and just flying around randomly if not. Melee has both of those qualities, so maybe that's why people seem to like it the most.

When considering what Smash 4's intro should take from Melee's, I guess most people would want the emphasis of character's doing stuff from their own games. I guess this may be a good way to go, but I'd personally prefer more interaction, like what essentially happens at the end of the end of Melee's intro. More mixing of the franchises, though I'm guessing that Smash 4 will still follow the style of giving each of the starting characters some screen time before getting into that. Hopefully they'll try to put a bit more effort into the concept of it being a kid setting up these fights, since Melee glossed over it, and Brawl ignored it, though maybe that's just me.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
That being said, we could have some news or at least something by next year February if it toom one year to come up with actually... Quite a lot for Kid Icarus. How long was Brawl in development when we got that trailer?
:phone:
Brawl started development in October 2005 and was revealed in May 2006, so seven months.

Development on Smash 4 will probably begin some time in February, so that only gives them four months at most of development before E3 2012.

Considering Sakurai is making this game for two platformers, E3 2013 is the most likely time.

Remember Sakurai has urged us to be patient and said that it could be a long wait, but that it would be worth it in the end.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Romance didn't stop Mario for attempting to beat the crap out of Peach in Melee and Brawl.

Also, 7 months is quote good to be able to come up with so much content they showed us with that Brawl trailer.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Do you mind elaborating on this?
Mario is a worse character in both Melee and Brawl than Peach. :)

Also, I want Samus to be able to shoot rapidly as in the Melee trailer as well. Samus could really use some sort of revamp that makes her attacks from Metroid more useful. Screw Attack especially. Am kind of fed up with it being so sucky in Smash while it's so strong in Metroid.

Color Man EXE

Smash Rookie
I've got an idea.

Partner Swap

In the SSB4 character select screen, you select a character that has a partner. Then, when the "Swap Partner" button appears after you select a character that has a partner, select the "Swap Partner" button and you will now play as a partner. You can select the "Swap Partner" button again to switch back to the original character. Example, you select Ice Climbers, then select the "Swap Partner" button to play as a partner. Select the "Swap Partner" button again to switch back to the original character. What are your thoughts? Simple as that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh... I thought it was something a bit more complex behind your statement. Sakurai must really overlook Mario.
I wish. Could bring up that Family Guy scene though? :awesome:

Mario has quite some reasons to want to beat up Peach actually.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No I hope the Master Hand 'mystery' will stay forever with Smash.

Pichu Fan

Smash Journeyman
I hope that the new story mode will explain the reason of master hand and crazy hands existent, and give the release date of ssb5.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I hope that the new story mode will explain the reason of master hand and crazy hands existent, and give the release date of ssb5.
Well the release date thing will NEVER happen, and iirc, Master and Crazy Hand's reason of existence is in, like, EVERY Smash Bros.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Can we discuss Sheik vs Impa again? Why are my best points always ignored? :(

Master Hand excists to have a boss character exclusive to any game franchise. Except for Kirby.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Diddy: No thanks Diddy, that debate has rolled on and on... I at wouldn't mind Impa over Sheik, because Sheik's now quite boring Ice Climbers-important-character to me...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ice Climbers are retro revivals, thus more important than Sheik for being brought up to life after so long. I'd be cool with all if Sheik ACTUALLY was in TP. That'd be at least 2 appearancesm which would warrant her return some day. I'd probably still support her for Smash 4 if she was in TP, but she wasn't. And because of that, and Impa being the Sheikah of choice in SS, I think they'll want to use her from noe on as a staple character to the series.

Fire Emblem would be good to discuss to. But it'll turn into Roy vs Chrome anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom