• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Am I the only one disturbed by the fact that Opelucid is posting his SSB4 thoughts while there is a gunman outside his school?

Anyways... Berserker, go to my Stage Conception blog and look at New Super Mario Land.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Broserker: Not knowing hasn't stopped us from making guesses all this time. PART OF THE FUN.

Broasis has both BRO and SIS in it... make up your mind. >:I

FIREBRAND IS COOL I KNOW.

@Chrono: I think he's referring to Phoenix Wright in UMvC3. TYPICAL.

@Star: NOPE, though I'm guessing he's locked in a computer lab or something with nothing better to do. HOPE IT'S SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
On the topic of Wario Land, the best game in that series is easily Virtual Boy Wario Land. Its by far the best game for the Virtual Boy. The only other game I would say for that console that was a gem would be Galactic Pinball. Mario Clash might also be notable if you really like Mario Bros., and is quite addictive.

I came up with a stage idea about Virtual Boy Wario Land all the way back in 2004. I don't remember the specific details, but it did involve the jumping from the foreground to the background gimmick.

On a sidenote, I think some people underestimate how important Mario Kart DS was in regards to Sakurai considering ROB. Mario Kart DS was the higher selling game in the Mario Kart series in Japan., and has sold over 3.5 million copies in Japan alone.

As to who will likely be a likely newcomer for Mario Kart 7, that is really difficult to guess seeing as how many of them have been "lol random" since Mario Kart Double Dash (Toadette in Double Dash, ROB in DS, Baby Daisy, Funky Kong, Dry Bowser in Wii, Metal Mario in 7). Perhaps that is the reason why there are barely anyone who speculates on Mario Kart rosters despite the series being bigger than Smash Bros.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Ridley: Already named in my post as one of the few recognizable non-Mario Nintendo characters not yet playable in Smash Bros.

K. Rool: Already named in my post as one of the few recognizable non-Mario Nintendo characters not yet playable in Smash Bros.

Yup

Mewtwo: Melee veteran and notable Pokemon

Yup

Paper Mario: Mario character

And a character I personally feel would fit very well within the Smash universe. Having 2 2-D fighters in one game would be awesome. Game and Watch vs. Paper Mario, anyone?

Zoroark: Only those who follow Pokemon know who he is, and for those that do he is nothing more than some 10-year-old's "Dark Lucario" design.

This post shows your obvious bias aganst it. FYI other than having a similar body type to Lucario, Zoroark is nothing like Lucario and has the unique ability to transform into any other Pokemon... A trait only shared by Ditto itself. Although somewhat redundant, Zoroark has more potential for a unique moveset than any other potential Pokemon by far thanks to that ability alone. I'm all for Zoroark replacing Lucario as the official generation 5 rep while adding Mewtwo back to the roster.

I'm unsure about its worldwide popularity but your comment about only Pokemon fans knowing about it is a bad argument since the same could easily be said about Lucario for Brawl... But it got in.

Krystal: No one gives a damn about Star Fox after 64 outside of furries. Minor side character outside of Adventures.

No one who plays Pikmin gives a damn about Olimar. See what I did there?

All it takes is a new Star Fox for the Wii-U (very probable) and all of the sudden StarFox is relevant again and Krystal is that much more pivotal to the series if she's included (also very likely).

Little Mac: Notable in the West due to Punch-Out NES. In Japan though, he is just another obscure retro.

Who honestly knew about Fire Emblem before Melee? Maybe adding Little Mac to the roster could be seen as a good marketing move for the Punch Out series in Japan?

Ghirahim: We'll see when Skyward Sword is released how important he really is in the game, and how well received he is. If he ends up being another Zant, he will pretty much have the same amount of support as that character did.

We have yet to see how prominent his role will be but I'm just throwing names out there.

Samurai Goroh: F-Zero has always been much more niche than all of the series introduced in Smash 64 with the exception of Mother. F-Zero has not had a new game since 2004.

Pikmin hasn't had a new game since 2004 and look at Olimar. Plus like I said with StarFox, all it takes is a new F-Zero on Wii-U and that problem is solved.

Bomberman: Third-party characters whose company recently got bought out and nearly all of their games canned (outside of mobile phones). Bomberman also had not had a noteworthy game since the Nintendo 64.

Bomberman is a stretch and just a character I threw out there that I would personally like to see in terms of 3rd party characters. But the overall point is that it's not an obscure character to choose from like you suggested.
Responses in bold.

You got so busy arguing over which characters have a good chance of getting in or not that you strayed away from my original argument; there are still plenty of notable and relevant characters for Nintendo to add to the Smash series. Those were just examples I threw out there and there are probably quite a few more... Plus you forgot Bowser Jr.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Sakurai has said something along the lines of "first impressions are invaluable" which leads me to believe that characters that offer something... READILY interesting would have an advantage over the Sheriffs and Hunting dogs. You can tack a moveset onto anything, but obviously for some you're grasping for straws from the beginning.

Am I the only one placing near-utmost significance on something Sakurai himself describes as placing utmost importance on?

"They placed the "utmost importance" on character individuality, Sakurai said. From a very early point, they considered what each character could bring to the game in terms of unique aspects."
If you're saying what I think you're saying, you've just earned yourself 200 Toise Tokens.

As to who will likely be a likely newcomer for Mario Kart 7, that is really difficult to guess seeing as how many of them have been "lol random" since Mario Kart Double Dash (Toadette in Double Dash, ROB in DS, Baby Daisy, Funky Kong, Dry Bowser in Wii, Metal Mario in 7). Perhaps that is the reason why there are barely anyone who speculates on Mario Kart rosters despite the series being bigger than Smash Bros.
No one cares about Mario Kart rosters because they all play the same and the selection is pretty weak compared to Smash.

@Broserker: Not knowing hasn't stopped us from making guesses all this time. PART OF THE FUN.

Broasis has both BRO and SIS in it... make up your mind. >:I

FIREBRAND IS COOL I KNOW.

@Chrono: I think he's referring to Phoenix Wright in UMvC3. TYPICAL.

@Star: NOPE, though I'm guessing he's locked in a computer lab or something with nothing better to do. HOPE IT'S SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
Brosis it is

And I was talking about Marvel's Phoenix. If used well like Sentinel, she can destroy 3 fighters without help of anyone of her assists. WTF.

D

Deleted member

@The Real Gamer: In regards to your Zoroark comment, move set potentials has no bearing on who is more likely. Sakurai has been shown to disregard it many times (a la Krystal in favor of Wolf). Zoroark will have to get in by other merits.

People have got to stop suggesting characters as replacements for perfectly fine characters.

Finally, F-zero and Star Fox's latest games didn't do so hot, so they may not get a game on the Wii-U.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
@The Real Gamer: In regards to your Zoroark comment, move set potentials has no bearing on who is more likely. Sakurai has been shown to disregard it many times (a la Krystal in favor of Wolf). Zoroark will have to get in by other merits.

People have got to stop suggesting characters as replacements for perfectly fine characters. Zoroark supporters are the most guilty of this.

Lucario is more popular then any 5th gen Pokemon can hope for and Zoroark is already down from his peak.

:phone:
That's why I said "although redundant."

Did you even read why I posted those names in the first place?

D

Deleted member

@The Real Gamer: Yes and I do agree that Zoroark is relevant and popular (I edited my last post to reflect this). What I fail to see is how move set potentials has any bearing on characters chances.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yo Toise, if you're still here, Clint Eastwood here has a quick question. Do you think Sakurai truly follows his stated character guideline or is he just being a hypocrite?

1. The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game.

2. The character must be unique.

(The character must have identifying features and abilities that would make them different from existing characters, so that they add something to the game.)

3. The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.

4. They must contribute to the game balance.
Also looking at why Mega Man was left out of MvC3, do you think that Sakurai might pull something similar in regards to the inclusion of certain characters?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
@The Real Gamer: Yes and I do agree that Zoroark is relevant and popular (I edited my last post to reflect this). What I fail to see is how move set potentials has any bearing on characters chances.

*SIGH* I will repeat for the last time that I stated that Zoroark has more moveset potential than any other Pokemon ALTHOUGH IT IS FAIRLY REDUNDANT IN TERMS OF ITS CHANCES ON GETTING IN.

I will also repeat for the last time that I'm not trying to argue over which characters have a greater probability of getting in all I'm saying is that Nintendo still has a good number of relevant characters to choose from for Smash 4.

Common dude work with me here. -.-

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@Clint: He generally follows it, yeah. Keep in mind that

A) he's never just talking about a character's moveset in terms of being unique
B) he might be a bit more lenient towards certain characters, especially if they're a late addition
C) we don't know the full extent of characters he hasn't included or why, so our grasp of his judgment isn't whole

As for the UMvC3 comparison, are we talking about Capcom's reasons (excuses) for leaving him out or the concept of leaving out someone that important? If it's the former, you gotta fill me in on the details.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have a feeling that Capcom has been keeping Mega Man out of Marvel vs. Capcom because he is going to end up being in Smash Bros. He is the strongest "specific" character that I am confident on getting in Smash 4 (whereas while I think a Pokemon newcomer and Kid Icarus newcomer are "shoe-ins", I am not sure who will get those spots). The fact that Capcom America has brought the matter of Mega Man being in Smash Bros. to the attention to Capcom Japan and how Ono said he would love for Mega Man to be in Smash Bros. makes me feel very confident about Mega Man's chances.

This is especially good for Mega Man since these things are coming together even before development on Smash 4 has begun. I even expect Mega Man to be among the first batch of newcomers unveiled.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
As for the UMvC3 comparison, are we talking about Capcom's reasons (excuses) for leaving him out or the concept of leaving out someone that important? If it's the former, you gotta fill me in on the details.
Here's the link.

Anyway I was just curious seeing as MvC3's director stated he kept MM out as he thought it would change his character as a whole (that's at least how I understood it).

So might Sakurai do something similar seeing as he does try to make characters stay somewhat true to their respective games and design?

Or might not any of this matter looking at Captain Falcon and the SF characters?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Here's the link.

Anyway I was just curious seeing as MvC3's director stated he kept MM out as he thought it would change his character as a whole (that's at least how I understood it).

So might Sakurai do something similar seeing as he does try to make characters stay somewhat true to their respective games and design?

Or might not any of this matter looking at Captain Falcon and the SF characters?
I don't think it would matter. Captain Falcon would be my reasoning.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Yeah, he doesn't worry about staying accurate at all. It's not just with movesets either. Falcon's supposed to be like Batman: showing up out of nowhere, doing the impossible, then leaving without saying much (if anything). Marth's Smash quotes make him a braggart, but FE Marth is anything but. I don't recall Luigi ever being so camp in anything else either, or Wario being awkwardly animated.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Wow... That was quite the "filling in the blanks" routine. I'm disappointed.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
That wasn't directed towards you Toise... Stupid mobile browser and its inability to quote properly.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yeah, he doesn't worry about staying accurate at all. It's not just with movesets either. Falcon's supposed to be like Batman: showing up out of nowhere, doing the impossible, then leaving without saying much (if anything). Marth's Smash quotes make him a braggart, but FE Marth is anything but. I don't recall Luigi ever being so camp in anything else either, or Wario being awkwardly animated.
Well thanks for you time and thoughts Toise. We often get carried away in this thread and I was looking for some clarification to maybe help end some of the dumb arguements that come up here.

Also Captain Falcon is Batman? Not Bruce Wayne? Awesome. :cool:

Clint Eastwood. Out.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Turns out the guy was trying to rob a flee market near the school with a gun, so he wasn't actually in he was really close though

Thino

Smash Master
4. They must contribute to the game balance.
yea, they should hire better testers if he really wants that to be anywhere near truth

but knowing Sakurai , he's prolly talking about balance with items on normal

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...I normally read everything. But over 1,000 pages? No, too much.

Anyway, my biggest hope is better balance. Likewise, I'd like to see playable bosses via a Boss Mode with the Wii U Controller.(presuming bosses beyond Master Hand and Crazy Hand return)

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
This is the multi-quote from yesterday that I forgot about :/
[collapse=""]
Obsessed? Just read the manga, that's all I'm asking of people. Also I'm not the only one, have you met our dear friend N?

As for the Spoon these are my reasons for supporting it:
  • It appeared with him in his first major media appearance, which was the manga.
  • Satoshi Tajiri has stated that the manga is the most realistic interpertation to his original idea of Pokemon.
  • The manga has already done major Smash references so I think Smash should return the favor.
  • The manga has much more realistic interpretations of Pokemon battles of which seem to fit Smash better then how the anime handles them.
  • With Mewtwo, having gained his own signature move in the 5th Gen, it does seem to reference the Spoon due to the name and how damage is applied.
  • It's an easy way to buff Mewtwo overall.
  • It's ****ing bad ***.

As for Teleport, it's just a random thought that popped into my head seeing as QA had much more lag then it in Melee, but you can now cancel it. So one can imagine what could have been if Mewtwo got his own version of it. Besides, I'm also trying to balance him. :p

Also how about something like this for a FS?
nLiM8d right? Not obsessed, I just haven't seen the liking to the spoon in this thread as much as you show it :)
QA works differently from Teleport, so I see it being used like Zelda/Sheik's unless there's a cancel I don't know about.
As for the sword/lance, I think it'd be awesome since I liked using the Beam Sword, HR Bat, Fan etc with Mewtwo when I used items (dat Dash Attack) I wanna draw a new design for it, but not too flashy I just think it should be a little more bada** than just a spoon haha

@Goku- Crazy Gadget was one hella difficult stage, but personally, Final Chase and Cannon's Core were the worst.

I could never get higher on a D on Final Chase or get through without dying. Stupid gravity pillars. :mad:

And Cannon's Core with Knuckles and Robotnik made me rage harder than fighting Falco with Ness in Event 36 with Melee...

Maybe I should play SA2 again today, that game was so baws.

Wish I could play that game T_T
Final Rush was also confusing since sometimes when I thought I'd die I'd land a rail. After that I'd start using it as a shortcut lol
Rouge's stages were kinda hard at first. Although I grew to love Security Hall for some reason, I still hate Mad Space *FUUUUU.jpg
Canon's Core wasn't too hard with Knuckles, but I cheated since I had the Air Necklace. I can't imagine how many times I would've died at the last part with the switch :O

WHY CAN'T THE OTHER SONIC GAMES BE LIKE THIS

lol

I was talking with some ppl who approve Toon Link. After speaking with them, I learned another factor about some characters (and yes, I mean it). How cute can they get? I am not joking, and I lol'd about it (I'm in the dark on this topic, if you didn't kno). So after looking at some pics, I figured out that maybe we can bring Young Link back:

Just something to think about.
You didn't talk to me :(
So you mean you could bring Y.Link back for being cute? I always thought the "Toon" games were cuter...[/collapse]
Don't forget Jiggs' Rest "explosion" or her multi jumps (that's debatable, I just think her float ability should be more like Peach's)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Don't forget Jiggs' Rest "explosion" or her multi jumps (that's debatable, I just think her float ability should be more like Peach's)
Jigglypuff's body structure was nearly identical to Kirby's, so she got similar jumps to his. I'm not sure if she could use multi-jumps in the Anime or not. I think she could?

As for Rest, they could've made a better name for it. Atleast it's better than her healing all her health in this case, right? I mean, even 10% if they can't punish it quickly enough is pretty good.

^ Pretty soon. Sakurai should be close to finishing Uprising.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Let's face it, a lot of these moves - according to Toise, I believe? - are pretty much made up. I mean, Peach's butt bomb, C. Falcon's Falcon Punch, Luigi's Green Missle, I mean a lot of these moves are things these characters have otherwise never used in any of their respective games. So while Jigglypuff's exploding Rest, or Marth's high ego is odd, we also have to remember that Smash Bros. does represent a non-canon look at these characters through the eyes of what we presume (according to Hex) to be the eyes and imagination of a child.

I hope that wasn't too verbose. :p

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Pretty soon I think. It is October, and that was when they were supposed to officially start I believe(or stop hiring or something), though that was before KI was delayed.
I believe it was supposed to start after Kid Icarus: Uprising was finished. I haven't been paying attention, so I don't know if the game has since been long done or not. Assuming Kid Icarus is already done, then yeah, I'm sure it'd be very soon. Hopefully soon enough for a trailer at E3 or something.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
What is there to debate? Sakurai SAID he is not beginning development on the next Super Smash Bros, until Kid Icarus Uprising is finished.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It got delayed? Well, then I really don't like thinking this way, but I don't think they'll start work on Smash 4 anytime soon. I could be - and hope to be - wrong.
Well, the closest thing we had to a glimmer of hope was a hoax "worksheet" some time back. I just find it sketchy, as the second Iwata(or whoever it was) convinced Sakurai to make a Wii U, he could've made that little sheet.

I don't believe it's real, but I don't believe it couldn't be. Anyway, a similar thing was brought up about how "no work is done", but it didn't address that worksheet itself, which is what worries me. Is it false or not? Should we presume that no work was done, including Sakurai making a small list of ideas? That's the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom