• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Shortie, Chu can't possibly know that for sure. Not 100%. Brawl could very well be IMBA competitively without MK. Ask anybody in the know that actually goes to tourneys; even they aren't sure about it. It's nebulous.

I was speaking purely from an entry level.

Smooth Criminal

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I decided go into some details that I think are important in regards to speculation pertaining Fire Emblem in Smash Bros.

Most Smash fans believe that Sakurai's original plan for the final roster of Brawl was to include Mewtwo and Roy included as playable characters. This is inferred from a file listing from one of Sakurai's scrapped features for Brawl, unique victory themes for every character on Brawl's roster (except Wolf).

snd_bgm_Z01_FMARIO
snd_bgm_Z02_FDONKEY
snd_bgm_Z03_FLINK
snd_bgm_Z04_FSAMUS
snd_bgm_Z05_FYOSSY
snd_bgm_Z06_FKIRBY
snd_bgm_Z07_FFOX
snd_bgm_Z08_FPIKACHU
snd_bgm_Z09_FLUIGI
snd_bgm_Z10_FCAPTAIN
snd_bgm_Z11_FNESS
snd_bgm_Z12_FKUOPA
snd_bgm_Z13_FPEACH
snd_bgm_Z14_FZELDA
snd_bgm_Z15_FSHEIK
snd_bgm_Z16_FICHICLIMBER
snd_bgm_Z17_FMARTH
snd_bgm_Z18_FGAMEWATCH
snd_bgm_Z19_FFALCO
snd_bgm_Z20_FGANON
snd_bgm_Z21_FWARIO
snd_bgm_Z22_FMETAKNIGHT
snd_bgm_Z23_FPITT
snd_bgm_Z24_FZEROSAMUS
snd_bgm_Z25_FPIKMIN
snd_bgm_Z26_FLUCAS
snd_bgm_Z27_FDIDDY
snd_bgm_Z28_FPOKETRAINER
snd_bgm_Z32_FDEDEDE
snd_bgm_Z33_FLICARIO
snd_bgm_Z34_FIKE
snd_bgm_Z35_FROBOT
snd_bgm_Z37_FPURIN
snd_bgm_Z38_FMYU2
snd_bgm_Z39_FROY

snd_bgm_Z41_FTOONLINK
snd_bgm_Z46_FSNAKE
snd_bgm_Z47_FSONIC

This listing showed that Mewtwo and Roy were kept on the roster long after the other characters for the Forbidden 7 had been dropped. The conventional wisdom is that Sonic being placed in so late in the game's development, that development resources had to be allocated from the final five characters that were in development (Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Roy, Toon Link, and Wolf) toward Sonic (since unlike the other five, there was no prior planning for his moveset). Jigglypuff was placed on a higher priority due to her seniority in the series, while Toon Link and Wolf were kept because they were new characters, and Sakurai wanted to implement as many new characters as possible. It was thus that Mewtwo and Roy were dropped as a result of priorities and time constraints. It also shows that if Mewtwo and Roy were in Brawl, they would have had no role in the SSE (since their listing is between Jigglypuff and Toon Link).

I hope this helps clarify a few things.
I find it very interesting that Jigglypuff is literally isolated from all the other veterans despite it's "Original 12" status. Doesn't mean he's likely to go for SSB4, but it shows he has less priority in regards to even some new characters.

The other thing I found interesting is the large spaces between the numbers for each character's filename, starting between Pokemon Trainer and King Dedede. Might have originally been just placeholders for characters that were scrapped, but interesting nevertheless.
I don't suck, I'm just lazy as hell...
That explains everything...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
The other thing I found interesting is the large spaces between the numbers for each character's filename, starting between Pokemon Trainer and King Dedede. Might have originally been just placeholders for characters that were scrapped, but interesting nevertheless.
Squirtle (as 29), Ivysaur (30), and Charizard (31) would be my guess.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Jigglypuff was added later, because she was an easier character to create? I mean, she isn't Kirby, Link, Mario, or Pikachu AND she's always been unlockable, so she didn't have to make a trailer debut. She wasn't a newcomer who was being shown off to hype the game. She LOOKS like she is one of the easiest characters to design as well, so I think it's safe to say she was priotized last because of the nature of Jigglypuff, not because "SHE WUZNT UMPORTANT".

Fobmescs

Smash Cadet
How about a item called a blue mushroom. It first appeared from..............I'm not sure. Maybe "Super Paper Mario."

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
But what about the 5 character skip between Toon Link and Snake? :/

:phone:
... the other 5 of the forbidden 7

also to reply to some old posts: I want Krom/Chrome because i love fire emblem. I can't say its anything other than that because his game isn't even out so I can't really say anything about the character himself.

D

Deleted member

... the other 5 of the forbidden 7

also to reply to some old posts: I want Krom/Chrome because i love fire emblem. I can't say its anything other than that because his game isn't even out so I can't really say anything about the character himself.
I think we should wait and see if Krom is different from Ike and how well Krom is received before supporting him. Right now, I see no reason to do so other then "he's new", which should not get a character in by default.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I agree with SSBF. As much as I like FE and want more characters, I think we should wait before we jump to conclusions. Besides other than Sakurai being the one to pick FE characters there is nothing we can really go off of other then fan popularity, which even then is no guarantee.

Off-Topic: I finished my next review feel free to check it out on my blog.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How about a item called a blue mushroom. It first appeared from..............I'm not sure. Maybe "Super Paper Mario."
Your suggesting an item without a clear understanding of what to do with it?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I agree with SSBF. As much as I like FE and want more characters, I think we should wait before we jump to conclusions. Besides other than Sakurai being the one to pick FE characters there is nothing we can really go off of other then fan popularity, which even then is no guarantee.
*Looks at the Micaiah, Black Knight, Lyn, and Caeda fans*

No we cannot. Although I would rather see them over Chrome, ANYDAY. I suppose the real big characters are: Marth, Ike, Roy, Chrome. That's about it for now. Possibly that Liz girl, if you end of playing the whole "Double team" thing the whole way through the game.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
How many blue hairs are there in Fire Emblem anyway? Caeda has blue hair, the Black Knight has blue hair. Are Micaiah and Roy the only almost-plausible non-blues out there?!

...I just noticed that together they all have RED, WHITE, and BLUE hair.

USA! USA! USA!

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Squirtle (as 29), Ivysaur (30), and Charizard (31) would be my guess.
Makes sense, I guess. I wonder how Pokemon Trainer's character is exactly programmed in the game then, since he is mostly just a background character.

Plus, I just realized if you add in Wolf and the rest of the Forbidden Seven as Ussi said, and it actually gets rid of all the blank spaces.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Jigglypuff was added later, because she was an easier character to create? I mean, she isn't Kirby, Link, Mario, or Pikachu AND she's always been unlockable, so she didn't have to make a trailer debut. She wasn't a newcomer who was being shown off to hype the game. She LOOKS like she is one of the easiest characters to design as well, so I think it's safe to say she was priotized last because of the nature of Jigglypuff, not because "SHE WUZNT UMPORTANT".
Wouldn't easier characters get done first, especially if they're franchise veterans with established fanbases? I mean, all the veterans but Jigglypuff were done first thing. And Jigglypuff is twelve characters behind the rest of the veterans. It seems silly that they would move Jigglypuff near the end because she's easy when she's a Smash veteran. I mean, she's literally sitting right next to two of the characters that got cut, which seems to me like if we got one more character cut in Brawl, it would have been Jigglypuff.

Of course this is all silly theories, though. Jigglypuff made it in, and that's all that matters.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Jigglypuff was probably added later because they could just copy a lot of Kirby's floaty air game and style in the ground game. It definitely shows, given that they aren't too far apart in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

Also, does anyone have any coding for Smash 64 and Melee=??? I think if we have data from that we could more clearly translate what this data meant in Brawl, and what it could mean for future smash bros games.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
May as well post my roster. Everyone else did.

Mario Characters:
Mario (with a Dr. Mario costume, of course)
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.

Donkey Kong Characters:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool

Yoshi Characters:
Yoshi

Wario Characters:
Wario

Legend of Zelda Characters:
Link
Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Ghirahim

Metroid Characters
Samus/Zero Suit Samus
Ridley

Kid Icarus Characters:
Pit
Medusa

F-Zero Characters:
Captain Falcon

Pokemon Characters: (Here's where it gets controversial...)
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard)
Mewtwo
Lucario
Victini

Starfox Series:
Fox
Falco
Wolf

Kirby Series:
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede

Fire Emblem Series:
Marth
Ike
Roy or Chrome (As of now, Roy.)

Mother Series:
Ness
Lucas

Pikmin Series:
Olimar

Retro Series:
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game and Watch
R.O.B.
Muddy Mole

New Franchise Representative Characters:
Little Mac
Isaac
Starfy
Shulk
Mii

Third Party Series:
Sonic
Snake
Mega Man

Total:
50 Characters, not counting transformations or Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon

Newcomers:
Bowser Jr.
King K. Rool
Mewtwo
Victini
Roy
Little Mac
Ghirahim
Isaac
Starfy
Mii
Muddy Mole
Shulk
Medusa
Ridley
Mega Man

Hoping for a good Shorts rating...

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
After looking for Starfy themes that could fit on a Sm4sh Starfy stage, I've noticed that every boss theme in the entire series could work.
However, knowing some of the poor stage-music correlations(Forest/Nature Area on the Halberd, and Route 209 on Spear Pillar :facepalm: ), some of the incredibly peaceful themes will make it instead.
I especially want Ogura's theme from Densetsu No Stafy 1-3.

D

Deleted member

Wow quiet day..

Yeah it's been that way, but to be fair, it probably has the second most amount of posts generated in a day for a Smash 4 speculation site (the winner obviously being GameFAQs). Oh and my new set-up for my upcoming tournament. What do you think of it?
I have also decided to do a system where you vote for the one you prefer, but debate is highly encouraged for is the better candidate.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Set up looks good. Except for the lack of Muddy Mole... Nothing seems blatantly unfair.

And yeah, too quiet...

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
We're probably due for one later tonight. Until then, we can always discuss my tournament set-up.
I think the matches on the right side are much more fair than they were, with the exception of Megaman vs. Dr. Layton, but that's probably my bias towards Megaman. :p
I noticed the left side didn't change at all, and I think that's good, considering they were all fair anyways. :bee:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
HRM, apparently one of those six Kid Icarus short animations is going to feature Medusa as the PROTAGONIST. That'll be pretty interesting.

How often do we see that sort of characterization from Nintendo.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
HRM, apparently one of those six Kid Icarus short animations is going to feature Medusa as the PROTAGONIST. That'll be pretty interesting.

How often do we see that sort of characterization from Nintendo.
Source? I am very curious about this.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
A blue Kirby -> then once defeated a mask falls onto it's face and then a sword and cape magically appear -> then fight vs. MK

/some random thought

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
- Mewtwo
- Roy
- Dr. Mario
- Dixie Kong
- Plusle & Minun
- Toon Zelda
- Toon Sheik

They are often referred to as being the "Forbidden 7" by the Smash community. There are known reasons as to why some of these characters were dropped. For Dixie Kong, Sakurai mentioned in a Famitsu interview that he originally intended for Diddy & Dixie to be a duo when fighting, however, his team was unable to get team play mechanics to work for them, so Dixie was scrapped. This may have also been the reason that Plusle & Minun was scrapped as well, since they would have utilized a team-based moveset of some sort (however, there are many who also believe that their team play may have been more akin to the Ice Climbers than what Sakurai had planned for Diddy & Dixie). As for Dr. Mario, Toon Zelda, and Toon Sheik, the probable reason as to why they were dropped were possibly Sakurai thinking they did not differentiate themselves enough to be placed on Brawl's roster (as well as for time constraint reasons).
It's really disappointing that these characters didn't make it to Brawl's roster in time. It would've been great to see the Ice Climbers' style of play expanded on for Brawl, with the inclusions of Diddy & Dixie and Plusle & Minun. Three 2-for-1 packages; how can you go wrong with that? The Toon Sheik bit I don't think should happen at all, mainly because there is no such character. It should be replaced with Tetra.

I'm getting my little "thing" done as we speak, should be cool.
What kind of fools do you take us all for?

Oh, and to Shortie. Thanks for rating my roster. I'm working on trying to make a decent explanation as to why I included who I did. It's taking me a little bit...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Source? I am very curious about this.
UH WELL, I saw it on the Kid Icarus wiki here. There weren't any sources provided. I just did a google search trying to find something, and the first result was this. It just deals with her rise to power between Kid Icarus and Uprising, so perhaps using "protagonist" was a bit out of place after all. STILL THOUGH, she's the main focus it seems.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
UH WELL, I saw it on the Kid Icarus wiki here. There weren't any sources provided. I just did a google search trying to find something, and the first result was this. It just deals with her rise to power between Kid Icarus and Uprising, so perhaps using "protagonist" was a bit out of place after all.
Hmmmm.

Three of the OVAs will focus on Pit, two of them will focus on Palutena, and one of them will focus on Medusa.

It also seems these OVAs will be distributed through the Nintendo e-shop.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Yeah it's been that way, but to be fair, it probably has the second most amount of posts generated in a day for a Smash 4 speculation site (the winner obviously being GameFAQs). Oh and my new set-up for my upcoming tournament. What do you think of it?
I have also decided to do a system where you vote for the one you prefer, but debate is highly encouraged for is the better candidate.
You may have already responded, in which case I simply forgot, but I think a couple of the match-ups are unfair. Waluigi and Krytstal, for example, stand no chance against Paper Mario and Ridley respectively. My preferred match-ups for some of the characters you selected:

Waluigi Vs. Rosalina
Paper Mario Vs.] Young Link
Geno Vs.] Black Mage
Little Mac Vs. Isaac
Shulk Vs. Saki
Ray MK III Vs. Starfy
Megaman Vs. Slime
Professor Layton Vs. Ryu Hayabusa

It does add some characters into the competition, but I feel these are fairer match-ups.

EDIT: Holy crud, Omega was banned?!?!?

Temporarily. What happened? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom