• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pichu Fan

Smash Journeyman
Who thinks thar there should be a playable character to represent the smash series itself, you know, a character exclusive to smash. (not master hand and crazy) Primid? He has some uniqueness, but I doubt it.

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I keep saying that if Impa does somehow get in, it will primarily be so that Sakurai has an easy way of matching Zelda with Mario and Pokemon in terms of slots.
Doesn't even has to be the case if Toon Link does not return. Though unlikely, if there is no child version of Link in Zelda 3DS (assuming they keep the adult Link we saw in the demo for Wii U) he could very well get cut to. And I doubt we'll see Young Link unless we get Majora's Mask 3D, and quickly.

Besides, Mario could end up having 6 characters. There are quite some possibilities for Mario characters, Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario... Heck even Dr.Mario and Waluigi if they must. All have at least some decent support.

Pokemon will probably have more characters than ever anyway. Pikachu will stay, Pokemon Trainer to in some form (hopefully with the same characters), Jiggz is a real actual classic, Mewtwo will get demanded back in, Lucario was received well and is different enough from Mewtwo, and there's a lot of support for Zoroark and Victini.

So Zelda will still be smaller, even with a separate Impa and Toon Link staying. It'd be good for them to have a separate Impa, so the series still stays bigger than StarFox with Krystal and Donkey Kong with Dixie and K.Rool, which was always the case ever since Melee.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I know we've stopped debating this, but I still want to try something out. For a while now I've wanted to dissect each Smash and see what is best to go with for Smash 4. Thus since I was already talking about Intros, I feel like I want to go through that. Anyways, stating off is Smash 64.

Smash 64: Alright, the first thing we start off here is the Nintendo and HAL logo, and the screen eventually pans out to reveal the room of a kid and the Master Hand coming in and picking a random character toy and putting him on his desk. The Hand then goes around arranging these into a mock stage and puts another challenger in there. Counts down 1, 2, and 3, and then the Mario doll comes to life, and the desk become the Mushroom Kingdom stage. At this point I'd like to say that it'd be interesting to have a stage that works like this. You know, the Hand would come in and arrange random blown up items and making the background change into whatever. It'd work sort of like Pokemon Stadium. I guess the main desk would always stay there though. Also, I wonder if Sakurai will ever go back to the idea of toys rather than trophies.

It might work.

Anyways, the screen then flashes around with art of each of the starting characters, proceeding to have each of the characters fill up the screen with their name while they preform an action. They all then start racing around for some reason. Link jumps up in the air once, and gets sucked off into the abyss. How sad. Then an explosion! At this point we have 4 of the main characters preforming actions that would seem relevant to their games of origin. Link plays an oracina on a nondescript hill side. Random guy walks by as Pikachu trys to have his way with a pokeball. Then there's a break in this for DK and Samus to fight with actual footage from the game. We then cut to Yoshi in a nest with other Yoshi presumably hatching from the eggs, and then Fox just sitting there in the Great Fox.

Hah, Cornelia

This leads into the end of the intro with Mario and Kirby staring each other down and getting ready to fight. They jump up into the air and clash. Pika and Link then clash, followed by Samus and Fox, and then DK and Yoshi. For a brief second, the outlines of the four secret characters jump out. Then we get the Smash logo carved out and go to the flaming title screen.

A few things I'd like to note here again. One is that its kind of a nice call back in SSE where Mario and Kirby are fighting each other in the stadium. That place is a lot more happy and bright at first than the place they were fighting each other in Smash 64, but then it became dark and cloud I suppose. I'd also like to point out the logo in Smash 64 here. Its much more cardboard like than Melee and Brawl's logo. Kind of like what a kid would make. As far as I can tell though, this is only like that for the western versions. The original Japanese one was regular black lettering, and the official logos for 64 had the black lettering with fire effects. This is eventually what the Smash's title lettering became afterwards, with the fire in the background.Brawl's logo seems to carry on this fire theme a bit as well. The X in the Japanese logo is really on fire, and Brawl has a much more wild look to it with a flaming mark under it. In comparison, the Melee in Melee is actually not on fire. The DX in the Japanese version is also not on fire. Melee's logo seemed to have a more sleek look that was probably supposed to compliment the new technology that was using it. I don't really have much of an opinion on what Smash 4's should look like, but it probably will have fire in there, if not the subtitle, then the "Super Smash Bros" lettering

Anyways, a few general comments about this. First off, unlike the other two games, there is no "epic" music for this intro or flash cutscenes either. This is Smash's humble origins, with a relatively low budget Still its music certainly does have a fairly uplifting feel to it, and while using in game assets, the intro does seem to have cutscene-like images out there. The backgrounds are mostly recycled from actual stages, like the Yoshi, Fox, and a bit of the Pikachu parts of the intro. I guess this means the only things created for it was a bit of Saffron city, that weird hill that Link's on, the stormy area Mario and Kirby stare each other down at, and that giant Pokemon trainer. Melee and Brawl follow this intro's example by showing the starting roster doing random non-Smash things, and have several different shots of actual in game fighting, however brief. One particular thing that I'd like to see done with Smash 4's intro that is done here is the random character that the Master Hand pulls out. Its not always Mario that the Master Hand puts on the table, but rather any of the starting cast (I don't believe the secret characters count here). In Melee there's a similar thing that starts off the intro with Mario's trophy coming to life, but its always Mario.

Overall, this is the more nostalgic intro for me, as it was the first. There's a lot more I'd like to say about the style of Smash 64, and how it seems to be all over the place, but I'll save that for another time, since it wanders away a bit from this intro stuff. Perhaps it was because I was a fairly little kid at the time that I got this game, but its just sort of charming having this all be a kid playing with Nintendo toys. Quite frankly, the idea that these aren't the real characters actually helps ease you into the low poly graphics even now when the other two Smash games look so much better and have such flashier intros. Smash 4's into will probably also rely on epic background music and images, but hopefully it will have some of the charm of the original.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If you want a female character in a game, you're a pervert according to Chrono's standards. Krystal? Furry. Lip? Loli.
What am I for wanting Impa?

Could You Be Loved playing on the radio here. ^^ Favorite song from my childhood.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A one man ARMY mind you. :) Besides, as I said before, Skyward Sword fans are generally not opposed to the idea, if antthing they support it.

Don't get me started on Sheik fans however.

And flat chests can be quite attractive on the right girl... ^^

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Remember how we could look up Peach's underwear in Melee and Brawl? Imagine doing that when Palutena is playable in Smash 4! :awesome:

All the more reason to add Palutena... she has such strong sex appeal... ungodly sex appeal! And the best of all is this... she is actually important in Kid Icarus series (a high profile Nintendo franchise despite not having a game since 1991) and she is relevant and she certainly has Sakurai's attention... and fans are starving for more female characters (the same goes for Medusa). This is why I think Palutena and Medusa, but especially Palutena, are very good choices for the Smash 4 roster.
Sex appeal isn't though what made me her fan + supporter today, it's the damn lovable personality she has! I want to hang around with her...
(-U0U-)

But indeed, all hail Palutena to be in SSB4!

Pichu Fan

Smash Journeyman
@diddy
ya, but it's not like people are like "replacing sheik with impa? OMG THAT'S THE BEST IDEA I EVER HEARD"
There more like- "Huh? Ya, I guess that's ok" or like "YOU OUT OF YO MIND DIDDY?"

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
If your gonna put in a character 'cause of sex appeal (which is stupid, but that's beside the point), at least put in somebody with some BOOTY like Jill Valentine, enough with these flat-cheeked bimbos you see in video games

But then again, I'm probably only saying that 'cause I'm black

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sex appeal got ZZS in :awesome:
Also, it's a good example that a lesser popular character made it before a atomic huge demanded character.

And no, not like that Pichu Fan. The only person relpying on this same forum in the SS thread LOVED the idea actually.

And yeah, booty is missed in Smash. Though I imagine such character won't be much of a jumper :laugh:

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I think Palutena (The goddess of light and puns?) will have a much larger roll than she had in Brawl, though I'm not sure if that's going to go all the way up into playable territory. As of now Palutena doesn't seem to be participating in much of the action in Uprising, but she's not really supposed to. I mean Peach and Zelda are sort of in the same boat. Medusa, her main competition, is probably going to fight Pit, though in what capacity (and form!) remains to be seen. In the original Kid Icarus, Medusa was gigantic. What she'll be like in Uprising is anybody's guess.

That being said, even if Palutena doesn't have an active combat role in Kid Icarus, Sakurai seems to have thrown in so many items into there that he could probably scrape up a moveset for her. Pit does use staffs in the game, so maybe those attacks could be given to Palutena? Actually given all the weird stuff Pit seems to be able to do in Uprising, I wonder how much his movesets going to change in Smash 4.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Palutena and Little Mac are to me the most likely characters as newcomers. Chrome comes next.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Since we're on the topic...

Palutena

Attributes:Palutena is a lightweight character with a weight similar to Z.S. Samus (32nd, 81). Her size is quite large and is around Ganondorf's size. Being in a dress as well her walking speed is close to Zelda's (36th). While, surprisingly her dash speed is close to Lucario's (22nd). Falling Speed is the same as Samus's (37th). And her air speed is the same as Marth (11th).

Playstyle: Palutena can be played in many different ways. Her great projectiles can allow her to have great spacing potential especially when combined with her amazing but limited D-Special for defense; which can also be used for her offensive and approach. Her throws and aerial game are better than most characters, and she has one of the best recoveries in the game. She, however, is quite floaty and is a lightweight character meaning she is quite easy to kill. She also has slightly less kill moves than most characters as well. There is no real distinct way to play as her.
Entrance - Floats down in a beam of light.

Neutral Special - Light Ball - stops, waves her staff and it launches the ball end at the opponent. When it connects it causes the opponent to fall into a dazed state. It is chargeable and the charge can be held. The longer it's charged the longer the daze state, but the hit box and size are fixed. It does not cause a daze state when the opponent is in the air, but it does cause the opponent to flinch like any other projectile. Does 5%, 13% when fully charged.

Side Special - Centurion - Similar to Pit's FS, it summons just one Centurion that homes in on an opponent. It can be attacked. Only 1 can be summoned at the same time, and the move can only be used again once the first Centurion leaves the screen. Is a good follow up to Light ball. Is one of her few killing moves. Does 15% per hit.

Up Special - Miracle of Flight - Gain the ability to fly similar to MvC’s flying moves. It therefore does not have any startup lag and you can attack during it. It lasts for 3.5 seconds, but like R.O.B.’s Up-Special you have a re-charge time of 2.5 seconds. If it expires mid-air it leaves you in a helpless state. Being attacked during the duration of the move does not leave you in a helpless state. It can also be shielded out of.

Down Special - Crystal Rod - Based the Crystal Rod item from the first 2 KI games. Palutena waves her staff and creates 2 clone orbs. Two orbs rotate around her in a 360 motion doing damage with no knockback. Every 2 hits by the orbs causes the opponent to flinch. It can stay out as long as her damage % does not exceed 50%. It is a mix of Vergil’s swords and Stirder’s Ouroboros Hypers from MvC. Does not do extra damage when throwing, nor does it do damage to an opponent's shield. Does 4% per hit.

Final Smash - Burst of Light
- She slams her staff onto the ground, the screen flashes and it puts opponents into a stunned state if they're on the ground while putting air born opponents in a helpless state. Does 30% to all opponents.

AAA - She raises her palm out and releases a burst of light. Think Mewtwo's AAA. It has a slightly disjointed hit box. Does 5% on the first hit, 2% on each hit thereafter.
Forward Tilt - swings her arm and her shield strikes the opponent. It has good knockback. It has the best knockback of her tilts. Does 10%.
Up Tilt - Raises her arm in the air and bonks the opponent with her shield. Good for Juggling. Does 9%
Down Tilt - Kneels down and strikes the opponent with her foot. Think Zelda's D-Tilt but with slightly longer range (she’s taller than her).Does 7-8%.
Dash Attack - does a slide similar to Mario's dash, it has a very laggy end and it slides her forward. Does 8%.

Neutral Air - Spins her staff for a full body attack, similar to Ike's N-Air. It has average knockback. Does 9%.
Forward Air - leans forward and swings her arm to hit the opponent with her shield. One of her few kill moves. Does 11%.
Up Air - looks up and flips herself upside-down to hit the opponent vertically with her shield. Good for Juggling. Does 9%.
Down Air - a standard dive kick. Does 9%.
Back Air - Swings her arm back and hits the opponent with her shield. Average knockback. Does 12%

Forward Smash - Palutena's version of Cap's "Charging Star." It has Super Armor like Wario's Forward Smash and it also goes farther as well. It has poor knockback for a Smash attack. Very little start up lag. Does 17-19%.
Up Smash - Raises her staff up and the ball explodes in a burst of light. Has a slightly disjointed hit box. Is one of her few kill moves. Does 16-20%
Down Smash - Raises her staff and slams it on the ground, creating a small shockwave that hit in front and behind. Causes large horizontal knockback making it one of her few kill moves. Does 15%-18%.

Pummel - Hits the opponent with her knee. Does 3%.
Forward Throw - Throws the opponent up at a 45 degree angle, waves her staff and causes a small explosion of light to send the opponent flying further. Has the best knockback of her throws. Does 5% for the throw, 7% for the explosion.
Up Throw - Throws the opponent up at a 90 degree angle, waves her staff and causes a small explosion of light to send the opponent flying further. Above average knockback. Does 5% for the throw, 7% for the explosion.
Down Throw - Does a short hop, leans down and blasts the opponent with the ball end of her staff into the ground. It launches the opponent vertically. Does 10%.
Back Throw - Throws the opponent up at a 135 degree angle, waves her staff and causes a small explosion of light to send the opponent flying further. Above average knockback. Does 5% for the throw, 7% for the explosion.

Other:
Shield - Like Link, in idle animation she can block projectiles with her shield.

Taunts:
1. Winks to the players off screen.
2. Spins her staff playfully.
3. She glows and emits light.

Costumes:
Blue - Original Design
White - OM&M Design
Gray - GB Design
Black - Fallen Angel
Gold
Green
Red

Kirby Hat:
Gains her hair and head piece

Pros:
Easy to rack up damage with
Good mix-ups
Amazing Projectiles
Great Recovery
Good Throws
Good Aerials

Cons:
Lightweight
Floaty
Few kill moves
Poor ground game
Large Hitbox

I'm busy right now so I'll start my KI ranting when I'm done.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Palutena and Little Mac are to me the most likely characters as newcomers.

Eh, I wouldn't put her in Little Mac range just yet. While officially not his character, Palutena's reinvention was spearheaded by Sakurai, and Sakurai is sort of the modest type (or so he says). He did eventually put in Meta Knight and Dedede into Brawl, but has put on record that he only did so because he thought Brawl would be his last Smash games. Otherwise he was hesitant about adding more of his own characters. That and we still don't know everything about Uprising yet. There could really be a better character to use from there, and we can't possibly know.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sorry to disappoint but I think Meowth, Duck Hunt Dog, and Tingle are more likely to not show up. Toad and Dixie Kong have a decent enough shot though.
Ugh... I know... that's why I said it is a tall order. :urg: I still support them because I think they would be really interesting as fighters.

A nimble cat that fights with ninja-like scratches and throws coins like shurikens. Imagine all the new LOLCat macros featuring Meowth when he is playable in Smash!

A hunting dog that fights with ducks, clay pigeons, and the NES Zapper. I bet he would inspire many troll macros and Advice Dog macros when he is playable in Smash. :troll:

A Balloon Fighter that fights with Rupees, bombs, and fairies... and amazingly enough, he isn't useless even after his balloon pops!

A nimble Mushroom Retainer that fights with various mushrooms and paradoxically possesses superhuman strength.

A nimble Rapunzel-like monkey with a strong air game teamed with a musclehead of a baby gorilla with a powerful grappling game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At least Palutena will make it I guess, she had quite an appearance in Brawl already with the SSE cutscene and Final Smash involvement. The new game is also namee after her, and she's probably easier to make in the game than Medusa (who I actually prefer). I say she's 2nd likely, with Mac be nr.1 and Chrome nr.3.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Tri-Hy: I wonder what are ya gonna rant about.

And that's brilliant moveset there...

Same arguments as always. "waits for someone Strong to oppose me"

I gotta say though, I'm liking some of Pieman's arguments, so I'll probably just be adding to them.

AFK I'm eating. lol

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Umm... how? Ninten and Ness look exactly the same. It is like saying Jumpman should be an alternate costume for Mario.
In some official works (Mother soundtrack) and mostly fan art, Ninten did have a big red bandana around his neck.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I see the point in Piemans arguement but I expect at least ONE new Kid Icarus character, and my best bet is Palutena. Would ideally want both Medusa and her actually, but don't count on it. Also am loving that moveset that was posted by ---!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Diddy: I think Medusa makes it in too, I mean, she's the villain, besides I wanna see Ganondorf X Medusa-fanart being done around the globe, because Queen of Darkness must meet King Of Evil.

Can't you see how perfect it would be!? (-òωó-)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I mentioned this yesterday (or maybe the day before), however, Sakurai confiirmed that Kid Icarus Uprising is finished and has gone gold. That means he will finally begin development on Smash 4.

As to the topic of Palutena and Medusa, if one of them gets in, there is a very strong possibility that the other will get in too (the other will probably be a hidden character).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Of coarse, but I see Palutena fit in just a little bit easier. I do prefer Medusa over her though, but I want in both anyways.

Medusa should be able to turn characters into stone, or at least immobilize them with a move similar to Mewtwo's Disable. Mewtwo should get something else instead though.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have a good feeling we might see some SonicxKrystal and TakamaruxZelda in the future. XD
No. Don't even joke about that.

This whole talk of shipping is stupid anyway. Keep that anime garbage out of my Smash Bros.

Like I said earlier, it could be another 1.5 years before we even get a reveal for Smash 4.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You mean like hentai? :smirk:

And yeah, about 1.5 years seems about right. How long till the next Zelda gets some info though?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
One leads to the other with these kind of things. And no, I never talked about having that in Smash.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
And yeah, about 1.5 years seems about right. How long till the next Zelda gets some info though?

Keep in mind that Kid Icarus Uprising started development in March 2009 and was not reveled until E3 2010. So it spent over a year in development before it was unveiled.

The same could be true for Smash Bros. since its not only in development for two platforms, but also a far more powerful one at that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Keep in mind that Kid Icarus Uprising started development in March 2009 and was not reveled until E3 2010. So it spent over a year in development before it was unveiled.

The same could be true for Smash Bros. since its not only in development for two platforms, but also a far more powerful one at that.
Sooo.... assuming the world doesn't end this December 21, we might see SSB4 revealed in E3 2013.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That being said, we could have some news or at least something by next year February if it toom one year to come up with actually... Quite a lot for Kid Icarus. How long was Brawl in development when we got that trailer?

Also, is Kid Icarus called Uprising or Palutena's Mirror now???

Lol I am ALWAYS the slowest to relpy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Diddy, "Palutena's Mirror" is the Japanese name of the series. The series is called "Kid Icarus" in the West.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
[collapse= Palutena stumbles to read what we wrote about...]

--- said:
I'm starting to think that pretty much all of the Palutena and Medusa supporters are perverts. :awesome:

Palutena said:
Pardon, but I sure know my followers aren't naughty. Medusa's, on the other hand...
[/collapse]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom